Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #127

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He may have been sitting on the last platform or just walking towards them and they have to pass. I don't know, but he had to know he wasn't going to get caught down there in the middle of this crime. It was daylight, people were out and about in that park. So anyway, just my thoughts again.

So he emerges when Abby reached the end of the bridge, with Libby already having been there for a period of time. He walks past them without arousing any suspicion, simply a guy on a hike in the woods, says excuse me, and heads out on to the bridge as far as he was, checking to make sure things were clear as far as he could see.

Libby sees him spin around and head back swiftly toward them. Her spidey senses go in overdrive and she gets her phone out.

Off the general topic, but check the picture of Abby on the bridge. She appears to have a cellphone in her pocket. If not a phone, there appears to be something rectangular in there.

ALL speculation.

abigail-delphi-track.jpg

The second sketch, the one released at the April 2019 press conference, was actually made two or three days after the murders. Someone came to LE and said “they had seen someone doing something that they felt needed reporting”....or something like that. LE had this person sit down with a sketch artist at that time. Why they sat on it for two years is anybody’s guess. Why they pulled it back out and put it front and center is an even bigger mystery.
The new sketch doesn’t look like the guy on the bridge to me either...except if you go frame by frame, there are a couple of times where he looks a lot thinner and a lot younger. For the most part though, to me, he looks like the first sketch. The same sketch for two years LE insisted to us was the guy...just like they are insisting to us now the guy in the second sketch is the guy. I’m half expecting a new sketch sometime in the new year.
Another sketch? I wonder about that, too. The 2nd sketch released in April 2019 was actually drawn from one witnesses description. ISP 1st Sgt stated in one of the subsequent CrimeCon conferences that the 1st sketch released was a result of going to more than one witness that was on the trails and apparently it was done over and over till there was a reasonable consensus among the witnesses. Could one of those sketches or sketches from that process be released later? I can't see that being ruled out.

So he emerges when Abby reached the end of the bridge, with Libby already having been there for a period of time. He walks past them without arousing any suspicion, simply a guy on a hike in the woods, says excuse me, and heads out on to the bridge as far as he was, checking to make sure things were clear as far as he could see.

Libby sees him spin around and head back swiftly toward them. Her spidey senses go in overdrive and she gets her phone out.

Off the general topic, but check the picture of Abby on the bridge. She appears to have a cellphone in her pocket. If not a phone, there appears to be something rectangular in there.

ALL speculation.

abigail-delphi-track.jpg

I think her mom said she didn't have a cell phone, only Libby. I think that is her hand, like it is bent and you are seeing the knuckles that make that appearance.

But I've always wondered why there wasn't greater verification toward the 2:33. If that number is accurate, then it really makes me wonder what was going on with Bridge Guy. He would have had to wait an extraordinarily long time before entering the bridge. I'm almost thinking he expected someone to show up near the foot of the bridge, causing him to tame the demons and casually walk away. But once he waits 20 minutes or more and there's nobody in sight, he goes for it.
Snipped.
You may have hit the nail squarely on the head. He may have gone through the motions of a crime like this several times without actually carrying it out. Maybe he wasn't even sure himself whether he would go through with on that day. In past encounters, maybe the knowledge that he could go through with it if he wanted to was enough for him to get his fix. This may have been the one time when all of his stars were aligned and he followed through with his fantasy

I think you are playing a bit of Monday morning quarterback here. You know that the man approaching them on the bridge is going to kill them, so it is astonishing to you that they don’t bolt in some direction. They did not know the man intended to kill them. They were wary of him. I think they intended to let him cross and then politely start back across the bridge.
Yes, people are often wary or fearful, but then they calm themselves and tell themselves that they're being paranoid, so they don't avoid danger. That's what guys like BG count on.

I think they were leery of him, that is why she took the photo of him coming up after them. He doesn't have a weapon out at that point, that is why I think they passed him and he let them go to the end and then he turned around and was following them. I don't think the girls wanted alert him to their fear, they knew he was up to something, but like I said before, we get killed because we don't want offend someone.

When I reached that 2:07 point on the bridge I looked both ways and estimated it was 35% across. I mentioned that online on several sites, including here. Then someone did a more precise calculation based on footage. It is closer to 38-39% across.

There's no reason for Bridge Guy to be in the background at that point. He certainly doesn't want to already be on the bridge. That is far too soon. IMO, the two biggest misconceptions in this case are that the bridge area is highly travelled, and that Bridge Guy crossed rapidly.

Locals like Abby and Libby don't care about Freedom Bridge. They had roughly 90 minutes and were going to use the vast majority of it toward exploring Monon High Bridge, especially since it was Abby's first crossing. By every indication, their one-way crossing took an extraordinary amount of time. I was up there for 15-20 minutes one way because I knew I'd likely never be there again. I was stopping on every platform while filming short videos, etc. Abby and Libby apparently took even longer than that. They were no doubt stopping and talking and taking pictures galore.

Since we have only a couple of images, of Libby snapping a photo of a distant and walking Abby, and Libby videotaping a distant and walking Bridge Guy, it lends to a false impression of persistent spacing and non-stop foot travel. Meanwhile if we had video of the entirety it would immediately be shocking at how different the reality was. I'm not even confident that Bridge Guy walked the entirety without stopping occasionally, and looking like a tourist.

Why does he need to rush? Abby and Libby are crossing at 20 minute pace, if not slower. Bridge Guy has noted that pace before embarking. He's got to wait and make sure they don't turn around. The vast majority who venture onto that bridge do turn around. If Bridge Guy enters the equation when the 2:07 photo is snapped, then at normal 7 minute pace he's going to gobble them up while they are still midway on the bridge. No chance he can afford that. That scenario is going to set off alarm bells. That is not a passing bridge. Abby and Libby are exponentially more likely to be scared and take off quickly toward the end of the bridge if they see him on track to reach them early. Instead, Bridge Guy smartly waited until the girls were probably midway on the bridge, if not slightly beyond that. Then he can undertake a normal-looking 7 minute pace and maybe even slow down if he notices the girls taking even longer than he expected. Ideal timing for him is to reach the end just after they finished.

By all indications, that is exactly what happened. Abby and Libby expected a brief awkward encounter. That would have been the outcome virtually every time. When I visited my primary interest was exploring beyond the bridge, due to insistence the girls were trapped. Reality was what I expected: They were anything but trapped. But there also wasn't enough legitimate dread to cause them to dash away all. That is overplaying the result.

Surprise murders are going to happen. I hate to phrase it that way but it's part of normal distribution. Aspiring perpetrators and a competent plan.

Gray Hughes and others have used shadows and gauged the Bridge Guy video at slightly beyond 2:20. Maybe 2:22. I have seen assertions the video was taken as late as 2:33, which apparently sources from CNN. The 2:22 makes more sense to be since it would align with 20-25 minutes to cross.

But I've always wondered why there wasn't greater verification toward the 2:33. If that number is accurate, then it really makes me wonder what was going on with Bridge Guy. He would have had to wait an extraordinarily long time before entering the bridge. I'm almost thinking he expected someone to show up near the foot of the bridge, causing him to tame the demons and casually walk away. But once he waits 20 minutes or more and there's nobody in sight, he goes for it.
This or some variation is how I see it happening. Abigail and Liberty probably didn't have a purpose requiring them to cross the bridge in a deliberate, non-stop manner. Liberty had been over the bridge before and was probably there for the photo opportunities and therefore might stop along the way to at least look at the views down the creek. (I wonder if there aren't more photos on Liberty's phone of views down the creek other than the Snapchat photo of Abigail.) From what I've read this was Abigail's first time to cross the bridge and she might have been taking a more cautious pace than Liberty might have taken.

I seem to also recall either someone on here stating there was an unwritten rule or etiquette that you don't go out onto the bridge while someone else is on it. To avoid a situation where you would be going toward the south end while someone is trying to go north and end up crossing somewhere in the middle. Did the girls note that this guy wasn't observing this rule? If that is true, could Liberty's true purpose for video recording this guy was because of that - to show her friends later - and not necessarily because she suspected he was potentially dangerous?

Surprise murders are going to happen. I hate to phrase it that way but it's part of normal distribution. Aspiring perpetrators and a competent plan.

Snipped the post down to just this because it sums this case up perfectly, IMO. @Ozoner 's latest post hit exactly on it as well.

This guy isn't a genius. It likely never occurred to him to hide under the bridge or drive his car around to set up an ambush. He just gambled on being able to accurately predict human behavior (most offenders excel at it) right at the moment he came toward them on the bridge. He thought they'd stand still and wait so they didn't have to pass him on the bridge itself, and he was right. JMO

I agree with you. I also believe he knew the area but didn’t live there. He had to know the area. But I disagree that his relative knows he is The Killer. Family frequently are the last to know. Tons of guys around there look just like the video the girls took of the guy that scared them. So I don’t think he stands out. IMHO if his father or mother grandmother lives there or lived there that could explain his comfort with the bridge and knowing where to send the girls to be abused and murdered away from someone coming across them. He was super comfortable with the location. I’d be looking for sons or grandsons of people who live there now or grew up there. Maybe his grandmother, for example, when he was a kid, thirty years ago. The car has never been 100 percent connected to BG has it? Could be a red herring? All of this obviously is my humble speculation.
One of my theories. To further add, what if there was a relative - e.g., grandparent, aunt/uncle, great aunt/uncle - no longer longer lives in the area, but has moved, lives in a long term care facility or is deceased. Even if that relative could have recognized him that possibility of a relative recognizing him has decreased or is gone.

I didn’t initially think that he passed them and then turned around. I’m rethinking that. My reasoning is that he doesn’t seem very close to them in the video. I’m wondering if, from that distance, they were able to see anything that would cause them alarm other than the fact that he was walking toward them and they were alone.

It appears that he has something in his jacket and we believe he covered his face. Could they discern that from the distance that the video was taken?

Or, did he pass them and they were unsettled right away, watching him as he walked away from them - and then he turned around.

we only know what they released which is a brief snip. We don’t know what the full length of the video shows. For all we know it could show him turning around which could prove this theory true.

thoughts?

Snipped the post down to just this because it sums this case up perfectly, IMO. @Ozoner 's latest post hit exactly on it as well.

This guy isn't a genius. It likely never occurred to him to hide under the bridge or drive his car around to set up an ambush. He just gambled on being able to accurately predict human behavior (most offenders excel at it) right at the moment he came toward them on the bridge. He thought they'd stand still and wait so they didn't have to pass him on the bridge itself, and he was right. JMO

Bingo. And Abby and Libby were young teens who probably never thought they were in danger until they actually were. They weren’t really watching him or thinking about him at all until he was almost on top of them. The video likely confirms when exactly they became fearful and I think it was too late by that point. They weren’t adults 20, 30, 40 years older, with LE experience or life experience like many of us here. They were young girls, living in a small, extremely safe town where they thought they knew everyone and never considered they’d encounter a murderer during their 2 hours on a hiking trail on a Monday afternoon. Hell, even their family and local police/fire force didn’t think they were in trouble until their bodies were discovered. Moo

I didn’t initially think that he passed them and then turned around. I’m rethinking that. My reasoning is that he doesn’t seem very close to them in the video. I’m wondering if, from that distance, they were able to see anything that would cause them alarm other than the fact that he was walking toward them and they were alone.

It appears that he has something in his jacket and we believe he covered his face. Could they discern that from the distance that the video was taken?

Or, did he pass them and they were unsettled right away, watching him as he walked away from them - and then he turned around.

we only know what they released which is a brief snip. We don’t know what the full length of the video shows. For all we know it could show him turning around which could prove this theory true.

thoughts?

He was approximately 70 feet from Libby in the video, Libby was standing just off of the SE end of the bridge. Abby was still on the bridge.

The bridge is 850 feet long, so there was plenty of time for the girls to observe BG as he made his way towards them, and I think their senses perked up when it became apparent the guy wouldn't be turning around.

There was no "passing them", they were at the end of the bridge with nowhere really to go at that point.

JMO

He was approximately 70 feet from Libby in the video, Libby was standing just off of the SE end of the bridge. Abby was still on the bridge.

The bridge is 850 feet long, so there was plenty of time for the girls to observe BG as he made his way towards them, and I think their senses perked up when it became apparent the guy wouldn't be turning around.

There was no "passing them", they were at the end of the bridge with nowhere really to go at that point.

JMO
I the video of him walking those few steps, he appears to be veering to the side at the end. Any chance he caught up to Abby before she got to the end of the bridge? Threatened to push her off? Grabbed her? Was he that close? MOO.

thoughts?
My first instinct is that he "followed" them from a far distance across the bridge.
The girls may have seen him or passed him when they were dropped off and walking towards the bridge, then to all of a sudden see him behind them, coming towards them, once they got to the end.
I have read different theories of BG "passing them from south end, then turning around" I honestly, did not give much thought to that as I didn't think it happened that way, but now see that it could have been that way and maybe that is why their "hinky" meter, wanted to video him because MOST people do NOT enter the bridge from the South side, IMO
If he parked at the cemetery, came up the South end, passed them and turned around, he could have then exited thru the cemetery which is close to where the girls were found.
I parked at the cemetery before going to the bridge and CS and could see how easily that could be done.
I however, did NOT cross the bridge because of its condition and after taking a few steps on it, turned around and went back .. too scary for me.
so, yeah, I am on the fence
I have, from day one, thought this was targeted and nothing has changed my mind about that. JMO

My first instinct is that he "followed" them from a far distance across the bridge.
The girls may have seen him or passed him when they were dropped off and walking towards the bridge, then to all of a sudden see him behind them, coming towards them, once they got to the end.
I have read different theories of BG "passing them from south end, then turning around" I honestly, did not give much thought to that as I didn't think it happened that way, but now see that it could have been that way and maybe that is why their "hinky" meter, wanted to video him because MOST people do NOT enter the bridge from the South side, IMO
If he parked at the cemetery, came up the South end, passed them and turned around, he could have then exited thru the cemetery which is close to where the girls were found.
I parked at the cemetery before going to the bridge and CS and could see how easily that could be done.
I however, did NOT cross the bridge because of its condition and after taking a few steps on it, turned around and went back .. too scary for me.
so, yeah, I am on the fence
I have, from day one, thought this was targeted and nothing has changed my mind about that. JMO

IMO he saw them after they were dropped off. He also had time to change his appearance some after he spotted them. I don't believe he initially "followed" the girls like some folks do, he had time to collect himself before setting the wheels in motion to carry out his horrible fantasy. Like a half hour or so.

JMO

I have a hard time imagining BG starting from the south end of the bridge, passing them, then turning back around. That bridge is pretty scary and doesn’t appear to be made for people to pass each other. It might have happened but I would have to vote that the killer simply followed them onto the bridge as some distance.

I have a hard time imagining BG starting from the south end of the bridge, passing them, then turning back around. That bridge is pretty scary and doesn’t appear to be made for people to pass each other. It might have happened but I would have to vote that the killer simply followed them onto the bridge as some distance.

It doesn't make any sense, really.

JMO

that is my instinct also, especially after going there.
I always ignored the thought of him entering south side bridge and turning around because I just don't see it happening that way.
On the flip side, I don't want to have blinders on and not give it some thought that it could have happened....and it could have.
I just don't think it did either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member