IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grandfather Who Dropped Toddler From Cruise Ship Deck May Face Charges | HuffPost

July 9, 2019

A man from Indiana may face negligence charges after dropping his 18-month-old granddaughter from a cruise ship deck in Puerto Rico on Sunday, resulting in the child’s death.

[It appears negligence was suspected by the investigators from the beginning, and I believe it also explains why the parents (experienced in legal matters) immediately took a defensive position about the accident].

The Royal Caribbean ship Freedom of the Seas was docked after a seven-day Caribbean cruise, and Salvatore Anello was with his granddaughter, Chloe Wiegand, in a children’s play area that was mostly enclosed by clear glass paneling.

[...]

Anello placed Chloe on a railing that he believed was behind glass so she could see outside, the family’s lawyer Michael Winkleman told NBC News.

“Essentially, her grandfather lifts her up and puts her on a railing and where he thinks that there is glass there because it’s clear, but it turns out there was no glass there,” he said. “She goes to bang on the glass like she would have at one of those hockey rinks, and the next thing you know, she’s gone.”

[...]

Authorities said on Monday that they are investigating whether to charge Anello with negligence for dropping the little girl, but his family isn’t blaming him for Chloe’s tragic death.

Grandfather Charged in Toddler’s Fatal Fall From Cruise Ship

Oct 29, 2019

The grandfather of a child who fell to her death as he held her near a window on a cruise ship has been charged with negligent homicide, the Puerto Rico Department of Justice announced on Monday.

[...]

Mr. Anello, 51, “negligently exposed the child to the abyss through a window on the 11th floor of the cruise ship,” Dennise N. Longo Quiñones, the Puerto Rico attorney general, and other officials said in a statement. The child fell 115 feet off the cruise ship, called Freedom of the Seas.

[...]

On Monday, Judge Jimmy Sepulveda of the San Juan Investigation Court set bail at $80,000 for Mr. Anello, who was charged with one count of negligent homicide. Mr. Anello, who lives in Indiana, was in the courtroom and posted bond, according to Michael Winkleman, a lawyer for the child’s parents. He is expected back in Puerto Rico for a preliminary hearing on Nov. 20.

Prosecutor cites SA raised CW to the window exposing her to danger. Nowhere has the prosecutor alleged SA dangled baby outside the window, and I see no reason to allege what's not been charged by investigators and/or the Dept of Justice.

Many photos exist of a dotting grandfather with child in his arms -- often bringing objects to her reach. Seems to me this was no different for them except gravity took hold here when child leaned forward towards the windows and the opening.

So why was SA charged with negligent homicide when no charges filed for at least three other (child) falling injuries/death on RC (2012-18)? Probably because Chloe could not reasonably reach the dangerous opening without the aid of an adult.

Would SA be charged if Chloe pushed through a screen in that window? Probably not.

MOO

ETA: Never seen window screens on any cruise ships.

Last edited:
Right. (Obligatory) IMO, Chloe was held above the railing. I can't see how people are still talking about her being "seated" anywhere. She fell from his arms. That's pretty clear at this point.
I'm guessing that the railing is meant to prevent passengers from leaning out the window. And by passengers, I mean adults, since the window is too high for a child to reach. How could the cruise company have foreseen that one of their passengers would lift a child up to the window and over the safety railing?

From above post: Would SA be charged if Chloe pushed through a screen in that window? Probably not.

I've never seen window screens on any cruise ship.
Who would go on a cruise to look through window screens? Ridiculous.

I recently went on two different whale watching trips. There were probably 6 - 10 young children on each, and parents were insisting that the kids sit down beside them. Several were young enough that the parents took them out of strollers before boarding the boat.

These were open boats, no windows, screens or barriers. No posted warnings about keeping children from leading over the side, standing on the seats, etc. Yet parents were taking responsibility for their children.

More falls, injuries, deaths at dock than sea?
Researching child and/or youth age falls from cruise ships -- seems many occur when the ship is docked at port. Do passengers feel a false sense of security about falling when docked?
@Seattle1 :) Good question.

^ At dock = beginning or cruise or end of cruise.
At dock, embarking & debarking days, maybe parents are in distracted mode, thinking about logistics.
Makes sense that kids could be exploring, 'trying things.'

Then again, some kids are always testing the limits, trying new things, regardless of location, so it may be as much about the kids feelings their Cheerios, as much as parents being less attentive. jmo

Attachments

• 53EF8864-AFCE-4E76-B26F-F629E8265A22.jpeg
    53EF8864-AFCE-4E76-B26F-F629E8265A22.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 34
Well, unless he was helping her play "peek a boo" with someone on the ground, I don't know what other reasonable explanation there would be.
I doubt he dropped her intentionally.
Either way, the reason doesn't really matter. It was an accident that was caused by his poor judgement and reckless behavior.
His mistake was not being truthful in the beginning. All the different stories we have heard make him sound even more guilty.
Putting the blame on the ship only makes matters worse.

Imo

A thought he could’ve had her his shoulders and he leaned out.

Grandfather Who Dropped Toddler From Cruise Ship Deck May Face Charges | HuffPost

July 9, 2019

A man from Indiana may face negligence charges after dropping his 18-month-old granddaughter from a cruise ship deck in Puerto Rico on Sunday, resulting in the child’s death.

[It appears negligence was suspected by the investigators from the beginning, and I believe it also explains why the parents (experienced in legal matters) immediately took a defensive position about the accident].

The Royal Caribbean ship Freedom of the Seas was docked after a seven-day Caribbean cruise, and Salvatore Anello was with his granddaughter, Chloe Wiegand, in a children’s play area that was mostly enclosed by clear glass paneling.

[...]

Anello placed Chloe on a railing that he believed was behind glass so she could see outside, the family’s lawyer Michael Winkleman told NBC News.

“Essentially, her grandfather lifts her up and puts her on a railing and where he thinks that there is glass there because it’s clear, but it turns out there was no glass there,” he said. “She goes to bang on the glass like she would have at one of those hockey rinks, and the next thing you know, she’s gone.”

[...]

Authorities said on Monday that they are investigating whether to charge Anello with negligence for dropping the little girl, but his family isn’t blaming him for Chloe’s tragic death.

Grandfather Charged in Toddler’s Fatal Fall From Cruise Ship

Oct 29, 2019

The grandfather of a child who fell to her death as he held her near a window on a cruise ship has been charged with negligent homicide, the Puerto Rico Department of Justice announced on Monday.

[...]

Mr. Anello, 51, “negligently exposed the child to the abyss through a window on the 11th floor of the cruise ship,” Dennise N. Longo Quiñones, the Puerto Rico attorney general, and other officials said in a statement. The child fell 115 feet off the cruise ship, called Freedom of the Seas.

[...]

On Monday, Judge Jimmy Sepulveda of the San Juan Investigation Court set bail at $80,000 for Mr. Anello, who was charged with one count of negligent homicide. Mr. Anello, who lives in Indiana, was in the courtroom and posted bond, according to Michael Winkleman, a lawyer for the child’s parents. He is expected back in Puerto Rico for a preliminary hearing on Nov. 20.

Prosecutor cites SA raised CW to the window exposing her to danger. Nowhere has the prosecutor alleged SA dangled baby outside the window, and I see no reason to allege what's not been charged by investigators and/or the Dept of Justice.

Many photos exist of a dotting grandfather with child in his arms -- often bringing objects to her reach. Seems to me this was no different for them except gravity took hold here when child leaned forward towards the windows and the opening.

So why was SA charged with negligent homicide when no charges filed for at least three other (child) falling injuries/death on RC (2012-18)? Probably because Chloe could not reasonably reach the dangerous opening without the aid of an adult.

Would SA be charged if Chloe pushed through a screen in that window? Probably not.

MOO

ETA: Never seen window screens on any cruise ships.

I thought they’d boarded ready to start the cruise.
Someone please confirm?

The Royal Caribbean ship Freedom of the Seas was docked after a seven-day Caribbean cruise, and Salvatore Anello was with his granddaughter, Chloe Wiegand, in a children’s play area that was mostly enclosed by clear glass paneling

is it just me or do the windows look square on the exterior view and rectangular on the interior view? I don’t understand why they look so different.
Honestly I think it’s the camera angle - I’ve been on many RCCL cruises and deck 11 is very similar ship to ship - having said that these pics are from the dailymail with their sources so I just don’t know for sure - I do believe IMO the windows are the same though
Will take pictures in December on a similar boat to see for myself

I thought they’d boarded ready to start the cruise.
Someone please confirm?

The Royal Caribbean ship Freedom of the Seas was docked after a seven-day Caribbean cruise, and Salvatore Anello was with his granddaughter, Chloe Wiegand, in a children’s play area that was mostly enclosed by clear glass paneling
I've read more reports that this was first day onboard for the family. I believe "after" notation was reported in error. MOO

The tragedy occurred on board the Freedom of the Seas ship at the Panamerican dock on July 7. The family hails from Indiana. They had boarded the ship in Puerto Rico. It had been due to depart at 8:30 p.m. local time on the day of the tragedy. Wiegand fell to her death at around 5 p.m.

[...]

The ship left Puerto Rico on July 8 and was headed to St. Maarten on a new itinerary, according to SeaScanner. The ship carries more than 4,500 passengers and crew. The ship will return to Puerto Rico on July 14.

Last edited:
"Conflicting Windows "?
is it just me or do the windows look square on the exterior view and rectangular on the interior view? I don’t understand why they look so different.
From a post I made Thursday, w same idea,
"@oviedo :) Thanks for your post and these pix.
"I'm wondering if first two pix are the interior/exterior of same windows.
Interior - imo, in nighttime pic w ppl & police tape facing wall of windows, windows are 'landscape.'
Exterior - imo, in pic w open window, circled in red, windows are 'portrait' (at least middle row).
Do they look different because they were taken from diff angle?
Are my eyes wonky? My tablet? My brain?"

Several other posts discussed.

Could be cam. angles. Could be pix of different windows.
Hoping oviedo's pix on cruise next month will provide a definite answer.

I'm not convinced the exterior photo published by DM is Freedom of the Seas cruise ship -- which is described as a wall of windows, and not as depicted on the exterior shot.

Here's photo of the window wall on floor 11 by RC on typical cruise day.

toddler-death-opinion-759x500.jpg

Photo credit:
https://cruisepassenger.com.au/chloes-death-lets-not-turn-this-tragedy-into-a-reason-to-ruin-the-cruise-experience/

Safety rails are there for a reason: safety. If Chloe Wiegand had been standing on boat deck, holding hands with her Grandfather, there wouldn't even be this discussion. At her age, the rails are about 18 inches above her head. Windows are also above the height where she had access.

The only possible explanation for Chloe's death, is that an adult facilitated the child's access to these areas. Chloe couldn't fall out of the window, without being lifted up to it, by an adult.

Therefore, logic would state that Royal Caribbean is not at fault for Chloe Wiegand's death, but the adult that put her in the situation to fall.

What Did CBS Reporters Say? "None...Agrees that It is a Crime?" Did They Say That? So?
....this national CBS story from today makes no mention of police and none of the news panel agrees that it is a crime. Thanks!
@MyBelle :) sbm On ^ post , you said:
"....CBS story from today makes no mention of police and none of the news panel agrees that it is a crime....Grandfather charged in death of granddaughter who fell from cruise ship" bbm

Q 1. Is your post referring to ^ link? Or a different link?

Q 2. If same link, pls note timestamps at which each reporter says/agrees G'pa's action(s) is not a crime.
I watched and listened several times and do not hear any of the dispute it is a crime. Detail below.

Q 3. Are/were any/all of these reporters attorneys?
If the reporters are not attys, I'm not denigrating them or their opinions, on that basis, but I believe numerous posters here know more about circumstances and actions on the cruiseship, more about the background of G'father & Mom & Dad, and have analytic skills equal to or exceeding some national news reporters. Imo some of our posters have a more informed view of the case than these reporters who have to cover many stories daily.

Q 4. Have any/all of these four reporters seen cruiseline's vid(s)?

If so, I think they would be given extensive air time, so doubtful imo. In that regard, those reporters and our posters here are on a level field.

If answers are 'no' to Q 3 & Q 4, I'm inclined to give the reporters' opinions the same weight and credibility as a 'person on the street' interview. Others might give them more credit. Maybe what the reporters say is indicative of what a jury may think, before seeing and hearing the vid and other evidence. I'm just saying their statements are not infallible, and their opinions are their opinions.

Q5. Does linked CBS vid support the conclusion, that none "agrees that it is a crime?"
I'm interpreting these comments as sympathetic to all in the family and hearing some questions about the circumstances. I'm not seeing or hearing four panelists as saying - no crime.

Finally on ^ linked vid, here's what I saw and heard.
Gayle's intro, then ~ a couple min of Jerrika(?) delivering body of story.
Starting ~ 2 min:50 sec's, Gayle/Red Dress says ~ Seems like a tragic accident.
Then Purple Tie says ~ I don't see why they would indict unless the fam was for it.
Then Jerrika(?)/Black Dress/Plaid Skirt says ~ It's negligent homicide, so not intentional. Have to see how it plays out.
Striped Tie says ~ $80,000 bond is not nothing. In pix you see glass, glass, glass, open window, glass, glass, glass.

Q 6. Did I miss the parts where they said no crime? Maybe I missed/misinterp'ed something which I've done before and undoubtedly will again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slueth_cat