Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
2m ago
The BBC said its journalists were assaulted and held at gunpoint after they were stopped by Israeli police in Tel Aviv.

Muhannad Tutunji, Haitham Abudiab and the BBC Arabic team were driving to a hotel when they were dragged from their car – marked “TV” in red tape – by police, the corporation said.

Tutunji and Abudiab said they identified themselves as BBC journalists and showed police their press ID cards.

Tutunji said while filming the incident, his phone thrown on the ground and he was struck on the neck.

A BBC spokesperson said:

One of our BBC News Arabic teams deployed in Tel Aviv, in a vehicle clearly marked as media, was stopped and assaulted last night by Israeli police. Journalists must be able to report on the conflict in Israel-Gaza freely.

But isn't this what ' we ' ( I expect most WSers on the Ukraine-Russia threads) would have said was illegal during a war quite recently?
Forced relocation? Am pretty sure it's against Geneva convention or something. ( can't remember exactly, I will go look it up)
I don't think it is illegal to advise non-combatants to leave a war zone, for their well being.

It is a shame Hamas didn't do the same.

Egypt (90% Musilim) must do the right thing and allow temporary entry for those that need a place to go, if needed.

Just my thoughts.

Otis

I don't think it is illegal to advise non-combatants to leave a war zone, for their well being.

Egypt (90% Musilim) must do the right thing and allow temporary entry for those that need a place to go, if needed.

Just my thoughts.

Otis

Crimes against humanity include murder, extermination and deportation or forcible transfer of population “when committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against any civilian population, with knowledge of the attack”.

Just my thoughts.

Otis
it's an order though, not an advisory
an order to leave (or die)

It might be this one:
'forcible transfer of population" is defined as a crime against humanity by the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court'

NEW

Death toll in Gaza rises to 1,900​

The number of people who have been killed in Gaza by Israeli strikes has reached 1,900, according to the Gaza Ministry of Health.

The number of wounded stands at 7,696, according to a spokesman for the ministry.
He added that 60% of the dead and wounded are women and children.

Very true.

But.... there are very important differences between Native Americans and Palestinians:

- Native Americans are all citizens and enjoy full and equal constitutional rights- including Second Amendment rights.

- Native Americans are not subject to harassment, intimidation and various levels of violence by an armed, Government sanctioned and even govt. encouraged movement of non natives (settler movement).

- Native Americans have full freedom of movement anywhere in the US. There are no official "native free" streets, highways, public lands etc. Likewise, there are no unofficial "no go" zones around settlements etc.
Indeed. Native Americans have rights….now. But at much cost and a trail of tears.

The ME is just one big human rights dumpster fire.

I’ll be honest, I had no idea there was even such thing as Palestinian citizenship. I was under the impression they all had citizenship through other countries bc there is no more Palestine. I should do more homework.
That used to be the case.

But, it was later changed as an incentive to the now dead peace process. Also, the Palestinians wore out their welcome in Jordan, so the Jordanians stopped claiming most of them unless they are "grandfathered" in.

As a side note, the US Government) technically does not recognize them as "citizens"- because "citizen" implies "country".

Rather, they are recognized as Nationals of the Palestinian Authority or something like that. Taiwan is the same way.

In the end, however, both Palestinian and Taiwanese "not truly a passport passports" are given the same weight as regular passports.

Just my thoughts.

Otis

Just as you might also say Jordan needs to take them in.

But no one has wanted to take the Palestinian peoples: Not Cairo, not Jordan, not Syria, not Lebanon, not Saudi Arabia, not Kuwait, not Qatar, not Turkey, not Iraq, not even Iran.

There is an abrupt cut off in the anti-Israeli rhetoric that doesn't provide an alternative for lands for these people.

2m ago
The BBC said its journalists were assaulted and held at gunpoint after they were stopped by Israeli police in Tel Aviv.

Muhannad Tutunji, Haitham Abudiab and the BBC Arabic team were driving to a hotel when they were dragged from their car – marked “TV” in red tape – by police, the corporation said.

Tutunji and Abudiab said they identified themselves as BBC journalists and showed police their press ID cards.

Tutunji said while filming the incident, his phone thrown on the ground and he was struck on the neck.

A BBC spokesperson said:

I can easily understand how that could happen. Hamas sent invaders in wearing IDF uniforms. So IDF has to be ready for the unexpected. Just because 2 male Arabs have TV written by red tape on their car, and show press passes, doesn't mean IDF isn't going to be suspicious of the situation. JMO

2m ago

A BBC spokesperson said:

I'm sure tensions are high.. Hamas came in wearing IDF uniforms.. I'm sure they are worried that there are many terrorists still in Israel "blending in" in many ways waiting. I feel for them all. We have no idea what intel the IDF has and what they are looking for or what seems suspicious.. I wouldn't want to be in Israel right now for any reason. I've always had mixed feelings about reporters being in war zones.. on one hand they can show the reality of what his happening.. but they also put themselves and others at risk because it's more people to protect/deal with.

I can easily understand how that could happen. Hamas sent invaders in wearing IDF uniforms. So IDF has to be ready for the unexpected. Just because 2 male Arabs have TV written by red tape on their car, and show press passes, doesn't mean IDF isn't going to be suspicious of the situation. JMO
Exact same thoughts at the same time!

That’s not even the scary part. Polling shows that an overwhelming majority support attacks against civilians.

If I come to your home and punch you in the face, you are likely going to punch me twice or worse. We all know who started this senseless bloodshed. Hamas and others cry for death to Israel. I hope Israel finishes this war and doesn’t look back.

I stand with Israel.

Crimes against humanity include murder, extermination and deportation or forcible transfer of population “when committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against any civilian population, with knowledge of the attack”.

Paint it however you want.

The reality is Hamas is one putting the citizens are at risk by using them as shields.

Unlike Hamas, Israel is trying to not involve civil population but Hamas is acting cowardly and hiding behind citizens.

Again, paint however you want, but I believe Israel is trying to protect citizens while eliminating the true oppressors.

Good evening to all, dinner calls.

Just my thoughts.

Otis

I asked you a simple question about practicality/ feasibility of moving 1.1 million people in 24 hours

we are so doomed!
eta
I meant the human race.
Since all this started 6 days ago, your question is ridiculous. It's been posted over and over again that evacuations started then. 1.1 million people at this point is a wildly inflated number. But of course it sounds better huh?

Paint it however you want.

The reality is Hamas is one putting the citizens are at risk by using them as shields.

Unlike Hamas, Israel is trying to not involve civil population but Hamas is acting cowardly and hiding behind citizens.

Again, paint however you want, but I believe Israel is trying to protect citizens while eliminating the true oppressors.

Good evening to all, dinner calls.

Just my thoughts.

Otis
Israel is being called out for involving the civilian population by numerous organisations and countries.

If I come to your home and punch you in the face, you are likely going to punch me twice or worse. We all know who started this senseless bloodshed. Hamas and others cry for death to Israel. I hope Israel finishes this war and doesn’t look back.

I stand with Israel.
You’re in a lifeboat, surrounded by sharks that want to kill you. That’s Israel.

Just as you might also say Jordan needs to take them in.

But no one has wanted to take the Palestinian peoples: Not Cairo, not Jordan, not Syria, not Lebanon, not Saudi Arabia, not Kuwait, not Qatar, not Turkey, not Iraq, not even Iran.

There is an abrupt cut off in the anti-Israeli rhetoric that doesn't provide an alternative for lands for these people.
Last time Jordan took them in they tried to assassinate their king and killed their prime minister. Black September.

Most countries already have refugee camps - the people are treated horribly on them.

I was talking about some of the people leaving. I'm aware that there are way too many people for everyone. However, large cruise ships can carry 10,000 people comfortably. Using deck space and large rooms even more could be used. As medical treatment at least.
I understood, which is why I considered the 10% figure.
I hope that some respite can be provided.
And I hope my arithmetic error gave you a chuckle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member