Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #7 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree that YY's body language tells us anything.
UoI is a massive landowner in Southern Illinois and you don't need to be studying Agriculture to know that. More than 30 farms.
It is very possible he had previously seen or selected her. He turned his car around to come back to pick her up. He gained her trust quickly somehow.
Several posters have asked why there re. the body. I am asking who owns the land because so far it has not been stated.

I'll take a bet it's UoI owned land.

I disagree that YY's body language tells us anything.
UoI is a massive landowner in Southern Illinois and you don't need to be studying Agriculture to know that. More than 30 farms.
It is very possible he had previously seen or selected her. He turned his car around to come back to pick her up. He gained her trust quickly somehow.
Several posters have asked why there re. the body. I am asking who owns the land because so far it has not been stated.

I'll take a bet it's UoI owned land.

[FONT=&quot]One of the earlier links gives the name “Carl Vaughan” as the person who found the body — I presumed this was the farmer who owned the land, but perhaps I’m wrong and the UoI owns it???
Like others, I do think the body lang. & minutes that passed indicate that YY was not familiar with BC and had to be coaxed. JMO.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]One of the earlier links gives the name “Carl Vaughan” as the person who found the body — I presumed this was the farmer who owned the land, but perhaps I’m wrong and the UoI owns it???
Like others, I do think the body lang. & minutes that passed indicate that YY was not familiar with BC and had to be coaxed. JMO.

[/FONT]

I don’t she knew him but I do think he knew her. Too coincidental that he was there just as she missed a bus. He was like a lion waiting to pounce. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would not need to stalk a particular person in a campus situation. Lots of new folks all the time, some sheltered, still learning their surroundings. Cruise around the campus for 30 minutes and you'll find an unsuspecting target.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If she's that far away, and not up north headed towards where he grew up, I will be very shocked. The university owns a ton of land all over Illinois. Why go to university land and make it more suspicious that the perp is connected to the university? But even more basic than that, with tons of potential dump sites just like this one but within 20 or 30 minutes, why drive 2 1/2 hours.

Some posters said why so far away? Some said he would dispose of the body somewhere he was familiar with . I am saying he could have been familiar with the area if it was uni land. Also if he was challenged he would show his old uni id. That was what I was addressing. It's a theory based on the fact the uni own tens of thousands of acres. If it's not YY it won't matter anyway.

If she's that far away, and not up north headed towards where he grew up, I will be very shocked. The university owns a ton of land all over Illinois. Why go to university land and make it more suspicious that the perp is connected to the university? But even more basic than that, with tons of potential dump sites just like this one but within 20 or 30 minutes, why drive 2 1/2 hours.

Less likelihood of being recognised. 20 or 30 minutes away is really local for anyone working at the uni I would imagine.

Some posters said why so far away? Some said he would dispose of the body somewhere he was familiar with . I am saying he could have been familiar with the area if it was uni land. Also if he was challenged he would show his old uni id. That was what I was addressing. It's a theory based on the fact the uni own tens of thousands of acres. If it's not YY it won't matter anyway.
I can't see anyone who is not in the ag department being familiar with university of ag land.

Less likelihood of being recognised. 20 or 30 minutes away is really local for anyone working at the uni I would imagine.
Not really. If you drive to Farmer City from the university, it would be highly unlikely to run into someone from the university. And it's not like he'd be stopping at a quick shop in the little town closest to where he dumps a body.

http://www.wsiltv.com/story/3714905...ing-after-human-remains-found-in-wayne-county

"The Wayne County Coroner has confirmed to the Evansville Courier Press a local landowner found the remains Tuesday on a farm in Boyleston, just outside of Fairfield."

http://www.wsiltv.com/video?clipId=14010473&autostart=true

There are a lot of family farms in that area of Wayne County. I'm about 99.9 % sure it is not owned by U of I.

Most people in the area believe it is the body of Megan Nichols who went missing from Fairfield, about 5 miles east of Boyleston, in July, 2014. The fact that the FBI is handling the investigation is what makes some of us question this. However, I think it may be Megan. Whoever it is, I hope justice will be achieved.

http://www.wsiltv.com/story/3714905...ing-after-human-remains-found-in-wayne-county

"The Wayne County Coroner has confirmed to the Evansville Courier Press a local landowner found the remains Tuesday on a farm in Boyleston, just outside of Fairfield."

http://www.wsiltv.com/video?clipId=14010473&autostart=true

There are a lot of family farms in that area of Wayne County. I'm about 99.9 % sure it is not owned by U of I.

Most people in the area believe it is the body of Megan Nichols who went missing from Fairfield, about 5 miles east of Boyleston, in July, 2014.

The fact that the FBI is handling the investigation is what makes some of us question this. However, I think it may be Megan. Whoever it is, I hope justice will be achieved.

TY for the link. They said the FBI out of Springfield are dealing with it. It also said that the guy was looking for firewood and saw the remains as he was going along the side of the road. He didn't want to be on camera which I can understand. It didn't sound like he was the landowner but that hr accessed the area from the public road side of the land. It's just a bit strange. I know there is also speculation about MN but understood a lot of people also believe she was with her father. Hopefully the remains can be identified so that one family has those answers.

Let me end by asking if there are any scientific types on here. Why does DNA testing take weeks or longer? What all is involved?

Once you have the DNA sample isolated, the testing itself is reasonably rapid. The PCR/DNA sequencing (depending on the type of test) reactions and separation of fragments for display and analysis doesn't really take that long. They have reference DNA samples (from YY's dad, mom, and maybe even from YY herself if they were able to get DNA from her hair brush, toothbrush etc..) to compare the DNA from the remains to, so it's just a matter of running the reactions, displaying the results and seeing if they match. If they don't match YY's reference samples, then they can compare the results from the remains to a database of DNA test results from known missing persons to see if there is a match. Doing all that would be just a matter of days.

The big sticking point is in isolating usable DNA from the remains. This is what can delay things. If you get a relatively fresh body, it's easy to get usable DNA from the soft tissue. However, the longer things decay, it becomes harder and harder to isolate DNA. The techniques become more lengthy and involved. They may have to resort to doing rounds of PCR amplification to get useable quantities of genomic DNA for testing -and that introduces another problem: they have to try to ensure they have amplified the subject DNA, and not amplified some DNA that came from contamination. That's one of the reasons you see them wearing hazmat suits a lot of times when they are collecting things; it's not so much that the collectors are being protected from the environment they are working in. Instead, they are trying as best they can to keep from contaminating the samples they collect with their own DNA....

Bones present an additional problem. Soft tissues are typically very cellular (genomic DNA is contained in the nucleus of the cell, so the more cells a tissue has, the more DNA there will be. Genomic DNA is usually what is used for most routine DNA testing). Bone tissue contains few cells, and they are embedded in a calcified matrix. So, you are often faced with three problems when trying to get usable DNA from bones: you have relatively few cells to start with, the procedures for extracting it from that hard, calcified matrix are more involved, and since skeletal remains have usually been decaying for a long time, much of the DNA will be degraded and gone to begin with. Thus, you will have to do amplification probably, and worry about contamination. This all adds up to the ID process usually taking longer. Often times with bones, they will try to do something called mitochondrial DNA testing -because you will often be able to get more of this kind of DNA. Mitochondrial DNA is totally inherited from your mother -so you can compare the mitochondrial DNA sequence from remains to a missing person's mother to confirm if it is them or not. I am assuming that YY's mother gave a DNA sample for reference sample purposes, so they may do this type of test if necessary.

One thing is for sure. If there were other items found with the body and they are doing testing for BC's DNA, the length of time it takes to do this testing will play no role in how long it takes for them to announce who this is. Once they ID the person and notify the family, they will make public who it is. Any positive ID of BC's DNA on material found there would probably only be made public when presented at the trial.

Not really. If you drive to Farmer City from the university, it would be highly unlikely to run into someone from the university. And it's not like he'd be stopping at a quick shop in the little town closest to where he dumps a body.

You asked - I gave a reason. What do you mean "not really" ?
He didn't drive with her body from the university but from his apartment, so straight south would be a good choice for him. You never know who you can run into or who may recognize you or your car. ( I am assuming he used the same car ).
:moo:

He didn't drive with her body from the university but from his apartment, so straight south would be a good choice for him. You never know who you can run into or who may recognize you or your car. ( I am assuming he used the same car ).
I'm not being argumentative. I'm just saying that I don't really think the chances are very high for him to be recognized in a more nearby rural community like Farmer City. There are not very many rentals, so not many students who might live in these rural communities. There are just very few people, period. I'm just telling you why it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not being argumentative. I'm just saying that I don't really think the chances are very high for him to be recognized in a more nearby rural community like Farmer City. There are not very many rentals, so not many students who might live in these rural communities. There are just very few people, period. I'm just telling you why it doesn't make sense to me.

Where do uni teaching staff, contractors and employees live? Off campus ? Within 20 -30 minutes of the uni?

Where do you think he would dispose of her?

Any rural community, a tall stranger would be noticed that's for sure.

Eta HoldySi , just saw your post, really useful info TY. I bet it is a big employer too

Wow, I haven't visited YY's thread in ages but I'm glad I finally did. I'm local and have heard NOTHING about these remains. No articles, no gossip, not even a whisper. I, like most others I think, am quite skeptical. But I will be watching closely again.

Not that this matters much, but I do agree with Shiressleuth that a lot of rural people work at the University. I work here at the U of I and I can attest to that, having been here 8 years. And further, by "rural," I would say 30-40 miles. More than a handful of colleagues in my small department alone live 40 miles from here. Several of them are married to farmers and work here for the excellent insurance benefits. Just my two cents!

You would not need to stalk a particular person in a campus situation. Lots of new folks all the time, some sheltered, still learning their surroundings. Cruise around the campus for 30 minutes and you'll find an unsuspecting target.

This^

A couple points about this. First, at the march for YY, BC was describing ideal characteristics of a victim, and pointing out those in the crowd who matched them. I doubt he knew many people there at all, if any. He didn't need to know or be familiar with someone and stalk them for a while to see if they would be a good target or not, and then try to track their movements. He had characteristics of a good target already in his mind. Second, earlier in the morning on the day of the kidnapping, just several blocks to the east of where YY was kidnapped, another girl reported to Urbana PD that a man in a black car tried to get her to get in his car by showing a police ID and saying he wanted to question her. While it has yet to be established if this man was BC, on the night of his arrest, the girl made a Facebook post about the arrest and stated "it sounds like it was the same b@stard who tried to pick me up." IF it was BC, he was clearly out hunting for a victim, and not stalking a particular person.

Ultimately, I think that's what this was. He was out prowling looking for a victim. He came across YY, she matched at least some of his ideal criteria of a good potential victim, she was standing alone at the stop with little activity going on around, so he circled back to her location to try and take her.....and she tragically took the bait.

Like a shark.

But he was found because of that manoeuvre caught on camera, after all. So also like a shark, he was easily caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryopanda