IN IN - Herbert Richard Baumeister AKA Brian Smart Preyed on Gay Men - Remains Found at Fox Hollow Farm - Possibly I-70 IN/OH Serial Killer

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

"Our relationship wasn’t perfect, but I knew we were a happy family," Julie Baumeister wrote in a December 1996 Indianapolis Monthly article titled "Life in Limbo."

"Herb always came home for dinner, and we did everything together, whether it was yard work, building a play center in the backyard or spending time with the children," she wrote. "Herb was always involved in his kids’ lives, at school as well as at home."

In 1988, the couple got a loan from Herb's mother and opened their first Sav-A-Lot thrift store, Julie wrote. The business was so successful that they opened a second store and moved to Fox Hollow Farm in 1992.

WRTV is taking a deep look into that hunt and the Hamilton County Coroner's new push to name the still unidentified victims he killed decades ago.

WRTV’s report contains links to sheriff’s department interviews and other information including a timeline.
Very happy that efforts have not stopped. I hope we get an ID on one of the sets of remains soon...

The remains recovered from the home matched a family reference sample that was submitted in late 2022 and was identified as Allen Livingston. He was reported missing to the Indianapolis Police Department in 1993.

Livingston’s identity was discovered as the result of many forensic experts working collaboratively in an effort to identify nearly 10,000 human remains recovered from Fox Hollow Farm.

The remains recovered from the home matched a family reference sample that was submitted in late 2022 and was identified as Allen Livingston. He was reported missing to the Indianapolis Police Department in 1993.

Livingston’s identity was discovered as the result of many forensic experts working collaboratively in an effort to identify nearly 10,000 human remains recovered from Fox Hollow Farm.
Oh wow! I know they've suspected Allen had been a victim for awhile now

Rip Allen

This was exactly what I was hoping for! Allen has finally been found after all these years. Now, we just need to ID the other remains and find Jerry.

Rest in peace Allen

Bumping the other 4 up. All 5 links are still active

Source for those who can't view the first one:

This source suggests Allen's remains were discovered in 1996, likely only ID'd now due to new DNA technology.

County Coroner Jeff Jellison said Livingston was the first victim to be identified since the office sent a batch of 44 samples to state police roughly 18 months ago.

“His family was also the first to submit a sample,” Jellison said.

Allen Livingston's mother, Sharon, had long maintained she believed her son was a victim of Herb Baumeister.

"We identified a man that was reported missing 30 years ago whose remains were part of 10,000 remains that were burnt and crushed, and we identified that person," Hamilton County Coroner Jeff Jellison said. "Honestly, yeah, there were some high fives, but it very quickly turned to the stark reality, we had another murder victim, and then, there were some tears."
The human remains police were able to trace back to Livingston was a human bone, one of some 10,000 remains still buried on the property that was once the 18-acre property of Herb Baumeister, who police believe preyed on young queer men in Indianapolis throughout the mid-1980s and early 1990s.''

I doubt we will ever know the total number of victims of HB. I've suspected, for a long time, that he is responsible for a number of victims who were not disposed of on his property; he is known to have traveled to neighboring states quite a lot, ostensibly for business purposes.

I think he'll keep law enforcement agents busy for a long, long time.

I doubt we will ever know the total number of victims of HB. I've suspected, for a long time, that he is responsible for a number of victims who were not disposed of on his property; he is known to have traveled to neighboring states quite a lot, ostensibly for business purposes.

I think he'll keep law enforcement agents busy for a long, long time.
Theres been public speculation from LE that he is the I-70 strangler too

Resendez is among the first to be positively identified as one of Baumeister’s potential victims.

According to the Indianapolis Star, investigators believe Baumeister targeted gay men, brought them back to his home, and killed them.

In June 1996, Baumeister’s teenage son reportedly found a human skull on their land and brought it to his mother. Baumeister reportedly said the remains were left over from his late father’s medical practice. Baumeister and his wife were in the middle of getting a divorce at the time, and when her son showed her the skull, she filed an emergency protective order against Baumeister.

WXIN-TV reports the Hamilton County Coroner’s Office believes there could be 25 people buried on the property

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbieJ
Back