Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, and Liberty (Libby) German, 14/The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I felt optimistic about Monday but I don’t. Since the stills from the video, audio and sketch were released, LE have given us nothing. At the last presser the new prosecutor took the opportunity to introduce himself, and that was it. Wow, what a total waste of time. There wasn’t even an image of Abby and Libby displayed and yet they outlined what constituted a good tip.

I think it’s highly unlikely Charles Eldridge or the deceased person have anything to do with any announcement they make.

They’ve said Monday’s press conference will show a 90 degree change in the investigation and some new significant information will be given out.

Parabon Nanolabs previously declined an interview and state police would not say if the same test was being used in the investigation. I think the new information will be that they are or will be using it now.
Hey do you remember Ives? The county DA when Abby and Libby’s were found? Well he retired in 17’ and mentioned there were a couple cases that would bring him out of retirement. One was Abby and Libby’s. I found this: looks as though he’s back......I wonder if this has anything to do with the girls case....Case Search - MyCase

I’ve never thought it was random. I’ve often considered how many people both girls came in contact with, either separately or when they were together. Someone who might have noticed them at the stores where they shopped, or gas stations, convenience stores, restaurants, etc. A person who looked at a vehicle for sale. Someone could develop an unhealthy obsession after any insignificant sighting of either one of them.

Like you mentioned, it could be someone who lived a couple blocks away. Or, how about someone who visited someone who lived a couple blocks away? Or did some yard work, a handyman job, delivered lumber, etc. a couple blocks away. Endless possibilities.

Less than a mile away from my house, three young people were murdered, and the link turned out to be the brother of the 13 year old girl had sold marijuana to the murderer. While he was buying the marijuana he took notice and returned later with two friends who murdered the three. Just an example of something relatively insignificant can result in murder.
I knew instantly who you were talking about... the family was friends of my parents & grandma... horrific... :-(

Parabon, the company that helped catch Golden State, used a different (yet similar) method to what you’re describing.

Those states use databases of criminals that have their DNA on file, in order to generate a familial match.

Parabon’s process uses a site called GED Match, which is a public database.

People upload their results from Ancestry and sites like it, to this public site.

Parabon uses this information to generate a family tree, one that leads to a probable suspect.

Law enforcement takes it from there.

As far as I am aware, this is legal in all states, as it doesn’t use criminal databases.
Oh, I think I get it. I was wondering how they were going to get around that. I know there has been a lot of controversy about it.
So it's kind of like a private company, and they can do what they want, and then they share the results with LE?

Parabon, the company that helped catch Golden State, used a different (yet similar) technology to what you’re describing.

Those states use databases of criminals that have their DNA on file, in order to generate a familial match.

Parabon’s process uses a site called GED Match, which is a public database.

People upload their results from Ancestry and sites like it, to this public site.

Parabon uses this information to generate a family tree, one that leads to a probable suspect.

Law enforcement takes it from there.

As far as I am aware, this is legal in all states, as it doesn’t use criminal databases.

Good synopsis.

LE then go further, and look at known addresses, birth/death records, marriage records, adoption records, cemetery records, etc. Det. Holis that was involved in the GSK case for many years, mentioned that they were literally walking through cemeteries to try and find familial links.

It takes time when they get workable DNA of a suspect, I think with GSK once they linked him to a third cousin through one of those ancestry sites, it took 4 months of gumshoe detective work to find him.

I have to stress that the linking of DNA through ancestry sites, and forensic genealogy resources, is a new method. Meaning under two or maybe three years. My take on more recent cases is the collaboration and cooperation between the FBI and various agencies, and genealogy experts, appears to be speeding things up a bit. A recent 40+ y/o case was solved in a matter of weeks, but it looks like it takes some months to bring things to the point where they can get a warrant for DNA, for most of these cases.

It's an extremely laborious and tedious process, much of the ancestry stuff they go by cannot be found in searchable databases. GSK was found through a 3rd cousin. That third cousin could be in Europe, for all we know, in fact IIRC the genetic link in that case was traced to an ancestor from the 1800's. So imagine sifting through not only non-searchable records and databases, where you have to scroll through online records/web pages from the Geocities days (I've done it myself), but you have newspaper records, church records, cemeteries you have to walk through to find dead people, census records, etc. It takes time, unlike a one hour episode of a fictional TV show.

I'll use my own maternal mother's side as an example. The genealogy for that family from western Ireland took me down what I thought were rabbit holes and dead-ends, when in reality there was a name change about 100 years ago. Their last name was changed, and there's no explanation for it, and nobody in the family ever brought it up. Yet cousins of theirs across several countries across the globe did the same thing, changed their name from one to the other, and the two names are very close in spelling. That would frustrate genealogy folks and investigators, but eventually records became more concrete and easier to follow by the 1930's here in the States.

Another thing working against GSK is the fact that he and his siblings were military brats. So if investigators were able to nail down the identity of the father, I'd imagine the military records angle would have been fairly easy to nail down. It must have been a PITA to get to that point, though. Pre-Social Security. People were mobile as immigrants, as well as the Great Depression saw a lot of migration.

Keeping my fingers crossed they have DNA for BG...

JMO

Oh, I think I get it. I was wondering how they were going to get around that. I know there has been a lot of controversy about it.
So it's kind of like a private company, and they can do what they want, and then they share the results with LE?
Exactly. A private company using public information.

People upload their DNA to GED Match, knowing that their DNA can be used for this purpose.

Good synopsis.

LE then go further, and look at known addresses, birth/death records, marriage records, adoption records, cemetery records, etc. Det. Holis that was involved in the GSK case for many years, mentioned that they were literally walking through cemeteries to try and find familial links.

It takes time when they get workable DNA of a suspect, I think with GSK once they linked him to a third cousin through one of those ancestry sites, it took 4 months of gumshoe detective work to find him.

I have to stress that the linking of DNA through ancestry sites, and forensic genealogy resources, is a new method. Meaning under two or maybe three years. My take on more recent cases is the collaboration and cooperation between the FBI and various agencies, and genealogy experts, appears to be speeding things up a bit. A recent 40+ y/o case was solved in a matter of weeks, but it looks like it takes some months to bring things to the point where they can get a warrant for DNA, for most of these cases.

It's an extremely laborious and tedious process, much of the ancestry stuff they go by cannot be found in searchable databases. GSK was found through a 3rd cousin. That third cousin could be in Europe, for all we know, in fact IIRC the genetic link in that case was traced to an ancestor from the 1800's. So imagine sifting through not only non-searchable records and databases, where you have to scroll through online records/web pages from the Geocities days (I've done it myself), but you have newspaper records, church records, cemeteries you have to walk through to find dead people, census records, etc. It takes time, unlike a one hour episode of a fictional TV show.

I'll use my own maternal mother's side as an example. The genealogy for that family from western Ireland took me down what I thought were rabbit holes and dead-ends, when in reality there was a name change about 100 years ago. Their last name was changed, and there's no explanation for it, and nobody in the family ever brought it up. Yet cousins of theirs across several countries across the globe did the same thing, changed their name from one to the other, and the two names are very close in spelling. That would frustrate genealogy folks and investigators, but eventually records became more concrete and easier to follow by the 1930's here in the States.

Another thing working against GSK is the fact that he and his siblings were military brats. So if investigators were able to nail down the identity of the father, I'd imagine the military records angle would have been fairly easy to nail down. It must have been a PITA to get to that point, though. Pre-Social Security. People were mobile as immigrants, as well as the Great Depression saw a lot of migration.

Keeping my fingers crossed they have DNA for BG...

JMO
Yup. Sometimes they get lucky and find a really close relative.

Other times, the match is much more distant.

So the length of time that it takes, is contingent upon the starting point.

I knew instantly who you were talking about... the family was friends of my parents & grandma... horrific... :-(
Yes- horrific.

I read every word of the extensive coverage of the murders, investigation, and trials. I still follow the case and all of Kofi Adjabu’s appeals. Hoping he never gets out of prison but now he is petitioning the governor for clemency.

Remember Adjabu’s dad was the leader of the Black Panthers, and he never accepted that his son should be punished for being an accomplice to the murders. He still says to this day that his son was with two people who committed some murders. At the time of the trial he stated to the media that “a whole lot of people would die” if his son was executed for his part in the murders. Then later he said “I want to serve notice as a father, if my son is killed for something he did not do, other death sentences will he carried out. If this legal system or anybody kills my child for something he didn’t do, they will cause me to kill people for something they didn’t do. “

Everything about that horrific case is burned in my brain, to this day.

I agree. Just like when other victims in twos were found murdered, and it was done by one lone perpetrator.

I think the motive for these murders were sexual. The vast majority of pedophiles act alone. This will be the same imo.

Pedophiles are opportunistic who are always looking for that opportune time.

Jmo
Ita

My best case scenario:
ISP steps to the microphone and says, “ Ladies and Gentlemen thank you for coming today. (long dramatic pause) Today is the day. This morning we met with the families of Libby and Abbie and informed them that this afternoon charges will be filed against ______, currently incarcerated in _____.” Then there will be a brief generalized summary of how they found this guy. They will take no questions.
And all of us will go crazy!
I can dream, can’t I?

My best case scenario:
ISP steps to the microphone and says, “ Ladies and Gentlemen thank you for coming today. (long dramatic pause) Today is the day. This morning we met with the families of Libby and Abbie and informed them that this afternoon charges will be filed against ______, currently incarcerated in _____.” Then there will be a brief generalized summary of how they found this guy. They will take no questions.
I can dream, can’t I?
Well wouldn’t that be nice.

I’m certain that day will come, but we’ll have to wait.

I’m just hoping that whatever they say, indicates that this guy’s days are numbered.

My best case scenario:
I can dream, can’t I?

Lovely dream! Just one more sleep and we will know.

Should be noted that Parabon is not the only company working in this area, and there are also some nonprofits (DNA Doe Project, for instance).

There are also new processing techniques that allow them to develop usable information from tiny or degraded samples, like for Annie Doe (Annie Lehman).

I think we're going to see solutions to many old cases very soon. Hope the girls are next!

I agree, no way will it be announced the case was cold... it would be a black eye to the state
Yeah, there is zero chance of that happening.

You don’t call a press conference to embarrass yourself, and basically sucker punch everyone in the face.

If you have nothing, you say nothing.

You don’t get everyone’s hopes up, just to let them down. Not in this way.

We’ll learn something, it’s just a matter of extent.

So, if the sketch that is out there now is blended with this Parabon we would have a good picture of him? You explained how Parabon works, thank you. That would be huge. Do you have any theory how Parabon could take the investigation in a different direction?
Parabon could ID the perp as African American, or Hispanic, or Asian, and that might change direction from a Caucasian (BG). That’s one possibility I think, or maybe BG has been found but was cleared by dna??? All speculation on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klaus28