Iran - Ukrainian Airlines Boeing 737 crashes, 180 possible fatalities, Tehran, 8 Jan 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Iirc, In past Aviation disasters we have had one poster here who has background in such that we relied on. I can't remember who it has been. Is that post person posting here now?

I think you may be thinking of @emirates1957 her posts were very knowledgeable and informative. She works in aviation and is greatly missed.

Iran plane crash: Entire Ukraine Airline crew who died pictured

Pilot Volodymir Gaponenko and second pilot Sergey Khomenko were killed along with flight attendants and stewards Katerina Statnik, Marina Mikityuk, Valeria Ovcharuk,Volodimir Gaponenko, Julia Sologub, Alexey Naumkin, Igor Matkov and Denis Lykhno

Entire Ukraine Airline crew who died in Iran plane crashpictured

D6351C4F-8670-43A3-96CF-E94E64B60789.jpeg DDE05A14-D12F-4B05-8E7C-322C2AFBCC82.jpeg FCBF0A2C-A6AE-4F6E-8958-21793BD99514.jpeg 3582AEDD-962D-475F-8D75-9A9948F04F4A.jpeg 4E8C2920-194C-4921-8CA1-2C43F5CE6195.jpeg 9710910F-008D-49FC-BEA4-1E055B3044A5.jpeg 3F51D5C9-5A52-4755-9143-FAEFE3E2F9AA.jpeg E984FEA3-99E6-4FAB-90AE-4461316D5020.jpeg F673B157-FC84-4C0D-9C63-769260CA1798.jpeg

This terrible tragedy is desperately sad. May all the crew and passengers Rest In Peace.

I think you may be thinking of @emirates1957 her posts were very knowledgeable and informative. She works in aviation and is greatly missed.

@emirates1957 appears to not have been here since last April, and is from Australia. Shout out to Australia as to the devastation they are going through at this time.

Such sadness and prayers going up for all those affected from this airline crash here in this thread.

63 Canadians killed in plane crash near Tehran. Victims include returning university students and professionals, friends say | The Star
"Dozens of Canadians and several university students returning to Canada after the winter break were among 176 people killed after a passenger jet crashed minutes after taking off from the Iranian capital’s main airport early Wednesday, according to Ukrainian officials and friends of the victims.

The Ukraine International Airlines Boeing 737-800 was en route to Kyiv when it went down in a field, killing all aboard. Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Vadym Prystaiko said the plane was carrying 63 Canadians, 82 Iranians, 11 Ukrainian passengers and crew, 10 Swedes, four Afghans, three Germans and three Britons."

"The University of Toronto tweeted: “The #UofT community is deeply saddened by the news of Ukrainian International Airlines flight 752. Our hearts are with those who have been touched by this tragedy. We are working to gather more information.”

Oh my gosh, this seems a horrible coincidence after what's happened this week. Heartbreaking to see that children's book lying in the wreckage.

Why so many Canadians on that flight? Were they military / diplomatic families?
Rbbm.
63 Canadians killed in plane crash near Tehran. Victims include returning university students and professionals, friends say | The Star
"The airline said most passengers were transiting through Kyiv to other destinations. The airline offers an inexpensive connecting flight from Kyiv to Toronto’s Pearson International Airport."

“There are many students on that flight who had gone to Iran over winter holidays,” said Younes Zangiabadi, research director and board member with the Iranian-Canadian Congress, based in Toronto. The route via Ukraine was popular with Canadians because there are no direct flights between Tehran and Toronto, he said."

Justin Trudeau vows to 'get answers' after Ukrainian passenger jet crash in Iran that killed 176, including 63 Canadians, as Tehran refuses to hand over jet's black box

Ukrainian passenger plane carrying 176 people crashes near Tehran | Daily Mail Online

Hopefully all the nations who have citizens who have died will be forceful in getting the black boxes sent to an independent nation and get the answers the victim’s families deserve.

These are the unanswered questions about the crash of a Ukrainian plane in Iran that killed 176 people
"Were there any faults with the plane?

Ukraine International Airlines has sought to distance itself from the possibility that there was a fault with the plane or its crew.

It said in the hours after the crash that the plane was built in 2016 and that it had last completed maintenance checks just two days ago.

It also said that the plane was one of the best in its fleet and had an experienced crew. The airline had never had a fatal flight before.

The airline's vice president of operations, Ihor Sosnovsky, said the airline doubted the crew had made mistakes: "Given the crew's experience, error probability is minimal."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/lond...students-killed-in-iran-plane-crash-1.5419092
"Four Western University students were among the 176 crash victims killed in a Ukrainian International Airlines flight.

"It is with sadness I share that Western is aware of four students who have died in the crash of Ukrainian International Airlines Flight PS752 in Iran last night," Western University President Alan Shepard said in a statement.

"Three were current graduate students and one was an incoming graduate student."
hadis-hayatdavoudi.jpg

Hadis Hayatdavoudi was a PhD student in electrochemistry at Western University. (Supplied)

What we know about the Canadians killed in the Ukrainian plane crash
"The Toronto District School Board confirmed that a grade 10 student at Northern Secondary School lost her life in the crash. In a letter to parents, Maya Zibaie was described as “kind, happy and well-liked by her peers.”

York Region District School Board (YRDSB) tells CityNews there are multiple victims belonging to schools across the region, but didn’t provide specifics, saying an update is forthcoming."

“We have learned, with profound sorrow, that several U of T students were among the 176 people killed in the crash of Ukraine International Airlines flight PS752 in Tehran, Iran,” U of T President Meric Gertler said in a statement.''

Two students enrolled at the University of Waterloo have been confirmed as victims on the ill-fated flight.

Marzieh (Mari) Foroutan and Mansour Esfahani were both PhD students, according to university officials.

The University of Ottawa confirmed that three of its students are also among the victims. Their names were not immediately released.

“We are still trying to assess if any other students, faculty or staff members were also on the plane,” the school said in a statement.

Western University says four of its students died in the crash."

I work at one of the universities that lost some students. I’m also sad for U of G. My father worked there for years and the people are so amazing there. This is heartbreaking. So many students it seems. :(
This is all so devastating.

Several GTA residents, including students in Toronto and York Region, killed in Iran plane crash
In a statement published online on Wednesday morning, The University of Guelph confirmed that two of its students, identified as Ghanimat Azhdari and Milad Ghasemi Ariani, perished in the crash.

image.jpg

Azhdari was pursuing a PhD in the Department of Geography, Environment and Geomatics and Ariani was a PhD student in the Department of Marketing and Consumer Studies.

The university said Azhdari and her partner, who was also killed, were visiting family in Iran over the holidays and were on their way back to Ontario.

“We are deeply saddened to hear of the tragic loss of two of our students,” university president Franco Vaccarino said in a written statement released Wednesday.

“Our thoughts go out to the families of these two students and to anyone else affected by this tragedy. Any loss to our campus community touches all of us.”

Those were 737-MAX. Those planes are still grounded. The 737 is considered one of (if not the) safest planes in the world.

That plane was engulfed in flames 2 minutes after takeoff. I believe there is something more here than "technical difficulties"

Edit to say:
News site in Jordan tweeting it was shot down by a missile on accident.

الحدث
@AlHadath

#إيران — أنباء عن سقوط الطائرة الأوكرانية نتيجة إصابتها بصاروخ إيراني عن طريق الخطأ
Translated from Arabic by
#إيران News of the Ukrainian plane crashing as a result of accidentally injuring an Iranian missile

according to this, there have been two 737-800's crash in the past - 2010 & 2016, same model as this one

Passenger plane crashes in Iran killing 176 people - all you need to know

If it was in fact a missile from Iran that brought the plane down, I doubt we'll ever find that out. Everything possible will be done to make sure it's covered up.

Exactly.

Imo no countries affected will be able to analyze the black box for themselves or other vital information.

The timing of when it happened can't be overlooked. I don't believe in coincidences and certainly dont in this crash.

My heart, and prayers go out to all of the many victims, and their grieving families.

Jmho

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CWM227