GUILTY IN - DARREN DEON VANN, 43, Gary, body count at seven, more expected

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg that issued this statement is the most powerful DA in the state, I've heard.
O/T - Here's her recent booking video for those not familar with her. (The Greg she insists be notified is Greg Abbott, State Attorney and current Republican nominee for governor.) http://youtu.be/s7y7oJ266qI

The Greg she is referring to is the Travis County Sheriff Sheriff Greg Hamilton.

Deja vu... Kenneth McDuff

Crime Library: The Broomstick Killer | Crime Museum
www.crimemuseum.org/crime-library/the-broomstick-killer
Kenneth McDuff was a TX serial killer suspected of at least 14 murders, one involving strangling a woman with a broomstick. He served time on death row twice; from 1968 to 1972, and again in the 1990′s.
<sniped read more>

FYI: Serial Killer Kenneth McDuff, was America’s Most Wanted’s 208th successful capture.

Ind., Va. arrests prompt other cold case investigations

&#8226; In Austin, Texas, police began reviewing their cold cases after receiving information from authorities in Indiana. Vann, 43,was convicted of aggravated rapein Austin in 2009 from a 2007 case, Austin police say. He served five years and left for Indiana in June, 2013.

"We're not publicly saying anything about it (the investigation) at this point," Ehlert says. "When we reach a point where we feel we have something pertinent to point out, we'll point it out."

Austin police are asking the public to come forward with information related to 14 unsolved homicides that occurred between Jan. 22, 1979, and Aug. 10, 1997, and six missing persons cases between Nov. 1, 2005, and April 20, 2014.

&#8226; Police in Havelock, N.C., are reviewing a cold case from 1992 to see if there are any links to Vann, according to media reports. Havelock borders the Cherry Point Air Station where Vann was stationed as a Marine from 1991-1993. Police are reportedly reviewing the slaying of Camille Whalen, 25, who was strangled and stabbed, then dumped near a baseball field in August 1992.

read more ............. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...sts-prompt-cold-case-investigations/17836985/

I wonder if the police departments in nearby cities like Chicago and San Antonio are also looking at cold cases in the Vann case. He seems to have hinted he killed at least one woman in Illinois (the only state we know of that he's been in or near enough to drive to without the death penalty, as far as I can tell), and if he traveled in Indiana/Illinois, it's not improbable that he traveled in Texas, too.

And if he can be connected to Camille Whalen, I hope the cities around Camp Pendleton are figuring out when he was stationed there and if any women went missing or were strangled in that time.

http://www.ebony.com/news-views/the-women-darren-vann-killed-werent-good-enough-to-be-victims-503

An opinion piece that looks at the way the victims are being portrayed in the media

Thank you, this is an excellent piece.

Following Vann&#8217;s confession to the murders of Afrikka Hardy, Anith Jones, Teaira Batey, Christine Williams and other still-unidentified women, where is the compassion for those who have &#8216;fallen through society&#8217;s cracks?'

I think this is a good question. It's interesting to look at how the media is treating Vann and his alleged victims compared to how they're treating Jesse Matthew and his alleged victims. First, the coverage of JLM is much higher even though he is suspected of fewer crimes and of being active for a much shorter time. And there has been much more focus on Hannah Graham and Morgan Harrington and their families than there has been on any of Vann's victims. (I see the same thing with Cassandra Morton &#8212; even though her case was reopened weeks ago and remains open, I have seen more people speculating about JLM being connected to the disappearance of Alexis Murphy, a closed case. But Cassandra, like Vann's victims, seems to have "fallen through society's cracks.")

Black women, some bravely living difficult lives, taken from their friends and families in such brutal ways---and yet we worry more about what they may have done that was wrong or distasteful than about what was wrong with the man who murdered them.

I think part of it is fear. People don't want to worry that they might be randomly targeted by a killer, they want to think that victims did something wrong. That way, if they avoid doing the same thing (sex work, walking alone while drunk, etc.) then they will avoid becoming a victim. But these women did nothing to deserve what happened to them and they should get the same amount of sympathy as any other murder victim. It makes me sad that there's so little attention on this case, and what there is seems to mainly be focused on Vann and the crimes he is suspected of, rather than remembering his victims as fellow human beings who did not deserve the fate they got.

Thank you, this is an excellent piece.

I think this is a good question. It's interesting to look at how the media is treating Vann and his alleged victims compared to how they're treating Jesse Matthew and his alleged victims. First, the coverage of JLM is much higher even though he is suspected of fewer crimes and of being active for a much shorter time. And there has been much more focus on Hannah Graham and Morgan Harrington and their families than there has been on any of Vann's victims. (I see the same thing with Cassandra Morton &#8212; even though her case was reopened weeks ago and remains open, I have seen more people speculating about JLM being connected to the disappearance of Alexis Murphy, a closed case. But Cassandra, like Vann's victims, seems to have "fallen through society's cracks.")

I think part of it is fear. People don't want to worry that they might be randomly targeted by a killer, they want to think that victims did something wrong. That way, if they avoid doing the same thing (sex work, walking alone while drunk, etc.) then they will avoid becoming a victim. But these women did nothing to deserve what happened to them and they should get the same amount of sympathy as any other murder victim. It makes me sad that there's so little attention on this case, and what there is seems to mainly be focused on Vann and the crimes he is suspected of, rather than remembering his victims as fellow human beings who did not deserve the fate they got.

Yes agree there is such thing as black American serial killer. A lot people don't know that young Black American women are found missing/killed at higher rate than any other. Some by the same person. Its very scary. Its hard to get some of these areas cleaned up without catching certain folks 1st. If you just tear it down, you have a skilled killer in another area of town or state. You get something like Vann or JLM they don't care who the victim is as long as it woman or female. Not to sound rude..

I think a part of it is fear. But also a part is clarity. It is hard to tell an understandable story and not tell all of it. Early on in this case a media tried to tell what happened in the Texas case without using the word prostitute. It did not go well and wasn't understandable. Also is using a description of what they did really a judgement or a statement of facts? If a firefighter or police officer or most everyone else dies in the performance of their duty, there would be much more discussion about their job, how long they had been doing it and so on. In a way not discussing it or trying to hide it seems even more judgemental.

As far as so much discussion about Vann that is always the way when it is a serial killer.
Many people are interested in a serial killer. How they lived, how they got by with it and all the related questions. Again I think a lot of that is related to fear, could it happen again. Also for media.... that is where the action is. He has court dates, body counts and everything. On the womens side, their families are grieving and many times don't want to talk. So obviously the action is what will make the media. That part really has little to do with the race of the women or their career choice. As an example do you know who Ted Bundy is? Can you name his victims without looking them up?

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_a8d6492f-bdcf-52ee-b47d-2b3b72237066.html

The Lake County coroner's office is working with another family in an attempt to identify the second of three unidentified women whose remains were found last month in Gary. The family is the second to give DNA samples for the coroner's office to send to Indiana State Police for comparison, investigators said.

The woman, Jane Doe 5, was found Oct. 19 in a home in the 400 block of East 43rd Avenue... Another woman was found in the home with Jane Doe 5, but no family has come forward as a possible match for her...

The coroner's office said last month that it gave state police DNA samples from a family that may be related to Jane Doe 3, who was found Oct. 19 in a home in the 2200 block of Massachusetts Street.

any new news??

I've been wondering the same. It's kind of sad how quickly this guy fell off the media's radar considering how active he has supposedly been. Are police even checking into old cold cases still? Or are they waiting on a DNA sample from him or something?

I've been wondering the same. It's kind of sad how quickly this guy fell off the media's radar considering how active he has supposedly been. Are police even checking into old cold cases still? Or are they waiting on a DNA sample from him or something?

That's what happens when people "lawyer up"................information ceases.

You can rest assured that every LE agency that has unsolved murders on the books is going to be looking at the DNA in this case. It is just a waiting game now. There is a lot of testing to be done, a lot of research to be done. It's going to take some time to try and track his movements over the years, and the people who disappeared during those times.

That especially stinks for those of us following the case, because we want instant results and we want everything pinned on him by tomorrow morning.
Imagine trying to track his movements for the last 20 years..? It's gonna take time...................as much as we hate it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lexus24
Back