Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #112

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that was mentioned earlier - that she had it in selfie mode and was facing away from BG, filming him over her shoulder, but others have said she had it forward facing next to her leg and she was panning.

In 2017 Alexis McAdams reported, and citing LE, that Libby recorded BG while holding the phone in selfie mode, filming over her shoulder.

I can link you to her report but it is on Twitter. Can we link to twitter here?

I'm not from America, how well known is this case there? It's obviously not Laci Peterson/Caylee Anthony level where everyone has heard of it. From what i've seen it seems closer to say Maura Murray which i believe is not even that well known locally now. It wouldn't be weird to me if someones social circle in a neighbouring state wasn't aware of it, as weird and messed up as it is it's a small town crime that hasn't became a mainstay in national news like those other cases.
I think it would be hard for me to judge that. I live in Indiana not far from Delphi and here it is huge news and continues to weigh heavy on minds around here.

I do know that it has had quite a bit of national exposure. HLN cable news features this crime regularly and the last press conference had at least a mention on most cable news stations. Of course there was Dr. Phil as well. I’ve heard that Lifetime channel is working on some type of show about it. ID discovery channel also featured it in one of their series.

In 2017 Alexis McAdams reported, and citing LE, that Libby recorded BG while holding the phone in selfie mode, filming over her shoulder.

We've been allowed to link to Twitter for reporters.

Alexis McAdams ABC-7 on Twitter

He is tall and skinny. I'd say he's over 5'9" and under 180. His legs and hips and narrow and scrawny. LE has the weight wrong IMO and I don't know why they release info that just doesn't make sense. But I do know that guys of my weight and height appear thinner than me (I am female).
It's funny how we all see the same video, but different sizes. To me, he looks average height and weight, leaning on the huskier side, but not too much. I don't see skinny at all, but I know a lot of people do! Must be our personal perspectives in relation to people we know, maybe?

It's funny how we all see the same video, but different sizes. To me, he looks average height and weight, leaning on the huskier side, but not too much. I don't see skinny at all, but I know a lot of people do! Must be our personal perspectives in relation to people we know, maybe?

The trouble is, I see “two” BGs, as if in layers. One, a very young male, not tall, muscular but slim, with slightly impish face, and covered with a scarf. The other one is an older overweight alcoholic with raspy voice.

The voice might be the reason for the scarf, right? Flu season.

The selfie idea doesn't work for me because I am told that selfies reverse the image. Other people have walked along the bridge and taken video footage of the entire area. The forked tree seen behind BG has been identified as on the left when looking back along the bridge from the SE side which is where Libby was. Because of this fact, it can't have been a selfie over the shoulder video. Otherwise it would be on the right in reality. I think the reporter was wrong in making that claim. MOO.

It would also be too high to pick up the weird white nodule thing seen on the footage (this is all better explained in GH's videos, but essentially he worked out where Libby and her camera needed to be to get the exact footage we see). Off the end of the bridge, shifted to the right and held low works best in terms of getting the matching angle and image. Also bear in mind that BG is actually roughly 60-70 feet away and not truly the subject of the shot - but if you zoom in and crop you get that same grainy pixelated effect.

I see skinny legs and arms with clothing bunching and bagging around the limbs. The shoulders even look a bit hunched and bony to me. I think the thickness of the torso is due to the effect of wearing multiple layers, a baggy windbreaker with bulky items shoved inside the pockets or interior. Rather than a true paunch. The waistband actually looks average to slim to me which I think supports the idea that he's not as heavy-set in the torso as people are assuming. (I also feel this way about the Missy Bevers case - I wish the person who posted there who was so good at recreating the skeleton/true physical shape of the perp sans swat gear in video footage would check this case out and do her simulations, they were very informative imo)

Yeah, what you and BNA said makes sense to me. One of Indiana's border states is Illinois, think if he was from Chicago the majority of that city has likely never heard of it or only have in passing especially considering their own crime problems. Actually i believe the MidWest has the most violent crime by region in the US so a small town double murder that's nearly three years old would struggle to reach most citizens in neighbouring major Cities since it didn't make a big deal nationally like those aforementioned cases.
I’m from Chicago and I’ve been here a longggg time

Yeah, what you and BNA said makes sense to me. One of Indiana's border states is Illinois, think if he was from Chicago the majority of that city has likely never heard of it or only have in passing especially considering their own crime problems. Actually i believe the MidWest has the most violent crime by region in the US so a small town double murder that's nearly three years old would struggle to reach most citizens in neighbouring major Cities since it didn't make a big deal nationally like those aforementioned cases.

The case has actually been covered pretty well in the Chicago media from day 1. Not much since the April presser of course, but I have seen it on the local news several times. Problem is it seems like not many people follow the news at all these days, or not anything beyond what they get off FB.

Just read an interesting article. UCDavis working with proteins to reconstruct DNA

Forensic Proteomics, a New Tool for Crime Labs and Anthropology

I wonder if ISP has something containing the perp’s proteins? The articles mentions isolating whole DNA from hair keratin, for example. Might this be a strike of luck for ISP (if they have something contaminated with the perp’s proteins) and could UCDavis be interested in such a case, to test their methods?

Keeping fingers crossed for new technologies.

Last edited:
At the risk of revealing how weak my brain is, could someone please explain to me why the nbg sketch doesn’t resemble Libby’s video of her murderer please?

There was a Forensic Files case called Video Diary. In that case, law enforcement was faced with having to enhance bad gas station surveillance video. In that case, they were able to enhance it enough to use it to make a positive identification of a suspect.

Here is the difference. In that case in Michigan, when law enforcement made their sketch(which led to a phone call tip and an arrest), they used the enhanced gas station surveillance video.

In the Delphi case, law enforcement is relying on eyewitnesses who may or may not have seen this man leaving the Monon High Bridge area. Their strategy has not worked out so far because eyewitness descriptions are sometimes not very reliable. In my opinion, they are not using Liberty German's phone because they probably cannot enhance the video enough to make a solid sketch.

So, in my opinion, the answer to your question is that law enforcement does not have enough details from the video on Liberty German's phone in order to give an accurate description of the offender in this case.

I haven’t read anyone mention the possibility of a “railfan” being in the area to check out the bridge. A “railfan” is a railroad enthusiast. Most are photographers who prefer to photograph moving trains but some are interested in railroad architecture and infrastructure. That abandoned bridge was pretty important in the early days of railroading.

I’m not saying that some railfan drove 200 miles to look at an abandoned bridge AND then murdered two girls. That would be a long shot. But since I don’t think Mr Blue Jacket had anything to do with the murders it might help to identify him by perusing the various railfan sites, especially those that feature architecture, and see if photos of the bridge shows up around that time.
So are you saying the video that Libby took of the man in the blue jacket is not the killer? More like a red herring?

excellent explanation. I would just add that the person in the video is not representing himself normally. Whether it's a disguise, or there is extra gear, his image as people ordinarily see him is obscured.

There was a Forensic Files case called Video Diary. In that case, law enforcement was faced with having to enhance bad gas station surveillance video. In that case, they were able to enhance it enough to use it to make a positive identification of a suspect.

Here is the difference. In that case in Michigan, when law enforcement made their sketch(which led to a phone call tip and an arrest), they used the enhanced gas station surveillance video.

In the Delphi case, law enforcement is relying on eyewitnesses who may or may not have seen this man leaving the Monon High Bridge area. Their strategy has not worked out so far because eyewitness descriptions are sometimes not very reliable. In my opinion, they are not using Liberty German's phone because they probably cannot enhance the video enough to make a solid sketch.

So, in my opinion, the answer to your question is that law enforcement does not have enough details from the video on Liberty German's phone in order to give an accurate description of the offender in this case.

Yes we can link to MSM Twitter. I wonder how she knew that though. Is she just guessing like we do?

Just read an interesting article. UCDavis working with proteins to reconstruct DNA

Forensic Proteomics, a New Tool for Crime Labs and Anthropology

I wonder if ISP has something containing the perp’s proteins? The articles mentions isolating whole DNA from hair keratin, for example. Might this be a strike of luck for ISP (if they have something contaminated with the perp’s proteins) and could UCDavis be interested in such a case, to test their methods?

Keeping fingers crossed for new technologies.

Fabulous, thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members