IL - Zion Staples, 10, found in garbage can in garage, dead for seven months, Rock Island, Jan 2023 *mom arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
A 10-year-old boy was found dead in a garbage can in Rock Island, Ill., last week in the garage of his mother's home, and the mom now faces charges, according to multiple reports.

The Rock Island Police Department launched a probe into a suspicious death at the home last Wednesday, a press release stated, according to TV6.

Police found Zion Staples’ body at a home after being in the trash for seven months, ABC 6 News reported. The outlet, citing authorities, reports that the child's mother, Sushi Staples, 37, is being charged with concealment of a death, failure to report the death of a child under 13 and obstruction of justice.

The body was concealed in a garbage bin inside a garage, the Quad City Timesreports.

A neighbor said she wants to know how it took months to find Zion and what tipped off the police.

“I had a dead raccoon in my backyard, and we put it in a garbage can, I mean, in a garbage bag and then put it in a garbage can. And I couldn’t even stand the smell waiting for garbage day,” the neighbor said. “So I can’t imagine, that with the wind directions, that nobody would smell that.”

The mother appeared in court last Friday. A judge set her bail at $500,000.

Her next hearing is set for Aug. 15.

Tip led police to Sushi Staples garage and her son's concealed body
Zion died in December 2022. unnamed tipster called DCFS after the mother made "odd" comments about Zion. A welfare check was performed at which time the body was discovered in a garbage can in the garage.
------------------------------------------
Court documents allege she knew her son was dead in December, and she put him in the trash can.

Local 4 News spoke Wednesday with Rock Island-Milan School District administrators, who say Zion was not enrolled in the district. We also called the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services to see whether they had any open investigations involving the family, and have no response as of Wednesday afternoon.
Deceased Rock Island boy may have been missing for months

police received a tip alleging that Sushi Staples, 37, was hiding her son's body in her basement after he died in December. Staples, when confronted, said she did not have a son named Z.S. and accused an ex-husband of calling in the tip to harass her.
[snip]
At first, the other four children living in Staples' home denied having knowledge of Z.S. However, during a second interview, police learned some key information.

"They then gave the story that Z.S. was playing with a handgun and accidentally shot himself," Shappard said during court, confirming that the children did admit they knew Z.S. had passed away.

Staples admitted to carrying Z.S. from inside the home to a garbage can in their garage where police found his body. Dryer sheets were inside every vent of the home as well.
Preliminary hearing reveals more details on the Rock Island boy found dead in a trash can

She should serve additional time for benefits received for Zion after he was dead, not reporting a death, abuse of the girls - they knew he died and that she put him in the garage. IF she had called and reported an accidental shooting, then I could see a 2 year sentence with less anger. But, she put his little body in a garbage can and let him rot for months!! Then, the lies she was telling the cops!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hobo1977
Back