Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #125

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally and completely understand where you are coming from! :) There are so many rumors, that sometimes it is difficult to remember what an official statement is, and what an official statement is not. IMHO, any statement given by LE to a media source (podcast, news interview, YouTube video, etc.) should be considered "official". They would not be mentioning the information if they did not want the public to hear what they are saying. To my knowledge, none of the statements made have been secretly recorded. I'll do my best to provide accurate information directly from LE, MSM, or the Familes. Please (anyone) feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
HLN News Anchor Jean Casarez:
[Later that evening speaking with Sgt. Kim Riley on the phone] Okay, so you went to a judge and a judge signed off on this warrant. Why did you select this home in Delphi?
Sgt. Kim Riley:
Through the investigation with the tips, and the uh, interviews we had. We had probable cause, uh, to go into the house and do a search on it.
Prosecutor Robert Ives posted the following statement on Facebook on February 16, 2017 [per the Lafayette Courier & Journal]:
Please do not harass, bother, or accuse anyone. There are no charges pending against anyone as a result of the pending investigation. Please, please leave these people alone and let the police work. DTH spoke with Sgt. Kim Riley about this search warrant. He said it wasn't as significant to the investigation now, as it seemed to them that night. He said they went to the property thinking a suspect could be there. Apparently, the investigation revealed that wasn’t the case. He also said it wasn’t that important of an asset as it was that night.
  • Did searchers continue searching throughout the night? Yes. Source: https://www.investigationdiscovery....i-snapchat-murders-abby-williams-libby-german [...] At around 5:30, the girls’ families said they called the sheriff’s office. Law enforcement joined friends, family, and volunteers, scouring the woods looking for the girls. Police say they made the decision to suspend the search at 12 A.M., stating that there was no reason to suspect foul play. But friends and family continued to search throughout the night.
  • DC's statement- Right or Left? My interpretation is that had they taken the trail to the right, the would have ended up at the Freedom Bridge. Instead, they turned to the trail on the left: where BG was most likely laying in wait for a victim(s). Source: DTH Episode 6 (see photo below).
DTH:
We are approaching the area where the girls entered the trail, and there’s a, a trail marker there that’s become a bit of a memorial. What does it mean to you?
DC:
Ahh, this intersection’s tough for me. It will always be tough for me.
Umm, [long pause] I can close my eyes and I can see ‘em -- the innocence here. You know, I can see — they came from the left side over here. Laughing and joking, and cutting up like two young girls do, probably. Or walking quietly or having a conversation about whatever, and then they turn left and the world’s about to change.
So many people are not afraid of where they are, but for those that remain -- and thinking man, man, if they’d have just turned right. You know, not left.

@JDough ,

Thank you for making it organized.

I still don’t view podcasts as official sources. For one reason. LE said that no one has been officially cleared. Has something changed?

And at this moment, I am on the fence between: “LE knows who did it but can’t prove” and “LE has no clue”.

This 50/50 fence is reflected in my statements. If LE, with all the information they have about the case, still may be clueless, how can we, mere mortals, be in the know? So tomorrow I might post something totally opposite, because I have no version and no poi.

And of course, recent retirement of the Judge KF doesn’t help. I don’t suspect Hon ex-Judge of being implicated, but this example of morality of Delphi bureaucracy doesn’t help, tbh.

I feel sorry for the families that have no closure, and for the hardworking citizens of Delphi that might be living in fear. The case seems to be messed up, I hope, not beyond repair.

Last edited:

@JDough ,

I still don’t view podcasts as official sources. For one reason. LE said that no one has been officially cleared. Has something changed?

And at this moment, I am on the fence between: “LE knows who did it but can’t prove” and “LE has no clue”.

This 50/50 fence reflects in my statements. If LE, with all the information they have about the case, still may be clueless, how we, mere mortals, be in the know? So tomorrow I might post something totally opposite, because I have no version and no poi.

And of course, recent retirement of the Judge KF doesn’t help. I don’t suspect Hon ex-Judge of being implicated, but this example of morality of Delphi bureaucracy doesn’t help, tbh.

I feel sorry for the families that have no closure, and for the hardworking citizens of Delphi that might be living in fear. The case seems to be messed up, I hope, not beyond repair.

I respect your point of view @Charlot123. Thank you for sharing it. You are not sitting on that fence alone!

@JDough ,

This 50/50 fence is reflected in my statements. If LE, with all the information they have about the case, still may be clueless, how can we, mere mortals, be in the know? So tomorrow I might post something totally opposite, because I have no version and no poi.

Can you explain what the bolded part of your post refers to? Is there a place where a podcast says someone was cleared?

I totally and completely understand where you are coming from! :) There are so many rumors, that sometimes it is difficult to remember what an official statement is, and what an official statement is not. IMHO, any statement given by LE to a media source (podcast, news interview, YouTube video, etc.) should be considered "official". They would not be mentioning the information if they did not want the public to hear what they are saying. To my knowledge, none of the statements made have been secretly recorded. I'll do my best to provide accurate information directly from LE, MSM, or the Familes. Please (anyone) feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
[Later that evening speaking with Sgt. Kim Riley on the phone] Okay, so you went to a judge and a judge signed off on this warrant. Why did you select this home in Delphi?
Sgt. Kim Riley:
Through the investigation with the tips, and the uh, interviews we had. We had probable cause, uh, to go into the house and do a search on it.
Prosecutor Robert Ives posted the following statement on Facebook on February 16, 2017 [per the Lafayette Courier & Journal]:
Please do not harass, bother, or accuse anyone. There are no charges pending against anyone as a result of the pending investigation. Please, please leave these people alone and let the police work. DTH spoke with Sgt. Kim Riley about this search warrant. He said it wasn't as significant to the investigation now, as it seemed to them that night. He said they went to the property thinking a suspect could be there. Apparently, the investigation revealed that wasn’t the case. He also said it wasn’t that important of an asset as it was that night.
  • Did searchers continue searching throughout the night? Yes. Source: https://www.investigationdiscovery....i-snapchat-murders-abby-williams-libby-german [...] At around 5:30, the girls’ families said they called the sheriff’s office. Law enforcement joined friends, family, and volunteers, scouring the woods looking for the girls. Police say they made the decision to suspend the search at 12 A.M., stating that there was no reason to suspect foul play. But friends and family continued to search throughout the night.
  • DC's statement- Right or Left? My interpretation is that had they taken the trail to the right, the would have ended up at the Freedom Bridge. Instead, they turned to the trail on the left: where BG was most likely laying in wait for a victim(s). Source: DTH Episode 6 (see photo below).
DTH:
We are approaching the area where the girls entered the trail, and there’s a, a trail marker there that’s become a bit of a memorial. What does it mean to you?
DC:
Umm, [long pause] I can close my eyes and I can see ‘em -- the innocence here. You know, I can see — they came from the left side over here. Laughing and joking, and cutting up like two young girls do, probably. Or walking quietly or having a conversation about whatever, and then they turn left and the world’s about to change.
So many people are not afraid of where they are, but for those that remain -- and thinking man, man, if they’d have just turned right. You know, not left.

@JDough ,

This 50/50 fence reflects in my statements. If LE, with all the information they have about the case, still may be clueless, how we, mere mortals, be in the know? So tomorrow I might post something totally opposite, because I have no version and no poi.

Can you explain what the bolded part of your post refers to? Is there a place where a podcast says someone was cleared?

The parts were not bolded by me. But if no one was cleared, it, honestly, turns podcast into a nice story, not an official source of information.

Very honestly- I believe that direct participants of podcasts are innocent, most have already participated in too many podcasts. There is a limit to seeing or hearing the same people if the case is not moving.

Others have never said a word, and I would like to listen to them. I understand that they might have reasons to stay away, their own reasons, but this mere fact turns the podcasts into something very unofficial, as these people are important witnesses to what happened very soon after, or maybe before, the murders.

There are very interesting parts of the podcasts, like Ives interview, but too many things and people are missing.

Last edited:
@Charlot123 , I bolded part of your post to highlight the part I was questioning. That's why it's bolded.

So, I'm trying to understand your thoughts. If a podcast does not contain an interview with LE "clearing" someone, nothing else it says can be considered official?

IMO LE in this case is not going to announce anyone is cleared. The closest they will probably go is what they've said about RL, the Bicycle Bridge Rd people, and DN...that they aren't interested in them at this time. The reason is, announcing the clearance of any individual gives the defense strategy ammunition at trial time. So if you're looking to any source, MSM, podcast, or otherwise, to give you info on who has been cleared, that's probably not going to happen.

The second point you seem to be making is that because certain members of LE who are involved with the case have never appeared in any podcasts, all podcasts are"unofficial?" You are trying to say that a podcast must contain ALL LE participants or witnesses to be considered official?

To me this is quite illogical. In the DTH podcast we have the direct statements of both the state police superintendent and the case's assigned public information officer. If you're saying that because the FBI agents assigned to the case did not also weigh in, everything else that LE stated is unofficial, that is just mind boggling to me.

Your opinion is your opinion, however. Thank you for letting us know how you developed yours.

People discussing the case are issuing their opinions. Podcasts are not official statements, Fact: LE searched house on Bicycle bridge road, so after the murders, they assumed that the girls could be taken somewhere (close, I think).

Yes, LE

@JDough ,

The parts were not bolded by me. But if no one was cleared, it, honestly, turns podcast into a nice story, not an official source of information.

Very honestly- I believe that direct participants of podcasts are innocent, most have already participated in too many podcasts. There is a limit to seeing or hearing the same people if the case is not moving.

Others have never said a word, and I would like to listen to them. I understand that they might have reasons to stay away, their own reasons, but this mere fact turns the podcasts into something very unofficial, as these people are important witnesses to what happened very soon after, or maybe before, the murders.

There are very interesting parts of the podcasts, like Ives interview, but too many things and people are missing.

LE said long before any podcasts were made that the girls were killed where they were found and the girls and the killer crossed the creek. The podcasts are not the source of most of the few facts we know from LE. No one is holding the podcasts up as the end all be all of information in this case.
There is still plenty of room for theorizing and speculation and that is always welcome around here and I love reading them all, but I would hope the theories would not contradict the few facts we know.

Sgt. Kim Riley:
DTH:
DC:

I'll add that a news crew from Indy was at C.R. 300 by the trails/drop off point for the girls at 5AM the following morning. That video is viewable on YouTube. There was a visible moon, although I will say it would be extremely dark along there, and especially in the gorge, even with some moonlight.

Another point I'd like to share is "searching", "searchers", etc., are kind of relative terms, in my opinion. The "search" wasn't just that relatively small area, it was throughout the surrounding countryside and in Delphi, some. Even if there were 20 people searching at, say, midnight, how many were searching in and around the gorge area? How many would have been there at 3AM?

That news crew probably got there around 4:30AM on the 14th, I'm thinking.

JMO

Thanks again for all of this work. It is tremendously helpful to read it transcribed!

Quoted snipped and highlighted in red a few statements that stand out to me.

Down the Hill: The Delphi Murders
Episode 5 — Signatures

Individuals interviewed in this episode:
Former Chief Prosecutor Robert Ives
Former FBI Profiler Mary Ellen O’Toole

DTH:
We’ve talked a lot about this crime and it being, the possibility of it being, one of those crimes where the person who committed it just managed to step into all the right places to avoid being arrested -- not necessarily a mastermind that had some sort of grand scheme that has allowed him to get away with this.

Would you characterize this crime as something where the guys just stepped in all the right places?

Former Chief Prosecutor Robert Ives:
If you look at the overhead photos of this area, there was maybe one house that could look down and see the crime scene, and it’s unlikely anyone would be there. But yeah, this was a daylight crime it appears. Almost certainly, a crime during the daylight, in an area where people could’ve come along, and I just can’t see it as a big master plan. It’d be a crazy master plan.

I think it’s more [sigh] a person committed a horrible crime and then they took off, and nobody — or if anybody saw them — we haven’t been able to pinpoint it. People were seen coming and going, and there are some witnesses. And we well may have seen — and I say we — someone may have seen this person leaving the crime scene or going to the crime scene. But we’ve never been able to put that information together with enough evidence to show who that person was and that they committed this crime.

I really, really don't want to beat a dead horse here, so please accept my apologies in advance for going ahead and doing just that right now. :oops:

I keep coming back to the #$%&*@! sketches and over-analyzing what I read. Can't help it......:(

Sketch #1 had multiple contributors. I don't have the G.H. links or other podcast links handy, so I will say that I believe that a young female may have seen someone dressed like the killer on the trails on his way to the bridge, and a male counterpart of a couple may have seen someone dressed similar to the killer leaving the trails. There was also a third contributor to the first sketch, possibly a woman, who was afraid and came forward months later.
Can you identify this man?: Police release sketch of suspect in Delphi double homicide case
(right click and open link in 'incognito window' to read the full article.)

ISP releases sketch of man accused of killing Delphi teens Liberty German and Abigail Williams | WTTV CBS4Indy

Sketch #2 had one contributor who saw something that the person 'felt needed to be reported'. Delphi murders: Investigators have had suspect sketch for 2 years

How do we reconcile Ives statements above with what information we have been given about the sketches from Carter? "I believe that eventually, we are going to be able to say this person's the killer, and there's a combination of those two images that will land on his face, whatever that might look like," Carter explained. ISP: 'One piece away' from solving Delphi homicides

If they can't connect the person sighted going to or leaving the crime scene as being the same person who committed the crime, then is this the reason why they went with another sketch completely? Process of elimination? The 'result of new information' and 'intelligence over time'?

It is not the same person according to the April 24th task force statement.....

Delphi Homicide task force clarifies their reason for issuing a new sketch in murder case

With each new statement I read, I am more and more convinced that there were two people involved in this.

Maybe they found two unidentified DNA contributors at the crime scene but can tell that only one person was responsible for their deaths?

JMO and speculation

Yes, LE

LE said long before any podcasts were made that the girls were killed where they were found and the girls and the killer crossed the creek. The podcasts are not the source of most of the few facts we know from LE. No one is holding the podcasts up as the end all be all of information in this case.
There is still plenty of room for theorizing and speculation and that is always welcome around here and I love reading them all, but I would hope the theories would not contradict the few facts we know.

yesssss!!! Let's all work within the few facts that we DO know! Phew!:)

Thanks again for all of this work. It is tremendously helpful to read it transcribed!

Quoted snipped and highlighted in red a few statements that stand out to me.

I really, really don't want to beat a dead horse here, so please accept my apologies in advance for going ahead and doing just that right now. :oops:

I keep coming back to the #$%&*@! sketches and over-analyzing what I read. Can't help it......:(

Sketch #1 had multiple contributors. I don't have the G.H. links or other podcast links handy, so I will say that I believe that a young female may have seen someone dressed like the killer on the trails on his way to the bridge, and a male counterpart of a couple may have seen someone dressed similar to the killer leaving the trails. There was also a third contributor to the first sketch, possibly a woman, who was afraid and came forward months later.
Can you identify this man?: Police release sketch of suspect in Delphi double homicide case
(right click and open link in 'incognito window' to read the full article.)

ISP releases sketch of man accused of killing Delphi teens Liberty German and Abigail Williams | WTTV CBS4Indy

Sketch #2 had one contributor who saw something that the person 'felt needed to be reported'. Delphi murders: Investigators have had suspect sketch for 2 years

How do we reconcile Ives statements above with what information we have been given about the sketches from Carter? "I believe that eventually, we are going to be able to say this person's the killer, and there's a combination of those two images that will land on his face, whatever that might look like," Carter explained. ISP: 'One piece away' from solving Delphi homicides

If they can't connect the person sighted going to or leaving the crime scene as being the same person who committed the crime, then is this the reason why they went with another sketch completely? Process of elimination? The 'result of new information' and 'intelligence over time'?

It is not the same person according to the April 24th task force statement.....

Delphi Homicide task force clarifies their reason for issuing a new sketch in murder case

With each new statement I read, I am more and more convinced that there were two people involved in this.

Maybe they found two unidentified DNA contributors at the crime scene but can tell that only one person was responsible for their deaths?

JMO and speculation

I think Carter really misspoke about it being a combination of the two.

Sketch 1 & Sketch 2 are two different people.

I believe Sketch 2 came from the woman who offered to call a tow truck for the guy with the disabled vehicle who wouldn’t make eye contact and didn’t thank her.

DOWN THE HILL: THE DELPHI MURDERS
Episode 8 - A New Direction

INDIVIDUALS INTERVIEWED FOR THIS EPISODE
KIM RILEY - Indiana State Police SGT & Information Officer
DOUG CARTER - Indiana State Police Superintendent
DAVE BURSTON - (former) Indiana State Police Captain
SUSAN HENDRICKS - HLN Reporter
CARRIE TIMMONS - Libby’s Mother
MIKE PATTY - Libby’s Grandfather & Legal Guardian
DIANE ERSKINE - Abby’s Grandmother
ERICA GIBSON - friend of Abby and Libby
AMY BROWN - mother of Erica Gibson
LISA DELANEY - owner of Stone House Restaurant in Delphi, IN
CYNTHIA ROSSI - one of Abby’s best friends
KELSI GERMAN - Libby’s Sister
TOBE LEAZENBY - Sheriff of Carroll County

SGT. KIM RILEY
I, I knew that things would be tough. Uh, I knew I was going to get drilled. I knew the superintendent was gonna get drilled. And, we were the two main people that people were going to look at, especially being that the superintendent is the one who, excuse that expression, threw it out there. I mean, I could’ve done it — he did it. We all felt it was better than he did it. Just because of his ability to speak and talk.

FROM PRESS CONFERENCE ON APRIL 22, 2019

ISP SUPERINTENDENT DOUG CARTER
Information that is being released today is the result of literally thousands and thousands of hours of extraordinary investigative efforts by Delphi, Carroll County, the FBI, the Indiana State Police, and countless other agencies.

This community surrounded us some twenty-six months ago, and you did everything you could to support us. But most importantly, you surrounded the family of these two little girls. Gosh, I’ll never forget it.

After you hear what we’re going to release today, I’m going to ask for your continued support, your continued understanding, your empathy and compassion, um, as we, we move forward, uh, to find out who did this. And, we will.

We’re seeking the public’s help to identify the driver of a vehicle that was parked at the old CPS/DCS welfare building in the city of Delphi, that was abandoned on the east side of County Road 300 North, next to the Hoosier Heartland Highway, between the hours of noon to five on February 14th, 2017. If you were parked there or know who was parked there, please contact the officers at the command post at the Delphi City Building.

We’re releasing additional portions of the audio recording from that day. Please keep in mind the person talking is one person and is the person on the bridge with the girls. This is not two different people speaking. Please listen to it very, very carefully.

We’re also releasing video recovered from Libby’s phone. This video has never before been previously released. The video shows the suspect walking on the bridge. When you see the video, watch the, watch the person’s mannerisms as they walk. Watch the mannerisms as he walks. Do you recognize the mannerisms as being someone that you might know?

Remember he is walking on the former railroad bridge. Because of the deteriorated condition of the bridge, the suspect is not walking naturally due to the spacing between the ties.

During the course of this investigation, we have concluded the first sketch released will become secondary, as of today. The result of the new information and intelligence over time leads us to believe the sketch, which you will see shortly, is the person responsible for the murders of these two little girls. We also believe this person is from Delphi, currently or has previously lived here, visits on a regular basis, or works here. We believe this person is currently between the age range of 18 and 40 but might appear younger than his true age.

Directly to the killer who may be in this room — we believe you are hiding in plain sight. For more than two years, you never thought we would shift gears to a different investigative strategy, but… WE HAVE. We likely have interviewed you or someone close to you. We know that this about power to you. And, you want to know what we know. And, one day, YOU WILL.

A question to you — what will those closest to you think of when they find out that you brutally murdered two little girls? Two children — only a coward would do such a thing. We are confident that you have told someone what you have done, or at the very least, they know because of how different you are since the murders.

[Sigh]
[Pause]

We try so hard to understand how a person could do something like this to two children, to two children. And I recently watched a movie called The Shack, [pause] and there’s also a book that talks so well about evil, about death, and about eternity.

To the murderer — I believe you have just a little bit of a conscience left, [sigh] and I can assure you that how you left them in that woods is NOT [pause], is NOT what they’re experiencing today.

To the family — [sigh] I hope that you all will give them some time because we’re going to be asking that there’s no media inquiry or no media response for at least the next two weeks. And, I hope you understand why. The family found out about this, about this information, this morning. [Sigh] I just want the family to know that when I take my last breath on this earth, I’ll be thinking of them.

There’s going to be a tremendous amount of questions I know that, I know that. Uh, never in my career have I stood in front of something like this. Please be, be patient with us, please. Uh, we’re just beginning. We are just now beginning.

And, I can tell you on behalf of the Sheriff, and the Police Chief, so many other partners, um, that have stood with us over this period of time — that WE. WILL. NOT. STOP.

CAPTAIN DAVE BURSTON
I just unveiled the person that we believe responsible for the murder of the these two little girls. So, I invite media to take a look at that now. Kim —

[ The new sketch is revealed. ]

CAPTAIN DAVE BURSTON
We’re also going to show you a video not previously released — that Superintendent spoke to — and also the audio, that’s additional to what’s been previously released. It’s only a slight change in it.

THE AUDIO >>> “Guys… [pause] down the hill.”

PODCAST HOST BARBARA MACDONALD AND HLN REPORTER SUSAN HENDRICKS DISCUSS THEIR EXPERIENCE ATTENDING THE PRESS CONFERENCE.

HLN REPORTER SUSAN HENDRICKS
That was intense.
I was there and I thought, for sure, Carter was coming off that stage after somebody. When he ended his sentence and he was done, he walked away from that podium like he owned it. And, I thought, “Oh my gosh, Bridge Guy was dumb enough to show up here. He’s gonna go and choke somebody out.”

That’s actually what I thought and everybody just gasped. It was, it was pretty unreal.

PODCAST HOST ANDREW IDEN

You and Susan Hendricks from HLN, who’s with us here in the writer’s room, get a text message. Can you tell us about — or walk us through learning about April 22nd.

PODCAST HOST BARBARA MACDONALD
Yes, so I was working on another show. Uh, I don’t even remember what story I was doing that day, but I get a text message from one of my sources in Delphi saying, “Can’t tell you why but you need to be here Monday.” And so, we went.

PODCAST HOST ANDREW IDEN
Take us back to the room.

Oh, man.

PODCAST HOST ANDREW IDEN
You know... what was the feeling? What was the vibe? Was the, you know, was there tension? Kind of walk us through that.

You know, it was interesting because before the press conference began, it was, um, very calm. Um, people were talking. People weren’t particularly nervous. People, I think, were excited about whatever was going to be said. And then Carter comes out, and his tone is very serious. He’s passionate, he’s intense. And the room just went quiet. When he was speaking, you could, you could literally hear a pin drop in there.

What stood out to me -- when my stomach dropped -- was seeing the unveiling of the new sketch. There was an armed guard standing near it, and when they took off what was covering the sketch, I was taken aback. Because the sketch — the person looks so young.

PODCAST HOST ANDREW IDEN
Right.

I’ve gone back on this in my mind. I don’t know if there was an audible gasp in the room when that happened, but I felt a gasp. If people weren’t gasping, that was certainly—

PODCAST HOST ANDREW IDEN
Body language.

The air got sucked out of the room for just a second when that happened.

Because we had so much time — because the family was being briefed — we were able to notice our surroundings and really take a look. And I did notice an officer standing by the covered sketch. So, he wanted no one to come even near that to bump it accidentally. But when it was unveiled, I thought, “[Audible gasp], that looks like a kid!”

Yeah, even though Superintendent Carter had said, you know, he could be as young as 18 — to see the sketch and to see what a young face that is was shocking.

I thought -- “Did he know these girls? Was he their friend?”
That’s how young he looked.

PODCAST HOST ANDREW IDEN
And vastly different from the original —

Wayyy...

COMPLETELY different.

DTH HOST ANDREW IDEN
When you watch the news conference, you can only see, you know, what’s in the frame. But you guys were in the room and I’m curious — especially when he said, “to the killer, who may be in this room” — what was the feeling inside the room, especially at that moment?

For me, we couldn’t get any closer. Barbara and I were sitting right on the carpeting right in the front.

HLN HOST BARBARA MACDONALD
We were on the floor on the front row.

HLP REPORTER SUSAN HENDRICKS
It was a packed room. Media outlets, armed police officers everywhere — I did notice that — and it was packed. We were in the front row, and I thought in my head -- “In this room?” It took awhile for it to really resonate with me. Thinking -- “Oh my gosh, he could be in this room.”

It took me a while for me to process exactly what he was saying.

And there were a lot of people who -- when Superintendent Carter and Sheriff Leazenby walk off and they leave, they left that room. You didn’t see them after that. I certainly thought — “They’re going to get the guy. They are jumping in their car right now, and they are going to wherever this person is and they’re making that arrest.”

HLP REPORTER SUSAN HENDRICKS
A photojournalist with CNN who was there with us said to me — once I stood up and walked back in this room — “In this? Here in this room? What is going on -- in this room?”

They were shocked, and they see a lot and hear a lot. And they were thinking -- "He’s here?" — looking around for him.

They certainly disrupted everything that day. This press conference just turned everything upside down.

I thought what you thought. That when he left — they’re going to arrest someone. Because a mention of that car also stood out to me without the make and the model. And, obviously, there is a wall of silence that we’ve experienced there. Because they don’t want false confessions. That silence also allows for a lot of speculation.

DTH HOST ANDREW IDEN
So, coupled with the new sketch, you’ve got the new audio —

Did you notice during the press conference how much Superintendent Carter prefaced it’s the same voice? -- “Keep that in mind, it is the same voice.”

Because they sound so different.

DTH HOST BARBARA MACDONALD
They do.

And I think the ‘guys’ sounds very young. Completely different than ‘Down the hill’. It sounds like two different voices; he said it’s one. I use ‘guys’ all the time in a casual manner. To me, it says friendly speak.

We also don’t know -- just because they added ‘guys’ before ‘down the hill’, we don’t know if that is said in any particular order. They haven’t given us any indication of that. We know that all of that was said on the video that Libby made, but we don’t know where in the video, how far apart it might be.

And that was another element of the press conference — it was a little unusual. They invited the public, but they also took everyone’s name as you walked in. And it was interesting because I thought -- "Okay, if you really think he’s going to be here, wouldn’t you maybe ask for an ID?” They weren’t doing that.

But they made sure that you -- you had to sign in.

So, that was an interesting part of the process. You don’t normally sign into something like that unless you’re there for the president or somewhere you need a security clearance to get into to. That wasn’t the case, but they definitely were taking everyone’s name.

And looking back now, in hindsight, when you say something like that — “He could be in this room... he's from Delphi or he’s worked here... he's been hiding in plain sight” — the next morning, that was the cover of the newspaper. Hiding In Plain Sight and his sketch. When you say something like that, speculation, of course, is going to start right away. Why were they signing them in? Did you look at each door? Did you look behind you? What did you hear? What did you think? And then, nothing and no arrest.

CARRIE TIMMONS
Well, it was shock. About everybody’s mouths were hanging on the ground, you know. Like, at first, there was, there was anger. Because the first thing that goes thru your mind is — “Are you kidding me?” We have just spent two years pushing this guy, you know. When they first said -- “Okay, there’s a new sketch.”

It took a little while, but after you think about it, after we thought about it and they had talked to us some — and you think about it, and uh, it’s like -- well, at least we know something’s happening.

Something has happened. There’s, they’ve gotten some information or something that has changed where they’re going and to bring out this sketch. So, we know, at least, we’re closer than what we were. Because they have to have something to switch everything up. So, that’s the only thing that I can hang my hat on.

MIKE PATTY
If you really listen to it, it’s almost like a different, like a different demeanor of the person. Meaning like — “guys” — and then it becomes a little more directive — “down the hill”. You know, it’s almost like, and like, I’ll say — “Hey guys, what’s going on today?” And, then I give you a directive — “down the hill”. The person changed from being social to a directive. That’s the only difference that I really hear in that.

And when they changed from saying that it was somebody 40- to 50-years-old to somebody who could be as young as 18, what did you think about that?

MIKE PATTY
I don’t know the information, again, that they have. That they’re basing that on. And, I’m hoping they have information that would substantiate what they’ve said, which is 18 to 40. But I think they left us such a wide range because they don’t ever want to get backed into the corner, per se. Of saying -- “Okay, you said he was 25 to 45 and this guy is 23 when it happened.” Therefore, you know, it, they’re just not going to do that. I think they’re going to leave such a wide range in age there for that purpose.

DIANE ERSKINE
Honestly, I was shocked. I really was. Because that sketch, to me, is a person who looks so much different than the first sketch that came out. Although, other people said -- “Well, if you look at them closely though or overlay them, you can find some similarities.”

But I guess, personally, I see — one has facial hair, one does not have facial hair. Um, one had longer hair, and one had shorter hair. So, that still of course, opens the possibility that there was more than one person out there that day. And that’s something we have to, we have to entertain, I guess. That idea that there could’ve been more than one person, and that’s why there are two different sketches — is that maybe there were two people out there. I don’t know. I honestly don’t know. I’m not sharing something that’s, that we’ve learned. I’m just saying we don’t know.

ERICA GIBSON
People were already posting who they thought it was throughout our school.

Pictures of local boys? Teens, men?

ERICA GIBSON
Yes. People, people that would’ve been like a sophomore or senior when they were in 8th grade. And, I mean, immediately people started to throw people out, and I don’t know I feel. Like, it’s not a bad thing if he’s around here. We’re just that much closer to getting him. I mean, that if they actually truly believe that.

Does it make you look at your friends, and classmates, and neighbors differently?

ERICA GIBSON
Um, nobody in my class have I ever looked at differently or anybody, um, who was a senior, um, this year. There’s some people in Delphi that I have looked at differently because they’ve always put off that vibe to me — like a creepy vibe. And like, I mean, everybody does. I mean, you see somebody and you think -- “Oh, they’re a little creep like —"

LISA DELANEY
Oh my Lordy, there was almost absolute pandemonium. I mean, people were like freaking out. Especially when they said that they believe that they’ve already interviewed that person and they’re here. That was, I mean, it didn’t create panic. But it was almost like, I don’t even know the right way to describe it. It, people were like -- “We are going to find that person”.

It was a new, you know -- "If they’re here still, he’s gonna be brought out." That was almost, it wasn’t a fear. It was almost more aggressive, you know. You can see that, I mean, when people would talk about it in the grocery store, in church. In church, you’d walk into church right after, and people were standing there and they would say --"They’ve already interviewed him; they know that he’s still here. They feel like he’s still here." The brows all went down — “We’re gonna find him”.

It’s like BOOM! I think we created what we intended to create, right? So, that was where it was at. It was more a rejuvenation of let’s find this person, you know. I think there’s a whole lot of confusion. Because a lot of people are like — “That doesn’t look at all like the first one! Whaaaat?”

So, there was a whole lot of --“What is going on?” That kind of thing. And then they said they really still want to find this person for questioning because they think that maybe he could’ve saw the person. And it’s like, you know, but there was a whole lot of -- “Where did this come from?” You know, so if we had this possible information two years ago, is it possible we could’ve seen the guy standing at the grocery store, you know? But, I mean, that’s, they, they’ve kinda handled it with more confusion than anything else. But there’s, there’s definitely a positive attitude. There’s not a negative. It’s, it’s definitely a positive attitude about it.

KELSI GERMAN
I think it was crazy for us because we all kind of trust each other since we all know each other. Um, so even some of my friends were getting turned in. They were saying -- “Kels, I promise this wasn’t me. I didn’t do this.” Because they were worried because they got turned in that I would think badly of them, I’m assuming. But I don’t — I’m glad that they got turned in or looked into. Um, I love my friends, but I would turn them in if I thought they did it.

AMY BROWN
I’ve always believed it was someone local. Just to know, just to know the trail system. Just to be able to get away with it for so long, so to speak. I think he had to be someone local, and so for me, I think just hearing the words was like validation. But we’ve always thought that, so it’s, it wasn’t, it wasn’t a huge shock to us, you know. It did make us make sure our doors were locked an extra couple times and things like that, but overall it didn’t change much for us.

And do you look at the sketches or the video — the stills from that video — and do you see anybody you recognize?

AMY BROWN
I, I will be honest. I have sent in tips, um, because you know what, no tip can go on unlooked at. And even if I’m wrong, then I’m wrong. No harm, no foul. You know, um, I know that.

So, without telling us the person, what have you called police and said?

AMY BROWN
Um, just, you know, somebody that matches the sketch or, you know, could resemble them. Um, maybe some shady dealings. Maybe, you know, more of a recluse. Things like that, that I feel like would be this person. You know, I have my own profile in my head, you know. Because we haven’t gotten a great profile of what this person could be. So, it’s kind of, you know, you play around in your head. And you just, one day I woke up and I thought — “What was, what was that kids name?” And that’s exactly what I did. I said, and as you go on, you put things together. And I have some, some, some friends that were like just send it in and so I just did. It’s not going to hurt anything. If they talk to him, that’s great, and if —

If it’s not him, you didn’t do anything wrong.

AMY BROWN
And there’s no problems, and I think that’s how most of the people in town look at it.

MIKE PATTY
I do think he’s been here before just because of the layout of the, of the land around there. It’s hard for me to wrap my head around somebody being able to go to a place. That’s what I try to do to myself -- put myself in this person’s shoes. Would I go to a strange place that I’ve never been to before, never been to, and try to pull something like this off? My gosh, that’s, that’s a huge risk not knowing where you’re going. You know, go down the hill and then you’ve got a creek involved. And, how deep is it? It’s cold. It’s February the 13th. The water’s gotta be lower than 40 degrees. Do you go in over your head? I mean, so the person, my opinion, probably has to know a little bit about the layout of the property, of the ground.

CYNTHIA ROSSI
Once they said, in the press conference, that he was a local and he knew the area, that was just a weird feeling for me. Because Delphi’s like this picture perfect town, and the fact that there could be so much evil. And it felt like this was almost like the town secret. Like, the person who did this was just hiding in the shadows, waiting for their debut. And to them, maybe they feel that they’ve succeeded, but to this community it’s not a joke. It’s serious and it’s something that has just made our community stronger.

SHERIFF TOBE LEAZENBY
The simplest way for me to explain it is — it was matter of the, the, our core group of investigators, circling back around and saying — “Plan A, to a certain degree , is not working. So, let’s, let’s rethink this. And, you know, fortunately, our investigators said, “Okay, here’s — this is Plan B.”

Basically, from the information that we were receiving from the public -- we got some information that this person was, was seen there. Basically, we had information on the first one. We made the decision -- that we think, that this one is more the, the second picture that was put out in April is more of a scenario of who we think may be more involved than the other one. We are not saying that the first one is not him. With the information that we’ve gotten in tips and, uh, interviews we’ve been having over the last two years -- that we feel that this face may be more of what the subject looks like. And so, that’s why we’ve kinda changed directions — went to this one and, uh, we’re still pretty adamant that this is the person we’re looking for.

DOUG CARTER
And, frankly, I got some criticism for the second sketch. And I took that — that’s okay. I, it’s all right, um—

What criticism did you get?

DOUG CARTER
Oh, that we’ve had that for a while. And why didn’t we release it earlier? And what else do you know? And why is it being so secretive, being so secretive? And my response to that is very simple — there is a complex tragedy associated with anything that we do. We have to be thoughtful and respectful. And shame on us if we wouldn’t have done it because we knew we were going to face criticism. So, I welcome the criticism.

Yes, I agree that Carter must've misspoken, since what he said doesn't really align with other statements made about the sketches by LE, at least I think lol. I really think clarification is needed re. the two sketches; or any other updates should be given by one spokesman and one only for LE from here on out. Eghads!

I actually posted on Reddit about the fact that RL’s truck was impounded by the Crime Lab and that it may indicate that maybe there were thoughts by LE or evidence that the girls were in a vehicle at some point. My post was rejected and not posted. I messaged a moderator twice to see if I said something wrong or why it was not posted. I have messaged 2 times and still no response. Could I have touched a neve or what do you think? Usually they tell you why something can’t be posted.
Edit: it was just posted. No explanation of delay.

I think Carter really misspoke about it being a combination of the two.

Sketch 1 & Sketch 2 are two different people.

I believe Sketch 2 came from the woman who offered to call a tow truck for the guy with the disabled vehicle who wouldn’t make eye contact and didn’t thank her.
Yes, I agree that Carter must've misspoken, since what he said doesn't really align with other statements made about the sketches by LE, at least I think lol. I really think clarification is needed re. the two sketches; or any other updates should be given by one spokesman and one only for LE from here on out. Eghads!
I think there is more to it than him misspeaking....can't quite figure it out though.

It's a double homicide they are trying to solve and your right, clarification is much-needed and long past due. Clarity in communication to the public is critical. It could make the public question their competency when they release conflicting info, as well as second-guess whether or not to submit a tip.

I agree that one person should be the spokesperson....but from the get-go, they've had several people speak. Leazenby, Slocum, Perrine, Holeman, FBI rep Youmara, Sgt. Riley, Carter, McLeland.....probably more that I forgot.

At the Feb 22nd 2017 presser, there was such a united front of speakers and LE presence, then that crowd dwindled each time they addressed the public. Last year, only two of them stood and faced the crowd.

Perhaps there was dissenting opinions amongst the crew on how to proceed with the case and the fallout was Carter having only Leazenby stand behind him silently in support?

Carter did mention to Kelsi being willing to take the criticism about the 2nd sketch.....(linked here as a DTH podcast by @cujenn81 in the last few pages)

KG: In 2019 a new composite sketch of the suspect was created that looks a lot different to many people than the original sketch. How and why was the new sketch created and why might it appear much different?

DC: Yeah, well…I can’t talk about that in detail, but I will simply say that the investigation has evolved….and there are things we know that we can’t explain. And I know there was a lot of anxiety about that, and even there was even some confusion and some blame and some criticism of us. Uh…that criticism needs to come to me and not to anybody else because I absolutely supported that change.

I guess my question is, what makes him so sure he is right now?
(He better be right!)

JMO

Thank you so much for the transcription. Really helpful. I feel like LE is not all on the same page. I have so many questions.

1) The clarification article says the sketches don’t depict the same person and the person in the first sketch is not a person of interest at this time. They must have identified and interviewed him in order to say that. I conclude he was at the bridge and didn’t come forward until he was tipped in or identified from the sketch which is a red flag for me. Otherwise why would they even release the first sketch? Did any single witness see both men? I think the answer is no but I want to put it out there.

2) Tobe says the new sketch is who they think was “more involved”. Maybe his choice of words is not the best but it seems to suggest there could be two people involved and it could be old and new sketch guys.

3) Do we have an estimate of how many people were at the trail that day? Like was it 5? 50?

I think at least one member of the task force - Leazenby - is backing away from focus on the sketches earlier stated to depict the suspect.

April, 2020 -
“The Sheriff indicated the two sketches, which varied greatly from each other, were supplied by two different people near the scene on Monday, Feb. 13. Both images are of persons of interest in the investigation.”
Lots of tips, no arrest in 2017 double homicide | Carroll County Comet

I think there is more to it than him misspeaking....can't quite figure it out though.

It's a double homicide they are trying to solve and your right, clarification is much-needed and long past due. Clarity in communication to the public is critical. It could make the public question their competency when they release conflicting info, as well as second-guess whether or not to submit a tip.

I agree that one person should be the spokesperson....but from the get-go, they've had several people speak. Leazenby, Slocum, Perrine, Holeman, FBI rep Youmara, Sgt. Riley, Carter, McLeland.....probably more that I forgot.

At the Feb 22nd 2017 presser, there was such a united front of speakers and LE presence, then that crowd dwindled each time they addressed the public. Last year, only two of them stood and faced the crowd.

Perhaps there was dissenting opinions amongst the crew on how to proceed with the case and the fallout was Carter having only Leazenby stand behind him silently in support?

Carter did mention to Kelsi being willing to take the criticism about the 2nd sketch.....(linked here as a DTH podcast by @cujenn81 in the last few pages)

KG: In 2019 a new composite sketch of the suspect was created that looks a lot different to many people than the original sketch. How and why was the new sketch created and why might it appear much different?

DC: Yeah, well…I can’t talk about that in detail, but I will simply say that the investigation has evolved….and there are things we know that we can’t explain. And I know there was a lot of anxiety about that, and even there was even some confusion and some blame and some criticism of us. Uh…that criticism needs to come to me and not to anybody else because I absolutely supported that change.

I guess my question is, what makes him so sure he is right now?
(He better be right!)

JMO

Makes me wonder what "intel" they got that lead them to believe the sketch created the week of the murders is who they're looking for.

The information came from an eyewitness who saw BG before A&L got to the trails.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member