Italy - Emanuela Orlandi, 15, Rome, 22 June 1983

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think (most of) her family knows Emanuela's death won't ever be solved :(
Have you ever noticed that the accent of 《l'americano》is absolutely not anglo-saxon?

Ever since the beginning, someone nicknamed the speaker as 《l'americano》for his anglo-saxon accent. And since then, investigators have been searching in an anglo-saxon direction.

Wrong.

You're right Chiatos :)
I'm not into conspiracy theories but I think there's some "spy story" behind this case. Somebody tried to hinder investigations

The Vatican City State court officially has closed its investigation into the possibility that some of remains found in a Vatican cemetery belonged to a teenage woman missing for more than 30 years.

This is because all of the human bones found last summer were at least 100 years old.

A statement from the Vatican press office April 30 said that the judge's decision still would allow the family of the young woman, Emanuela Orlandi, "to proceed privately with possible additional tests on some of the fragments already found and preserved in sealed containers" at the Vatican police office.

Vatican closes case on missing woman

The Vatican City State court officially has closed its investigation into the possibility that some of remains found in a Vatican cemetery belonged to a teenage woman missing for more than 30 years.

This is because all of the human bones found last summer were at least 100 years old.

A statement from the Vatican press office April 30 said that the judge's decision still would allow the family of the young woman, Emanuela Orlandi, "to proceed privately with possible additional tests on some of the fragments already found and preserved in sealed containers" at the Vatican police office.

Vatican closes case on missing woman
There are new developments.
In response to the Vatican's position concerning the age of all the bones, apparently some bones seem to be of a much later date.
The Orlandi family has already requested a lab to analyse and date these bones and depending on the outcome, to analyse further on DNA.
The first results are due sometime in September.
Emanuela Orlandi, la famiglia farà analizzare i frammenti trovati nel Cimitero Teutonico. "Se ci saranno le condizioni anche Dna" - Il Fatto Quotidiano

Emanuela Orlandi: New evidence suggests gang member confessed to 1983 kidnap of Italian teen
Interesting development, for the one to have ordered the kidnap seems to have been De Pedis. Emanuela was then handed over to S. Virtù (in Rome's EUR district), right hand and chauffeur of De Pedis.

Apparently Virtù confessed his involvement in a recorded phone conversation with his girl friend in December 2009.
Upon which LE questioned him, but he denied that the recorded voice was his. LE closed all investigations towards Virtù in 2015. And now Pietro Orlandi and Sgrò want the case to be reopend based on all this new information. (It's 2022 for Pete's sake!)

Why on earth didn't LE carry out any voice verification analysis?
Why on earth did LE choose to believe Virtù's lies?

Nega di essere lui l’uomo che si sente nella telefonata, nonostante fosse a lui riconducibile l’utenza intercettata” riferiscono gli investigatori.
According to the investigators, "Virtù denies being the man recorded in the phone conversation, notwithstanding the fact that the recorded conversation leeds directly to him".

How much reluctance can one take?
De Pedis was a member of Opus Dei ....

A documentary series about Emanuela's disappearance is being released on Netflix on October 20th.

"The four-part “Vatican Girl” probes the case through new interviews with the Orlandi family and witnesses whom a Netflix statement says have never been heard before. “These new voices paint a picture of a dark web of secrets kept hidden at any cost,” the statement says."

This Netflix show was a frustrating watch for me. Each story, each version, each report was told in such a dramatic drawn-out fashion with no evidence whatsoever. By the time the female lawyer came aboard to tell yet another theory in yet more drama…I had checked out. I wish the story had been told much more matter of factly and with much more evidence, testing, proof explained.

This Netflix show was a frustrating watch for me. Each story, each version, each report was told in such a dramatic drawn-out fashion with no evidence whatsoever. By the time the female lawyer came aboard to tell yet another theory in yet more drama…I had checked out. I wish the story had been told much more matter of factly and with much more evidence, testing, proof explained.

It was definitely weird. So much time spent flushing out conspiracy theories with Orlandi and then they just quickly glanced over in about a minute that they presented the likely solution/murderer for the Mirella Gregori case.

The psychiatrist at the end of the 3rd episode nailed it when he said that the simplest solution is probably the correct one, meaning that these were pretty straight-ahead abductions/sex crimes.

And yeah. They probably had Gregori's killer onscreen for most of that 3rd episode. Accetti was probably the 'second American' - his voice matches forensically, and his story of nearly being caught is extremely specific and identical to the story from the police captain (unlike his vague stories about the Orlandi kidnapping). He's been diagnosed as a narcissistic sociopath, and has had a string of unsettling events involving minors follow him around for decades. My guess would be that abducted and murdered Gregori, and then couldn't believe his luck when a second girl disappeared in very similar fashion and then started making phone calls to try and tie his victim to the Orlandi case and mis-direct authorities.

I'd lean toward Orlandi being a similar story, but I can't make sense of why the ransom demands happened.

Orlandi was probably dead within hours of being abducted or the 'kidnappers' would have provided actual conclusive proof she was alive.

3 Nov 2022

Caso Orlandi, Calenda: «L’Italia pretenda dal Vaticano la verità»​

Italian politician and member of the European Parliament, Mr. Calenda, is asking the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to demand the truth from the Vatican in relation to the disappearance of Emanuela Orlandi.
According to Calenda Italy has the duty to claim the truth about her disappearance.

Can anyone make heads or tails of the Avon job offer? I haven't watched the documentary yet. Is it believed the job offer was a ruse? If so, was the person who made the offer at the bus stop (the unidentified girl/woman who was there?) or the person driving the car?

From your link:

”Diddi confirmed the reopening of the investigation to LaPresse after it was first reported by the news agency Adnkronos, which said “all files, documents, reports, information and testimonies” connected to the case would be re-examined in order to clarify an array of questions and “leave no stone unturned”.

Furthermore, the investigation will focus on the case of Mirella Gregori, who was also 15 when she disappeared in Rome weeks before Orlandi after telling her mother she was going on a date. It has long been believed that there could be a connection between the two disappearances.”

hopefully, the re- opening of the investigation will provide both families with some answers…
It must be haunting not to know,what happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adr5879
Back