Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark Knight said:
I'm praying for you during these difficult times. Hang in there!
Thanks DK. You lift my soul. Truly.:angel:

blaize said:
Hello Rosco,

Now is an ideal time to get some flyers printed and handed out in the local area asking for information and just keeping the case fresh in people's minds.

blaize
Better yet... how about an interview with SBN Crime Stoppers - in front of the billboard. Yes... that might happen this weekend. GREAT!

Rosco said:
Better yet... how about an interview with SBN Crime Stoppers - in front of the billboard. Yes... that might happen this weekend. GREAT!
I can tell you are hyped up for this. You go girl! Stir up the pot and let the chips fly where they will. (I am full of old cliches tonight!)

gardenmom said:
I can tell you are hyped up for this. You go girl! Stir up the pot and let the chips fly where they will. (I am full of old cliches tonight!)
You got it! Let the chips fly. Thanks for the pep talk. I am hyped up but still very very nervous. Of course, not sure what to expect or who I will see.

Rosco said:
You got it! Let the chips fly. Thanks for the pep talk. I am hyped up but still very very nervous. Of course, not sure what to expect or who I will see.
Be safe too, the killer (s) is/are still out there somewhere.

Rosco said:
Good luck Rosco, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Keep the flyer idea in mind though too just in case you need to kindle interest again in the next few weeks. The main thing is to keep this in the public mind & sooner or later the final pieces of the jigsaw will fall into place.

blaize

gardenmom said:
So, tell us how it went!
Fantastic. Front page twice - sat and sun. We were shocked at how much coverage was offered. Went into this mission to try and get a few words in a newpaper..and we went out with live coverage and front page pic's on both days too!!!! Came on right after the WINNING ND game. Perfect time I thought.
Billboard looks great. LE expressed their possitive thoughts on the billboard. It was nice to hear that.

I was dissapointed that there were no headstones yet on the graves (crying). I heard that it can take a year to be permitted for headstones? I was also told one was already ordered. We were supposed to have been involved in the picture that was going to be etched on the face..Maybe I can look into that? I did not hear from family members. nobody. That bothers me. Can't understand ANY reason ANYONE would have just simply picked up their phone and called me. Tell me that they would support my cause. Support the caputure of the person/s who murdered my dad and darleen. I don't want their money..if that is the only reason for their silence. I just don't get it. Fear? Because the person/s have not been captured? Should be MORE the reason to try and help LE thru any tool allowed.

It really hurts my heart to feel alone. Even thru all this coverage... I feel so alone with this mission. Hard to explain I guess. Hard weekend.

Did receive possitive feedback thru locals and neighbors there about media coverage and billboard. We made sure to visit areas and 'show face around'. Talk seems to be the same. Not much variation. Neighbors are scared. Packing heat. Don't blame them - I do too and I am hours away. We are called the 'family that cares' and not the 'other family'.

Rosco said:
Fantastic. Front page twice - sat and sun. We were shocked at how much coverage was offered. Went into this mission to try and get a few words in a newpaper..and we went out with live coverage and front page pic's on both days too!!!! Came on right after the WINNING ND game. Perfect time I thought.
Billboard looks great. LE expressed their possitive thoughts on the billboard. It was nice to hear that. <snipped>
Great outcome to the media mission Rosco, definitely a huge benefit to have the spot on just after the game, I bet there was a huge viewer audience.

blaize

Rosco said:
I did not hear from family members. nobody. That bothers me. Can't understand ANY reason ANYONE would have just simply picked up their phone and called me. Tell me that they would support my cause. Support the caputure of the person/s who murdered my dad and darleen. I don't want their money..if that is the only reason for their silence. I just don't get it. Fear? Because the person/s have not been captured? Should be MORE the reason to try and help LE thru any tool allowed.

It really hurts my heart to feel alone. Even thru all this coverage... I feel so alone with this mission. Hard to explain I guess. Hard weekend.

Glad it went well. Can you remind me again of what family members are left besides your half sister and your brother? I find it extremely odd that no one contacted you. Although, did you try to contact them first? Let them know you were going to be in town over the weekend? Did you try to go to the house at all? I think if I were you I would mention to LE that no one in your family talked to you while you were there. That just confirms the red flags you have been feeling.

blaize said:
Great outcome to the media mission Rosco, definitely a huge benefit to have the spot on just after the game, I bet there was a huge viewer audience.

blaize
It was a great outcome. Thanks for the pep talks and giving me the courage to go. Hoping the foundation will grow and I can continue to tell the public of an increase in the reward. Received plenty of great feelings thru friends and even strangers who we ran into.

gardenmom said:
Glad it went well. Can you remind me again of what family members are left besides your half sister and your brother? I find it extremely odd that no one contacted you. Although, did you try to contact them first? Let them know you were going to be in town over the weekend? Did you try to go to the house at all? I think if I were you I would mention to LE that no one in your family talked to you while you were there. That just confirms the red flags you have been feeling.
It's myself and brother (same parents) Half brother from second marriage. I never knew him until the murders. LE is not looking at this person. And then 'A' (same parents). Dad had one brother and two sisters and Darleen has two brothers. NOBODY has called me or emailed me OR even said WOW.. nothing..

I did email LE regarding the lack of support from everyone in family. I can understand the brothers and sisters of both sides. I was never close to any of them - so I can see the lack of interest. But 'A" was/is not a stranger and we were close family. Still - this was a double murder... can't imagine why no family would even just drop me a line to say thanks for the help for trying to find out who killed my brother/sister/FATHER and MOTHER.... NOTHING..

I have tried to contact family for months. I have send/mailed/emailed flyers and web-site information to every possible family member. I have NEVER been called nor sent a letter or NOTHING on anything I have done for this past year. I DID NOT call anyone this weekend. Actually this might sound harsh -but I am not going to continue to BEG for someone to call me about the mission I/we are on. I think the letters and flyers and umpteen emails I have sent out to family (my dad's two sisters and one brother - and Darleen's two brothers - AND 'A'...) I told family that they should contact 'A' and find out if she was going to have a memorial service for her PARENTS... as I was not going to ALSO plan that event. I decided in the beginging of the last week to go to the graves and see billboard. I really had NO plans on going.. but thought better to try and promote.

I will not go to the house. I won't even go down the road. There are too many strangers who wonder in/out of that property that I do not have any reasons to go there when I am not welcome. I was told to 'piss-off' and that my flyers and letters about benefits/billboards and web-sites are not welcome (per 'A' and a letter she wrote me in Sept) to the addresses - and that nobody cares about the foundation.

How should I feel??? Would any of you continue to call and mail information to anyone if you receive NO reply.. and if and when you do - it's completly negative.

Honestly, Rosco, I would feel the same way. I hope I didn't offend you by asking if you had tried to contact them. I just wanted to see what the situation was. You are doing everything you can to make sure people don't forget about this. If it means paying a visit every year on the anniversary, then that is what you should do. I just hope it doesn't take that long for justice. It seems to me like LE has a suspect or suspects. They just need someone to crack. The higher the reward and the more media, the better chances of that happening, IMO.

PS I know it's easier said than done, but don't forget to take care of yourself and your own family. :blowkiss:

gardenmom said:
Honestly, Rosco, I would feel the same way. I hope I didn't offend you by asking if you had tried to contact them. I just wanted to see what the situation was. You are doing everything you can to make sure people don't forget about this. If it means paying a visit every year on the anniversary, then that is what you should do. I just hope it doesn't take that long for justice. It seems to me like LE has a suspect or suspects. They just need someone to crack. The higher the reward and the more media, the better chances of that happening, IMO.

PS I know it's easier said than done, but don't forget to take care of yourself and your own family. :blowkiss:
Thanks for being honest. ;)

I am not offended - not at all. I understand - just checking on how and what happend. Just burns me - you know. With the lack of family help. Yes.. planning on every year to visit and maybe get the same coverage. Billboard will probably only be up for a few months and then possibly up again around the 2nd anniversary - MAYBE there won't be a second anniversary and then next time I go would be for a trial (praying). That would be THE BOMB! I was given more support for total strangers than I had from my own flesh/blood. I'm glad that I am not the only person who would feel hurt by the lack of attention.

Your a sweet person gardenmom. I was not offended.

Did anyone get a chance to read/listen to the TV coverage on WANE.COM and WSBT.COM?

From the front page of the Herald-Republican newspaper in Angola, Indiana:

Mongo murders: One year later
By MATT GETTS
mattg@kpcnews.net

ns03.jpg

MONGO - A year later, and the effects can still be felt.

Terry Anderson, 59, and Darleen Anderson, 57, were found murdered on their property in the 6000 block of C.R. 250N in rural Mongo on Oct. 21, 2005. Darleen Anderson's body was found in the house, and Terry Anderson's was later found in an outbuilding. The victims died of “blunt force trauma,” according to LaGrange County Coroner Bruce Coney.

Police have not disclosed the weapon that was used to kill the Andersons, or whether the weapon has been recovered.

Their murders are still unsolved, and the case remains an open wound for many involved.

Jim Codling, owner of the Mongo Tavern, now locks the doors of his house at night. Codling also has purchased a dog to protect his family when he's away.

Terry Anderson's daughter, Sherry Musilek, and her husband, Erik, have created a Web site and foundation with the hopes of finding the killer.

For LaGrange County Sheriff Greg Dhaene and the lead investigator in the case, Detective Tad Oakley, the murders are never far from their minds.

“You are constantly preoccupied, even in your off time,” Dhaene said.

The investigation

It has been two months since anyone has called in with any new tips in the murders, Dhaene said Tuesday, but the investigation remains far from closed.

“I am still hopeful there will be an arrest,” he said.

“We are still encouraging anyone in the community who has information to contact us, contact Crime Stoppers,” Dhaene said.

Detectives continue to follow leads in the case, checking and re-checking information.

During the past 12 months, suspects have been looked at from areas including Michigan, Ohio and Florida. Investigators have gone back 30 years into Terry Anderson's life, looking for clues.

The Behavioral Analysis Unit of the Federal Bureau of Investigation has been consulted, and the Mongo murders are now in the bureau's national database. Any similar crime will be compared to the Mongo case by the FBI, with information shared with LaGrange County officials.

A dozen investigators have logged thousands of hours pursuing leads in the case.

“It has been a widespread, wide-reaching investigation,” Dhaene said.

Dhaene declined to comment on the status of the case.

“I don't want to do or say anything that would hinder the course of the investigation,” he said. “We just don't want to take the chance of doing anything that would compromise (the case).”

But the 28-year law enforcement veteran said the last 12 months have been anything but easy.

“This has been the single-most difficult case I have been involved in,” Dhaene said.

The sheriff cited the serious nature of the crime, the number of potential participants and lack of cooperation from many witnesses.

On Oct. 3, Larry Lee Carpenter, 51, of West Palm Beach, Fla., and formerly of Sturgis, Mich., was sentenced in LaGrange Circuit Court to 150 days in prison and a $100 fine plus court costs on a count of false informing.

Carpenter's sentence will be served after he completes his current term on a drug charge.

Carpenter allegedly provided numerous false, misleading and contradictory statements to sheriff's department and Indiana State Police detectives investigating the murders.

Unfortunately, according to Dhaene, Carpenter's falsehoods have been the rule rather than the exception in this case.

“That's been indicative of some of how this investigation has gone,” Dhaene said. “A number of people Š have intentionally lied and deceived.

“That's what we've faced since almost day one in this case.”

The deceptions have forced investigators into wasting time on these false leads, backtracking on interviews and having to re-check statements for accuracy.

In many instances, investigators have been stymied about why the person lied in the first place.

Dhaene said these lies have “slowed and hindered” the investigation.

Oakley said the department has several theories on the case, but declined to mention any of them specifically.

Remembering

the Andersons

A billboard stands at the intersection of U.S. 20 and S.R. 3, south of Mongo. It asks anyone with information regarding the murders of Terry and Darleen Anderson to contact authorities. The billboard was paid for by the Terry and Darleen Foundation.

According to the foundation's Web site, www.terryanddarleen.com, “The goal of the foundation is to establish a monetary fund that will be used to help the communities that were home to Terry and Darleen. A portion of the fund will be set aside to be used as a reward for information leading the arrest and conviction of those involved.”

The Terry and Darleen Anderson Foundation is headquartered in Crestwood, Ill., and is managed by Terry's daughter, Sherry Musilek.

Sherry's husband, Eric Musilek, started the foundation.

“(Terry) was my hunting buddy. He was my fishing buddy. We were pretty tight,” said Eric Musilek.

A fundraiser for the foundation in the Chicagoland area raised $1,500. Eric Musilek said he looks forward to handing the reward money to whoever provides information leading to the arrest of the killer or killers.

“They did not deserve this,” he said.

The Web site is filled with pictures and stories about the Andersons, recollections of a man and woman loved by many. Included are photos and pictures of Terry Anderson muskie fishing, and stories of Darleen's shopping habit.

Terry Anderson was a familiar figure at the Mongo Tavern. He'd come in two or three times a week for a soda and a mushroom and swiss burger.

“He was a nice guy,” Codling said.

A changed Mongo?

One year ago, Mongo was shaken with the news that Terry and Darleen Anderson had been murdered at their home.

“Everybody tends to become complacent,” Codling said. “That (stuff) doesn't happen around here.”

While Codling said people in general have become more cautious since the murders, Mongo is still Mongo.

“Everybody (still) talks about it,” Codling said. “But it hasn't changed the town. It's hard to change a town like this.”

From wane.com, Newschannel 15, Ft. Wayne, IN:

1 Yr. Later, Mongo Murder Remains Unsolved

(Mongo - WANE) A billboard in LaGrange County has people talking, again, about a double murder that happened a year ago in Mongo, Indiana, and still remains unsolved. It's a new tool that might help crack the case.

Drive down State Road Three and you'll find two faces smiling. They are Terry and Darleen Anderson, who were brutally beaten to death a year ago. Still, their murderer remains a mystery.

"The billboard, I put up because I just don't want it to be a cold case," said Terry's daughter and Darleen's stepdaughter. "I want people to visit the website and visit often."

The family said they will never forget Terry and Darleen, but they don't want other people to either. That's why they put up a bill board, created a website, and are offering a $2,000 reward, all in hopes of finding the killer.

"I can't bring my dad back. I wish I could. That's what hurts the most, but I can at least try to find out who did it and let them pay for what they did," said Musilek.

Up only a week, people are already taking notice.

"I've heard a few people talking about it," said family friend Tom Christian. "A lot of people think these people are still out there, whoever did it. Are they going to come to my home? It's a thought all the time."

Even though no one has been arrested for the murders, family and friends said they believe police are still making the crime a priority.

"I'm hoping they are very diligent on it and I believe they are. I truly believe it," said Musilek.

"I think they're doing all they can," said Christian.

Still, loved ones vow another year will not pass without closure to the case. They are asking anyone with information to go to the police.

"If you know anything, any little thing that is not revelant, call the Sheriff and tell them. It may make sense to them. So, something you think is not important may be the key to open that door," said Musilek.

An officer with the LaGrange County Sheriff's Department said they are still actively working on the case and that lead continue to come in.

If you have any tips, call Crimestoppers at 1-800-342-7867.

pxl_trans.gif

pxl_trans.gif
pxl_trans.gif

LaGrange County Murder Remains Unsolved One Year Later

DoubleMurder_WSBT1.jpg
(WSBT)Family members search for answers a year after the brutal murder of a LaGrange County couple. Terry and Darleen Anderson were beaten to death inside their home in Mongo in LaGrange County last October.

Now family members are offering a reward, posted a billboard and have launched a website to help police solve this crime.

"My goal is just to try and find out who did it," said Sherry Musilek, an Anderson. "That's my goal. and if it's websites, if it's billboards, if it's talking to the media. if it's sending any email, i can do anyone who will listen. "

There was a brief glimmer of hope for the family, when an inmate at the LaGrange County Jail said he knew who killed the Andersons, but it turned out to be a lie. The Lagrange County Sheriff's Department says if you have any information call them or the State Police, or Crimestoppers.

For more information, visit http:[url]www.terryanddarleen.com[/url].

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/4449601.html

From the Ft. Wayne, IN, Journal-Gazette:

MONGO – On Oct. 3, for the second time in nearly a year, dozens of people made their way on to the property of Terry and Darleen Anderson.

But instead of police detectives, this time they were bidders, hoping to buy what was left of the couple’s estate.

“It’s like being at another funeral, being at this auction,” said Tom Christian of Stroh, Terry Anderson’s friend of 35 years.

The Andersons were found beaten to death a year ago today at their home in the 6200 block of East County Road 250 North, Mongo. They had been killed between 8 p.m. Oct. 20, 2005, and 7:21 a.m. Oct. 21, police said.

No suspects have been named in the deaths.

Terry Anderson’s fishing gear was a main attraction at the auction, but Christian wasn’t sure he felt right about bidding on any of it, even as a keepsake.

“It ain’t even been a year,” he said. “It’s sad.”

The case has gripped the LaGrange County town of about 250 residents, said John McNeal, another longtime friend and fishing pal of Terry Anderson.

“In a community like this, you know everybody,” McNeal said. “They were really nice people, and giving people.”

The homicide investigation is still active, but no new leads have been reported in the past couple of months, something that’s not unusual as cases stretch on, LaGrange County Sheriff Greg Dhaene said.

“We will continue to look at all leads,” Dhaene said. “Somebody out there knows something about this case.”

The only charges filed in the case have been against 51-year-old Larry Lee Carpenter of West Palm Beach, Fla., and formerly of Sturgis, Mich. Carpenter faces a misdemeanor count of false informing for giving detectives misleading, false and contradictory information in several interviews.

Police believe Carpenter was looking for a way to better his situation when faced with an unrelated drug charge and thought giving information on the slayings would accomplish that, LaGrange County Prosecutor Jeff Wible said.

Carpenter’s false statements wasted investigators’ time, Dhaene said.

“It definitely slowed us down,” he said.

The news of Carpenter’s arrest in September was hard for the couple’s surviving family to hear, Sherry Musilek, Terry Anderson’s daughter, said Friday.

The idea of someone impeding the investigation is “sickening,” she said.

“It’s like you’re working on people’s miseries by doing that,” she said.

Musilek, her husband, Eric, and 3-year-old son, Nicholas, came to Mongo on Friday to visit the Andersons’ grave sites and see a billboard they rented near the intersection of Indiana 3 and U.S. 20.

“Who killed Terry and Darleen Anderson?” the billboard asks.

The question has haunted Musilek for a year.

“I’ve got to find out what happened,” she said.

The Musileks have actively campaigned to keep the case in the public eye. In April, a reading with a psychic took place, and a tape recording of the reading was delivered to investigators.

In June, the Webster Lake Musky Club, one of Terry Anderson’s hobbies, dedicated its annual Iron Man Outing to Anderson and donated proceeds to the Musileks to be used for reward money and to hire a private investigator.

“It’s just very humbling,” Sherry Musilek said.

The family hopes any publicity will stir up new leads.

Sherry Musilek grew up in Chicago. Her mother and Terry Anderson had divorced when Sherry was 4 years old, and she didn’t know her father growing up.

At 18, she and her older brother decided to find him, and he was a part of their lives ever since, she said.

Her brother Rick Kwiek of California has decided since the homicides to change his last name to Anderson, along with his wife and four children.

They like to think that would have made Terry and Darleen proud, Sherry Musilek said.

amapes@jg.net

Can you help?
•Anyone with information about the double homicide of Terry and Darleen Anderson is asked to call the LaGrange County Sheriff’s Department at 260-463-7491, Indiana State Police at 260-432-8661 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-342-7867

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/news/15815600.htm

I found this very interesting from one of the articles DarkKnight posted. I wonder who he is referring to about not being cooperative. Makes me wonder about A and Co. It sounds like they have a pretty good idea who did it, but they do not have anything concrete to support it.

Dhaene declined to comment on the status of the case.

“I don't want to do or say anything that would hinder the course of the investigation,” he said. “We just don't want to take the chance of doing anything that would compromise (the case).”

But the 28-year law enforcement veteran said the last 12 months have been anything but easy.

“This has been the single-most difficult case I have been involved in,” Dhaene said.

The sheriff cited the serious nature of the crime, the number of potential participants and lack of cooperation from many witnesses.

On Oct. 3, Larry Lee Carpenter, 51, of West Palm Beach, Fla., and formerly of Sturgis, Mich., was sentenced in LaGrange Circuit Court to 150 days in prison and a $100 fine plus court costs on a count of false informing.

Carpenter's sentence will be served after he completes his current term on a drug charge.

Carpenter allegedly provided numerous false, misleading and contradictory statements to sheriff's department and Indiana State Police detectives investigating the murders.

Unfortunately, according to Dhaene, Carpenter's falsehoods have been the rule rather than the exception in this case.

“That's been indicative of some of how this investigation has gone,” Dhaene said. “A number of people Š have intentionally lied and deceived.

“That's what we've faced since almost day one in this case.”

The deceptions have forced investigators into wasting time on these false leads, backtracking on interviews and having to re-check statements for accuracy.

In many instances, investigators have been stymied about why the person lied in the first place.

Dhaene said these lies have “slowed and hindered” the investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow