GUILTY IN - Ryan Martin, 29, murdered in suspect Talmadge Jasper's home, Lafayette, 23 May 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As we await sentencing, something I must’ve missed from an earlier report, that the prosecution concurs with TJs claims of mental illness -

BBM

The plea agreement states that prosecutors will not contest Jasper's claims of being mentally ill.

If Tippecanoe Superior 2 Judge Steve Meyer finds Jasper mentally ill, it will not affect the sentencing range of between 45 and 65 years in prison. It might affect Jasper's placement inside the Department of Corrections so that he can receive mental health treatment....”

Lafayette man pleads guilty to murder of man inside his apartment

@FrostedGlass - you probably haven't been following this case - but since Tippy Lynn has not been around - I was wondering if you could check for me and see if his sentencing hearing is still scheduled for 2/23/21.
Tippacanoe County #79D02-1905-MR-1

TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-016.gif

@Niner it' still scheduled for 2/23/21 at 1:30 pm.

Sorry, I haven't been around as much lately. :)

Ah - there you are!
animated-smileys-waving-017.gif
I've missed you! Hope all is well - and you are staying warm & healthly!

I have recruited FrostedGlass in a few of the Indiana cases - so no worries - they don't mind helping me if you are gone!

And thank you for the update! Take care! :)

Ah - there you are!
animated-smileys-waving-017.gif
I've missed you! Hope all is well - and you are staying warm & healthly!

I have recruited FrostedGlass in a few of the Indiana cases - so no worries - they don't mind helping me if you are gone!

And thank you for the update! Take care! :)

Hi. I'm doing good. I hope you are as well. :)

Tuesday, February 23rd:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 1:30pm CT) - IN – Ryan Allen Martin (29) (missing & found (in Jasper’s bedroom closet) May 23, 2019, Lafayette) - *Talmadge Russell Jasper (19/now 20) arrested (5/23/19) & preliminary charged (5/24/19) with murder, residential entry & invasion of privacy. Plead not guilty by reason of insanity. No bond.
Trial was set to begin on 2/25/20 continued to 9/22/20 & cancelled due to guilty plea on 8/26/20.
Court info from 5/30/19 thru 1/31/20 reference post #770 here:
GUILTY - IN - Ryan Martin, 29, murdered in suspect Talmadge Jasper's home, Lafayette, 23 May 2019

8/26/20 Update: Jasper pleaded guilty to murder Wednesday for beating Ryan to death inside Jasper's Pheasant Run apartment on May 23, 2019. The court will decide at sentencing whether Jasper is mentally ill, and prosecutors will dismiss charges of residential entry & invasion of privacy at sentencing. Jasper's guilty plea makes the insanity defense a moot issue, but his mental health could be an issue raised during his sentencing hearing. The plea agreement states that prosecutors will not contest Jasper's claims of being mentally ill. If Tippecanoe Superior Judge Steve Meyer finds Jasper mentally ill, it will not affect the sentencing range of between 45 & 65 years in prison. It might affect Jasper's placement inside the Dept. of Corrections so that he can receive mental health treatment. Jasper's sentencing hearing is scheduled for Nov. 2.
11/2/20 Update: Was not sentencing. Was a telephonic attorneys’ conference. Notice to Court of Exclusion of Confidential information filed By: Jasper. Sentencing hearing scheduled for 1/4/21 at 2:30pm. 1/4/21 Update: Court’s own motion due to COVID, sentencing rescheduled to 2/23/21.

Lafayette murderer sentenced for killing his ex's boyfriend

Feb. 23, 2021

LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Talmadge Jasper’s sentencing hearing Tuesday became a tale of two families grieving the loss of two sons — one living in prison for the next 45 years, the other dead by Jasper’s hand.

Tippecanoe Superior 2 Judge Steve Meyer sentenced Jasper to prison for 60 years for killing 29-year-old Ryan Martin on May 23, 2019. Jasper will have to serve 75 percent of the sentence — 45 years — until he can be released. He’s already served two years in pretrial detention.

Meyer’s sentence concluded emotional statements ranging from forgiveness for Jasper to constrained hatred.

there is more in the article about the victims' impact statements.

Just want to say that is not TJ in the pic with the car with snow on it. I discovered when looking at his Instagram that a lot of the people are tagged with their Instagram names to help identify them. In Oct 2016 there are a couple of interesting photos. One is with a lot of classmates on a trip to DC and everyone is "tagged" in this way. Also in Oct 2016 there is a pic of his Dad (according to his narrative) that shows his Dad coming to his house on a tricycle to help TJ start his Dad's truck. I took that to mean he was borrowing/using his Dad's truck at that time.
The 2016 picture showing dad on a “tricycle” is not at his house but at Arconic and it was to help Talmadge start his car! <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Not entirely sure, but TJ father I believe is remarried. I also noticed that in the family pictures above the fire place TJ is not in any of them, perhaps a shaky relationship with the new mom. Maybe even one of the reason his father got him a job at Arconic so he can get him out of the house... He is also COLORBLIND, as seen in his FB post wearing enchroma glasses and in other photos, looks like he saw color for the first time in sept 2016.. Did the his bird witness the crime ? It can certainly mimic things its heard according to his instagram..
So many things people are saying about Talmadge is not true! The family photo above fireplace does have Talmadge in it and his little brother! His stepmom and him gave a wonderful relationship!!! <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
So many things people are saying about Talmadge is not true! The family photo above fireplace does have Talmadge in it and his little brother! His stepmom and him gave a wonderful relationship!!! <modsnip>

@Caliamygirl you are so right! All of this speculating about Talmadge's family is ridiculous. Did I miss something and now his family is on trial???? People are presenting their thoughts and opinions as fact that obviously do not know Talmadge or his family. Just recently someone made the statement "shaky relationship with the new mom" all because they can't see Talmadge in some picture on the fireplace? Seriously???? Not that it is really anyone's business as it has nothing to do with the case but FACT Talmadge and his stepmom do NOT have a shaky relationship. "Maybe even one of the reason his father got him a job at Arconic so he can get him out of the house" is also false. His father got him the job because he was doing what a good father does and helping his son get a better job with more opportunities than the one he was at. Maybe when all of these people are snooping around hoping to find the next "exiting" tidbit that might get them some attention they can remember this saying... when you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras

Did I miss this or what? (The article has details on the murder, and it was horrible to read.)

“He didn’t deserve any of it,” said the judge. “You callously and brutally snuffed out his life from this world.”

While he acknowledged that Jasper had no official criminal history, he could not agree that he had led a law abiding life when he factored in the abuse to Renn and his illegal use of adderall."
Lafayette man sentenced to 60 years for 2019 murder

Did I miss this or what? (The article has details on the murder, and it was horrible to read.)

“He didn’t deserve any of it,” said the judge. “You callously and brutally snuffed out his life from this world.”

While he acknowledged that Jasper had no official criminal history, he could not agree that he had led a law abiding life when he factored in the abuse to Renn and his illegal use of adderall."
Lafayette man sentenced to 60 years for 2019 murder

From your link I’ve c/p below but prior to his conviction there were no hints of the severity of TJs mental illness. It also mentions he was a member of the United Methodist Church, the same church Libby was involved with. According to yearbook photos, TJ was also in the same HS class as KG.

Totally wild speculation but considering all we know, I certainly hope LE has been able to rule him out. He fits the sort of person with several traits that fit the profile of the suspect - similarity to YGS, young age, local to Delphi plus he’s proven to be violently unpredictable and devious in addition to stalking/poor handling of relationship conflict. Might he have mistaken Libby for Kelsi in some kind of infatuated dark confusion I wonder? JMO

She also told the court about the life long struggles Jasper has had with mental health. She said she has always had him see multiple therapists and that her son has to fight against the darkness everyday, and sometimes loses that fight. She said Jasper has become frightened, confused, angry and paranoid as a result of this incident, and that this is not who he is deep down.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413
Back