IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I interpret this to mean that the You in the story hid LS in a well thought out place; not in some way that her remains would be found later to provide closure for her family.

that was my interpretation, too, holly

I grossly over estimated the Spierer's resources (manpower) at the onset. I read in the first week that they had hired a private PI. I thought then and still do, that there are findable clues that would indicate whether some combination of CR, MB, JR, DR, DB, ZO, AB, JW were involved.
If they still do not know this much, I think they should have invested a little more on the PI side and a little less on the PR side.

I am overthinking it now because I guess that happens in cases where there is no new news for awhile, but it seems strange that she is assuming the person KNEW Lauren would not be found. I have always operated under the assumption that Lauren was pretty close-either in the immediate surrounding area or the dump. If that were the case though wouldn't the perp be afraid of being caught the entire time during extensive searches instead of knowing she would not be found?

Of course, I realize when we read these that CS's mind is probably racing and every day she may have a slightly different feeling, scenario, or even perp in mind. Poor woman :(

Of course, I realize when we read these that CS's mind is probably racing and every day she may have a slightly different feeling, scenario, or even perp in mind. Poor woman

Yes, and Darcyline, this ties in with my remark about manpower resources. I would think that CS would have access to someone who would help her craft letters so that her words maximized the likelyhood that this "YOU" person would give a clue to LS whereabouts. Her posts are more like free form musings.

I heard about this case back in June, and I vaguely followed it (I followed the NewsonLaurenS Twitter), but I'd never been to this board. I admire all of your sleuthing skills and I admire your persistence and dedication to help solve cases and find the missing.

Apparently I hadn't followed the case closely enough, as I didn't really know much about LS's group of friends and I didn't know that anyone LS knew could potentially be suspicious.

CS's letter truly is heartbreaking. I am angry on her behalf, and on behalf of other families of the missing who have to endure such nasty comments while at the same time continuing to live in the nightmare of having a missing loved one. I remember I was on a message board where a Kansas City resident was complaining about all the news coverage on the Baby Lisa case, and my mind is s boggled that anyone could possibly be offended by a family's efforts to find their loved one. I will never understand people's cruel insensitive behavior sometimes.

As for the "You" CS is referring to: is there a particular reason this is being analyzed? I am under the impression that this is just a mother who is blogging and letting her feelings out, a stream of consciousness type thing.

I would think that CS would have access to someone who would help her craft letters so that her words maximized the likelyhood that this "YOU" person would give a clue to LS whereabouts. Her posts are more like free form musings.

While it would be nice if she had access to someone who could help her write in a way that cause someone to give a clue of LS's whereabouts, I don't fault her for not doing so, and if blogging is her way of releasing grief / stress / etc, I fully support that. I'm not by any means saying that anyone is faulting CS for the way she wrote the letter; I'm just saying that at the time she wrote it, who knows where her mind was or what she was feeling? I feel horrible for her.

This case is baffling. It pains me that CS and the family (and the families of all missing people) have to live such a nightmare every day. If someone is responsible for whatever may have happened to LS, they are indeed cowardly.

If I were CS and I received that letter, I would stand on every roof top in Bton and drop hundreds of missing flyers as a "take that - we're not leaving until we find her." But that's just me. CS is more calm and collected than I would ever be.

While it would be nice if she had access to someone who could help her write in a way that cause someone to give a clue of LS's whereabouts, I don't fault her for not doing so, and if blogging is her way of releasing grief / stress / etc, I fully support that. I'm not by any means saying that anyone is faulting CS for the way she wrote the letter; I'm just saying that at the time she wrote it, who knows where her mind was or what she was feeling? I feel horrible for her.

This case is baffling. It pains me that CS and the family (and the families of all missing people) have to live such a nightmare every day. If someone is responsible for whatever may have happened to LS, they are indeed cowardly.

Snipped by me. I personally don't think her style of writing is a problem in terms of the case ... she does have a stream of consciousness style, but by doing that, she covers a lot of ground. She may someday say exactly what "you" needs to hear in order to take action. On the other hand, "you" may be too heartless for that.

To a degree, I think writing is her way of processing, too ... she needs to be doing all she can to help find LS, and right now, writing is one of the few things left to do. I myself do that and also in a rather circular fashion when I have a problem to solve.

If I were CS and I received that letter, I would stand on every roof top in Bton and drop hundreds of missing flyers as a "take that - we're not leaving until we find her." But that's just me. CS is more calm and collected than I would ever be.

Very calm, collected, methodical......it gives me the feeling that they know a good portion of what happened, or why, or how....but not who or where LS is. If I didn't know where my child was, yes, whether a day later or 4 mnths later, I would too be standing on top of buildings, and not just dropping flyers....I'd be screaming (figuratively). I'd can't help to think that I would go beyond the requests/suggestions/rules/laws of authorities and would be confronting 'my suspects' directly and 'stirring the pot' to get some resolve. They are sooooo cool and collected, I just can't understand them not havimg most of the story already. JMO, right or wrong...my emotions and anger would have kicked in uncontrollably.

The letter has a decidedly different tone than those of the past. I don't know if resignation is the right word, but something like that.

Two things that she doesn't say stand out to me: It is the first time in a long time, if ever, that she doesn't call out the friends. She doesn't even allude to them. Also, she says she is "thankful" to LE, no mention of confidence.

I've been thinking about your comment ... yes, the tone of this letter is different. Maybe deflated vs. resigned, though she's still not giving up. But she obviously knows time isn't on her side. I get the feeling—I so want to say something fresh about this case ...

It's interesting that she doesn't address the friends directly or indirectly. I've also been thinking more about her use of the word "coward." It could be a tactic to goad a perp into coming forward, playing on the perp not wanting to be weak, like a challenge of sorts.

FYI: Others had the same reaction. This was also posted to the @NewsonLauren site:

So, here's my idea-- Fans of the Official Lauren Spierer Updates from Her Family and ALL SUPPORTERS around the world: When you see one of Lauren's posters, wherever you are, take a PHOTO and SHARE IT.

Post it on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook...EVERYWHERE. Use your social media power to "litter" the Internet with our love and endless support for Lauren."

http://newsonlaurens.blogspot.com/

To me, CS's words sound like she believes it was abduction, not an accident. Yet another possible clue for the existence of the Mystery Man who is like man in the account that poster doubtingthomas retold. Basically, a pattern is developing.

"You alone, have the knowledge which can return Lauren to us. While it took cowardice to take Lauren off the streets of Bloomington, June 3, 2011, I offer a coward’s alternative to providing the truth.

Thanks for pointing out that in red. I TOTALLY skipped that important part! You are so right - it does sound exactly opposite now, after reading that piece. Can't believe I missed that, being so focused on the word "coward", which I still find to be an odd word choice for an abduction. I can think of lots of terms I'd use for an abductor, but "coward" doesn't really come to the forefront of my mind.

Snipped by me. I personally don't think her style of writing is a problem in terms of the case ... she does have a stream of consciousness style, but by doing that, she covers a lot of ground. She may someday say exactly what "you" needs to hear in order to take action. On the other hand, "you" may be too heartless for that.

To a degree, I think writing is her way of processing, too ... she needs to be doing all she can to help find LS, and right now, writing is one of the few things left to do. I myself do that and also in a rather circular fashion when I have a problem to solve.

Good insight, Keylime. Her style is organic and yet full of intention.

Thanks for pointing out that in red. I TOTALLY skipped that important part! You are so right - it does sound exactly opposite now, after reading that piece. Can't believe I missed that, being so focused on the word "coward", which I still find to be an odd word choice for an abduction. I can think of lots of terms I'd use for an abductor, but "coward" doesn't really come to the forefront of my mind.

I agree about use of coward. The only thing that came to mind is JR seems to be the cowardly type and she may be directing this at him, but I can't picture him taking her off the street. Keylime's thought about CS using the word as a strategy is a possibility.

snipped to point of interest:

Re. the shoes.....I don't feel that anyone "let" her walk barefoot, and even though I believe one or more of these boys is likely guilty of her disappearance, I do not blame them for "allowing" her to walk home barefoot. I think that CR/LS, and probably JR were all under the influence and LS herself was probably laughing about not having her shoes. I think that drugs/alcohol probably had them so relaxed that it wasn't an issue.

Brings up a question that puzzles me - in the state they were in, how could they do what it appears they did; namely, commit to date a perfect crime and get their stories all in sync...

Bring up the question that puzzles me - in the state they were in, how could they do what it appears they did; namely, commit to date a perfect crime and get their stories all in sync...

The rumors (and limited evidence we have) point to Lauren being pretty messed up, but we don't really know the state of anyone else. (Beyond, at least, CR's lawyer's claim that he blacked out and was 'helped home' and 'put to bed', all of which I would take with a grain of salt).

It sounds to me like she partied with one group of people before going to JR's, and then perhaps later with the POI. So it's possible, if the others were only doing coke, for example, that they really weren't very messed up at all. In fact, hypothetically, if coke can make people overly paranoid and alert, this could have worked in favor of someone trying to cover up a crime. And if only one (or two) people know what happened, getting the stories in sync would not be overly difficult, especially given the potential consequences of screwing it up... Just thinking outloud, MOO

snipped to point of interest:

Bring up the question that puzzles me - in the state they were in, how could they do what it appears they did; namely, commit to date a perfect crime and get their stories all in sync...

Quite frankly, this is why I've been considering a mystery POI or a random abductor as of late. It's possible that LS may have been more messed up than the guys, but the description "making their way" suggests to me that CR wasn't in great shape. Maybe I'm wrong? And in addition to all that, we're talking about young guys here, who have been investigated. I agree it's puzzling.

JMHO!!!

The more I read from CS the more I believe she knows very little, and all of her letters have been based on what we do here... theorize... and she is hoping that one of the letters will hit a direct target. Casting about... NOT directed.

JMHO!!

I think the most interesting thing about the letter is that it strongly suggests she is writing to ONE person. I just can't see any way in which ONE of LS' friends was responsible for her death/disappearance -- not least of all because few of them had access to a car. I think this letter targets a random abductor.

That said, there's no evidence whatsoever that CS has any better idea what happened than we do... So maybe she's just thinking that if a group of LS' friends knew the truth someone would have cracked by now, so -- having targeted the friends in the past with her letters -- she's now targeting a stranger on the off chance that's who she's dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member