Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex Danzig, 75, a scholar and historian of the Holocaust, was at his home in Nir Oz, a kibbutz in southern Israel that is close to Gaza, when it was attacked by Hamas on 7 October. "We know for sure he was kidnapped," his son Mati told the BBC. Alex - whose older sister Edith is a Holocaust survivor - has spent the last 30 years working for Yad Vashem, Israel's Holocaust remembrance centre. His disappearance has triggered a campaign for his release, both in Israel and in Poland, the country of his birth.
Alex Danzig lecturing
IMAGE SOURCE, MATI DANZIG
Image caption,
Alex Danzig has spent decades educating people about the Holocaust

Rsbm
  • ''US President Joe Biden began a speech Thursday evening to Americans by saying that "we're facing an inflection point in history" amid the ongoing war in Israel.
    He went on to renew his promise of getting American hostages home to America.

• ''NOW: US President Joe Biden is delivering a primetime address from the White House to make the case to continue funding Israel and Ukraine during their war efforts. The remarks come one day after the president traveled to Tel Aviv and brokered a Gaza aid agreement between Egypt and Israel.
  • The countries have signaled readiness for aid to begin moving into the enclave, however, the Rafah crossing is not expected to open Friday for a convoy of vital humanitarian aid to enter Gaza from Egypt, multiple sources told CNN, despite expectations voiced by Biden and others that it would be open. US officials now expect the first convoy of humanitarian aid will cross the border this weekend.
  • Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel will allow aid to enter Gaza via Egypt, but it will not let supplies enter the enclave from its own territory until Hamas releases all hostages.
  • The World Health Organization said earlier Thursday that trucks of medical aid are "ready to go" at the border between Gaza and Egypt.''

Full address/ The White House/ 38 minutes ago

—-

Also, 8 hours ago:

Last edited:
oct 19, 2023 #Israel #Gaza #Palestine
Israel’s Defense Minister told troops they would soon see Gaza “from the inside,” signaling a potential Israeli ground operation could come soon. NBC News' Richard Engel reports from Israel on fears of a widening war in the Middle East and the growing humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

• ''US President Joe Biden began a speech Thursday evening to Americans by saying that "we're facing an inflection point in history" amid the ongoing war in Israel.

• ''NOW: US President Joe Biden is delivering a primetime address from the White House to make the case to continue funding Israel and Ukraine during their war efforts. The remarks come one day after the president traveled to Tel Aviv and brokered a Gaza aid agreement between Egypt and Israel.
  • The countries have signaled readiness for aid to begin moving into the enclave, however, the Rafah crossing is not expected to open Friday for a convoy of vital humanitarian aid to enter Gaza from Egypt, multiple sources told CNN, despite expectations voiced by Biden and others that it would be open. US officials now expect the first convoy of humanitarian aid will cross the border this weekend.
  • Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel will allow aid to enter Gaza via Egypt, but it will not let supplies enter the enclave from its own territory until Hamas releases all hostages.
  • The World Health Organization said earlier Thursday that trucks of medical aid are "ready to go" at the border between Gaza and Egypt.''
I congratulate him for stating that the hospital attack was not done by Israel as that was unexpected, at least for me. JMO

South First Responders

Massacre at the Nova Nature Party (Re'em).
This widely-published image, showing masses of Israeli youth escaping Hamas terrorists attacking the Nova Nature Party, is among the most well known of the attacks.
We will soon be
posting new footage obtained from a Hamas toyota dashcam that shows the other side of this scene, where hoards of Hamas fighters fired automatic weapons from the nearby roadway into the youth as they fled through the fields.

Warning: Graphic Footage / Scene

Additional footage that reveals more atrocities at the Nova Nature Party will continue to be posted.

Links to Alternate Language Sources:

This I believe. I'd wondered if those (mostly) young men were encouraged or required to take some substance to decrease inhibitions, etc. That would explain (imo) how they were able to be so unusually brutal in their actions. I'm wondering how they felt when the drugs wore off...

I wish I could believe that if they took drugs to enable them to commit these atrocities, that they were afterwards tormented with remorse.

But I don’t think that is true.

They trained for this for a long time, and it would seem they took these drugs, if they were on drugs, voluntarily and intentionally so their energy and intent would not flag.

IMO

Omri Miran, 46, was abducted by Hamas militants after his family opened the door to their secure shelter to an Israeli child, who said he would be killed otherwise. Omri's wife, Lishay Lavi, said she saw him being taken away in handcuffs with three other hostages from the Nahal Oz kibbutz.
A family photo of Omri and Lishay Lavi, smiling towards the camera with a ferris wheel behind them

Image caption,
Lishay Lavi said she saw her husband, Omri Miran, taken away in handcuffs by Hamas militants

One of the peace activists I read about, Vivian Silver.

Vivian Silver, right, with Ariella Giniger at March for Peace, in Jerusalem, on Oct. 4.
Vivian Silver, right, with Ariella Giniger at March for Peace, in Jerusalem, on Oct. 4, 2023.Courtesy Tamar Matsafi—Women Wage Peace

“To those who know her, it is a painful irony that Vivian Silver, 74, was kidnapped by Hamas and apparently taken into the Gaza Strip. Diminutive, her gray hair cropped short, she is known among activists in Israel and abroad for her seemingly never-ending energy, commitment, and creative efforts to promote peace with Palestinians and equality between Jews and Arabs within Israel.

Silver is long-time member of Kibbutz Be'eri, only a few kilometers from the border with the Gaza Strip in southern Israel. In the early morning on Oct. 7, as terrorists invaded the kibbutz, Silver, who is widowed and lives alone, hid behind a closet in her safe room and began texting family and friends. At 11:07, her son, Yonatan Zeigen, who lives with his wife and three children in Tel Aviv, texted her, “I am with you.”

“I feel you,” Silver responded.”

*much more at above link

Great article, thanks for posting @fred&edna

—-

“Vivian Silver, 74, a renowned peace campaigner, has been missing since Saturday morning. Her last communication was to say that her home in Kibbutz Be'eri was under attack.”

More from article about peace activist Vivian Silver via @fred&edna

“Silver retired a few years ago, but remained active, including in Road to Recovery, an Israeli NGO that enlists Israeli volunteers to drive Palestinian patients who require medical treatment from the border to Israeli hospitals. Most prominently, she was also a founding member of the Israeli-Palestinian Women Wage Peace (WWP) movement, established in late 2014. “She is acutely aware of women's historic role to change reality and challenge accepted thinking,” says Yael Admi, who helped to co-found WWP with Silver. “In founding WWP, she was challenging the prevalent paradigm that only war will bring us security. As a woman, she knows that war will only bring more war, and only peace will bring us security."

Vivian Silver, left, with Susan Levinstein, right, in fields near Kibbutz Be'eri.
Vivian Silver, left, with Susan Levinstein, right, in fields near Kibbutz Be'eri. Courtesy Susan Levinstein

[…]

“Her friends, family, and supporters all agree that Israel's current attack on Gaza is not what Silver would want. "I am sure she would not want the violence to continue, certainly not in her name or in the name of saving her and the other hostages," Giniger says. Albaz says that he tries to console himself with a fantasy. "I see Vivian being held with a group of other hostages, trying to convince their captors that this is not the right way. And she's probably already divided them all into break-out groups, so they can talk about how to make the situation better for everyone."”

I wish I could believe that if they took drugs to enable them to commit these atrocities, that they were afterwards tormented with remorse.

But I don’t think that is true.

They trained for this for a long time, and it would seem they took these drugs, if they were on drugs, voluntarily and intentionally so their energy and intent would not flag.

IMO
Basically they were on speed.
I am surprised about fentanyl though. That's really weird. I take pain meds (codeine) and they make me kinda hyper.
One time, my back locked and I was paralyzed for 12 hrs and was taken to the ER via EMS. I told them to give me sedatives and no opioids. They gave me fentanyl against my protests. I was in la-la land. I walked out of the ER. They might as well have given me sedatives.

oct 19, 2023 #Israel #Gaza #Palestine
Israel’s Defense Minister told troops they would soon see Gaza “from the inside,” signaling a potential Israeli ground operation could come soon. NBC News' Richard Engel reports from Israel on fears of a widening war in the Middle East and the growing humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

At the 3 minute mark, the NBC reporter says the photos were taken by the NBC news crew and "are not propaganda from Hamas...or anyone else."

I think Biden has made it pretty clear the U.S. doesn't want to widen the war in the Middle East.

JMO

Did not find a name atm, but apparently the family has been taken hostage.
''This is one of those videos we wish we didn’t have to share.

An Israeli child is executed in front of her siblings and parents who are currently being held hostage by Hamas.

If this isn’t pure evil, nothing is.

Please help us make sure the world knows what is happening. pic.twitter.com/soOloHPDFA

— Israel ישראל (@Israel) October 8, 2023''
Bbm.
Hamas did this in front of her parents and siblings ??
:mad: :mad: :mad:
Must sit on my hands so as not to type what I'm thinking.

That poor dear family.

As horrifying as these videos are, it's important that they are uploaded and shared because too many disgusting naysayers are going to try to refute many atrocities that Hamas themselves filmed and carried out !

Omo.

Basically they were on speed.
I am surprised about fentanyl though. That's really weird. I take pain meds (codeine) and they make me kinda hyper.
One time, my back locked and I was paralyzed for 12 hrs and was taken to the ER via EMS. I told them to give me sedatives and no opioids. They gave me fentanyl against my protests. I was in la-la land. I walked out of the ER. They might as well have given me sedatives.
I need to catch up on this thread! Drugs? Fentanyl!!!?? Wouldn’t surprise me. But I also tend to think if they took anything - it would be amphetamines or methamphetamines because both make you hyper focused on your task.

I did see a report on CNN where one of the survivors being interviewed said he thought the Hamas attackers were on drugs and there was “nothing” in their eyes.

1hr ago

Biden in address to nation: ‘Hamas, Putin aim to annihilate neighboring democracies’

US President Joe Biden begins his address to the nation from the Oval Office on the ongoing Gaza and Ukraine wars declaring, “We’re facing an inflection point in history, one of those moments where the decisions we make today are going to determine the future for decades to come.”

Biden recaps his recent trip to Israel, highlighting his meetings with Israeli leaders and with the families of those held hostage in Gaza.

“As President, there is no higher priority for me than the safety of Americans held hostage,” he says.

“The Jewish people know perhaps better than anyone, that there’s no limit to the depravity of people who want to inflict pain on others in Israel,” Biden laments.

Biden says he also spoke with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and reiterated that the “US
remains committed to the Palestinian people’s right to dignity and to self determination.”

“The actions of Hamas don’t take that right away,” he asserts.

“I’m heartbroken by the tragic loss of Palestinian life, including the explosion at the hospital in Gaza, which was not done by the Israelis,” he says, reiterating that the IDF was not responsible, despite Hamas claims to the contrary.

He then likens the Gaza conflict to the one in Ukraine, saying, “Hamas and Putin represent different threads. But they share this in common: They both want neighboring democracy completely annihilated.”

1hr ago

‘A smart investment that’ll pay dividends’: Biden asks Congress to boost Israel, Ukraine support

Addressing the nation, US President Joe Biden says he will be submitting an urgent request tomorrow for Congress to “fund America’s national security needs to support our critical partners, including Israel and Ukraine.”

“It is a smart investment that’s going to pay dividends for American security for generations,” he asserts.

“It will help us keep American troops out of harm’s way,” Biden explains, indicating that the defense aid to both countries will be instead of sending US troops to fight in either war.

“We do not seek to have American troops fighting in Russia or fighting against Russia,” he says separately, notably not ruling out the possibility of US troops getting involved in the Gaza war.

Two officials familiar with the matter told The Times of Israel yesterday that the Biden officials have indicated to Israel in recent days that if Hezbollah initiates a war against Israel, the US military will join the IDF in fighting the terror group, the officials said without elaborating.

The aid will “help us build a world that is safer, more peaceful, more prosperous for our children and grandchildren,” Biden says in the address to the nation.

“American alliances are what keep us America safe. American values are what make us a partner nations want to work with. To put all that at risk if we walk away from Ukraine or if we turn our backs on Israel — it’s just not worth it,” Biden asserts.

“In Israel, we’re going to make sure that they have what they need to protect their people today and always,” Biden says.

“The security package I’m sending to Congress… is an unprecedented commitment to Israel’s security that will sharpen Israel’s qualitative military edge, which we’ve committed [upholding].”

“We’re going to make sure Iron Dome continues to guard the skies over Israel. We’re going to make sure other hostile actors in the region know that Israel is stronger than ever and prevent this conflict from spreading,” he says.

“At the same time, [Prime Minister] Netanyahu and I discussed again yesterday, the critical need for Israel to operate by the laws of war. That means protecting civilians in combat as best as they can,” Biden clarifies.

Tying the two conflicts together again, Biden maintains that “Iran is supporting Russia in Ukraine, and it’s supporting Hamas and other terrorist groups in the region.

“We will continue to hold them accountable,” he asserts.

“The United States and our partners across the region are working to build a better future for the Middle East — One where the Middle East is more stable and better connected to its neighbors through innovative projects like the India-Middle East-Europe Economic Corridor.”

Live updates: Israel-Hamas war rages as Biden delivers Oval Office address (cnn.com)
34 min ago

2 additional American citizens identified as among those kidnapped and taken to Gaza​

Two additional American citizens, Judih Weinstein Haggai, 70, and her husband, Gadi Haggai, 72, are being counted by Israeli officials as being kidnapped, their daughter told CNN.

Iris Haggai-Liniado says her parents were on their morning walk about a mile and a half from their home in Nir Oz, a kibbutz just a few miles from the Gaza border when they heard an extraordinary number of rockets flying overhead.

The couple hit the dirt and tried to call for help as rockets blasted in from Gaza and gunfire could be heard in the distance. That was the last moment Iris heard from her parents.

The Haggai family says Israeli military officials and police finally spoke to them earlier this week and confirmed signals from her parents’ mobile phones were last pinpointed in Gaza.

After hours of frantically calling her parents and trying to get information from others in the community of Nir Oz, Iris said she and her family finally heard from a local paramedic who was trying to get help to them.

“He said that my mom called him at 7:04 a.m., she said that they were both shot by terrorists on a motorcycle, that my Dad is shot really bad, and she thinks he might be dead and that she needs medical assistance,” said Haggai-Liniado, in an interview with CNN Thursday from her home in Singapore.
“It’s just chaos basically, I don’t think anyone really knows how to handle this,” she said, adding the scope of the tragedy and the horrific atrocities committed in her Kibbutz of Nir Oz are hard to fathom.

Haggai-Liniado says her parents are an amazing couple who were committed to peace throughout their lives.

Haggai-Liniado said her mother was born in New York but grew up in Toronto before moving to Israel in her 20s where she met and married Gadi. The family has not been in touch with the Canadian government, she said, but remains in near-daily contact with US officials, including the FBI, which is providing them some comfort. They participated in a virtual call with US President Joe Biden last week, she added.
“It is nice to know that your parents are recognized somewhere because at this time we didn't hear from the Israeli government for days,” said Haggai-Liniado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmab