IN IN - Richard Sweeney 8, Jeffrey Burkett 15, & Donald Abell 19, Henryville, 1977

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can't be that damn friendly if 3 boys were horribly murdered and everyone wants to keep quiet about it.

It was 4 decades ago. People have moved in, and people have left. It has changed alot. And, yes, we are "that damn friendly. " Shall we find the bad seed(s) in YOUR town and jusge YOU by them?

Three boys were murdered, horribly. They didn't deserve it, their families need closure and quite frankly, I find your flip attitude toward this horrifying, disgusting and disrespectful. Your lack of compassion is horrendous. I too am from a small town and we are not like this.

It was 4 decades ago. People have moved in, and people have left. It has changed alot. And, yes, we are "that damn friendly. " Shall we find the bad seed(s) in YOUR town and jusge YOU by them?
I dont think Scriptgirl was judging you....though she seems to have hit a nerve.
Many of us have horrendous unsolved cold cases in their own home areas (I have two) but no one is going to judge you for that.
If anything it makes you a great source of perspective for those of us interested in the case but logistically far away.
Im sure you would want this case solved as much as anyone and Scriptgirl has been dedicated to this case for a long time.

What the hell ? and I don't mean Indianatransplant's comment.

Murder and deception needs outing...what's going on in this place ? Children killed and there's folk willing to cover it up ?

Yes and apparently the cover up has been going on for years-but people in the town have apparently forgotten about it and moved on. Such a "friendly" little town.

Yes and apparently the cover up has been going on for years-but people in the town have apparently forgotten about it and moved on. Such a "friendly" little town.

I must admit we have a case here in the media at the moment where many feel there's one hell of a cover-up (and I agree) but if the law wont help what chance do us minions have ? :maddening:

Hi guys! I just finished reading the info that you've all posted, great job guys! I'm just speculating here, but I am from a small town, and in small towns, sometimes its not police that administer the justice. i'm curious if anyone else thinks that maybe the towns people put an "end" to all of it and that's why they won't talk, fear of self implication in another crime.

Also, i'm thinking as someone mentioned above, that maybe the 2 teens were thought to have committed the crime and someone "stopped" them from doing it to anyone else.

Again, just speculation, my opinion and all that. :)

ETA: Woah! if you have't read about Charles Sweeney murdering Dannie Guthrie, I suggest you read it! Not because I think it pertains to this case, just interesting.

Angels can you post some info re Danny?
I don't think small town justice was administered here.

Sure. BTW don't know why my fingers want to spell Danny Dannie. Makes no sense to me lol. Ok so it's interesting here.

Neither Charles Sweeney nor Danny Gunthrie were very straight laced. From all websites that I’ve looked at, all the articles I have read, seem to implicate that both men were known to the law. However, when I search the Indiana Department of Corrections, I can’t find a record of Guthrie ever being incarcerated. So that’s pretty unsubstantiated so far for me. Something of folks opinion till I can find a record on him.

Now, from the link: http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/04230801lmb.pdf

"On May 28, 1991, the victim, Danny Guthrie, left his family to go
fishing with defendant. Guthrie did not return home that evening and his wife assumed that he decided to camp over with defendant.

The next morning defendant called to see if Guthrie wanted to check the trout lines. Guthrie’s wife informed the defendant that Guthrie never returned home and the defendant told Guthrie’s wife that he brought Guthrie home between 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. the previous day. After several unsuccessful attempts to obtain more information from defendant, Guthrie’s wife called the police. On May 29, 1991, Detective Kramer, the lead investigator, and other police officers questioned the defendant at his home. However, no arrest was made and Guthrie remained missing."

Now, this is where it gets interesting. Although Sweeney was questioned in regards to Guthrie's whereabouts, he was not arrested. THEN, we have good ole Mr. Sweeney involved in some (more) trouble. He decides to put a bomb on an ATF car to blow up the detective. He was found out, and in a plea deal, had to disclose the whereabouts of Guthrie's body to police and tell what happened. Here is what Sweeney had to say (still from the above link)

“According to defendant, on the return trip from the fishing expedition,
defendant agreed to give Guthrie approximately 150 marijuana plants in
exchange for a saddle. Immediately after arriving at defendant’s home,
defendant explained to Guthrie where the marijuana plants were located and
provided Guthrie with a shovel, two buckets, and a 9 mm gun for protection.
Defendant claimed that he then went to play bingo at the Sellersburg Moose
Lodge and did not see Guthrie again that evening. The next day (May 29,
1991), after Guthrie’s wife claimed that Guthrie never came home, defendant
alleges that he went to look for Guthrie and found him dead with a gunshot
wound to the head. He also found the 9mm gun that he had given Guthrie the day before with one round missing and an empty shell casing a foot or two south of Guthrie’s body. Because defendant did not want the police to
discover the marijuana, he dragged Guthrie’s body to a ditch located behind a trailer and buried the body with sweet lime and covered it with dirt and trash. He then threw the shell casings in a creek, and placed one shoe and a pair of sunglasses in the burn barrel by his trailer. Defendant also buried the gun in an ammunition can near his home, but at a later date retrieved the gun and had it in his possession for personal protection. Defendant told the authorities that eventually the gun was seized from him in the State of Utah as a result of a routine traffic violation. At all times, defendant proclaimed his innocence.”

It seems like everywhere I look, there is no trace of Danny personally. Seems to be quite a bit about his murder, but I'm not giving up! I am going to try to track down his middle name and date of birth, I think a few of the sites had that listed. I’ll look for more personal information on Danny so I can post it.

I dont think Scriptgirl was judging you....though she seems to have hit a nerve.
Many of us have horrendous unsolved cold cases in their own home areas (I have two) but no one is going to judge you for that.
If anything it makes you a great source of perspective for those of us interested in the case but logistically far away.
Im sure you would want this case solved as much as anyone and Scriptgirl has been dedicated to this case for a long time.

Obviously she was. I know the Sweeneys. Nice people. Dont know Charles. If I didnt care, I wouldnt have come here. Sheesh, I wish I hadn't now. Ill make one point before unsubscribing: as I've read here, the only ones who are unwilling to talk are the police, because they are open cases, and ONE of the three families. How does that translate into the whole town "still" not wanting to talk? I live here. Id like to know theres not a killer walking free in my community. I care. Im not flippant. This community, LIKE EVERY OTHER IN THE USA, has changed over the last 40 years. That was my point. Now *I* dont want to talk either.

Obviously she was. I know the Sweeneys. Nice people. Dont know Charles. If I didnt care, I wouldnt have come here. Sheesh, I wish I hadn't now. Ill make one point before unsubscribing: as I've read here, the only ones who are unwilling to talk are the police, because they are open cases, and ONE of the three families. How does that translate into the whole town "still" not wanting to talk? I live here. Id like to know theres not a killer walking free in my community. I care. Im not flippant. This community, LIKE EVERY OTHER IN THE USA, has changed over the last 40 years. That was my point. Now *I* dont want to talk either.
That would be a shame, I hope youll reconsider.

Please reconsider. Sometimes I think here at websleuths we see so much cover up, so much violence, so many cases that should, possibly, be solved, that we tend to voice frustrations about no movements in cases. I'm so sorry you think we were trying to badmouth you or your town. But, regardless of what you choose to do, I just want to thank you for coming to this board and helping to try to find justice for these 3.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Bumping...anyone have advice on looking up a couple folks pertaining to thus case? Guthrie for one. Not that I think this has anything to do with the murders in 77.

Eta: I did google and pipl searching but come up with only the links to the murder charges for Mr. Sweeney.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ok so does anyone from this town remember a guy named Rick that hung out with Joe and Todd Carr? I'm assuming as well these are the 2 sons of the Doctor Carr that was well respected in the community. If you have information about Rick, such as a name, a link, or whatever, and do not feel comfortable posting it for whatever reason, please PM me. Thanks guys!

Ok so does anyone from this town remember a guy named Rick that hung out with Joe and Todd Carr? I'm assuming as well these are the 2 sons of the Doctor Carr that was well respected in the community. If you have information about Rick, such as a name, a link, or whatever, and do not feel comfortable posting it for whatever reason, please PM me. Thanks guys!

Do you have any info on this case that might include a guy named Rick?

I would appreciate it if you would share that info.

Do you have any info on this case that might include a guy named Rick?

I would appreciate it if you would share that info.

All I have is rumor so please don't mistake this for fact. Just a rumor that the two Carr kids hung around with a guy named Rick and there was talk about the 3 of them being responsible for the two older boys murders. Was just hoping to put a last name with the first for a little snooping. So...know of him?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm interested in information about this case and that is why I asked you if you had any information.

Thank you for stating that all you had was rumor and not fact.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clarice34ON4ill
Back