IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, we do know he said that, as LE said he did (without naming him). Perhaps that got modified somehow in a later statement (especially if he had been out of it at the time), but that seems unlikely to me, and I don't even know for sure that he's given more than one statement.

I don't recall LE being that specific but there's been so much signal to noise around the case and so little clarity from LE it's hard to keep track of who says what. Even if LE did say it, was it a scenario where we can trust that LE was being 100% accurate or was it a statement where LE might not have been exact in their repeating of JR's words? It's not a stretch to think "I saw her walking to the corner" would get turned into "He said he saw walking around the corner".

Hearsay is still hearsay regardless of where it comes from.... unless LE was reading from JR's statement.

I'm not trying to discount whether he said it or not as much as to call into question how much we should really be making out it.

respectfully snipped for focus
I've been following that story since it broke. My first thought was Lauren, but that seems doubtful now. The building was recently demolished after sitting abandoned for ten years or so which leaves many possibilities. Police Chief Brian Miller stated the remains have been there for "years".
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/photos...-search-for-clues-about-hammond-skeleton.html

Imkeylime, I think you're referring to a different case. No ID has been made on the skeleton found in Hammond, IN (Whiting, actually) last week.

Thank you! What I found was a similar discovery in Hammond that seemingly fit, but I didn't read closely enough. It's sad and crazy that the remains in this one might have been there for "years." But it does make me wonder about the possibility of the construction site(s) ...

I do believe it's illegal to have it on your person... so that would, I imagine, also make it illegal to ingest it.

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/teenfaq/a/illegal_pills.htm

Procession is different. To my knowledge, there's no law re. ingestion. Most states do define procession, but it's VERY difficult to prove. In many states, t's illegal to have it on your person IF you have the intent to sell/deliver. Without further evidence, or testimony, it would be very difficult to prove a person's intention.

Regarding possession of a controlled substance, it's often illegal only if:
they knowingly and deliberately/intentionally possessed a controlled substance (without a valid prescription)
they knew the drug was an illegal controlled substance
they had actually control or possession of the drug

Most often, it's proven that it was not illegal. First, most kids can cough up a prescription. Secondly, most do not know they aren't supposed to be in procession, and it's difficult to prove that the kids knew it was a controlled substance. Lack of knowledge = legal; very difficult to prove one's knowledge. Lastly, the kids say they belong to someone else, almost always (no control). If just possessing another person's controlled substance was illegal, then schools would be unable to do this. There are criteria and most always, the kids establish the criteria needed to "prove" there has been no crime.

Many kids nowadays are buying Adderall and Xanex from their peers who really do have a legitimate Rx and are choosing to use it to make $, rather than to help their own medical need. Those kids generally say it was their friend's medication, who can very quickly produce a Rx.

It's not a crime to admit that you've taken drugs before. The crime would be if they admitted to selling/delivering them to LS.

Thank you! What I found was a similar discovery in Hammond that seemingly fit, but I didn't read closely enough. It's sad and crazy that the remains in this one might have been there for "years." But it does make me wonder about the possibility of the construction site(s) ...
Construction sites and abandoned buildings. In the latest Hammond case, the skeleton was wrapped in plastic sheeting and seems to have been buried in the building's crawl space which was accessible from the outside.

So sad that nothing has moved on this case I think that they need to bring back the opportunity that a white truck would be sitting in her path of walk for some strange reason and they never saw anything? IMO bring back the white truck theory. I think they were dismissed in haste and there was no deep looking into whether there was any connection. I'll stand on the white truck theory until the check out where that truck went and start digging. A cadaver dog would be a start as well.

This crime may have been opportunistic and the boys gummed up over the drugs but they truly don't know where she is.

My eyeballs are still on DB don't think for a second hes off the radar too.

I don't recall LE being that specific but there's been so much signal to noise around the case and so little clarity from LE it's hard to keep track of who says what. Even if LE did say it, was it a scenario where we can trust that LE was being 100% accurate or was it a statement where LE might not have been exact in their repeating of JR's words? It's not a stretch to think "I saw her walking to the corner" would get turned into "He said he saw walking around the corner".

I'm referring to LE's official timeline, which includes JR's statement that he saw her round the corner at 4:30 - http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-06-16-missing-indiana-student-spierer_n.htm

So sad that nothing has moved on this case I think that they need to bring back the opportunity that a white truck would be sitting in her path of walk for some strange reason and they never saw anything? IMO bring back the white truck theory. I think they were dismissed in haste and there was no deep looking into whether there was any connection. I'll stand on the white truck theory until the check out where that truck went and start digging. A cadaver dog would be a start as well.

This crime may have been opportunistic and the boys gummed up over the drugs but they truly don't know where she is.

My eyeballs are still on DB don't think for a second hes off the radar too.

I agree that LE shouldn't totally forget about the white truck. It may have been cleared, but I've seen stranger things happen. I'm still in shock that a suspect in the other case I follow was cleared years and years ago and is now the primary suspect. Some believe that money bought silence in that case. I don't know what to think in this one, but perhaps if the truck is tied to a construction business a link exists that hasn't been uncovered.

It is heartbreaking that there are no new apparent leads.

I can't get that link to open. What else does it say? Where is that location in comparison to 5 North?

I can't get that link to open. What else does it say? Where is that location in comparison to 5 North?

BLOOMINGTON -- Bloomington police have closed off Valley View Drive between Wylie Drive and Walmart after a body was discovered in a field shortly before 1 p.m. Monday.
Department spokesman David White said the identity of the body was not available and the sex could not be determined due to considerable decomposition, indicating the body had probably been in the field for some time.
A group of investigators were inspecting a farm field on the north side of Valley View Drive when they found the body a few yards into the field.
Several police fanned out in a line, walking 100 yards to the east. Police carried small yellow flags to mark the location of potential evidence.
This story will be updated.

Read more: http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/article_2eb2998a-f37a-11e0-a751-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1aQOSILjI

Sorry if I'm so late you've seen this by now.

BLOOMINGTON -- Bloomington police have closed off Valley View Drive between Wylie Drive and Walmart after a body was discovered in a field shortly before 1 p.m. Monday.

Department spokesman David White said the identity of the body was not available and the sex could not be determined due to considerable decomposition, indicating the body had probably been in the field for some time.

A group of investigators were inspecting a farm field on the north side of Valley View Drive when they found the body a few yards into the field.

Several police fanned out in a line, walking 100 yards to the east. Police carried small yellow flags to mark the location of potential evidence.

This story will be updated.

Read more: http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/article_2eb2998a-f37a-11e0-a751-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1aQPCWu62

I used Google Maps and it says 2.4 miles between the two locations. However, I'm not positive if that is the exact location, I simply typed in Valley View Drive and 5 North.

Oh my, she could NOT have been that close all this time, could she have?

In fact, how could anyone have been there long enough to decompose so badly, if the entire city was searched?

Oh my, she could NOT have been that close all this time, could she have?

In fact, how could anyone have been there long enough to decompose so badly, if the entire city was searched?

I could have written both your questions myself. Ah, me...given how I feel right now, I cannot imagine how her loved ones are feeling.

ah can someone keep us out of towners up to date? please oh please let her be found

I could have written both your questions myself. Ah, me...given how I feel right now, I cannot imagine how her loved ones are feeling.

Seems like this is Bloomington, IL, almost 4 hours away, I guess?

Seems like this is Bloomington, IL, almost 4 hours away, I guess?
Oh, for heavens sake. I fixated on Bloomington and saw nothing else. Took me five times to get what you were saying. Thank you.

One sad thing about this case (among many) is that even with such strong, vocal parents, nothing is happening...they have the interest, the attention of the media, the sympathy, etc...and yet, not a bit of movement in the case in many months...when it has often been thought/hoped/assumed that with such an active family, results might be more likely to come.

4kk64j.jpg

I was in the 5 North hood yesterday. I took this photo to answer the question that a few people have asked, "Is there really a billboard of Lauren across from JR's?" Yes, there is. This is not a billboard as in the kind you see on the highway, but this is probably the second biggest version that is out there, in front of City Hall, at major intersections in town, etc. (It is the white, horizontal sign behind the Stop sign. The sunlight was intense yesterday so it washed out the sign. The color is probably fading too.)

Of course, since CR lives a few doors down, he too sees the sign every time he runs to his apartment after parking in the rear which is exactly what he did yesterday when I was there. I got out of my car right after taking this pic, to take more, and he turned the corner facing me in his vehicle. The expression on his face was much like his mug shot: a bit crazed, I'm sorry to say. :furious:

I'm not sure if those eyeball fixtures on the corner of the brick wall are new or not and whether they are lights or video cam. Not that it matters much at this point. :(

Oh, and CR has cut his hair and it appears much darker than how it looks in the video we've seen of him leaving the police station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member