IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oviedo thank you. There's no winners bringing this case before a judge or jury. I guess accountability on the grandfathers part, but the guilt alone is sentence enough. JMO

The heartbreak this family is going with losing their daughter. The grandfather will be going on trial.
The Chloe's mother and father are suiting royal caribbean for the death of their daughter.
My hope is they come to a plea agreement as I think the release of the video will be more pain for this family
IMO

Downcast grandfather who 'dropped toddler 150ft to her death' on Royal Caribbean ship leaves his first court appearance in Puerto Rico facing three years in prison if found guilty of negligent homicide

“The court heard that 'several' eyewitnesses, including two from overseas, will be asked to describe what they saw in the moments before 18-month-old Chloe plunged 150ft on to a concrete dock this summer.”

Grandfather who 'dropped toddler 150ft to her death' on cruise ship arrives at court in Puerto Rico | Daily Mail Online

Before? What did they see before he dropped her? Wow....

Yes... before... let that sink in
A completely unavailable tragedy that is senseless IMO

I know that Chloe's parents didn't go to PR with Anello, but did anyone in the family accompany him? His wife? I realize that there will be airline and accommodation costs involved with SA's trial in Puerto Rico, but isn't that among the reasons for the crowd funding? It seemed odd to me that SA was not accompanied by someone from the family. Maybe the criminal charges have caused some cracks in Grandpa's support system.

Video shows girl's final moments with grandfather before cruise ship death

New surveillance video shown to CBS News reveals the final moments before an 18-month-old girl fell to her death off a Royal Caribbean cruise ship. Chloe Wiegand was being held by her grandfather Salvatore Anello while the ship was docked in Puerto Rico in July...

The video, which has not been released publicly, will be a key piece of evidence in the criminal trial, CBS News correspondent David Begnaud reports. The video shows what appears to be 18-month-old Chloe cross over to the side of the ship and stand in front of a bank of windows. A man attorneys said is Anello is seen following her...

New surveillance video shown to CBS News reveals the final moments before an 18-month-old girl fell to her death off a Royal Caribbean cruise ship. Chloe Wiegand was being held by her grandfather Salvatore Anello while the ship was docked in Puerto Rico in July...

The video, which has not been released publicly, will be a key piece of evidence in the criminal trial, CBS News correspondent David Begnaud reports. The video shows what appears to be 18-month-old Chloe cross over to the side of the ship and stand in front of a bank of windows. A man attorneys said is Anello is seen following her...
from the link
snipped
The video shows what appears to be 18-month-old Chloe cross over to the side of the ship and stand in front of a bank of windows. A man attorneys said is Anello is seen following her.

There was a railing about a foot from the windows, Michael Winkleman, the Wiegand family's attorney said. The surveillance video appears to show Anello look over the railing for one second.

He then reaches down, picks Chloe up and appears to hold her over the railing. Winkleman said Anello didn't realize there was no glass directly in front of him. Within five seconds Chloe falls more than 100 feet below.
---
BBM - if he looked he had to know there was no glass, right? IMO.
Curious, why would the attorney be talking about this - what does he hope to gain? to sway the public to the "no glass" story? I do think there are witnesses IMO.

Once again, Winkleman is spinning the facts. I'm tired of hearing him talk about there not being signs about not sitting on the railings :mad: Grandpa probably wouldn't have paid attention to signage anyway. The guy doesn't think rules apply to him. If he had read his passage contract, he would know that the railings are not intended for sitting or standing.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/cruise-ticket-contract.pdf

Once again, Winkleman is spinning the facts. I'm tired of hearing him talk about there not being signs about not sitting on the railings :mad: Grandpa probably wouldn't have paid attention to signage anyway. The guy doesn't think rules apply to him. If he had read his passage contract, he would know that the railings are not intended for sitting or standing.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/cruise-ticket-contract.pdf
Excellent point @BetteDavisEyes and this might be why he keeps talking... I still suspect there will be a plea deal in the future. I think there is more to the video available - as in, this video that CBS News was shown, is not the only video IMO. I wonder if the pier has video cameras pointed at the ships.....
JMO

That seems to confirm speculation from a long time ago when there was that video of LE apparently simulating what happened with CW being rocked forward. It sounds like CW was accidentally pushed out the window by SA who apparently knew the window was open.

Excellent point @BetteDavisEyes and this might be why he keeps talking... I still suspect there will be a plea deal in the future. I think there is more to the video available - as in, this video that CBS News was shown, is not the only video IMO. I wonder if the pier has video cameras pointed at the ships.....
JMO

High security in port. I'm sure there is plenty of surveillance video on and off the ship. IIRC, there were witnesses on the ground as well as on the ship. Another fib by MW: "There were no witnesses".

Grandfather of toddler who died after falling from cruise ship window charged with negligent homicide

Several of us here on WS had discussed that the grandfather was negligent in holding little Chloe up to the open window

Thread #1
giphy.gif

I had to enter lurk mode before I got myself permanently banned back on thread one.
My position hasn’t changed from the minute I saw the original story (which included the since scrubbed “dangling out the window” “oops” teasing) and finding his mycase report.

And I’m still following... my sympathy to CW. She was a sweet, innocent and bubbly baby.

I think Winkleman is trying to backpedal to cover his own *advertiser censored*... But its not working.

I doubt that Grandpa thought there was glass where he lifted Chloe is going to fly ;)

After hearing that Chloe ran towards the windows with Grandpa following her makes me wonder if Chloe saw an open window and wanted to look outside the ship. There was a wall of windows, so why did Chloe move towards the window that happened to be open? Or did SA assume that Chloe wanted to look out the window and lifted her up so she could do just that?

It will hinge on whether he put his head out that window or not. The way that CBS article reads to me - there was no dangling risk game visible in the vid - just a quick peek, picking up baby then tragedy a second later.
I do believe they have more than one video and the CBS interview showed one video - IMO. I think there will be others that show different angles - we shall see.
JMO

Interview w Atty Winkleman?
High security in port. I'm sure there is plenty of surveillance video on and off the ship. IIRC, there were witnesses on the ground as well as on the ship. Another fib by MW: "There were no witnesses".
@BetteDavisEyes :) Thanks for your post. Just to expand on your quote of Atty Winkleman* from link.
He said, " ... no one who's come forward to tell any different story..."
Ten passengers may have given stmts & vids, all saying & showing G'father dangled her out window.
How would he (not rep'ing G'father) know no one came forward? Or what they said or recorded?

Does he have access to PR prosecutor's files re criminal case? Doubtful. jmo

-------------------------------------
* "The only way that you can prove or disprove anything that Sam said is based on the video and based on his testimony … Those are the only pieces of evidence you have," Winkleman said. "There were no eye witnesses. There's no one who's come forward to tell any different story. … So all you have is Sam's testimony, his story and the video." from Bette's link.

from the link
snipped
The video shows what appears to be 18-month-old Chloe cross over to the side of the ship and stand in front of a bank of windows. A man attorneys said is Anello is seen following her.

There was a railing about a foot from the windows, Michael Winkleman, the Wiegand family's attorney said. The surveillance video appears to show Anello look over the railing for one second.

He then reaches down, picks Chloe up and appears to hold her over the railing. Winkleman said Anello didn't realize there was no glass directly in front of him. Within five seconds Chloe falls more than 100 feet below.
---
BBM - if he looked he had to know there was no glass, right? IMO.
Curious, why would the attorney be talking about this - what does he hope to gain? to sway the public to the "no glass" story? I do think there are witnesses IMO.
bolding mine

Thanks, @oviedo !
Was going to post this but you beat me to it.

He looked.
He knew that window was open.
I stand by my theory that he possibly let her fall.... hoping for a huge payout from the cruise line.
People have killed for far less than what the Wiegand's hoped to receive from their lawsuit, which is still going forward at this time.
The fact that the parents filed a lawsuit within 24 hours of Chloe's death is telling.
The parents would be wise to end their lawsuit effective immediately.
SA is at fault here, and neither the ship nor the staff can prevent passengers from enacting their own free will.
Imo.

Interview w Atty Winkleman?
@BetteDavisEyes :) Thanks for your post. Just to expand on your quote of Atty Winkleman* from link.
He said, " ... no one who's come forward to tell any different story..."
Ten passengers may have given stmts & vids, all saying & showing G'father dangled her out window.
How would he (not rep'ing G'father) know no one came forward? Or what they said or recorded?

Does he have access to PR prosecutor's files re criminal case? Doubtful. jmo

-------------------------------------
* "The only way that you can prove or disprove anything that Sam said is based on the video and based on his testimony … Those are the only pieces of evidence you have," Winkleman said. "There were no eye witnesses. There's no one who's come forward to tell any different story. … So all you have is Sam's testimony, his story and the video." from Bette's link.
bolding mine
And this Winkleman is the same lawyer who claimed SA was not a drinker, never had been, and was not drinking on this cruise. :rolleyes:

I would like to see more video from before the incident.
What was SA doing ?

Last edited:
It will hinge on whether he put his head out that window or not. The way that CBS article reads to me - there was no dangling risk game visible in the vid - just a quick peek, picking up baby then tragedy a second later.
Yes, it does not sound at all like he dangled her in and of the window and was playing a game as I originally thought.

According to the reporter on CBS and the description of the video, he lifted her up, seating her on the ledge to look out the window and he lost his grasp and she fell.

What a tragedy for this family.
Hopefully this case will be wrapped up soon so they can put the whole thing behind them and begin to heal.

I imagine the grandfather's conviction and sentencing will depend on whether or not it can be proved that he believed there was glass there or not.

The video shows him looking out for a second, but since the ledge was about a foot from the window it sounds like he did not actually have his head outside of the window.

Either way, his actions were neglectful and there's no doubt he will feel guilty for the rest of his life over the loss of his grand daughter.

Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member