GUILTY IN - Kimberly Dyer, 31, burned, tortured, mutilated, murdered, Elkhart, 22 Oct 2019 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not sure what to make of Bingaman. I'm tempted to think someone set him up but I'm not sure who that would be or the motive behind it. He and another witness who was not at the house during that time both came up with a cut-off fingers story. One saying O told him he did it and the other saying Mario told her he did it.

I've entertained the idea that someone not involved fed him the story. Maybe it was someone he ratted on in the past; someone who gave him a story fake enough that the jury wouldn't believe it but would expose him as a snitch.

Thursday, June 10th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 8:30am CT) – IN – Kimberly Dyer (31) (occurred from Oct. 21 to Oct. 22, 2019, Elkhart, found stuffed in a trash bin & dumped & covered in a marshy area near Constantine, Michigan) & Robert Curtis Porter (32/now 33) serious injuries during robbery (Oct. 21-22, 2019) - *Mario M. Angulo, Jr. (19/now 20) arrested & charged (12/19/19) with murder, robbery resulting in serious bodily injury, 2 counts of criminal confinement & life without parole enhancement. Held without bond. DA will seek life without parole.
for *Donald R. Owen, Jr. (20/now 22) arrested & charged (12/19/19) with murder, robbery resulting in serious bodily injury, 2 counts of criminal confinement & life without parole enhancement. Held without bond. DA will seek life without parole.
Trial began on 4/19/21 with jury selection. Jury deliberated ~2 ½ hours reached a guilty of all counts for both. Phase II-LWOP began on 5/17/21.
Kimberly info & court info from 12/19/19 thru 5/13/21 (Trial 4/19 thru 4/29/21) & Phase II 5/17/21 (Day 1) reference post #333 here:
GUILTY - IN - Kimberly Dyer, 31, burned, tortured, mutilated, murdered, Elkhart, 22 Oct 2019 *Arrests*

See post #345 for Phase II sentencing hearings here:
GUILTY - IN - Kimberly Dyer, 31, burned, tortured, mutilated, murdered, Elkhart, 22 Oct 2019 *Arrests*
Circuit Court Judge Michael Christofeno set Owen’s sentencing for June 10 & Angulo’s for June 24.

*Matthew A.P. Murzynski (24/now 25) – Plead guilty to counts of aiding, inducing or causing a robbery that resulted in serious bodily injury; and aiding, inducing or causing criminal confinement; along with a criminal gang sentencing enhancement, in an agreement that sets a total sentence of 60 years. Murzynski was not required to testify at the trial as part of his plea bargain. Sentencing hearing on 6/3/21. 6/3/21 Update: Sentencing to 60 years in prison.

Kim's mom and her aunt spoke today, in O's behalf. They both said they believed he did not kill her, torture her or confine her. They asked the judge to sentence years but not LWOP.

O spoke to them, telling them he never touched her, he was sorry, sorry... sorry for their loss, sorry he didn't stop it, sorry she died... He was in tears, they were sobbing, his attorney was trying hard to keep it together. He said he beat Porter for raping Kim and if they wanted to call that "King Duke justice", he had no problem with that. He said he didn't regret beating him for raping her and he'd do it again.

In the end, none of it mattered. Due to his lengthy juvenile record, the many chances he was given to rehab and the stuff that went on at the OO house, the judge went along with the State and the jury.

O apologized one more time to Kim' relatives, thanked them, apologized to the judge for leaving the courtroom during the trial, thanked his 2 attorneys for all they did and it was done.

Tomorrow is Porter's next PTC and he's still missing. I don't understand the bond compliance comment. There is no record in this case of him bonding out. They released him on his own recognizance.

06/07/2021 = First Class Mail Returned
USPS returned showing service not perfected on Defendant.

06/11/2021 = First Class Mail Returned
USPS returned showing service not perfected on Defendant. Marked not deliverable as addressed.

06/14/2021 = Pretrial Conference
Comment: Bond Compliance

07/20/2021 = Jury Trial

06/14/2021 = Pretrial Conference
Comment: Bond Compliance
Result: Commenced and concluded

06/14/2021 = Failure to Appear
Judicial Officer: Walz, William R, IV

06/14/2021 = Hearing Scheduling Activity
Jury Trial scheduled for 07/20/2021 at 8:30 AM was cancelled. Reason: Hearing Date to Be Determined.

07/20/2021 = CANCELED Jury Trial
Reason: Hearing Date to Be Determined
Session: 07/20/2021 8:30 AM, Cancelled

Indiana wants you, Mr. Porter :)

06/17/2021 = Order Issuing Warrant for Arrest
Order Signed: 06/14/2021

07/20/2021 = CANCELED Jury Trial
Reason: Hearing Date to Be Determined
Session: 07/20/2021 8:30 AM, Cancelled

Owen has some interesting filings. SRL= Self-represented Litigant?

06/10/2021 = Document Filed
Chronological Case Summary filed.
Filed By: State of Indiana
06/10/2021 = Document Filed
Resident Message filed.
File Stamp:

06/10/2021 = Notice of Exclusion of Confidential Information
AR5 OWEN.pdf
File Stamp:

06/18/2021 = Correspondence to/from Court Filed
Defendant, as SRL, files correspondence hpd
Filed By: Owen, Donald R JR

Murz current location and bringing his order of confinement forward:

DOC Number 284464
First Name MATTHEW
Middle Name A
Last Name MURZYNSKI
Date of Birth 10/16/1995
Gender Male
Race White
Facility/Location Central Office Admin Inbound
Earliest Possible Release Date 12/17/2064

06/09/2021 = Order of Confinement (Sentenced)
Pursuant to Defendant's plea agreement, Order of Commitment entered: Count I, Aiding, Inducing, or Causing Robbery Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury, a Level 2 Felony: 25 yrs DOC; $10,000.00 fine, suspended, costs; Deft ordered to reimburse the Elkhart County PD Fund the sum of $100.00; Deft ordered to have an addictions evaluation and follow-up treatment; Page 2 Criminal Gang Sentence Enhancement: 25 yrs DOC, said enhancement is attached to the sentence imposed under Count I for a total sentence of 50 yrs at the DOC; Count II, Aiding, Inducing, or Causing Criminal Confinement, a Level 3 Felony: 10 yrs DOC, sentence imposed under Count II to be served consecutive to Count I and the Criminal Gang Enhancement for a total sentence of 60 yrs at the DOC; $10,000.00 fine, suspended; 532 days; credit plus earned credit time pursuant to statute. Count III ordered dismissed. Appointment of the PD is withdrawn; Bond, if any, released. cj DISPOSED
Judicial Officer: Christofeno, Michael A
Order Signed: 06/03/2021

I wonder if they will garnish his wages (if he ever has any)

MURZYNSKI, MATTHEW A.P.
Defendant: Balance Due (as of 06/21/2021) = 285.00
Court Costs and Filing Fees 285.00 0.00 0.00

Tomorrow is Angulo's big day. I'm sure he knows how sentencing went for Murz and Owen.

Judge to Murzynski:
“From what I heard, you started this, you participated in this, you continued in this torture and killing and you did nothing to stop it,” Christofeno told him. “It’s fortunate for you, Mr. Murzynski, that I have already accepted your plea, and let’s leave it at that.”
Man involved in murder victim's abuse gets 60 years

Judge to Owen:
Christofeno sided with Doyle on culpability, saying with accomplices in a crime, "the act of one is the act of all."
Man ordered to life in prison for role in woman's torture and murder

It seems to me the judge put himself in a bit of a corner. He let the one who started the whole issue plea bargain his way out of a stiffer sentence and then sentenced the one with the least amount of culpability (according to his attorneys and IMO) to the harshest sentence. Where will Angulo fall since he was not sentenced to LWOP even though the witness testified that he confessed to him?

Christofeno ordered that Murzynski be incarcerated in a different prison from Owen or Angulo, for his own safety.
= From the Elkhart Truth link.
I found that to be really strange, especially since he never publicly said anything incriminating against Owen or Angulo. I also found it equally strange that none of the witnesses were fearful of testifying against the two who were accused of murder. There was only one who was too afraid to testify and it was not against O and M.

Thursday, June 24th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 8:30am CT) – IN – Kimberly Dyer (31) (occurred from Oct. 21 to Oct. 22, 2019, Elkhart, found stuffed in a trash bin & dumped & covered in a marshy area near Constantine, Michigan) & Robert Curtis Porter (32/now 33) serious injuries during robbery (Oct. 21-22, 2019) - for *Mario M. Angulo, Jr. (19/now 20) arrested & charged (12/19/19) with murder, robbery resulting in serious bodily injury, 2 counts of criminal confinement & life without parole enhancement. Held without bond. DA will seek life without parole.
Trial began on 4/19/21 with jury selection. Jury deliberated ~ 2 ½ hours reached a guilty of all counts for both. Phase II-LWOP began on 5/17/21. Jury recommended terms of years in prison.
Kimberly info & court info from 12/19/19 thru 4/28/21 (Trial 4/19 thru 4/28/21) & thru 5/12/21 reference post #324 here:

See post #346 for Phase IV sentencing hearings here:
Circuit Court Judge Michael Christofeno set Owen’s sentencing for June 10 & Angulo’s for June 24.

*Donald R. Owen, Jr. (20/now 22) – Trial (4/29/21): found guilty of all counts (murder, robbery resulting in serious bodily injury, 2 counts of criminal confinement & life without parole enhancement). Jury recommended life in prison without parole on 5/17/21. Sentenced on 6/10/21 to life without parole + 62 years.
*Matthew A.P. Murzynski (24/now 25) – Plead guilty on 3/25/21 to counts of aiding, inducing or causing a robbery that resulted in serious bodily injury; and aiding, inducing or causing criminal confinement; along with a criminal gang sentencing enhancement, in an agreement that sets a total sentence of 60 years. Murzynski was not required to testify at the trial as part of his plea bargain. Sentenced on 6/3/21 to 60 years in prison.

Angulo gets 127-year sentence for murder
By JORDAN FOUTS jfouts@elkharttruth.com 1 hr ago
Angulo gets 127-year sentence for murder
[snips]
GOSHEN — Mario Angulo told Kim Dyer's family he hopes they find closure in his conviction and 127-year sentence, but he insisted the wrong people were found guilty of her murder.
Angulo's attorney, Thomas Dixon, offered condolences to Dyer's family and thanked them for their prayers and forgiveness. He said Angulo was not without remorse and isn't the person prosecutors made him out to be.
He pointed to other possible suspects who were not charged with murder and asked the judge to consider Angulo's redeemability and his character. Dixon asked that Angulo not get a harsher sentence than what Murzynski received in his plea bargain agreement.

The family spoke and it was heartbreaking; especially hearing from Kim's two daughters.

Kim's aunt Syndi is deeply religious and she brings a message of forgiveness, which reduced both Owen and Angulo to tears (along with most of the rest of us).

Most of the family wanted the judge to give Angulo LWOP but the judge said he had to follow the jury's recommendation. However, with the four charges plus enhancement, plus served consecutively, he came very close to what the family asked for. Maybe that will help them heal, at least a tiny bit.

Porter's in custody in LaGrange County jail:

06/23/2021 = Warrant or Writ of Attmnt for the Body of a Person Served
06/23/2021 = Order to Appear

07/19/2021 = Pretrial Conference
Session: 07/19/2021 1:30 PM, Judicial Officer: Walz, William R, IV
09/13/2021 = Pretrial Conference
Session: 09/13/2021 1:30 PM, Judicial Officer: Walz, William R, IV
Comment: FINAL
12/16/2021 = Jury Trial
Session: 12/16/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Walz, William R, IV

Porter's in custody in LaGrange County jail:

06/23/2021 = Warrant or Writ of Attmnt for the Body of a Person Served
06/23/2021 = Order to Appear

07/19/2021 = Pretrial Conference
Session: 07/19/2021 1:30 PM, Judicial Officer: Walz, William R, IV
09/13/2021 = Pretrial Conference
Session: 09/13/2021 1:30 PM, Judicial Officer: Walz, William R, IV
Comment: FINAL
12/16/2021 = Jury Trial
Session: 12/16/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Walz, William R, IV

Do you want me to keep track of this?

Do you want me to keep track of this?
No, you can be finished if you want. I'll probably watch these other guys for a while. All of the people in that house shared in this crime in one way or another. Unfortunately only 3 were punished; I at least want to see Lopez and Porter sentenced for the crimes they have been charged with in other cases.

No, you can be finished if you want. I'll probably watch these other guys for a while. All of the people in that house shared in this crime in one way or another. Unfortunately only 3 were punished; I at least want to see Lopez and Porter sentenced for the crimes they have been charged with in other cases.

You can always start a new thread for these people that you want to follow.... just post the link if you do. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unconscous
Back