Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #7 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With so many missing persons cases out there, pretty disappointing that they aren’t at least releasing enough info to rule out some cases (…or maybe they are privately contacting some families to say ‘it’s NOT your loved one’?)
Anyway, now just waiting to hear news about the court motions from today. Any word?

No word yet in the paper. About to head out to the car. I will listen to local news on the radio if possible.....

My guess is that they would only contact a family without positive ID if they found things with the body that pointed strongly to it being their loved one. My guess is also that they would release no info to the public at all until they have a positive ID and have informed the relevant family.

The Quantico forensic anthropologist would be able to determine if the skull was Asian IMO.
Also, could Bloomington mean a connection to Lauren Spierer was initially suspected? Or do they mean Bloomington, Illinois?

They didn't say but I am almost certain they would mean Bloomington, Illinois.

Dm, trunkizback, yes the Johnson plant. I know the FBI csu spent considerable time there in their White hazmat type suits searching. To this day the public has no idea what they found there or what they were looking for and they wouldn't elaborate at all. For those that aren't local, this plant is almost right across the street from BC's apartment.

I really hope the remains found can bring some family closure but I don't think these are going to be YY. Honestly, with as arrogant as he is, I believe she is somewhere close in Chambana. Somewhere where he can smugly look as he was passing by.

Dm, trunkizback, yes the Johnson plant. I know the FBI csu spent considerable time there in their White hazmat type suits searching. To this day the public has no idea what they found there or what they were looking for and they wouldn't elaborate at all. For those that aren't local, this plant is almost right across the street from BC's apartment.

I really hope the remains found can bring some family closure but I don't think these are going to be YY. Honestly, with as arrogant as he is, I believe she is somewhere close in Chambana. Somewhere where he can smugly look as he was passing by.

Thanks. So at least we know that plant was searched, but have no idea what, if anything, was found there. Whatever the case may be, it doesn't appear that they found her remains there, as at least as recently as October they were still searching.

I don't think the remains in Wayne County are her either, but it is still possible.

Do you know roughly when they were searching there, and did anyone mention seeing dogs used?

The Quantico forensic anthropologist would be able to determine if the skull was Asian IMO.
Also, could Bloomington mean a connection to Lauren Spierer was initially suspected? Or do they mean Bloomington, Illinois?

Oh, I saw another report on this, and yes, it was Bloomington, Illinois......

From your link:

Prosecutors: Accused kidnapper's lawyers got more evidence than required

In his response, interim U.S. Attorney John Childress said witness statements aren't required and that the government has more than met the requirements, providing the defendant with more than 500 pages of DNA and blood evidence, a hard-disk drive containing "vast amounts of raw electronic evidence," a copy of the fingerprint analysis report, law-enforcement reports, and cellphone records.

While some of the analysis wasn't provided by the Dec. 15 deadline, Childress said, that's because FBI analysts didn't complete those specific reports by the deadline.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

From your link:

Prosecutors: Accused kidnapper's lawyers got more evidence than required

In his response, interim U.S. Attorney John Childress said witness statements aren't required and that the government has more than met the requirements, providing the defendant with more than 500 pages of DNA and blood evidence, a hard-disk drive containing "vast amounts of raw electronic evidence," a copy of the fingerprint analysis report, law-enforcement reports, and cellphone records.

While some of the analysis wasn't provided by the Dec. 15 deadline, Childress said, that's because FBI analysts didn't complete those specific reports by the deadline.

And

Prosecutors also said they provided a report of fingerprint analysis, along with a CD containing bench notes, printouts and copies of the fingerprints, to the defense counsel on Dec. 27, after the Dec. 15 deadline.

This was because the FBI fingerprint analyst didn't complete his work until Dec. 19, after the deadline, according to the prosecutors. They also downplayed the importance of this evidence.

"Frankly, the fingerprint evidence is not particularly important to the prosecution's case, but it does show the thoroughness of the FBI investigation," Childress wrote.

Prosecutors said they included canine handlers on their expert witness list because the FBI used them to conduct canine searches. Prosecutors said those searches were documented in law-enforcement reports that were provided to the defense counsel Sept. 13.

"As set forth in the reports, two of those searches did not result in any indication by the canines, while one of those searches did," Childress wrote.

So we now know they have some kind of fingerprint evidence, AND a canine hit on something somewhere at some point!

So we now know they have some kind of fingerprint evidence, AND a canine hit on something somewhere at some point!

They are also saying the fingerprint evidence isn't important. Probably because they have plenty of blood, DNA and hair evidence that already shows she was in his apartment, and the video clearly shows her getting into his car.

I wonder if the dog was for a cadaver search, or if it was used to show she had been somewhere while still alive, and thus helps to confirm something BC was caught saying on tape.

Sounds like the feds have a plethora of evidence against him. I think we can all put aside our fears that they don't have a strong case against him, the FBI has or has had a mountain of evidence against their suspect.

Bye bye BC, enjoy the rest of your life in jail your a disgusting excuse of a human being.

I note they also say they have a linguist and a Chinese culture expert ready to testify if necessary. I am assuming they are anticipating that BC is going to try and claim that this was a consensual act and that she was accidentally killed. Or they may try to claim she expressed interest in a kidnapping fantasy online or in her diary, and they may try to claim that she was embarrassed by what she did with him and that she fled and is in hiding because of shame. I don't think that any of that will fly, and that the two experts they mention will be called if they try to go there. I note that her diary is in evidence, so it is possible she could have written some things in it about her sex life, fantasies, whatever. However, I really doubt there will be anything in there that provides much help to his defense. The FBI allowed the University to make photocopies of every page of the diary, which were then bound and presented to her parents, and the diary was then returned to the FBI. If there were anything sensational in there that undermined their case or would need more investigation to be explained, I seriously doubt they would have allowed copies to be given to her parents -when at the same time they haven't shared many details of what they know about what happened to Yingying or about the search for her.

I think it's natural that everyone worries that their case is weak and that he might get away with it. While we must always remember that he is entitled to the presumption of innocence, it seems pretty solid and clear that she's dead and that he did it, even though we have not heard his side of the story. However, because investigators have been so tight-lipped about what they have, and what they know, it's natural for doubt to creep in. So, let me remind everyone of something:

Back when she disappeared and they released video of her getting in to the Saturn, the search was on for that car; and it went on. And on. And on. And on. For weeks. People started pulling their hair out online. "Where is that car?!?!" "How can it be taking this long to find that car?!?" "Why haven't they found that car?!?" "They only made ~20,000 of those things, how can they not find it?!? Damn, what a bunch of inept bunglers!!!!!" No one had any clue what they had. Meanwhile , the very day they released the video, they found BC, interviewed him and searched the car. Two days later, they concluded it was his car. The next day, they towed it away, searched it, interviewed him and put him under surveillance. The entire time everyone online was wondering where the car was and was out trying to look for it, they not only had found it, they were watching the suspect's every move 24-7.

They only tell us what we need to know that can also help them with an investigation, and right now, there's nothing we need to know. That doesn't mean they have nothing, or what they have is weak.

I think they have a lot. They were following his every move physically and electronically for two weeks. Hell, they probably put a tracking device on his Saturn and were detailing its every move after they returned it to him. After they arrested him, they had access to EVERYTHING in his apartment and were able to dig even deeper into what he had been doing. Oh, I'm sure he cleaned, and cleaned well -but he didn't clean thing(s) he used well enough.

Are there some holes that need to be filled? Probably. Not having the body doesn't help. I think they can probably get a conviction, but based on another case I've seen here, they might have trouble getting death without her body. We'll see though, as again, we don't know everything they have

Re: dogs
Again, I don't think there's much mystery here... dogs were employed during the initial searches of BC's apt. (following arrest); at the very least they probably detected YY's presence in the apt. (after BC said he let her out of the car early on), and if they were cadaver-trained they probably detected her death as well inside the apt. If dogs were used elsewhere and found something THAT would be interesting.
Despite the plethora of evidence, there still may be some question whether LE will go for a 1st or 2nd degree murder charge, whether there will be a plea agreement, or whether BC's lawyers will claim insanity. (I'm guessing a 2nd-deg. murder plea agreement at this stage, but who knows)

why would they have been wearing Hazmat suits while searching the plant?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazmat_suit

why would they have been wearing Hazmat suits while searching the plant?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazmat_suit

I don't know if they are full-on hazmat suits, but they wear those so, in part, they don't introduce any biological contamination from themselves, or from what might be on their clothing underneath, into a crime scene or the things they take in evidence.

So from reading this article I believe the Judge :denied: the motion to exclude DA's expert witnesses.

Trial still a go for Feb. 27th, and the DA has until Feb. 1st to decide whether they are going for the death penalty.

So from reading this article I believe the Judge :denied: the motion to exclude DA's expert witnesses.

Trial still a go for Feb. 27th, and the DA has until Feb. 1st to decide whether they are going for the death penalty.

Not yet. The judge hasn't ruled on the motion to exclude the witnesses yet. The article is just saying the trial is still scheduled to begin on February 27.

Re: dogs
Again, I don't think there's much mystery here... dogs were employed during the initial searches of BC's apt. (following arrest); at the very least they probably detected YY's presence in the apt. (after BC said he let her out of the car early on), and if they were cadaver-trained they probably detected her death as well inside the apt. If dogs were used elsewhere and found something THAT would be interesting.
Despite the plethora of evidence, there still may be some question whether LE will go for a 1st or 2nd degree murder charge, whether there will be a plea agreement, or whether BC's lawyers will claim insanity. (I'm guessing a 2nd-deg. murder plea agreement at this stage, but who knows)

As an aside, how long does someone have to be dead before a cadaver dog can detect that a corpse has been in a location? If he killed her in the apartment, and she was only dead there for a few hours before he bundled her up and tookher away, would that be long enough for the dogs to detect a dead person had been there at a point three weeks later? I suppose it is possible she was dead in his apartment for ~24 hours, and he then took her away Ssturday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbod153