Is anyone afraid to search things on the computer now ?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would be more embarrassed than afraid. What if my boss, or even worse my parents, found out that one time I googled Two Girls One Cup* :blushing:

*DO NOT GOOGLE THIS. You have been properly warned.

Not really, but I thought of searching for 'how to make chloroform' to see how easy it is to make it and decided not to just in case LOL. But I know I will never find myself in Casey's position.

I'm totally freaked out about the fact that if I do a search for something, all of a sudden my computer shows ads for that item. That, IMO, is invasion of privacy. Who else is getting the info I am typing into my computer? Who asked me if it was okay to track my computer use? Luckily, the worst I've searched for is pine tar shampoo for my dog, but still. Does anyone else see this happening? Are you bothered by this? I certainly am...it's just creepy.
I've had it happened to me. Drugstore.com is one site that is known to do this. I'll see ads for items I search on drugstore.com when I am browsing other sites. I do think it is creepy. What happens is they install tracking cookies to your computer when you visit their site that transmits information back to them. I use Ad Aware to delete them.

That's why my hdd's have strong encryption on every computer. Not that I really do anything illegal that I know of. It is just a safeguard for me if the computer gets stolen with credit card info, personal information etc.

I am probably waaaayyy to optimistic, but no, I am not afraid at all. I haven't, and won't, commit a heinous crime or even a felony crime. I am not paranoid, nor do I think that in some vague way, I will ever be "framed".

So no, I'm not worried. But I do have a greater respect for what can be discovered by a forensic computer geek :)

I hope that Tricia or mods will vouch for any WS'ers that ever get into trouble, and say that we are members who research stuff and post about it. It would definitely be used against us and cause problems, but I don't care and don't plan to quit reading here since there's nothing wrong with it. I didn't know a WS'er actually made chloroform and proved that it's not that hard, lol. Casey must have made up a batch or even more than one. My husband is older and was put to sleep with chloroform for an appendectomy at age 12. He says that it was the most horrible experience he's ever had due to hallucinating and feeling horrible even though knocked out.

No--I don't worry, although I don't ever do things like go to *advertiser censored* sites or anything that could affext my professional reputation, just as I don't go in person to the local adult entertainment store (as I am in education).

I do think it is smart to have regular practices--that every week or two I clear my cache, my history, and clean my cookies off my desktop computer, the laptop, iPad, etc. It keeps the computers running faster. If you empty the whole cache, you aren't being selctive.

And of course, I am on WS And that supports my interest in crime and not my participation in it...

Spot on-and furthermore, no one would have any reason to ever be looking at my private stuff/searches.
Billie Dunn had a lot of sleuthy type stuff or murder type stuff in her possession, but she also was involved in drugs, child *advertiser censored* and the overall content of the crime stories she collected were over the top, from what I remember. And her daughter ended up not-so-mysteriously missing.

LE would know, based on surrounding circumstances, what the deal is.
Besides, if you think our computers look hinky, imagine what the mods' PC's look like, or Val's, or JWG's, etc. Since we're all interconnected, we'd have to be the biggest "Manson Family" ever!

Ha ha ha ha..... I think I'd just raise my hands and say Your Honor, Call Tricia. :floorlaugh:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back