Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #105

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s never been clarified, as far as I can tell, if the voice recording and the images were together, but given the video seems a distance from where Libby filmed, and the clarity of his voice on the audio recording, it might be they were separate events. Someone with better understanding of audio and visual aspects might chime in.

(I think some might think BG is saying, “guys <long pause> down the hill” at the same time as the vid of him walking, so would like to have clarification).

You’re right, for the longest time it was never confirmed the audio and photo were of the same person. But during the recent PC or another of Carter’s subsequent interviews I’m certain I heard him state it’s of the same person. I’m unable to find an actual quote, only this.

“Carter says because of where the man is walking and the deterioration of the bridge the suspect is not walking naturally because of the spacing between the ties.

An additional clip of audio from the same man has also been released. The new clip includes the word before the previously released version which only stated down the hill...”
ISP says new audio, video and sketch shows Delphi killer

I wonder about that, too. I am not a Snapchat wizard, so don’t know how she recorded the video. What I do know it wasn’t shared by any friends who may have seen it on Snapchat. I haven’t seen any rumors of that either.

That makes me believe she recorded BG directly by the phone itself, which may or may not have had time to upload to the cloud, like Apple devices do (and the public wouldn’t have access). Maybe a family member accessed it through the cloud, but I do think the phone was found on the scene, as has been shared here. Maybe the vid was found on the phone. Maybe the private cloud account. Maybe both.

Hi Jabarn,

At one of the first press conferences, one of the officers mentioned (paraphrase) that Libby was a “hero” for having the presence of mind to activate the recording function on her phone to record the criminal activity that was about to begin.

This leads me to believe she purposely turned on her phone’s video camera. Whether the still photos and audio are taken from the same recoding or separate recordings is anybody’s guess bc LE has not released that info as of yet.

Also, in the long version of Officer Holman’s interview,he clearly states they have Libby’s actual phone and that it was found in the vicinity of where the girls were.

JMO
RIP M+J

Here's a link to a PC on CBS4 FB on May 22, 2019. Although it concerns the Flora fire which is still unsolved for 2+ years, a reporter asks a pertinent question concerning the Delphi case and Supt. Doug Carter responds. I think it shocking after 2 plus years. Interesting portion begins at the 18 min. mark or thereabouts. MOO as always.

Thanks susiQ although the really interesting portion of the video to me is at the 5 or 6 min mark.
Keep in mind this is the Flora Fire Press Conference that Carter sometimes mentions aspects of the Delphi Case.
The reporter asks is there or has there been a person of interest?[This is in reference to the Flora Fire but my gut tells me Carter is also thinking back on The Delphi investigation.]
Carter replies,”if I close my eyes and think back the answer is yes”.

I truly wonder if the change of direction and the new sketch was just a tactic to encourage families and the community to use ‘new eyes’ help identify NBG? That Carter is implying if the ISP and FBI ‘knew then, what they know now’ that someone out there or their family/friends would have led them to naming a person of interest? It would certainly follow since it has been implied that YGB in the past 2.5 years has been interviewed by LE. Is Carter in a round about or clumsy manner signaling everyone in Delphi to re-examine facts and use information based on ‘what they know or think they know now’ to help ID YBG?

This is just a theory about why in 2.5 years with the advantage of cell phone data and the latest DNA procedures no one has been named a person of interest in this absolutely horrific crime.

MOO

Last edited:
I am referring to the girls “girl talk” recording where they mentioned a guy-not the DTH audio

I don’t think it’s been determined when the comments about “a guy” occurred. It could be two different instances. It could also be at the tail end of the video or when LG says something about the trail ending (from the recent ID special AW portion of the show).

I'm perplexed with the creek crossing, as well. IMO, crossing a creek, getting cold and wet right before committing murder, then chance being seen wet and muddy afterwards, would not be on a criminal's agenda.

I'm only guessing, but I don't think the girls ran across on their own accord. But if BG led them across, why? I don't see the purpose of getting wet and cold (icy water and being wet on a 40 degree day is COLD) unless his route out was close and out of public eye (thus my thoughts about the cemetery). Either way I can't make full sense of it.

The only way I'd go into a creek and get wet on a winter's day would be if I lived close by and could walk or drive back in very short order. If I was far from transportation or home, I'd do whatever I could to avoid getting wet. JMO

Agree.
Like BGs incongruous thinner legs, the place they were killed was always puzzling to me. Not a simple plan, which MOO would be drag them into the tree line right beyond the end of the bridge and assault or kill immediatley.
"Down the Hill" suggests he knows exactly where he taking them. In the beginning, MOO I thought the flat where they were found would be a place a kid would really notice. Flat, pleasant, and a person on the flat can see people on the bridge but be invisible to people on the bridge.

BB&IM (from @borndem's quote, above)

What on earth could possibly "shake up" a parent *enough* that they would even consider turning in an offspring? (I do know that it's been done before, but don't know what brought about the change of heart -- if that's what it was -- on the part of the (just tossing out an immediate relative here) parent? Anyone?

Snipped and BBM

Unfortunately I don't think that parents who have spent their time and resources nurturing, protecting, and promoting their son--especially if he is an only child or a last born--would ever turn him in. It would ruin not only his life, which may appear to be very promising, but it would also ruin theirs. Imagine their shame, and how their image in the community would be tarnished. I would think they would lose their business/careers and possibly need to move to another town. If they've suffered through hardship in the past, dealing with this might be too much stress to bear. And if their relationship with their son is somewhat symbiotic (or some type of unhealthy attachment) they would in essence be turning on themselves, losing their purpose and identity.

Its been about 6 weeks since the Easter presser, which is plenty of time to reflect and turn in a tip. So that makes me believe that either:
1. BG's parents know about his actions but will not waver in their alibi/protection (in this case, this will probably never change)
2. BG's parents are suspicious about his actions but are in complete denial (in this case, this might change in time if they reach a point of acceptance)
3. BG's parents are completely oblivious to his actions and really have no knowledge or suspicions of his involvment (in this case, there is no reason to tip him)

JMO

Snipped and BBM

Unfortunately I don't think that parents who have spent their time and resources nurturing, protecting, and promoting their son--especially if he is an only child or a last born--would ever turn him in. It would ruin not only his life, which may appear to be very promising, but it would also ruin theirs. Imagine their shame, and how their image in the community would be tarnished. I would think they would lose their business/careers and possibly need to move to another town. If they've suffered through hardship in the past, dealing with this might be too much stress to bear. And if their relationship with their son is somewhat symbiotic (or some type of unhealthy attachment) they would in essence be turning on themselves, losing their purpose and identity.

Its been about 6 weeks since the Easter presser, which is plenty of time to reflect and turn in a tip. So that makes me believe that either:
1. BG's parents know about his actions but will not waver in their alibi/protection (in this case, this will probably never change)
2. BG's parents are suspicious about his actions but are in complete denial (in this case, this might change in time if they reach a point of acceptance)
3. BG's parents are completely oblivious to his actions and really have no knowledge or suspicions of his involvment (in this case, there is no reason to tip him)

JMO
I truly believe BG's parents know, so, my response to your possibilities =
  1. Yes. I think an enmeshed family.
  2. Maybe. Possibly still on the fence due to careers & community reputation.
  3. No. Too late in the game to be this oblivious.

Perhaps BG dropped something at the scene? Something that indicates he is either local or frequents Delphi on a regular basis?

JMO

After the first year, the LE were so

Snipped and BBM

JMO

4) one parent knows, but protects both the other parent (who is likely in 2) ) and the kid

MOO

I'm perplexed with the creek crossing, as well. IMO, crossing a creek, getting cold and wet right before committing murder, then chance being seen wet and muddy afterwards, would not be on a criminal's agenda.

I'm only guessing, but I don't think the girls ran across on their own accord. But if BG led them across, why? I don't see the purpose of getting wet and cold (icy water and being wet on a 40 degree day is COLD) unless his route out was close and out of public eye (thus my thoughts about the cemetery). Either way I can't make full sense of it.

The only way I'd go into a creek and get wet on a winter's day would be if I lived close by and could walk or drive back in very short order. If I was far from transportation or home, I'd do whatever I could to avoid getting wet. JMO

This is only speculation because a motive or how the girls were killed has not been released, but I would guess this was some type of sexually motivated crime. My opinion only is that crossing the creek was for privacy and that not only did they cross the creek, but he probably had them walk a little further into the tree line in case anyone came close to the creek so that any witnesses could not see what was going on. Again, this is based on my complete guess.

Even though I do not think the killer is from the area I think he has some sort of association with the town of Delphi and had probably been to the Monon High Bridge before. And therefore he probably knew there was a good chance other people would be walking around the area. In my opinion, crossing the creek puts a physical barrier between himself and any witnesses so he can do what he wants to do and greatly reduces the possibility of being disturbed.

I think both parents suspect their son. I imagine it would be hard not to be in denial, and they may be waiting for a subpoena to testify as he would face the death penalty if convicted. They do have a moral and legal responsibility given this was premeditated murder. I have a feeling they will wait until legally pushed. I do not think they can blame a mental illness for the son's crimes. This was rage and the inability to handle anger and disappointment imo.

Jmo, as with many unsolved murders, the one tip is who the guy is...

I agree wholeheartedly with you.

Because without a name that leads to the correct person you cannot match the voice, the picture, the video, or the DNA. The best anyone can hope for then is that either the case is linked to another case or that genealogical DNA somehow can narrow down a suspect and who that suspect is.

The main reason I agree is because there are cases that are 20 or 3o years old and police are still talking about it only taking one tip to solve the case.

Thanks susiQ although the really interesting portion of the video to me is at the 5 or 6 min mark.
Keep in mind this is the Flora Fire Press Conference that Carter sometimes mentions aspects of the Delphi Case.
The reporter asks is there or has there been a person of interest?[This is in reference to the Flora Fire but my gut tells me Carter is also thinking back on The Delphi investigation.]
Carter replies,”if I close my eyes and think back the answer is yes”.

I truly wonder if the change of direction and the new sketch was just a tactic to encourage families and the community to use ‘new eyes’ help identify NBG? That Carter is implying if the ISP and FBI ‘knew then, what they know now’ that someone out there or their family/friends would have led them to naming a person of interest? It would certainly follow since it has been implied that YGB in the past 2.5 years has been interviewed by LE. Is Carter in a round about or clumsy manner signaling everyone in Delphi to re-examine facts and use information based on ‘what they know or think they know now’ to help ID YBG?

This is just a theory about why in 2.5 years with the advantage of cell phone data and the latest DNA procedures no one has been named a person of interest in this absolutely horrific crime.

MOO
My angle is that ALL of it is drug related. GK, who murdered NB is on the top of my possible POI list in this case. His buddy isn't far behind, but since he was hiding under a bed when they found him I'm having second thoughts. Coward. ALL cowards and amoral scum. Isn't it interesting that former DA Ives returns April 10th shortly after NB is brutally tortured and murdered while 4 low life's look on. Payback. It's a nasty business. Maybe Ives is about to help the new DA draft another "plea deal"? My guess is LE are between a rock and a hard place. After all the suspicious deaths and overdoses (whether self inflicted or "other") it's unlikely anyone will just come forward because they have a conscience, cause they don't. They may cut themselves a deal to win a "get out of jail free card," but they better head outta town pronto. Because once again, they are on the payback list. All MOO, of course :)
ed:sp

Last edited:
roughly or clumsily formed or shaped.
"those large and lumpish hands could produce exquisitely fine work"
  • (of a person) stupid and lethargic
bbmff
Hmmm. After sitting at my computer for numerous hours reading posts on WS, I begin to feel "lumpish", stupid and lethargic, and I'll add that my brain feels rather fried or mushy :po_O

If he were parked at DCS or the cemetery, wouldn't crossing the creek make his escape easier?

This is only speculation because a motive or how the girls were killed has not been released, but I would guess this was some type of sexually motivated crime. My opinion only is that crossing the creek was for privacy and that not only did they cross the creek, but he probably had them walk a little further into the tree line in case anyone came close to the creek so that any witnesses could not see what was going on. Again, this is based on my complete guess.

Even though I do not think the killer is from the area I think he has some sort of association with the town of Delphi and had probably been to the Monon High Bridge before. And therefore he probably knew there was a good chance other people would be walking around the area. In my opinion, crossing the creek puts a physical barrier between himself and any witnesses so he can do what he wants to do and greatly reduces the possibility of being disturbed.

I agree, but I think there are delusions of grandeur with religious themes that keep the parent(s) quiet. Their protection of the kid is part of "god's plan" (gag me).
ETA - IMO

I think both parents suspect their son. I imagine it would be hard not to be in denial, and they may be waiting for a subpoena to testify as he would face the death penalty if convicted. They do have a moral and legal responsibility given this was premeditated murder. I have a feeling they will wait until legally pushed. I do not think they can blame a mental illness for the son's crimes. This was rage and the inability to handle anger and disappointment imo.

What else does the river kill? The smell? So that the dogs would not respond? Buying some time?

I agree, but I think there are delusions of grandeur with religious themes that keep the parent(s) quiet. Their protection of the kid is part of "god's plan" (gag me).
ETA - IMO

If they are truly religious, how do they deal with the concept of the final judgment for their kid, and for themselves, too? I am not strong in religious concepts, but if there is one grave sin, this is it... MOO x 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomgetty