GUILTY IN - Jada Justice, 2, Gary, 16 June 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have to say that I'm very surprised by the info contained in darlin gal's post regarding the fact that LE did not give the cousin a drug test if she visibly appeared to be on something. Gotta say that makes no sense to me.

I think they said it wasn't worth the risk that Engelica might end the interview if they said they were going to do a drug test. I think her and her boyfriend smoke weed. Earlier, someone posted his last myspace status and it was "blazed". Around here, that's slang for being very, very high on marijuana. I don't know, I guess I just don't see Engelica as doing anything stronger than weed. I know a lot of young girls like her that lead her kind of lifestyle, and most of them just smoke a lot of weed. I could be completely wrong, of course. That's just my opinion.

I have to say that I'm very surprised by the info contained in darlin gal's post regarding the fact that LE did not give the cousin a drug test if she visibly appeared to be on something. Gotta say that makes no sense to me.

The official line from LE is that they did not do so because they thought it would end any co-operation they would get from EC to find Jada.

Earlier I was surprised that their were no charges for the drugs that reportedly were found in Engelica's home and that they questioned TT early in the investigation only briefly. I am now wondering if the explanation for these is that LE does not want to shut down lines of communication or push the two into a position where they need to get a lawyer.

I wonder how hard they are pressing for those polygraphs and an explanation for TT's burns. At this point I wonder if the priority is to find Jada and then determine they who, what, when, why, wheres and hows.

Hi Daisy,

We have the dob's, thank you. We have been discussing this in Case Briefings. Later today I want to post notes for Engelica, whose transits have caught our attention. (After my daughter's swimming lesson:) )
--------------
I know you are not replying to me but I was wondering about your discussing this in "Case Briefings". Is this another thread, or site? Just interested.

Nice summary daisy.faithful. Last night on Nancy Grace the mother was on and said that the milk and cigs did get bought. Somebody (I can't remember if it was Nancy or the mother) said she was going out for milk, cigarettes, and a case of water. But she only bought the milk and cigarettes. It seems this came from the store clerk. I don't know if something happened to the milk and cigs afterwards to start the story that they didn't exist.

I was watching right before I fell asleep, so I can't remember exactly who said what, but the info came up during the interview of the mother. She confirmed that she and the father had taken polygraphs but as far as she knows the cousin had not. Did anyone else see the interview?

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0906/23/ng.01.html
July 23, 2009

...SWIONTEK: It was actually milk and cigarettes and she was actually trying to get water as well. A case of water. She says. They didn`t have them so she just got the milk and the cigarettes and went back out to the car and my daughter was gone.

GRACE: And that has been confirmed that she was there?

SWIONTEK: Yes.

GRACE: Now.

SWIONTEK: As far as -- I mean, yes, I mean I talked to the attendant myself. And this is what he told me. And the police as well have said that that`s what they told him as well.

Mother and Father of Jada have taken LD tests:
...GRACE: Has the babysitter taken a polygraph?

SWIONTEK: No, not as far as yesterday. No.

I was very careful not to violate copyright. That looks like a lot of copy and paste but it's not in comparison to the entire script.

The Mother states to NG that she has asked the babysitter over and over why did you leave her in the car. The answer is "I don't know".

I, too, question why she would have pulled to the dark side of the store to go in...I don't believe that this child was abducted. I believe that the babysitter/cousin knows exactly what happened to this child.

Hi loresbsp,
I'm going to give my opinions in red... your questions are in the original black. :)

Thanks for your warm welcomes everyone. I still have so many questions and things that just don't sit right.
:)

-Who, besides Engelica and her boyfriend, was the last person to see Jada alive? Were Engelica's neighbor's questioned, maybe one of them remembers seeing her that day or the day before. The timeline is so blurry.
The timeline is blurry isn't it. I wanted to get one going but just couldn't do it. I've wondered about the last person to see Jada aside from EC and TT. We know that it wasn't anyone at the store, they've said that no one saw Jada there. I also wonder about the last time anyone saw TT without those burns.

-Why didn't the mom try to contact her child more frequently while on vacation? I'm 23 and married, and my mom still freaks out if I don't check in with her at least every other day.
When I looked at the pics of Melissa I noticed that she rarely smiles. It is very clear to me that she loves her children, but I wonder if she is struggling with being a 23 year old mother of five children who's father is married to another woman. I don't have children, but I wonder if she needed to go away with her boyfriend to feel appriciated as a woman. I think that it is better for a woman to take care of her emotional etc. needs within reason than to stuff everything inside. Especially considering the stuff we see here.

-Was Engelica only watching Jada? Where were Melissa's other children?
I've been trying to sort through that to. As far as I know it hasn't really been touched on much by reporters. IIRC, not all of her children are with Clarence.

-If Jada was not with Engelica when she went to the gas station, I still want to know why she chose that particular gas station. Obviously, milk and cheap cigs were not on her mind, concocting that ridiculous story was. So why that gas station?
Currently my theory on that one is that EC lives in Hobart, the store is in Gary. I know that they are very close, but sometimes the difference of a couple blocks can make a dramatic difference in the roughness of an area. I think that might of motivated her choice. Maybe she didn't want to go to her regular store so she would not be recognized.

-Why has the 911 call not been released? I would love to hear it. We heard the ones for Haleigh and Caylee, why not Jada?
I hope that that one will be coming down the pike soon!:) Maybe LE doesn't want the public have as much amunition against EC/TT for the same reasons they don't want to come at the couple to hard.

-The cops in NW Indiana and NE Illinois are definetely not known for being gentle. I'm really surprised they haven't scared Engelica and her boyfriend into confessing or at least changing their story.
My opinion on that is they don't want an antagonistic relationship with the two, lawyers involved if they aren't already. If LE can minimize defensiveness they may be maximizing co-operation towards finding Jada. Personally I don't have a problem with that because right now I really want Jada to be found.

I'm so bad with this quoting thing...I need WS lessons lol ...I'm going to put my further comments in red.

-Why didn't the mom try to contact her child more frequently while on vacation? I'm 23 and married, and my mom still freaks out if I don't check in with her at least every other day.
When I looked at the pics of Melissa I noticed that she rarely smiles. It is very clear to me that she loves her children, but I wonder if she is struggling with being a 23 year old mother of five children who's father is married to another woman. I don't have children, but I wonder if she needed to go away with her boyfriend to feel appriciated as a woman. I think that it is better for a woman to take care of her emotional etc. needs within reason than to stuff everything inside. Especially considering the stuff we see here.

Yea, that's true. When I was looking at her status on myspace (if you click on "view more" it will tell you all of the status's she has ever made in the last few months are so, and she stated that she would miss her babies, but she needed her vacation time. How sad that this is probably the only time she got some "me" time for herself, and look what happened. I would be devastated.

-If Jada was not with Engelica when she went to the gas station, I still want to know why she chose that particular gas station. Obviously, milk and cheap cigs were not on her mind, concocting that ridiculous story was. So why that gas station?
Currently my theory on that one is that EC lives in Hobart, the store is in Gary. I know that they are very close, but sometimes the difference of a couple blocks can make a dramatic difference in the roughness of an area. I think that might of motivated her choice. Maybe she didn't want to go to her regular store so she would not be recognized.

I agree. I also think part of the reason was that she thought it would be more believable if Jada was kidnapped from Gary rather than Hobart. My husband and I were actually looking at apartments in Merrilliville, which is actually a really nice area in NW Indiana. But when we realized I would have to take the Metra train from the Gary station every day to get to work, we decided to keep looking. It just goes to show that people have a really negative opinion of Gary, so maybe EC thought that would give her story more credibility.

-The cops in NW Indiana and NE Illinois are definetely not known for being gentle. I'm really surprised they haven't scared Engelica and her boyfriend into confessing or at least changing their story.
My opinion on that is they don't want an antagonistic relationship with the two, lawyers involved if they aren't already. If LE can minimize defensiveness they may be maximizing co-operation towards finding Jada. Personally I don't have a problem with that because right now I really want Jada to be found.

This makes sense as well. I hope this case is resolved soon, I just can't stop thinking about it. I have a few other questions as well:

-Does anyone know if EC or her boyfriend have children? Why would they have a crib in their home? Does EC babysit other children on a regular basis?

-Did EC babysit Jada on a regular basis, or was this her first time? Maybe she even asked Melissa if she could be the one to babysit her while she was away.

--------------
I know you are not replying to me but I was wondering about your discussing this in "Case Briefings". Is this another thread, or site? Just interested.

Lonetraveler, Case Briefings is in the Forensic Astrology Forum. Click on this link Forensic Astrology Forum - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community or on graphic in my sig and then click on CASE BRIEFINGS thread and go to page 7, where the discussions of Jada Justice begin.

Thanks,
Soulscape

This happened in Indiana, and here is the applicable statute:

I can't count the number of times all summer that the news reports a parent has been arrested at a shopping mall or department store for leaving their kid in the car.

That statute applies to a number of things, just to let you know I was specifically addressing the so-called "kids in cars" laws, which Indiana is a state that does not have one. That's why I posted about other states that do.

Adjust as necessary

Jada Justice, 2 years old, Gary IL
*DOB: August 3 , 2006 http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...en_US&orgPrefix=NCMC&caseNum=1125154&seqNum=1

*2'2", 35lbs, black hair, brown hair, light brown complexion

*last seen wearing an orange skirt, white tank top with orange and green stripes, white sandals and pink underwear

*missing since june 16th

*reward up to $10,000

*Gary: where Jada went missing, police also searching in neighborhoods in in Hobart (AC's home) and Portage County (MS's home)

*6.22, to ensure communication among each other all agencies involved including Lake County prosecutor, FBI, and U.S. Attorney's met, little has been said about the meeting beyond it "went well"

*6.23, LE has "sent via computer a nationwide notice of Jada's disappearance to other police agencies"

*LE says no custody dispute, no reason to believe a family member could have taken her

Babysitter/Jada's cousin: Engelica Castillo
*18 YO, DOB 9.6.1990

*lives with boyfriend in the 3925 Missouri Street, Hobart

*reported Jada missing from her car in a Gary Glen Park gas station parking lot when she went in to the store to purchase a gallon of milk, cigarettes and a case of water @ 9.40 pm, 1401 E Ridge Road, Gary Ind, reports that she was in store for less than a minute and a half, did not come home with the case of water

*car was left unlocked

*6.19? arrested as a POI, but authorities have since released her as "preliminarily it did not appear she had anything to do with the toddler’s disappearance, released thursday nite after Lake County prosecutor rejected charging information presented by Gary police (felony charge of neglect of a dependent)

*police in neighboring city of Holbert obtained search warrants on Wednesday, found bloody crib sheets but blood came from a dog in heat and shifted investigation back to Gary, found drugs and FBI led Gang Response Investigative Team were at the home for a time on Wed

*shorty after search began suspicious items were found by someone, police determined that most of the dirt had not been distubed, police took some evidence but did not say what

*may have been driving a 1991 maroon Cadillac Fleetwood or a 1999 Chevy tahoe, customers saw no one in the car when EC was in the store

*refusing to take a polygraph

*LE certain that EC under the influence of drugs the night she reported that Jada was missing, possibly cocaine. LE concerned that arrest would be necessary to get EC's consent for testing which may have resulted in EC not co-operating with search efforts

*on 6.23 several attempts made by media to reach EC were unsuccessful

*Link to post with myspace links of Engelica: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3884633&postcount=173

Tim Tkachick: EC's boyfriend
*23 YO, DOB 7.25.85

*Family of origin "issues": Abusive father (DV, extreme animal cruelty), father committed suicide after killing his wife and wife's sister

*Jada's family concerned because boyfriend is burned on face and arms, has not been able to give an explaination for his burns and/or LE is not releasing this information

*questioned and released early in the investigation

*refused to take a polygraph

Mother: Melissa Swiontek, 27
*left daughter on June 8th to vacation with boyfriend, was to pick up Jada on 20th

*has taken polygraph

Father: Clarence Justice
*lives in Hammond

*said that he does not believe EC, "Why are you going to park on one side of the building while it’s raining outside pouring rain if you got to go in the store and get some milk,” he said. “Why wouldn’t you park in the front and run in and grab the milk? Why would you leave the doors unlocked so somebody could grab a child out of the car?”

*has taken polygraph

Step-mother: Elizabeth Justice
*said the girl spent "every other weekend" at the couple's Hammond home (this was reported in the Post Tribune, I think that it needs to be verifiied?)

Mike Valdez: Uncle
Asks:
*why didn't AC leave Jada with her boyfriend?
*why didn't she go to convenience stores closer to her home?
*why weren't police dogs able to pick up Jada's scent at the scene?

*said Jada was w/ EC because MS was planning to go out of town with the boyfriend and was staying with friends

Alyssa Huerta: Jada's aunt
Reports:
*EC has past history with gangs and drugs, currently is not involved
*EC did return with milk and cigarettes that she reported to purchase at store, did not return with case of water

EDIT: Astros have DOBs, I'll go upstairs to get them... thanks Neptunian!
EDIT: Polygraph information, convenience store items information... thanks Pegatha!
EDIT: EC and TT DOB, TT family of origin issues... thanks Astros

I added a few details.

Nancy Grace is talking about Jada again tonight ~ her program is on now. :) She'll be getting back to this case after talking about another one first.

Nancy's back to talking about Jada, with her mother. Reports from LE that the babysitter appeared to be "high" that night when she was interviewed, however LE didn't do any drug tests. According to Jada's mother, the cousin/babysitter doesn't have any history of drugs/alcohol. She talked to her one time since Jada went missing, on the phone, through an attorney's office. Mother was told the same story that LE has been that "she doesn't know why she left the car unlocked, etc". The local reporter is going over what the cousin/babysitter said about that night that she'd left Jada in the car seat when she went into the store for a couple of minutes, and when she came out the back door of the car was open and Jada was missing.

Mike Brooks is on now saying LE has new leads today near the cousin/babysitter's home. He's stressing the importance of possible witnesses calling the FBI.

It's a very bad thing when LE comes out and publicly states a POI was high during questioning or even appeared to be high.

We have to ask ourselves...now why would they share that with the media?

How old is this babysitter/cousin and does she have any other children??

I am not sure if this link has been posted before. Jada's aunt is writing about her in her journal.

http://akikomiyahara.deviantart.com/journal/25378434/

Regards,

Montana

I have not made it through this entire thread, but did you notice on the link above Jada's aunt wrote:
UPDATE2
The story: My niece was being watched by my cousin. My cousin went to the gas station to pick up milk and cigarettes; they checked for both and she had neither.
Bold added by me. Is this something anyone has seen in any reports, or is this just an unreliable source.

Brwnigirl:

She is 18. I've also been wondering if she has any children of her own. Probably not - otherwise I would think we would hear something in the news about them taking her children into custody or something.

Sort of OT, but that Ellen from Ky lady that called into Nancy grace really irked me. So what if Melissa was wearing makeup? That's totally irrelevant to Jada being found. To me, Melissa looks numb, sad, and in shock. She definitely doesn't seem happy or nonchalant to me. And she has been searching, passing out fliers, and making media appearances trying to find her little girl. She has voluntarily taken a polygraph and is fully cooperating with police. Why attack this poor mother? Ugh sorry, but she really made me mad.

Hi all, I'm a longtime lurker, but this case hits so close to home. I live in Illinois, 20 minutes away from where Jada vanished. Everyday I keep my eyes peeled for her.

I have a few comments, one is that earlier, someone posted a link to Jada's aunt's journal. I read the journal and every single comment that people left, and in response to one, Jada's aunt states that after talking to Engelica after she was released from jail, "her story made more sense" and that Engelica loved Jada and wouldn't want to hurt her. I will have to go back and look for the exact quote, but I just wanted to throw that out there for now. I wonder what Engelica could have said (or made up). The aunt also said she was not going to speculate or keep talking about Engelica, that she only wanted to bring Jada home.

Also, I really want to know why she drove to Gary for a gallon of milk. I believe she lived in Hobart, which isn't that bad of an area compared to Gary. Why she would drive to GARY for just some milk, and leave a 2 year old in an unlocked car is beyond me. I fully believe that Jada was NOT in the car with her at that time, so maybe she drove to Gary because she figured people would believe that someone would kidnap a baby in such a crime ridden area. I also agree with the previous poster, if someone really did kidnap Jada, why would they not just take the car? That would have made Engelica's story much more believable.

Yes. I agree. I hope I will never come to believe that there is evil lurking at every gas station at every hour of the day in every part of this country, even in the worst of neighborhoods. I just can't bring myself to believe that at 9:30 pm a child stealer was lurking, waiting for someone to leave a small child in an unlocked car. Sure there may be other criminal types around, but I can't imagine that the type of criminal to steal a child would find a late night convenience store in a bad neighborhood fertile hunting ground. Perhaps, I am missing something. I park right in front of a store if I leave my dog in the car. (I have never left a child in a car). If she had parked in front, the camera would have caught the "culprit," but she did not park in front of the store. Of course, we do have to rely on less than reliable media sources to hear the cousin's story, but what else could she have said to make it seem like it made more sense?

Hi all, newbie here who has just been lurking, hitting refresh a couple times a day. I've been interested in this case since day one, as I went to school with Clarence, it's hit a little closer to home. I used to know Engelica's mother, which is how I knew OF Engelica when she was little. Something that hasn't been mentioned, but is worth mentioning, is the shaky childhood that Engelica had. She was in fact involved in her own missing child case some years back, a couple times even. I realize this has no particular relevence to THIS case, but it's worth noting.

Engelica ran away at 11.

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2002/06/10/export24689.txt

She ran away at 13.

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2004/04/07/news/lake_county/abb0810138770f6e86256e6e007b17ba.txt

Found in Florida, 7 days later with a 21 year old man.

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2004/04/14/news/lake_county/609403f69b471c4286256e760008a875.txt

Police seeking charges against that man.

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2004/04/16/news/lake_county/986f02a9656555d686256e7800090a40.txt

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xhononibb
Back