Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #107

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think if the victim was sexually assaulted, a rape kit was done and she identified her attacker as the deceased, LE would be within the law to take the deceased DNA. I could be wrong though.

Absolutely. But without an arrest, or a conviction (it would create a due process issue due to the removal option if found innocent following arrest) can they upload it into the Indiana database and/or CODIS.

That's the full question.

Absolutely. But without an arrest, or a conviction (it would create a due process issue due to the removal option if found innocent following arrest) can they upload it into the Indiana database and/or CODIS.

That's the full question.
And actually a really interesting question, IMO. I don't know anything about law, though.

So let's say they could take a dead suspect's DNA for positive ID purposes only, but can't add to CODIS. Are there other means to look at past crimes in relation to him, for example, if a family member is willing to submit DNA?

Last edited:
Not really, but it is routine and legally required in the state of indiana when arrested for a felony offense.

http://iga.in.gov/legislative/2017/bills/senate/322#digest-heading

The grey area will be what if a suspect dies or kills himself prior to being arrested? That's going to be for the indiana courts to figure out, though.

I'm not prepared at this time to comment on how the court(s) in indiana would likely rule.
If his DNA wasn’t in the system before, I’m sure the coroner or medical pathologist took his DNA because of the kidnap/rape in Lafayette and possibly for other crimes he may have committed.

If his DNA wasn’t in the system before, I’m sure the coroner or medical pathologist took his DNA because of the kidnap/rape in Lafayette and possibly for other crimes he may have committed.
Good point. The LE must have procedures in place to check a deceased criminal's DNA for other previous victims. This man discharged his firearm inside a house while being sought by police. Just that fact is most likely enough grounds to check his DNA for other offenses. I would think so anyway.

Last edited:
Good point. The LE must have procedures in place to check a deceased criminal's DNA for other previous victims. This man discharged his firearm inside a house while being sought by police. Just that fact is most likely enough grounds to check his DNA for other offenses. I would think so anyway.
Yes since the crime happened during a felony. I know the coroner can do post mortem DNA cards that they keep indefinitely but not sure about Indiana. Also, I’m assuming the victim did a rape kit in which a DNA profile can be developed from the swabs in the kit and put into CODIS or other state databases.

Yes since the crime happened during a felony. I know the coroner can do post mortem DNA cards that they keep indefinitely but not sure about Indiana. Also, I’m assuming the victim did a rape kit in which a DNA profile can be developed from the swabs in the kit and put into CODIS or other state databases.
And this is assuming all correct procedures were followed; nothing lost, misplaced, or contaminated.
Some jurisdictions are buttoned up; others not so much.

Amateur opinion and speculation

About the recent sketch, just reposting the quote, as much as we know and noting “the person” who assisted wasn’t specifically identified as being either male or female. I don’t recall anything more about it has been disclosed so please correct me if the person was referred to as a “she” by LE in another news release.

The sketch released on Monday was drawn by Bryant on Feb. 17, 2017, a few days after the victims' bodies were found. The picture was based on the description of a person who saw something that the person felt needed to be reported, according to Bryant...”
Delphi murders: New sketch of killer, video from Libby's phone released

When did he do that? I must have missed that fact. Have you got a link?

WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY BE?
I guess we are all going to find out at about the same time.

In this case, I think it is just a general statement that he would have made for/in any case.

If you are thinking that this type of statement can encourage wild speculation and/or circular discussions, you will get no disagreement from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member