IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 # 80

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that way too - and then I went to Delphi.

The bridge area isn't that secluded. The trail that leads to the bridge isn't far from the road, almost until you're right on the bridge. You can see houses; people outside in their yards can see hikers. When you arrive at the high bridge, it is more secluded, but in the winter especially, the area around the bridge is open, and the distances aren't so great that you wouldn't hear someone screaming. For example, Derrick went down the hill to the residences on the private end of road and found people at home. And there were other people around on the bridge close to when Abby and Libby were there. It's always seemed odd to me that no one reported hearing anything, especially if, as the family postulated, the girls fought back.

The MK segment was very good; she was asking the right questions but certainly not getting direct answers from Doug Carter. It bothered me that he wouldn't give straight answers. It felt more like he had a prepared speech aimed at raising his own profile on national television. He is, after all, a political appointee. As the ISP superintendent, he's not part of the active investigation team. I would have preferred to hear from someone with more connections to the nuts and bolts of the case.

Thank you very much for sharing your insight! It's always really great to read the thoughts of the very few who post here who are personally familiar with the area.

They did early on say they found no connection. Very early on that is. It’s lost in the beginning if you want to find it.

No thanks, I’ll take your word for it. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trails, yes, but it's Tennessee - hiking is a widespread pastime. Would be like a needle in a haystack if you're trying to zero in on someone based on if they like to hike.

The accent? Absolutely, positively not a native rural Tennessee accent. I'm from Indiana originally, and the accent sounds like my relatives there. Nondescript, Midwestern accent, not Southern.

Edit: Sorry, was replying to Post #56.

Hi LadyO,

I agree about the accent. To me, it sounds like it’s from somewhere between Eastern Illinois to Central Pennsylvania and Western New York (which includes Indiana and Ohio), north of Kentucky (Ohio River) up to the Great Lakes, including the Michigan “mitten”. BG’s voice sounds more like how people I know from that region speak, as opposed to people I know from other sections of the country, including people with Southern and Deep Southern accents.

The bridge area isn't that secluded. The trail that leads to the bridge isn't far from the road, almost until you're right on the bridge. You can see houses; people outside in their yards can see hikers. When you arrive at the high bridge, it is more secluded, but in the winter especially, the area around the bridge is open, and the distances aren't so great that you wouldn't hear someone screaming. For example, Derrick went down the hill to the residences on the private end of road and found people at home. And there were other people around on the bridge close to when Abby and Libby were there. It's always seemed odd to me that no one reported hearing anything, especially if, as the family postulated, the girls fought back.

The MK segment was very good; she was asking the right questions but certainly not getting direct answers from Doug Carter. It bothered me that he wouldn't give straight answers. It felt more like he had a prepared speech aimed at raising his own profile on national television. He is, after all, a political appointee. As the ISP superintendent, he's not part of the active investigation team. I would have preferred to hear from someone with more connections to the nuts and bolts of the case.
Wow that news about DG going to the house at the end of the private drive and finding people home is very interesting. Was that when he was actually searching around 3.15 pm?

Please could you provide a source link for that?

Completely agree with you about Doug Carter and I didn't know he was an appointee.

Hi LadyO,

I agree about the accent. To me, it sounds like it’s from somewhere between Eastern Illinois to Central Pennsylvania and Western New York (which includes Indiana and Ohio), north of Kentucky (Ohio River) up to the Great Lakes, including the Michigan “mitten”. BG’s voice sounds more like how people I know from that region speak, as opposed to people I know from other sections of the country, including people with Southern and Deep Southern accents.

Well, if we're taking bets on location... :thinking:

Based on my totally unprofessional opinion, I would say BG is from somewhere between the greater Indianapolis area and Pittsburg. Basically, the midsection of Indiana and Ohio. I don't hear northern Indiana or the Great Lakes areas in there (I have family there too), but that's just me. I don't hear anything in the clip that sounds like it could be a Southern accent, but again, it's only 3 words. I could be totally off!

Again, just MOO - a big, fat guess on my part. Hopefully, BG will be found soon, and end all our speculations!

TY Jax that was fast. What about the DG link I just requested? :smile:

If no link to iowa then I wonder if Spt. Carter has any others in mind of if he is just speculating like us?

No MSM link re DG that I'm aware of.

The way I understood Carter was logically BG has murdered before and will again. No hint they have him linked to other murders.

ETA: Here's the link again.

https://www.today.com/parents/families-murdered-indiana-teens-open-about-still-unsolved-case-t121231

Well, if we're taking bets on location... :thinking:

Based on my totally unprofessional opinion, I would say BG is from somewhere between the greater Indianapolis area and Pittsburg. Basically, the midsection of Indiana and Ohio. I don't hear northern Indiana or the Great Lakes areas in there (I have family there too), but that's just me. I don't hear anything in the clip that sounds like it could be a Southern accent, but again, it's only 3 words. I could be totally off!

Again, just MOO - a big, fat guess on my part. Hopefully, BG will be found soon, and end all our speculations!

I agree with this assessment. As I have stated repeatedly, the short clip (almost impossible to ascertain an accent based upon 3 words that don't include a "g" at the end or an "r") we have heard does not sound like any southern person I know or am related to. And I have lived in the south for almost 40 years. On the other hand, it DOES sound similar to my Indiana relatives, and the folks that I know in mid-Ohio, southern MI, and Illinois. I would probably extend that on through the rust belt region to include PA, too.

Quote Originally Posted by passepartout

Wow that news about DG going to the house at the end of the private drive and finding people home is very interesting. Was that when he was actually searching around 3.15 pm?

Completely agree with you about Doug Carter and I didn't know he was an appointee.

DG did not go to homes along the Private Drive. Tara and Cody did that. It's in Gray Hughes video where he explains Derrick's route.

Derrick took a short cut path to the creek's edge. Then, walked to Freedom Bridge. DG never walked across MHB. DH never went to MHB. Tara and Cody did both of those, too.

I agree with this assessment. As I have stated repeatedly, the short clip (almost impossible to ascertain an accent based upon 3 words that don't include a "g" at the end or an "r") we have heard does not sound like any southern person I know or am related to. And I have lived in the south for almost 40 years. On the other hand, it DOES sound similar to my Indiana relatives, and the folks that I know in mid-Ohio, southern MI, and Illinois. I would probably extend that on through the rust belt region to include PA, too.

I agree with you guys on this one. Down where I am in Florida the "accent", or lack therof is similar: Flat and nondescript, though 3 words is insufficient to speculate much on. BUT, if it were indeed remotely southern accent, then "hill" would be pronounced more like "heel". I hear no southern influence.

Yes. He went across the bridge and then down to the houses. CORRECTED: Derrick went down the steps to the creek at the Mary Gerard Trail. Cody and Kelsey went across to the houses at apprise 4 pm.

This is from the Dr. Phil episode - Derrick's calls and actions are discussed - and then expanded on in the driving videos.

Yes. He was appointed to his current post in 2012 by then-IN governor Mike Pence. Carter had a long career with the ISP, then ran for sheriff and served two terms in Hamilton County (between Indianapolis and the Delphi area). He worked in the private sector from 2010-2012, then was elected as county commissioner (also in Hamilton) but took the ISP job instead when Gov. Pence appointed him.

Carter has been in politics now for about 15 years and probably hasn't worked an actual case, especially a homicide case, in much longer than that.

In case anyone's not aware, Mike Pence is now Vice-President of the USA. Carter might be trying to get on his radar. In the past, he'd been active in Republican circles and a staunch supporter of some of Pence's unsupported claims.

My opinion, of course, but I don't think it serves the Delphi case to have Carter making national TV appearances with his own agenda in mind.

Exactly. Carter is saying there were no eyewitnesses to the crime.

Several times before LE has stated there were people who saw a man they believe is the murderer.

These two statements are not in conflict. moo

Doug Carter was asked about the image and audio. He skirts around the answer about Liberty's phone being an iPhone.

MK: Were there any eyewitnesses who saw him? DC replies: No, there were not.

DG did not go to homes along the Private Drive. Tara and Cody did that. It's in Gray Hughes video where he explains Derrick's route.

You're right, it wasn't Derrick. My notes say 'Cody and Kelsey' though. Not Tara (I don't think the who is important, it's just what I noted.) That was sometime after 4 pm. 4.20?

I will fix my post.

Regardless of who it was in that tight time frame, it's hard to believe that if three people took that route quite recently - two of them as a forced march, rumored to have fought back, you wouldn't see signs of recent disturbance. No footprints? No signs of anything?

Derrick took a short cut path to the creek's edge. Then, walked to Freedom Bridge. DG never walked across MHB. DH never went to MHB. Tara and Cody did both of those, too.

Derrick went down the 501 steps to the Mary Gerard preserve. That takes you down to the creek but it keeps you relatively close to the path that BG/A/L would have taken. As straight-line distances, these places are not far from each other. Certainly shouting distance when you're near the creek.

Hi LadyO,

If LE has a sentence or two it would reveal a lot about location. Word choice, vowel emphasis, etc. As a side note, I don’t have a link but I recall an article involving IP where Delphi police used voice analysis as evidence.

MOO

And was that on the afternoon of 13 Feb and were people at that home down the hill? If so did family and LE talk to them?

And was that on the afternoon of 13 Feb and were people at that home down the hill? If so did family and LE talk to them?

It's at 15:00 on the Gray Hughes video. Cody and Kelsi cross the bridge and go down to the houses. They found one person to talk to who hadn't seen anything.

I think it's only one house that you can really access from that private drive. There are houses nearby but are accessed via a different private drive. The video was a little unclear on exactly which house.

The private drive is a continuation of N625 W - you come to a gate with a lock and it's marked 'private'. I'm not sure how 'locked' it is now or was before the murders or what the protocols are for access.

A note about the gate. Just before you come to the gate, there are three houses set very close to the road (you can see this on Google Maps). Mentioning this because I'd think any weirdnesses would be noticed. Also note that these three houses are not so close to the bridge that Cody and Kelsey would have gone there in their initial search.

Although heading back toward those houses takes you toward Abby's house (on 625, about 1k from the gate) and this begs the question:

When did they first check to see if the girls had gone back to Abby's? When was her family first contacted about the missing girls and by whom? Does anyone know?

BP said she drove the two routes that Libby would have taken to walk toward home, but Abby's house was much closer to the bridge, so you think that would have been investigated but I've never seen any mention of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member