Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure how they would get out of Gaza. They can't fly out, they can't go by sea, they can't walk out unless they sneak through the border wall.. seems if they did that they'd now be in Israel.. not the best place to be.

RSBM,

Hamas also has tunnel systems running under the southern border from Gaza to Egypt.

Although some of the weaponry they managed to amass probably came through the Egypt/Gaza border crossings, most probably made it's way in via the Hamas tunnel networks in the south. It certainly didn't make it's way in there via any Israeli/Gaza checkpoint crossings.

Israel-Hamas war live: Netanyahu says Israel will dismantle ‘bloodthirsty monsters’ of Hamas (theguardian.com)
20m ago11.30 EDT
Here is a staff account from a Save the Children staff member currently on the move in Gaza with three children:

"As I write this, I hold onto whatever courage I can muster, although I do not know whether this message will be my last…

No one can fully grasp the extent of the suffering. I have no answers for my three young children about what is to come.

For the first time in my life, I find myself feeling a sense of hopelessness and helplessness, which does not represent who I am…

I have often felt overwhelmed in the past, questioning why I did not make the choice to leave this besieged strip, even if it meant going against my own beliefs. I have questioned why I did not prioritize my family’s future and why I did not have the courage to make this difficult decision. My 10-year-old daughter has already witnessed three large-scale hostilities.

However, I have always answered myself that my deep connection to the land where I was born, raised, and have countless memories - my roots, and the sense of identity as a proud Palestinian, have kept me here.

Today, those questions no longer haunt me. There is no way out of Gaza. There is no safe place in Gaza.

My dream is a simple one – to wake up in the morning with my children in my arms, alive and well, and for this violence to come to an end.

Let us pray for better days ahead."

Israel Gaza live news: Gaza being 'pushed into abyss', UN says, as Israel prepares ground offensive - BBC News

Posted at 8:398:39

US listening to Arab nations in order to avoid conflict spreading​

We've just heard from the top US diplomat Antony Blinken who has been speaking on the tarmac at Cairo Airport as he continues his tour of Arab countries.

He says in recent days he has visited Jordan, Bahrain, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt to "listen" to them and how they are seeing the crisis.

Blinken reiterated the US stands with Israel, but wants to prevent the conflict from spreading. He adds dialogue with diplomats is continuing to work on the release of hostages including US citizens.

"Israel has the right, indeed the obligation, to defend itself and make sure this never happens again," he says.

"The way Israel does this matters," Blinken says as he emphasises the importance of avoiding civilian casualties.

Finally, Blinken says he has appointed former US ambassador to Turkey David Satterfield to lead the humanitarian effort as he emphasises aircraft carriers moving to the Mediterranean should be seen as a deterrent and not a provocation.

It took a week, but the Red Cross is finally demanding that Hamas allow them immediate access to the hostages taken from Israel:

Water back on in southern Gaza - US official
White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan tells CNN that Israeli officials have informed him that water pipes in southern Gaza have been turned back on.

Speaking on CNN's State of the Union, Sullivan says Israeli officials informed him of the development in the last hour.

The Israeli military declared a "complete siege" of Gaza six days ago, with food and water running out across the territory.

Hundreds gather in London for Israel vigil London Vigil
Hundreds of people have gathered at a vigil in central London to commemorate Israeli victims of the Hamas attack last week.

Many were spotted draped in Israeli flags and posters saying "bring them home" with names and faces of hostages captured by Hamas were being handed out to attendees.

Several Metropolitan Police officers could also be seen patrolling the event in Westminster around Parliament Square.

a3ca0c47-42b1-4cce-9715-5160d01a422f.jpg

US listening to Arab nations in order to avoid conflict spreading
We've just heard from the top US diplomat Antony Blinken who has been speaking on the tarmac at Cairo Airport as he continues his tour of Arab countries.

He says in recent days he has visited Jordan, Bahrain, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt to "listen" to them and how they are seeing the crisis.

Blinken reiterated the US stands with Israel, but wants to prevent the conflict from spreading. He adds dialogue with diplomats is continuing to work on the release of hostages including US citizens.

"Israel has the right, indeed the obligation, to defend itself and make sure this never happens again," he says.

"The way Israel does this matters," Blinken says as he emphasises the importance of avoiding civilian casualties.

Finally, Blinken says he has appointed former US ambassador to Turkey David Satterfield to lead the humanitarian effort as he emphasises aircraft carriers moving to the Mediterranean should be seen as a deterrent and not a provocation.US Listening to Arab Nations to Avoid Conflict From Spreading

Is Israel preparing southern Gaza as a safe area for civilians?

From the newsfeed: https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-middle-east-67108364

Last edited:
Israel-Hamas war live updates: Fears for civilians as 'next stages' of Gaza attack loom (cnn.com)
7 min ago

More US attack aircraft arrive in Middle East in a move to bolster defense posture, central command says​

Additional US attack aircraft have arrived in the Middle East as part of a plan to bolster American defense posture in the region, US Air Combat Command announced Sunday.

The deployment of additional A-10 Warthog attack aircraft, along with other US fighter jets, is intended to deter any Iranian aggression or an expansion of the fighting beyond Israel’s borders, a US official previously told CNN.

“A-10s from the 354th EFS have arrived to the US Central Command AOR (Area of Responsibility),” Air Combat Command posted on social media Sunday.

“This arrival bolsters the U.S. defense posture, enhances air operations throughout the Middle East, and reassures our allies and regional partners we remain postured to protect and defend their freedom,” the post added.

Last week, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin announced the US would “augment” its fighter squadrons in the Middle East under US Central Command.

In addition to F-35s and F-15s, Austin also said F-16 and A-10 squadrons in the region would be bolstered.

It took a week, but the Red Cross is finally demanding that Hamas allow them immediate access to the hostages taken from Israel:

That's a step in the right direction, but I think Hamas will resist this to the end. They do not want to admit to the world how the hostages have been treated. I think Hamas will do everything they can to hide the bodies and simultaneously blame Israel.

Reading this 2014 report now - paragliding attack plans are not new :(

Shin Bet: Hamas was building tunnels and planning attacks while receiving aid from other countries​

After Israeli forces captured and interrogated a Hamas terrorist who had been hiding in a tunnel for three weeks, he revealed that Hamas members had also undergone training to execute terrorist attacks from the air. The prisoner told security forces he had been sent to Malaysia to learn how to carry out an attack by paragliding.

The prisoner served as commander of a cell in Hamas' Nukhba ("Elite") commando force. He was arrested on July 20 and transferred to the Shin Bet security agency for questioning. He told agents that he had been waiting in the tunnel three weeks for his orders and received only occasional supplies of water and dates. After three weeks, he said, he broke down and turned himself in.

Interrogators discovered that the unit the prisoner belonged to was planning to employ paragliding techniques to commit a terrorist attack in one of the Israeli communities bordering Gaza.

The latest threat from Hamas: Paragliding terrorists

6:45 pm

Palestinians say water in Gaza not yet restored despite Israeli promise

Palestinians in the Gaza Strip say water has not yet been restored despite an Israeli commitment to do so.

US national security adviser Jake Sullivan told CNN that Israeli officials told him they had turned the water back on in southern Gaza. Israel’s minister of energy and water, Israel Katz, said in a statement that water had been restored at a “specific point” in Gaza, but does not give further details.

Aid workers in Gaza say they had not yet seen evidence the water was back and a spokesperson for the Hamas-controlled government in Gaza said it was not flowing.

RSBM,

Hamas also has tunnel systems running under the southern border from Gaza to Egypt.

Although some of the weaponry they managed to amass probably came through the Egypt/Gaza border crossings, most probably made it's way in via the Hamas tunnel networks in the south. It certainly didn't make it's way in there via any Israeli/Gaza checkpoint crossings.

But wouldn't Israel be able to track that now and watch for people leaving Gaza in those tunnels? What does Egypt do about these tunnels? If they do nothing, I feel that is aiding terrorists.

Israel-Hamas war live updates: Dire humanitarian crisis grips Gaza, Israel readies ground attack (nbcnews.com)
4m ago / 9:00 AM PDT

U.S. Sec. of State Anthony Blinken called for Arab nations to work together and the normalization of relations after a last-minute six-country tour in the Middle East.

Speaking with reporters in Egypt, Blinken said there are "two very different visions for the future and what the Middle East can and should be."

"There’s a vision that we very strongly espouse that has countries in the region, normalizing their relations, integrating working together in common purpose and upholding and bringing forth the rights and aspirations of the Palestinian people," Blinken said.

"There’s another vision that Hamas has demonstrated in the most horrific way," Blinken continued. "And that’s the vision of death, of destruction, of nihilism of terrorism. That’s a vision that does nothing to advance aspirations for Palestinians."

After meeting with leaders in leaders in Israel, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Qatar this week, Blinken concluded that "everyone I talked to" believed in the former path he laid out for reporters.

"We have to get through this crisis first. And we’re working to do that," he said. "But we also have to get back in a very clear, practical way to that vision to making it real."

"If we do that. Everyone in this region will be in a much better place and so will they the rest of the world," Blinken added.

Blinken also reiterated that Israel has the "obligation to defend itself," just over a week after Hamas committed a deadly assault on the country.

"As I said, and Tel Aviv as President Biden has said, the way Israel does this matters," Blinken said. "It needs to do it in a way that affirms the shared values that we have for human life and human dignity, taking every possible precaution to avoid harming civilians."

Does anyone share my puzzlement at the idea of Israel attempting to eliminate Hamas by telling them exactly what they are planning to do days before they plan to carry out their plan. First of all, the Hamas leaders have plenty of time to get out of Gaza and why wouldn't they? The reason Hamas was so horrifically successful was the element of surprise: there is sure no surprise here. I also have a problem with murdering so many innocent citizens of Gaza to carry out a plan which to me is really very questionable. I also recognize that there are a lot of citizens of Gaza who want to wipe Israel off the map. I understand the idea of vengence- Israel right now is seeing red- blood red after what was done to their innocent citizens: I just don't know if this is the best plan to eliminate Hamas (is that even possible?). Also, they could be going into a trap----
Hamas has large caches of weapons and a tunnel network on northern Gaza. They will not abandon these resource.

The IDF hopes that telling the civilians to move south will help limit civilian casualties in the next stage of the war. The IDF will probably start by securing the open area just north of the Wadi, splitting Gaza in two. They will then search for and destroy any Hamas forces or assets in Northern Gaza.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow