IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #67

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The crime scene seems like it may not be good for fingerprints. Trees and leaves won't hold them. No clue if he touched the phone. But the phone seems to be one of the only things that would hold a print.
Very true.

The investigator in the interview where he describes the route they took, also chooses his words carefully about the location the phone was found. "In the general area." he says, so there is a possibility the perp handled the phone.

Thanks for all the great posts everyone. Some very good factual data to ponder.
Apologies if this has been dismissed or is verboten, but I can not get past the similarities to the Lyric & Elizabeth murders. Bridges, water, remote areas, reversed dates, two young girls, etc. Per this article, LE states there is *no* connection to Abby and Libby. Respectfully, I wouldn't dismiss that possibility at this time. Too many unknowns still to be answered.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...onnected-iowa-slayings-cops-article-1.2993393

[FONT=q_serif]Print lifting capability isn't binary regarding various surface types - there is somewhat of a spectrum of suitability for lifting fingerprints. Knowing my answers tend to wax prosaic, here's the TLDR as a public service:[/FONT]

• Easy: Glass, glossy tile, porcelain, lacquered furniture, smooth metal.
  • Involved: Paper, painted surfaces, drywall, cardboard, leather, most dashboards.
  • Difficult: Organic surfaces (tree leaves, fruit peels, feathers).
  • Formidable: Fabrics, human skin, and rough or textured surfaces (checkered handgun grips come to mind).
  • Virtually Impossible: Oily, rusty, or extremely dirty surfaces; high traffic surfaces with multiple overlapping prints; prints smeared by movement.
As well, the ability to get a usable fingerprint decreases with every object the perp touches.

How is that? Please could you explain?
Essentially, to create a fingerprint on a surface, there must be materials from the finger left behind. With every successive touch, whatever is on the finger is wiped off, leaving less material for the next fingerprint to be created.

For example, go to a mirror and press your finger on it. Then move an inch over and press it again, and then again, and again. Each fingerprint will get lighter and less visible with each pres. Then try wiping that finger on your clothing vigorously, and press again. See what appears. Try itching your forehead and then press again.

Lab techniques have improved significantly to identify fingerprints that wouldn't have been found in earlier times, even on fabrics, but it's still heavily reliant on the residue left behind.

Not sure why but the 4th video where she makes the smoking a blunt/marijuana gesture gave me a bad feeling. My mind instantly raced back to the theory discussed previously about meeting up with a stranger. (Note- I do recognize the song does talk about getting high and that's why she does the gesture) but watching that just gave me a bad feeling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a lot of girls on that app that are "popular" and tend to do that sort of thing and I think maybe libby tried to emulate them and their mannerisms like young girls do lol.
-
also off-topic from that but not really: I noticed her camera is not the best quality which makes me think she had an older phone. To me the camera quality looks like an iphone 4/5. Unless she got a new one since the incident then it's no wonder the video of BG was bad quality. Especially if it was the front camera. It sucks that she was smart enough to record him & the quality didn't pull through. :/

https://www.unodc.org/documents/org...cement/Criminal_Intelligence_for_Analysts.pdf
This one may be of use to Web Sleuth followers. It includes how to evaluate sources and data (information), analytical process, techniques -- link analysis, event charting, flow analysis, telephone analysis, and inference development.

If someone is interested in how to improve their abilities, this document may be of virtue to them. Obviously, it is not completely applicable to the discussions held on Web Sleuths, but some of it will be. And, if you deal with information in your day job, there are sections of the document that may be transferrable to various work roles.

Having trouble linking this updated .pdf file:

Indiana Missing Children Bulletin - IN.gov
IN.gov › isp › files › Indiana_Missing_C...

https://www.unodc.org/documents/org...cement/Criminal_Intelligence_for_Analysts.pdf
This one may be of use to Web Sleuth followers. It includes how to evaluate sources and data (information), analytical process, techniques -- link analysis, event charting, flow analysis, telephone analysis, and inference development.

If someone is interested in how to improve their abilities, this document may be of virtue to them. Obviously, it is not completely applicable to the discussions held on Web Sleuths, but some of it will be. And, if you deal with information in your day job, there are sections of the document that may be transferrable to various work roles.

Excellent resource! Thank you very much for sharing.

-Nin

Thanks for all the great posts everyone. Some very good factual data to ponder.
Apologies if this has been dismissed or is verboten, but I can not get past the similarities to the Lyric & Elizabeth murders. Bridges, water, remote areas, reversed dates, two young girls, etc. Per this article, LE states there is *no* connection to Abby and Libby. Respectfully, I wouldn't dismiss that possibility at this time. Too many unknowns still to be answered.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...onnected-iowa-slayings-cops-article-1.2993393

Perhaps they have non-matching (partial) DNA in both cases..? A copycat?

ALL IMO

-Nin

Very true.

The investigator in the interview where he describes the route they took, also chooses his words carefully about the location the phone was found. "In the general area." he says, so there is a possibility the perp handled the phone.

BBM

..and possibly lost the phone or Libby possibly dropped the phone.

ALL IMO

-Nin

Perhaps they have non-matching (partial) DNA in both cases..? A copycat?

ALL IMO

-Nin

Only LE knows if there was signature like aspects to the murders. To me, there are enough similarities to suggest the possibility of a SK. However, LE has stated this is not the case per my link upthread. It's still niggling at me.

Editing to add that the Southbend teen has been foumd safe. Thank god.

The day before Valentine's Day, was it important to the killer and carefully chosen or was it coincidence and just another weekday? What do you guys think about it and why?

Consequently, why did the killer show up on a Monday afternoon? Monday - Afternoon. The trail does not seem to be that frequented in general. How much less on a Monday afternoon, or because it is less frequented on a Monday afternoon?

I like to hear your thoughts.

-Nin

Nin, I suspect the attack occurred on Monday afternoon because it was a school holiday. Otherwise the two girls would have been in school. This begs the question often discussed here, was this a pre-planned meeting where the two girls thought they would be meeting someone else other than the killer, or was this a chance meeting? If it was a chance meeting for the two girls, was it also a chance meeting on behalf of the killer, or was he purposefully lying in wait for anyone who happened to show that afternoon and would kill them if the circumstance allowed it?

A decision making tree for each scenario could help keep information that is ambiguous in its meaning from clouding the larger discussion. If the information is just floating around clarity suffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova