IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree but I will further add that for some of the individuals in both tiers, the drug use is probably more than recreational meaning bordering on addictive use.

“If you’re not comfortable with the Police Department, send it in the mail.” The address is Find Lauren, P.O. Box 1226, Bloomington, IN 47402-1226."

Quoting Mrs. S

FWIW, regarding the speculation about reporting her missing so early--if LS truly did take her medication daily, and it was the kind she had to take at the same time every day, her not being home in time to take it, or several hours afterwards, could be cause for concern for someone who knew her well.

I'm inclined to believe the condition was not as serious as they made it out to be (that it was more a tactic to encourage people to come forward) but I also know that I had a friend in college who had to take some type of medication at the same time every day, and I would have been far more concerned about her if she had missed that window than I would another friend not accounted for for 12 hours.

No. From Day 1 her condition was made public. The urgency was real, not a ploy.

I totally agree but I will further add that for some of the individuals in both tiers, the drug use is probably more than recreational meaning bordering on addictive use.

And since none of us really knows for sure all the drugs involved, you can get into an area where it's a felony to provide those drugs. What are they called, schedule I controlled substances, can send you to prison for a LONG time. I know this keeps coming up, but unless LE absolves all the participants of the fear of prosecution for all the related drug and alcohol charges that kind of swirl around this case, I don't think they're going to get all the information they need.

Different angle:

IU is certainly NOT PLEASED with this case. A student is missing and likely dead, which is bad enough. On top of that, their party/drinking/drug problem has been nationally exposed. On top of that, their highly lucrative flow of out-of-state-students has been shown in an embarrassing light. No, IU is certainly not pleased.

At what point does the school take action? Here we have, at minimum, a group of IU students involved in a cover-up. Heavy drug use as well as drug dealing are all but proven. Guilty of LS's disappearance or not, the PsOI have brought considerable shame and damage upon their school. When will IU expel these students? It seems to me they should do it on principal alone.

I honestly think that they have no grounds on which to expel these kids. We can all speculate that there is a reason they aren't coming forward. However, what if they truly have nothing more to say? Let's say that CR's attorney has told him that under no circumstances should he contact police. I'd likely guess that's what he's been told (along with everyone else). The Atty. is not going to want him to come forward with what drugs were taken, etc. and if his story is true, he may not remember anyway. So, let's say he remembers nothing, and that he truly went home to sleep, and knows NOTHING about the disappearance. There's no "proof" that he even took drugs and since I believe he is over 21, he could have legally been at the bar. I'm NOT saying this is OK. I wish to God they could hang these boys by their testicles from a light pole until they talk, but legally, I just don't see how they could expel a kid. It's not a crime for them to NOT come forward (or they'd already be arrested). Therefore, in the eyes of the law, until there's evidence to prove otherwise, I don't believe they would have legal grounds to expel a student. I can tell you that IF they do, and it turns out that the kid really had no knowledge nor involvement, that will be a huge legal battle and I don't think IU would want to be involved in that either.....

Inviting outside contact or alluding to "private" additional information:

“Inviting” is termed as a post where you invite other members to contact you to find out more information, rather than post it in the forum. This is not allowed and any posts with emails or invitations to contact for more information will either be edited or deleted entirely. This includes use of the Private Message system via comments such as “Check your PMs” or “PM me” posted in discussion threads. Think about it - it's like whispering into someone's ear while you are at a table full of other people. If you want to have a private conversation just have it, don't announce it. Additionally,please don't drop hints or post on the board that you know something or are privy to inside information but you won't or can't post it.
If you can't post it, don't.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65798"]Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

It's been almost a decade since the college days, but some things that I thought about with this case...

Any idea what Lauren's major was? I was in a male-dominated major in college. I was the only female in my freshmen orientation group. I was one of very few females in all of my core classes. I spent so much time with these guys studying, drinking, BBQing, etc. They'd take care of me when I was drinking, sometimes being a little too protective. Sometimes I would feel the need to not be upfront and honest with them if I had met someone new that I was interested in (any time that I did date someone new, he'd usually get surrounded by a couple of my buddies from my first week of classes and get the "if you hurt her, we'll kick your *advertiser censored*" speech). Steady boyfriend or not (even now, that I'm practically married), I have been known to be the only female in the crowd. Sometimes, my SO doesn't feel like going out when my old gang is in town, but tells me to go on without him.

This could help tie some things together
Why she was with all males (even though she'd just met a couple that week).
Why JW stayed in to watch basketball while she went out.
Why the confrontation in the ally (she could have met JW's fraternity brothers that first week, became so close to them, and through them met JW).
The possiblility that she didn't want the guys to know where she was going next. It's entirely possible that CR saw her leave at 4:30, but as soon as she was out of his sight or as soon as he stopped watching her, she headed in a different direction.

Also, from my experience with "summer school", things get a little crazier than normal. Lots more drinking & partying (not sure if it's the weather or the smaller load of classes, even though they're crammed into a shorter time period), and you might be hanging out with a crowd that isn't your normal one, since there are so many people who leave town.

That said, I have a problem with the 3pm missing phone call--unless something was seen or heard while JW was looking for her. I tried not to schedule any of my classes or work before noon, because I am a night owl and knew that I wouldn't make it to an 8am ;)

Could someone at least put some gloves on and mail an anonymous note from a distant city and mail in a note where L can be found?? Something? A clue for these poor suffering people?

Captain even said at the presser when he was asked how the PO Box was working out--that they had received some correspondence and that, evidently (even that---PO Box option) has not brought out the best in people. When questioned further as to what he meant by that, he said something to the effect that he would be diplomatic, and would describe some of what had been received as "interesting." IOW, nothing of value yet. And beyond that, IMO, probably down right nasty.

Captain even said at the presser when he was asked how the PO Box was working out--that they had received some correspondence and that, evidently (even that---PO Box option) has not brought out the best in people. When questioned further as to what he meant by that, he said something to the effect that he would be diplomatic, and would describe some of what had been received as "interesting." IOW, nothing of value yet. And beyond that, IMO, probably down right nasty.

I can believe that. It's like those forums associated with news articles. You get some helpful stuff, some empathy, and some really scary people without hearts.

I doubt that whoever was with LS that night was as incapacitated as her. And not all drug use leaves the individual incapable of swift action. The adrenaline rush of discovering a dead body could be enough for the brain to switch into a totally different gear, capable of thought and action such as calling or going for help or handling it oneself.

So unless a) you know what drugs were used that night and b) you've done these drugs yourself, it's silly to think just because "they" were doing drugs they couldn't have removed and hid a body.

As Cluciano pointed out, what are they going to do: put on a pair of gloves and I'll add---drive to a different location from where they are spending the summer, and mail it to the PO Box?

IMO, LS's peers do not believe that their anonymity will remain unknown from or unidentifiable by LE (and I agree that likely it would not).

Mrs. Spierer probably received mail that stems from hate regarding religion, socio-economic status, how her daughter is costing taxpayer money, go back to New York, blah, blah, blah. A lot of locals make such comments on the newspaper board.

Such comments may have played into the decision to stop having pressers.

The bottom line is, no one who knows where Lauren is NOW is going to talk or contact anyone...at best, someone with some bits and pieces of info about the evening might come forward...but finding Lauren? We are at the stage where it will come down to pure luck, it seems...

Mrs. Spierer probably received mail that stems from hate regarding religion, socio-economic status, how her daughter is costing taxpayer money, go back to New York, blah, blah, blah. A lot of locals make such comments on the newspaper board.

Such comments may have played into the decision to stop having pressers.

And likely the reason that the Captain noticeably joined Mom this morning in offering up adjectives to describe this group's refusal to provide info. Captain, not Mom, took that role this morning. Prior to today, it's been Mom.

Personally, I say good for him.

It appears that one more of the known PsOI has hired an attorney. We knew DR had an attorney, but that attorney (Chapman) stated that he was representing him (DR) in a prior matter. As far as what had been known prior to this article, DR had not hired an attorney concerning the matter of L's disappearance.

http://www.lohud.com/article/201106...ers-experts-say?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|News

Must say, though I have been focusing primarily on JR with the assistance of perhaps one other, I am once again open to all of the others as having levels of involvement after today's presser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member