Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #125

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE has stated there is more audio, but to release it would potentially compromise the investigation, in that, specifics would be revealed that only the killer(s) would know.

I often wonder what the audio could be. It obviously is something that LE has held close. Could there be proof on there of a second perp? Was something said that specifies the manner of death? Is there evidence on there of the/a weapon that was used? Could it simply be one of the girls saying, 'he has a gun'?

I am of the opinion that the girls didn't scream. Reason being, I believe that a scream would have been heard, and recalled, during investigative work. I don't subscribe to the theory that a scream in that area would not be heard, and would be ignored. I think the sound would travel quite far through the woods.

I think it's possible the girls were gagged, or more likely, simply told they would be killed if they made a noise of any kind.

I also think most likely they were forced down the hill, across the creek, and murdered right where they were found, though there is a tiny part of me that thinks they could have been forced in to a vehicle and driven to the cemetery, and from there, forced down the hill to where they were found.

I don't think RL's home is close enough to have been a concern. I would, however, suspect the killer may have known the folks whose home is at the end of that drive that goes under the bridge were not home.

As for the killer being a transient, passing through, I doubt it. I think as LE says, he/they have had some prior knowledge and familiarity with the trail, the bridge, and the surrounding wooded area, including that cemetery, and whatever escape route was used.

Did the killer know the girls at all? Possibly. For me, it's a theory that's out there. That he/they had a grudge/fear, some reason to kill at least one of the girls. But I can also see how a serial killer would find that trail to be a good place to hang out, to stalk, to learn the terrain, waiting for a victim, for the right opportunity.

I really hope LE gets that final clue they are seeking. I think there is someone, a friend, wife, family member, who knows the truth, but is quite fearful, for many possible reasons, of coming forward. My wish is that the need for relief that comes from telling the truth outgrows the pain of remaining silent.

Respectfully snipped for focus and commentary response.
Your comment is a good reminder to me to keep it simple. You are right. Most criminals aren't master minds. They go out trawling; they see, they take, they destroy.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Predators, on the hunt. Always on the hunt. When they look around as they're walking, they're not seeing the world the same way you or I would. They don't have to think about escape routes because their mind is always automatically noting things like that, not even consciously.

The trail head is another 1500 feet north of there.

I'm not sure if a scream from down in the gorge by the creek would carry too far up the trail.

JMO
Their reenactment had a lady scream twice down in the gorge and it could be heard on the trail area in the vicinity of the north end of bridge. But they didn't test it farther down the trail. At the trail head? Yeah, I think hearing a scream there is not very likely. I tend to believe whatever this guy did, he did it quick to at least one of the girls. IOW, I don't believe there was a scream or at least not a long enough or loud enough to draw attention.

LE has stated there is more audio, but to release it would potentially compromise the investigation, in that, specifics would be revealed that only the killer(s) would know.

I often wonder what the audio could be. It obviously is something that LE has held close. Could there be proof on there of a second perp? Was something said that specifies the manner of death? Is there evidence on there of the/a weapon that was used? Could it simply be one of the girls saying, 'he has a gun'?

Snipped by me.

It has to do with whatever he said to them to make them go down the hill IMO. If it was a lie, a ruse, quiet coercion, a threat.. whatever it was, only he knows.

So if they get a tip where a person claims to know who did it and how, they can test it against this info that's never been released.

By the same token, when they interrogate a person of interest, they will look for deception around this particular point. And if a person confesses to part of the crime, but doesn't know this piece of it...the confession's no good.

I really hope LE gets that final clue they are seeking. I think there is someone, a friend, wife, family member, who knows the truth, but is quite fearful, for many possible reasons, of coming forward. My wish is that the need for relief that comes from telling the truth outgrows the pain of remaining silent.
I’m hoping this is the case, because then at least there’s the hope that the person will finally have the courage to come forward.

What worries me is that this may not be the case.

For instance, in the case of the BTK killer, for years and years no one knew or suspected a thing: Neither his wife, nor son or daughter; nor neighbors nor coworkers nor friends. Not a single soul ever suspected that he was stalking and brutally murdering people.

It could be the same with BG.

Last edited:
I’m hoping this is the case, because then at least there’s the hope that the person will finally have the courage to come forward.

For instance, in the case of the BTK killer, for years and years no one knew or suspected a thing: Neither his wife, nor son or daughter; nor neighbors nor coworkers nor friends. Not a single soul ever suspected that he was stalking and brutally murdering people.

But you have to believe that none of those people knew or suspected anything. I would bet my house that one or even more, had a suspicion but forced it out of their minds, so as not to upset their lives.

The ancient Greeks called it hubris. It has many forms, but in this case it could be that the killer found some sort of gratification in doing what he did. Or maybe the Superintendent is a religious person, and we are just overanalyzing everything that investigators have said about this case. All we can do is speculate about what investigators say concerning this case.

You are mentioning legal hubris. There was also a religious meaning...Greek heroes punished for it had some reasons to be excessively proud, as in most cases they were relatives of gods and initially, liked by them. However, in their arrogance, they felt higher that gods. Hubris was the act born out of immense self-conceit, and the punishment was more for thinking than for the act.

As the biggest sin, hubris that was penalized in the worst way possible. (See Tantalus, Niobe, Sisyphus, etc, etc).

Does this, second, meaning apply to the killer? It is up to the Olympian gods. One hopes...

Hey everyone,

Other than a similarity to the Delphi sketch, there is no indication from LE that Martrell Weaver is considered a POI or suspect in the murders of Libby and Abby. We've been down this road before where there are similarities between sketches and other individuals but there ends up being no connection.

Please do not continue to discuss him unless/until we find out that LE is investigating him as a POI or suspect in relation to the Delphi case.

As usual, members may sleuth behind the scenes and discuss via private messaging where up to 20 members can be added to the private conversation. Just don't post your findings on this public thread.

If there is any change, we will review it if/when that happens.

Thanks.

I agree. I do not think this man has a conscience and will come forward ever. (Police chief asking him to clear his conscience and step up.) I also do not think anyone else knows, although in hindsight they may mention some weird red flags they innocently ignored. As my father used to say, (detective NYPD) "If everyone kept their mouths shut no one would ever be arrested." I have to agree that I do not think his mother, wife, child has any clue that his predilection is raping and murdering innocent little girls. The neighbors will no doubt someday chime in that "He was such a nice man." Is the FBI working on this still???? Poor kids. They need justice .

Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker here.

I would like to preface by saying that true crime is really a borderline obsession with me.

I have been watching, reading, googling , etc. anything and everything that I can find on the Delphi murder.

This case is baffling. To have what should be the most powerful evidence LE could ask for , yet still have no arrest 3 and a half year's later is disheartening , to say the least.

I do my best to focus on the facts in any case, this case is no exception.

Having said that, with 3 plus years behind us, I can understand how easy it is grasp onto public rumor and also to theorize with our own scenario; Begrudgingly, I admit to having dabbled in this myself at times with this case.

I just try to remember that this case is about 2 young girls and their families that have lost them. I wish there was a way to dial back the clock and erase this deed from the planet.

I will summarize the things that I believe I can say are steadfast and true in the case.

1. 2 girls having a fun day where murdered in cold blood and in broad daylight.

2. Libby's sister dropped them at the Monon High Bridge at approximately 1:37 PM.

3. Libby's father arrived to pick them up and was on foot by 3:15 PM.

4. Libby’s father approaches who is referred to as FSG, and asks if he has seen the girls. FSG was walking West on the 501 trail and said he had not seen the girls .

5. Just after 3:30 , Libby’s father calls to let BP know that Libby has not answered his calls, he cannot find either girl.

6. Just after 4:20 others begin to show up to look for the girls.

7.Around 5:20 , the police are contacted.

8. A search for the girls begins, going into the night , but the girls are not found.

9. Around Noon on Valentine’s day, the bodies of the girls are found. We do not know specifically WHO found them.

10. Libby’s shoe was found near a driveway before the bodies are discovered.

11. Libby’s cellphone was recovered in close proximity to the CS.

12. The phone has information that LE is able to extract . Initially, there is a photo and a voice saying “Down the Hill.”

13. A sketch is released to the public that is thought to resemble the person responsible for the murders.

14. More than 2 years pass, and a news conference is held. We now have a video snippet, another audio (more soft and youthful voice) saying “ Guys”, and a new look for the murderer. The murderer lives, has lived in and/or is quite familiar with Delphi.

15. Some of the latest interviews with LE have released the fact that the crime scene was “odd “ and that there is a lot of physical evidence. There are at least 3 signatures left a t the crime scene.

I hope if anyone here has something that can be added to facts that they will do so. Facts are a jumping point to make certain conclusions, but at best, they are theories. I always believe that Occam’s razor is one of the best ways to solve a crime. Saying so, the world is so out of whack , I know that so many things are possible.

I always tell myself, that the answer is somewhere in these facts . It has to be.. what in the world are we missing? What is LE missing?

Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker here.

I would like to preface by saying that true crime is really a borderline obsession with me.

I have been watching, reading, googling , etc. anything and everything that I can find on the Delphi murder.

This case is baffling. To have what should be the most powerful evidence LE could ask for , yet still have no arrest 3 and a half year's later is disheartening , to say the least.

Having said that, with 3 plus years behind us, I can understand how easy it is grasp onto public rumor and also to theorize with our own scenario; Begrudgingly, I admit to having dabbled in this myself at times with this case.

I just try to remember that this case is about 2 young girls and their families that have lost them. I wish there was a way to dial back the clock and erase this deed from the planet.

I will summarize the things that I believe I can say are steadfast and true in the case.

2. Libby's sister dropped them at the Monon High Bridge at approximately 1:37 PM.

4. Libby’s father approaches who is referred to as FSG, and asks if he has seen the girls. FSG was walking West on the 501 trail and said he had not seen the girls .

5. Just after 3:30 , Libby’s father calls to let BP know that Libby has not answered his calls, he cannot find either girl.

8. A search for the girls begins, going into the night , but the girls are not found.

9. Around Noon on Valentine’s day, the bodies of the girls are found. We do not know specifically WHO found them.

12. The phone has information that LE is able to extract . Initially, there is a photo and a voice saying “Down the Hill.”

13. A sketch is released to the public that is thought to resemble the person responsible for the murders.

14. More than 2 years pass, and a news conference is held. We now have a video snippet, another audio (more soft and youthful voice) saying “ Guys”, and a new look for the murderer. The murderer lives, has lived in and/or is quite familiar with Delphi.

15. Some of the latest interviews with LE have released the fact that the crime scene was “odd “ and that there is a lot of physical evidence. There are at least 3 signatures left a t the crime scene.

I hope if anyone here has something that can be added to facts that they will do so. Facts are a jumping point to make certain conclusions, but at best, they are theories. I always believe that Occam’s razor is one of the best ways to solve a crime. Saying so, the world is so out of whack , I know that so many things are possible.

I always tell myself, that the answer is somewhere in these facts . It has to be.. what in the world are we missing? What is LE missing?

BBM

10. I thought the shoe was found by the creek, I don't remember ever hearing about it being near a driveway. Have I been wrong on this the whole time?

11. Depends on your definition of "close proximity". As far as I'm aware it's not known exactly where it was found, although seemingly it was at least relatively close by.

14. LE believes this (or at minimum they did at the time of the press conference), but since obviously the murderer is unknown it cannot be said to be factual.

BBM

10. I thought the shoe was found by the creek, I don't remember ever hearing about it being near a driveway. Have I been wrong on this the whole time?

11. Depends on your definition of "close proximity". As far as I'm aware it's not known exactly where it was found, although seemingly it was at least relatively close by.

14. LE believes this (or at minimum they did at the time of the press conference), but since obviously the murderer is unknown it cannot be said to be factual.

10. Hopefully, I have not already deviated from the facts!
Maybe the best way to say this is that we know Libby's shoe was found.
The accounts that I have read have stated that the shoe was found on a section of a private driveway that leads to a private home. I suppose that I should have sources for that, and I will do my best to look for an official quote, perhaps until then it would be best to say that Libby lost her shoe.

11. The girls were found approximately 50 feet from the creek- so if the phone was in the creek, it would still be within close proximity to the CS.

14. Technically, your wording is correct. Having said that the fact IS that LE believes this to be true. I suppose we can make what we want of that statement then.

The sketches have certainly been confusing. As best as I understand, LE has instructed us to abandon the first sketch in favor of the 2nd? Or consider both, or? I have no idea where they currently stand on those sketches. Is this a Perp team? So confusing.

The "down the hill" voice, while a very short clip, sounds like a mature, older voice. To me, mid 30's to mid 40's. The fuzzy photo looks like an older guy to me as well; scrawny legs and portly gut. Of course the "gut" could be gear under the jacket.

The fact he didn't clue in to the phone suggests someone certainly not aware of technology. I love the fact he got outsmarted by a little kid.
We just need to keep looking under rocks where this snake has slithered.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Hello,
I am trying to jump in on some of these conversations .
I am new to posting, but not to Websleuths.
As to the video, the sketches, and the original "stills."
I honestly do not put a lot of faith in any of them.
The video was shot from a far enough distance that the man on the bridge looks (probably) nothing like any of us suspect.
Until there is advancement in cleaning up something with no discerning features, we really do not know what he looks like.
The sketches? I a apologize, but if they are done because of human recollection , it is doubtful that they are close .
The best thing about the video is watching the gait in the suspect.
Other than that- well, it is matrixing, in my opinion.

10. Hopefully, I have not already deviated from the facts!
Maybe the best way to say this is that we know Libby's shoe was found.
The accounts that I have read have stated that the shoe was found on a section of a private driveway that leads to a private home. I suppose that I should have sources for that, and I will do my best to look for an official quote, perhaps until then it would be best to say that Libby lost her shoe.

11. The girls were found approximately 50 feet from the creek- so if the phone was in the creek, it would still be within close proximity to the CS.

14. Technically, your wording is correct. Having said that the fact IS that LE believes this to be true. I suppose we can make what we want of that statement then.

I've always had trouble visualizing the park and the location of the bodies. I don't know for sure that the phone was in fact found in the creek, but if they were found only 50 feet away (I thought it was further, but could be wrong) I think it's pretty safe to say the phone was found either in the creek or on the side where they were found, which yeah is close proximity. "Safe to say" is not exactly factual, but close enough.

I'm not trying to be overly critical, and I do think it's good to have a list of "facts" here periodically for reference. The problem is, people occasionally come on here stating lists of "facts" and sneak a couple of their own opinions into the list to try to sway the "factual" narrative to align better with their own perception. It's my single biggest pet peeve in these discussions.

I do NOT believe this is what you are attempting to do, to be clear. I appreciate the list you provided, I can't stress that enough, and I think the provision of these lists, when done earnestly, are good opportunities to tighten up what truly is "factual" and what is not.

I've always had trouble visualizing the park and the location of the bodies. I don't know for sure that the phone was in fact found in the creek, but if they were found only 50 feet away (I thought it was further, but could be wrong) I think it's pretty safe to say the phone was found either in the creek or on the side where they were found, which yeah is close proximity. "Safe to say" is not exactly factual, but close enough.

I'm not trying to be overly critical, and I do think it's good to have a list of "facts" here periodically for reference. The problem is, people occasionally come on here stating lists of "facts" and sneak a couple of their own opinions into the list to try to sway the "factual" narrative to align better with their own perception. It's my single biggest pet peeve in these discussions.

I do NOT believe this is what you are attempting to do, to be clear. I appreciate the list you provided, I can't stress that enough, and I think the provision of these lists, when done earnestly, are good opportunities to tighten up what truly is "factual" and what is not.

I understand what you are saying. The term "factual" must be used carefully.
Perhaps in future posts, I will use a term that is better- maybe ...alleged, or even "likely."
As a lurker, I have seen the theories go from plausible to crazy.
The crazy ones seem to be more frustration-built because this case has so many reasons to be solved- and yet, we are all still here , reading, hypothesizing, and sometimes letting our emotions take over and build narratives that are bizarre.
So, as I sat and read..I told myself, if ever I participate in discussion, I will hold back on wild speculation.
This is only my fourth post, so I hope that I remember how I felt reading through the threads . These threads, by the way also have a tremendous amount of intelligence and compassion. So many thoughtful and rational posts!
I would like to help. I would like to be someone that is honest and compassionate to other people's POV.
If i get overly-speculative and stray from the facts, please give me a nudge.

I understand what you are saying. The term "factual" must be used carefully.
Perhaps in future posts, I will use a term that is better- maybe ...alleged, or even "likely."
As a lurker, I have seen the theories go from plausible to crazy.
The crazy ones seem to be more frustration-built because this case has so many reasons to be solved- and yet, we are all still here , reading, hypothesizing, and sometimes letting our emotions take over and build narratives that are bizarre.
So, as I sat and read..I told myself, if ever I participate in discussion, I will hold back on wild speculation.
This is only my fourth post, so I hope that I remember how I felt reading through the threads . These threads, by the way also have a tremendous amount of intelligence and compassion. So many thoughtful and rational posts!
I would like to help. I would like to be someone that is honest and compassionate to other people's POV.
If i get overly-speculative and stray from the facts, please give me a nudge.

Oh, there is absolutely nothing wrong with speculation, as long as it's clearly indicated that that's all it is. And while some of the speculation to me seems completely off the rails, one person's "wild" speculation may make perfect sense to others, so who am I (or is anyone) to say what's going too far?

The important thing in discussing whatever on here is to have a clear boundary between what is fact and what is opinion. As long as that boundary is in place, theorize away, it's all good :)

Hello,
I am trying to jump in on some of these conversations .
I am new to posting, but not to Websleuths.
As to the video, the sketches, and the original "stills."
I honestly do not put a lot of faith in any of them.
The video was shot from a far enough distance that the man on the bridge looks (probably) nothing like any of us suspect.
Until there is advancement in cleaning up something with no discerning features, we really do not know what he looks like.
The sketches? I a apologize, but if they are done because of human recollection , it is doubtful that they are close .
The best thing about the video is watching the gait in the suspect.
Other than that- well, it is matrixing, in my opinion.

These are all great examples of how to speculate and convey that you are doing so.

Quite a few people on here think the gait on the video is totally meaningless, but I agree with you that it is important.

I don't put a ton of faith in the sketches either, although (and I am in the minority on here) I think if the BG does resemble a sketch it's more likely to be the one released at the press conference, rather than the originally released one.

What exactly do you mean by "matrixing" in this context?

On the topic of the 10 mile total Delphi Historic Trail, I’ve often wondered if the killer over a period of time also watched other lesser used areas of the trail system for potential victims as well, and that the Monon Bridge just happened to be the location where he took the opportunity to attack the teens.

A few photos, several of other parts of the trail that appear to be equally isolated to the High Bridge portion.
Delphi Historic Trails Photos | TrailLink

It wouldn’t seem to me it was a sure thing two teens would happen to walk on the bridge on Feb 13/17 with nobody anywhere nearby. LE has never mentioned anything about possible multiple sightings of the suspect on prior days, if he was stalking the bridge area although that may indeed have occurred.

But I think the killer’s odds of finding a victim might increase if more than one location was watched and I can only compare it to fishing. That comparison indeed is rather crass, to compare a murderer to a fisherman but it’s the best example I can think of. It may apply to hunting as well, of which I know nothing about. In order to increase the chance of a good catch, most fisherman usually have a few favourite fishing spots along a river, not only one. If one location isn’t getting any bites, he’ll move on to another. This is why I wonder if the killer chose to seek innocent victims on the trail system, but not necessarily only at the area of the bridge.

JMO

Good points.

The other thing that struck me from your comment above was that if he was actually stalking that day and it was not just a random luck thing, that he could hide very easily back over on the north side of the bridge back in the woods to the east. he could hide behind a log or back far enough to where he could not be seen

Abby and Libby come and pass by and go across the bridge. But as soon as they reach the other side, here comes BG. And they DID NOT PASS anyone on their way there and probably didn't see anyone behind them.

THIS might have been what alerted Libby to stranger danger to turn on her phone. That is, some strange man showing up right behind you when nobody should have been that close would have been a bad sign. That person obviously either ran down the trail after them or came out of the woods lurking. Either case is scary.

Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker here.

Here's what I notice:
They're dropped off at 1:37.
1 hour and 38 minutes later at 3:15 DG hits the trails on foot. My question: Why so fast to go hunt? Was he already panicking after not getting a cell message back? Why? That really seems like a picky short time to hike to me. Was there another reason he's so fast to get worried? He calls BP at 3:30. By 4:20 others are helping. An hour later by 5:30 LE is called. The family's concern mounted quickly, in contrast to a lesser level of concern from LE who thinks it may be irresponsible teenage behavior. Did the family panic quickly because of reason or just because the girls wouldn't be so irresponsible. At about 11 year old a friend and I got involved playing in the nearby woods. The time flew by and we forgot we had dance class. Our moms were angry we'd wasted a class, lessons were expensive, but nobody sent out search parties or they'd have found us. The panic in the case of the girls seems to have mounted quickly. I don't know my point except why? Maybe I played in the woods in gentler times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova