Interesting Info about Site where remains found

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That site looks like every unkempt or undeveloped corner in the area. If I didn't stay after my lawn, it would look dense like that in a matter of a short time.

I don't think many people really realize the dense growth that occurs in this area of the country. When people say "woods" they often think of a nice wooded lot, with well traveled trails through them. It's not like that in Orlando. The underbrush is thick and heavy with palmetto and vines, usually low lying areas that retain water and are marshy most of the time. Many neighborhoods have small lots near them, very similar to the one where they found poor Caylee.

Thank goodness he trusted his instincts and wouldn't let it go.

THANK YOU MARPLE! I said the same thing in the 'MEMORIAL TO CAYLEE - RENAME THE STREET' thread and got bashed for saying it was 'unkempt' and something should be done to clear it out. That was my view on that area as well. AND it is an attractive nuisance for the neighborhood for unknown element to hide there, for various wildlife to breed and multiply there, and neither is a good thing since it is contiguous to an ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.

I suggested in the other thread that a petition to the City to order the owner to clear and/or fence the property so people wouldn't be dumping there, might be a better idea than renaming the school or the street after Caylee. It would prevent it continuing to be used for dumping, drugs, drinking, and whatever else those thick woods conceal. Even if they cleared it out so it was subtly treed, without all the undergrowth and thick vegetation, that would help.

If this is a trash dump site for people doesn't the county ever go in and clean it up?

As I understand it, it's privately owned property. The owner would be responsible for cleaning it up....ooops he's out of town...an absentee owner. Absentee owners present a huge problem to city and county government in keeping lots and tracts cleared and free from debris. It's the CITY's (or County's) job though to issue a citation to the owner that he has so many days to clean up his property, or the city will do it FOR him and place a lien on the property for the cost of the services.

Once I saw the discovery site I knew there was no way this was the same spot Kio claimed was their hang out..She said they often brought food & ate there too :waitasec:

It definitely doesn't appear to be a teen hangout at all..I do think it's nearby & that's the area LE checked out.

I'm :confused: about the 'dumping ground'..The A's have trash cans out front so they must get pick-up (maybe they pay?) but either way there has to be a dump in the area & still ppl use the local woods instead..Is this just a FL/Orlando thang? :eek:

It is not just a Florida thing.

I live in northern Indiana and 35 of my acres are heavily wooded. We do have nice trails going through our woods. My husband mows those. But, off of the trails we let nature take its course and it is overgrown.

People throw bags of trash or worse back into our woods all the time. Yes, we do clean it up upon occasion. But, garbage bags are tossed into our woods AT LEAST once a week.

Slobs exist everywhere, IMO.

JMO- but if it is true that this was a KNOWN dump site in close proximity to the home, all the more reason it should have been declared a prime area of concern and subject to extensive search early on.

It only baffles me more as to how Caylee could have been missed when she was just off the road, so close to home.

Me too.

They had almost 2,000 of us searching around the airport and miles away with a fine tooth comb, but no one searched the woods 1/3 a mile from her house? Ridiculous.

Me too.

They had almost 2,000 of us searching around the airport and miles away with a fine tooth comb, but no one searched the woods 1/3 a mile from her house? Ridiculous.

Yes, so ridiculous you would assume it required effort.:furious:

Let me just ask this. What exactly do you think LE should have done with the 3 tips from the MR?

First call. Say you are an OSCO deputy and you respond to a call about a stinky trash bag on Suburban Drive. When you get there the caller is gone and you see nothing on the side of the road except swamp. What do you do?

Third call. You are a different OSCO deputy and you respond to the stinky trash bag call. This time the caller waits for you. There is nothing visible on the side of the road and the swamp is full of water. You get nearer to the swamp, but a 4' rattlesnake awaits your next step. You see nothing and you smell nothing. What do you do?

Oh in hindsight, I suppose you suggest that the deputy shoot the snake. Officers can not simply shoot undesirable animals or reptiles! They can not just shoot their guns to kill a snake that they can just walk away from for pete's sake. There are rules about firing their handguns! Especially in a residential neighborhood and on private property!

A stinky trash bag in an illegal dump site is not a sufficient reason to shoot wildlife!

Do you expect that the report of a stinky trash bag in an illegal dumpsite in a swamp should be reason for LE to swarm out in full force, drain the swamp and start rummaging through all the trash bags, tires, whatever, to find a trash bag which is not visible and which no longer emits an odor discernible from the edge of the swamp?

There was a post here by a WS'r who went out to look at the site. She reported that in her opinion anyone taking a step of two beyond the cut grassy area would likely stumble upon a tire, a trash bag or some other junk that someone threw in there.

I can not blame this officer for not wading into this mess, it would have been an exercise in futility. I also can not blame them for not launching an all out search for a trash bag in a swampy illegal dump site because someone thinks they smelled something foul. A dead snake stinks to high heaven, as does a dead armadillo, racoon, opossum, alligator, dog, cat not to mention the rotting stench that eminates from a swamp.

Don't blame LE for not immediately deciding that a stinky garbage bag report was actually Caylee's body. Blame KC for putting her there and not telling anyone. Put the responsibility where it belongs.

Let me just ask this. What exactly do you think LE should have done with the 3 tips from the MR?

First call. Say you are an OSCO deputy and you respond to a call about a stinky trash bag on Suburban Drive. When you get there the caller is gone and you see nothing on the side of the road except swamp. What do you do?

Third call. You are a different OSCO deputy and you respond to the stinky trash bag call. This time the caller waits for you. There is nothing visible on the side of the road and the swamp is full of water. You get nearer to the swamp, but a 4' rattlesnake awaits your next step. You see nothing and you smell nothing. What do you do?

Oh in hindsight, I suppose you suggest that the deputy shoot the snake. Officers can not simply shoot undesirable animals or reptiles! They can not just shoot their guns to kill a snake that they can just walk away from for pete's sake. There are rules about firing their handguns! Especially in a residential neighborhood and on private property!

A stinky trash bag in an illegal dump site is not a sufficient reason to shoot wildlife!

Do you expect that the report of a stinky trash bag in an illegal dumpsite in a swamp should be reason for LE to swarm out in full force, drain the swamp and start rummaging through all the trash bags, tires, whatever, to find a trash bag which is not visible and which no longer emits an odor discernible from the edge of the swamp?

There was a post here by a WS'r who went out to look at the site. She reported that in her opinion anyone taking a step of two beyond the cut grassy area would likely stumble upon a tire, a trash bag or some other junk that someone threw in there.

I can not blame this officer for not wading into this mess, it would have been an exercise in futility. I also can not blame them for not launching an all out search for a trash bag in a swampy illegal dump site because someone thinks they smelled something foul. A dead snake stinks to high heaven, as does a dead armadillo, racoon, opossum, alligator, dog, cat not to mention the rotting stench that eminates from a swamp.

Don't blame LE for not immediately deciding that a stinky garbage bag report was actually Caylee's body. Blame KC for putting her there and not telling anyone. Put the responsibility where it belongs.

No excuses for not doing their job. imo

I would have thought a grid search would have been done starting with the Anthonys house and radiating out for several miles into wooded areas, especially. Swamp or no swamp, it could have been drained and searched. I remember back to that time in the case being so puzzled that no nearby searches were being done. Sorry, JMO.

If this is a trash dump site for people doesn't the county ever go in and clean it up?

I would think all those people that end up with community service as part of their sentence would be cleaning up trash. Get out the hip boots!
Especially so close to a school.
IMO:waitasec:

Hello all,

As luck would have it, I was on a plane yesterday and sat next to a lovely woman who lives down the street from the Anthony's (we were flying into Orlando).

Here is some info she gave me that REALLY helped explain perhaps why they did not find Caylee's remains after the meter-man called and called.

She said that the neighborhood/area behind the site is ill-kept and that people VERY often dump things there...trash...shoes...you name it.

I couldn't understand how an officer would go investigate and then dismiss...but apparently there's always a lot of debris/trash there.

Thought it was an interesting tidbit to share.

Thanks, Truthful Lies!

It does put a different perspective on the site where Caylee's remains were found. If it's got a reputation as a dump site, people aren't as likely to get excited over a strange odor or a bag of trash dumped there. They just take it for granted that it's just another bag of trash. I can see that a police officer, if he knows this is a place where people dump trash on a regular basis, may not follow through with a complete investigation...........although he should have because of the situation.

The neighbors too have probably become complacent about the trash there. There was a report that a young man that lives across the road from the site, said he told LE about a dead animal found there and they probably dismissed the odor as being from that dead animal.

I wonder now if Casey disposed of Caylee's remains there because she knew that it would blend in as just another bag of trash?

I can also see why it took LE so long to investigate the site and go through all that was there. There was probably several years worth of unrelated trash on that site.

I don't mean to offend anyone but I would appreciate if someone would explain to me how LE should have "known" Caylee was in that weed-choked, snake (and Lord know what all) infested, heavily wooded acreage.

I do believe the people who followed up on the meter readers tips should worry about their careers with OCSO. And rightfully so. If the follow-ups had been handled better, little Caylee would have been found earlier. But that doesn't necessarily translate to this area being the first place LE should have looked for her.

It is very easy to sit in our computer chairs and criticize but, if we were in LE's shoes, starting a month behind, with no idea where the poor child might have been disposed of, I don't think we would find it so easy to find her either. JMO.

Thank you! Of course there is no way LE could have known that Caylee would be in that area. Casey was insisting that Caylee was kidnapped and the Anthony's had a big 'Caylee is alive' campaign going, along with sightings. TES and independant searchers were looking for Caylee but had been unable to search that area because of high water.

I also agree that the followups could have been done better. However, let's say that a deputy responds to a call that the meter reader had seen a suspicious GRAY bag on the side of the street on August 11th. The meter reader did not meet the deputy there and no gray bag was visible. What more should the deputy have done? The meter reader calls again on August 12th. Again no bag visable. The third time the meter reader calls, the deputy encounters a large snake. Look at it like this - many tips had been called in? Who can determine whether or not this person is credible? Concerning the meter reader, all he has seen or reported is a garbage bag that is no longer visible. All the deputy could have done is look as far as he/she could see. You encounter a snake or something equally as dangerous, just how much danger is this deputy supposed to put himself in? As far as the deputy having 'cleared' the area is where the mistake comes in. You cannot clear an area unless you have walked the area and know there is nothing there. I am looking forward to seeing what was written in the deputies report. There has to be a disposition of every call a deputy responds to. Again, the mistake, IMO, may turn out to being that the deputy cleared the area when in fact, it had not been cleared the right way. IE, walking the area on foot. And I surely would not have done that alone, either. He should have used the deputy in the second responding unit to do just that.

I am sick that little Caylee was put into a garbage bag and dumped into a trash filled area. I am thinking that Casey did want Caylee found because of the kidnapping story and having used duct tape. Duct tape is used in a lot of kidnappings. (murders as well)

But, what do I know? I honestly believed that IF Caylee was ever found, she would have been lovingly buried by George in an attempt to cover for Casey! I was way off the mark! I also wanted the hibiscus bush dug up as well as underneath the playhouse! I still feel that Caylee was buried or placed in that backyard at some point, then moved.

I am so looking forward to hearing EVERYTHING the meter reader states in his interview with LE once he found Caylee's remains. He may have seen something or knows something we have not heard about yet.

No offense, but what does Florida have to do with it?

This happens all over the country.Rural families don't have trash pick up and woods might be closer than the nearest dump.Even people who have trash pickup are sometimes limited to a certain amount or they pay more,so they might be tempted to dump.It's disgusting but it happens all over.

I don't mean to offend anyone but I would appreciate if someone would explain to me how LE should have "known" Caylee was in that weed-choked, snake (and Lord know what all) infested, heavily wooded acreage.

i'm not saying they should have known her body was there. i don't think anyone is saying that.
i am saying that they had to at least know that there was an area being used as a dump site located VERY close to the anthony home and therefore it should have been somewhere that they wanted to look at immediately. to me it's common sense.

I would have thought a grid search would have been done starting with the Anthonys house and radiating out for several miles into wooded areas, especially. Swamp or no swamp, it could have been drained and searched. I remember back to that time in the case being so puzzled that no nearby searches were being done. Sorry, JMO.

I should change my name to broken record but; it had been 31 days since Caylee was seen,they had decomp in the car that suggests KC drove away with Caylee's body.They had a neighbor saying KC's car was backed into the garage suggesting she was moving the body.There were cell pings in remote places out by the airport. The working theory was that KC moved the body away from home. That's what everyone believed,not just LE.
I think in most cases a grid search would start at the home,but this was far from normal.Everyone in the home said KC had left the home with Caylee.

With all due respect, Doteyes, I think you are putting words in mouths.

I for one am not "blaming" LE for not knowing Caylee's body was there. Nor am I saying that the deputy(s) should have taken it upon himself to go in there alone. What I have said is the tips weren't followed up properly. This was Casey's zone, as someone else mentioned...a bad odor reported, a garbage bag sighted in area that was in extremely close proximity to a missing/endangered child's home warranted higher authorities to be alerted. Why this wasn't done is being investigated, as it should be.

Since the area where Cylees' remains were found is so littered with trash bags what was it about this bag that attracted the meter mans' attention? And more then one time?

Well, after too much thought.
I can to the conclusion, the cop should have shot the snake.
They had a situation in Orlando where all eyes were on them across the nation, they needed to close this case. Thousands of people searched in more dangerous places, without guns.
Personally, I would not have driven away, from the Anthony's own neighborhood.
IMO

This may have been discussed elsewhere, but it has been reported the Casey used this place as a pet cemetary. I am curious about what type of pets they were and how they died? Do most parents allow their children to bury beloved family pets in some dump? Killing pets is a red flag for killing humans, is it not?

I think this is considered a trait of a true psychopath. I remember reading a book about Ted Bundy, and it was stated that adults noticed him torturing insects at first, pulling a wing off of a flying insect. It was believed that he later killed animals.

[/b]

With all due respect, Doteyes, I think you are putting words in mouths.

I for one am not "blaming" LE for not knowing Caylee's body was there. Nor am I saying that the deputy(s) should have taken it upon himself to go in there alone. What I have said is the tips weren't followed up properly. This was Casey's zone, as someone else mentioned...a bad odor reported, a garbage bag sighted in area that was in extremely close proximity to a missing/endangered child's home warranted higher authorities to be alerted. Why this wasn't done is being investigated, as it should be.

Casey's zone was behind the school in the woods. That was not where she was found.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evieeve
Back