GUILTY IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #9 *NO JAIL*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From a statement sent to ABC4 today from MW:

This decision was an incredibly difficult one for Sam and the family, but because the plea agreement includes no jail time and no admission of facts, it was decided the plea deal is in the best interests of the family so that they can close this horrible chapter and turn their focus to mourning Chloe and fighting for cruise passenger safety by raising awareness about the need for all common carriers to adhere to window fall prevention laws designed to protect children from falling from windows.

The civil lawsuit against Royal Caribbean continues. We are deep into the process of discovery in the Civil case having already taken several depositions and numerous upcoming depositions including the Captain of the ship. Sadly, all of the discovery and evidence taken so far in the case confirms that this was a tragic, preventable accident and that there are absolutely no grounds to bring criminal charges against Sam Anello.

Grandfather pleads guilty in cruise ship death of toddler

BBM. That must be some mighty selective evidence gathering, because anyone with half a brain can see the recklessness of his actions.

This whole family has no shame.

Last edited:
I had to look this up as primary carers for children are charged with this and sent to jail for not showing due care if their child dies in Australia.
I’m gobsmacked here and now these people can still sue civilly?
I just don’t get it.

Negligent homicide
From Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Negligent homicide is the crime of killing a person unintentionally through negligence.[1] For example, someone might write a text message while driving a car, instead of paying attention to the road. If that makes them hit and kill someone, that is negligent homicide.

It is a lesser crime than murder or manslaughter and the sentences are lower

Mr Anello will not face any jail time and that he will serve probation in Indiana
“This decision was an incredibly difficult one for Sam and the family, but because the plea agreement includes no jail time and no admission of facts.

The civil case is ongoing.
Grandfather pleads guilty over toddler's fatal cruise ship window fall but won't face prison

Oh for goodness sake!
Oh yes, it's so "incredibly difficult" . Poor, poor little innocent Sam. I guess he has no inkling that he's actually the adult here!.
Nah... it's all about in defense of him who.... threw his little grandbaby off of a cruiseship!!! I don't even know what to say anymore. Again, it is just sickening to me. That creep makes me want to throw up.

From a statement sent to ABC4 today from MW:

This decision was an incredibly difficult one for Sam and the family, but because the plea agreement includes no jail time and no admission of facts, it was decided the plea deal is in the best interests of the family so that they can close this horrible chapter and turn their focus to mourning Chloe and fighting for cruise passenger safety by raising awareness about the need for all common carriers to adhere to window fall prevention laws designed to protect children from falling from windows.

The civil lawsuit against Royal Caribbean continues. We are deep into the process of discovery in the Civil case having already taken several depositions and numerous upcoming depositions including the Captain of the ship. Sadly, all of the discovery and evidence taken so far in the case confirms that this was a tragic, preventable accident and that there are absolutely no grounds to bring criminal charges against Sam Anello.

Grandfather pleads guilty in cruise ship death of toddler

MW is correct. It’s a tragic preventable accident: if grandpa had not lifted her up and over the hand railing/bannister then past the window sill, not swung her outside of the window, she would not have fallen to her death. His stupidity rises to such willful and wanton conduct that no reasonable person could conclude anything other than he should be found guilty of murder. Total disregard of all safety rules and absolutely no common sense. Seriously, can he be that stupid? I submit to you, that no, he is not that stupid.

ETA: let’s see if RCCL snaps to the fact that MW ADMITS it was a tragic, preventable accident. An admission against interest. And uses these words to win a summary judgment in favor of the cruise line.
I guess the grounds for bringing the criminal case were sufficient for grandpa to take the plea. Otherwise, he’d take it to trial and be exonerated.
Isn’t that right, MW? You of all people, would know all about the risks of taking this to trial.
I wonder if MW and family hired a safety expert to redesign cruise windows to make them “safer.” How would you make an opening safer?

Last edited:
MW is correct. It’s a tragic preventable accident: if grandpa had not lifted her up and over the hand railing/bannister then past the window sill, not swung her outside of the window, she would not have fallen to her death. His stupidity rises to such willful and wanton conduct that no reasonable person could conclude anything other than he should be found guilty of murder. Total disregard of all safety rules and absolutely no common sense. Seriously, can he be that stupid? I submit to you, that no, he is not that stupid.

ETA: let’s see if RCCL snaps to the fact that MW ADMITS it was a tragic, preventable accident. An admission against interest. And uses these words to win a summary judgment in favor of the cruise line.
I guess the grounds for bringing the criminal case were sufficient for grandpa to take the plea. Otherwise, he’d take it to trial and be exonerated.
Isn’t that right, MW? You of all people, would know all about the risks of taking this to trial.
I wonder if MW and family hired a safety expert to redesign cruise windows to make them “safer.” How would you make an opening safer?
They need to think very carefully about their civil action in our FL courts - everything is available to the public unless under seal which means the clear video of what he did will be seen and their family will go through Chloes’ death all over except this time there won’t be grainy video ...
IMO

They need to think very carefully about their civil action in our FL courts - everything is available to the public unless under seal which means the clear video of what he did will be seen and their family will go through Chloes’ death all over except this time there won’t be grainy video ...
IMO

Wish we could see the video. Now! But I suppose it will become available soon enough. As I recall, RCCL has proprietary software that makes the video clear. I wonder why PR authorities did not rely on that video to help the criminal case. Or did they?

Wish we could see the video. Now! But I suppose it will become available soon enough. As I recall, RCCL has proprietary software that makes the video clear. I wonder why PR authorities did not rely on that video to help the criminal case. Or did they?
I’ve seen the video quality from RCCL and Celebrity (someone in security cameras showed me) and I’m sure PR had it but they couldn’t overcome the slipping factor and were hesitant to go for murder IMO at least he has a guilty plea on his record and I doubt we will ever know if it was on purpose
JMO

My guess is they hope a cash poor RCCL (Covid) will settle so they can claim victory -
JMO
Hopefully a cash poor RCCL will be inclined to dig in their heels and refuse to settle with this family.
I can understand, in grief, lashing out at someone to mitigate your despair. But this family went gunning for RCCL right at the beginning of the tragedy, before they had a chance to fully process what ACTUALLY occurred. To me, it certainly appears that a potential for a large cash payment took precedence over true justice for their small daughter.

IMO
And they can watch his pathetic acting in front of news cameras. I wonder how much he was paid for exclusive interviews.

Hopefully a cash poor RCCL will be inclined to dig in their heels and refuse to settle with this family.
I can understand, in grief, lashing out at someone to mitigate your despair. But this family went gunning for RCCL right at the beginning of the tragedy, before they had a chance to fully process what ACTUALLY occurred. To me, it certainly appears that a potential for a large cash payment took precedence over true justice for their small daughter.
Even if they lashed out in grief initially, they should have had a chance to re-evaluate now that they have access to the evidence of what really happened that day. The fact that they are continuing to pursue their lawsuit against RCCL while exonerating the man who dropped Chloe to her death shows that they don't really want justice for their daughter; they just want an undeserved and unjustified windfall.

I’ve seen the video quality from RCCL and Celebrity (someone in security cameras showed me) and I’m sure PR had it but they couldn’t overcome the slipping factor and were hesitant to go for murder IMO at least he has a guilty plea on his record and I doubt we will ever know if it was on purpose
JMO
I'm very hesitant to speculate that SA could have done this on purpose. I think this is just what it appears to be: a reckless, negligent fool thought it would be great fun to dangler a toddler out a cruise ship window. People do stupid, dangerous things all the time: just think of all the people who have died taking selfies while standing on the edge of a cliff, a waterfall or a high-rise building.

I get it if some unforeseen misfortune hits a family. But these people? Her son NEEDS to go to Europe for some tournament. She NEEDS burial expenses. Give me a break.
Did we ever get to the bottom of life insurance for all passengers in the family? I know the life insurance issue on Chloe went dead. Sure. I’ll contribute. To the fund to figure out the finances of that family.
Grandparents of the father, LE, never said anything, did they?
Guess what I’m thinking about those grandparents.
I'm guessing the grandparents (the father's parents as well as the mother's biological dad and stepmother) haven't said anything in an effort to preserve family peace and harmony. But have you noticed how they have not spoken out in support of SA or the parents' lawsuit, not even once? In this case, their silence speaks volumes.
I have the feeling that the mother (Kimberly) is the dominant partner in the Wiegand's marriage, that she is the driving force behind all the fundraising accounts as well as the lawsuit, and that the father is just going along for the ride. Several months ago, she said that she had not seen the video and had no intention of seeing it. I wonder whether the father has seen it?

I'm very hesitant to speculate that SA could have done this on purpose. I think this is just what it appears to be: a reckless, negligent fool thought it would be great fun to dangler a toddler out a cruise ship window. People do stupid, dangerous things all the time: just think of all the people who have died taking selfies while standing on the edge of a cliff, a waterfall or a high-rise building.

I agree- I have felt it was an intentional act but it was a massive act of negligence for which he should spend some time in jail IMO. I see the family as greedy and hope the Cruise Company does not settle with these people, but, we know how that sometimes goes especially in light of a world wide pandemic- do they really want a protracted expensive trial?

For all you legal eagles on this site....... is there any chance that the case will now be dismissed by the Florida judge , given that all discovery is complete AND a guilty plea was entered by SA??
not without a motion to dismiss filed in the civil matter by RCCL - the Judge doesn't know about the guilty plea - IMO
I will try and check the docket this weekend to see if anything new had been filed - we did have someone who posted the filings early on but I haven't seen them lately

There will never be justice for baby Chloe. Every party failed this child. Charges filed against SA basically amounted to a misdemeanor so the same DA offering SA a plea deal was not so different than the penalty if tried in court.

Chloe would be alive today if not for SA raising her to the window AND breaching the security rail. She did not reach the open window by herself.

In the civil suit, RCCL is delaying discovery.

This child's life is nothing more than a footnote to everybody. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joybird99
Back