Jana Duggar Charged With Endangering the Welfare of a Minor, Sept 2021 *Guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I’m thinking they got kitchen trays and were sledding down the stairs. Someone was gonna get hurt, especially if there were 22 of them with only one adult.

But, come to think of it, would only the “babysitter” be liable for charges in that case, or would all of the parents as well as JimBobby and Michelle? They would all be negligent for having only one babysitter, surely?

Any of the rumors seem unlikely to create charges (as opposed to a warning or a ticket). I’m thinking the channel had to be from an obligated reporter, like a physician.

If I were poor Jana, I’d probably have unconscious fantasies about acting on how difficult my position was, and it might be difficult to contain those or slip up from the pressure of the fantasy. I could imagine it being extremely difficult not to take it out on something or someone.
I have a lot of room for empathy here…
What makes you think "the children got kitchen trays and were sledding down the stairs"....all 22 of them?... while in the care of one babysitter? Was that referenced in the channel you referred to?

Amy Duggar backs cousin Jana after Josh was found guilty of child *advertiser censored* charges | Daily Mail Online

Amy Duggar King took to social media Saturday to issue support for her cousin, Jana Duggar, who is battling a child endangerment charge in Arkansas, hours after the family was hit by the child *advertiser censored* conviction of Josh Duggar.

'I will call out what is right and I will call out what is wrong,' Amy, 35, wrote in an Instagram Story referring to Jana on Saturday, December 11. 'This couldn't have been intentional. Thank God the child was OK and found!'

She went to say that Jana was watching multiple children at the time of the incident and was likely exhausted. Further details of the allegations against Duggar have yet to emerge, although they'll likely be explained when she heads to court next month.

I bet you were exhausted, stressed and just emotionally worn out,' Amy said. 'Watching multiple kids is hard! Bc there's so many of them and you only have two eyes! It's a very sad situation going on and my heart goes out to @janamduggar love you.'

I wasn't sure if I could post this here or not, but I was referring to this.

At last I heard they did. The grandmother drowned in it, Jana found her.

Just to clarify, the pool Mary Duggar drowned in was on her house, not the Duggar's compound. It was a Duggar-owned property, but not the big house.

I’m thinking they got kitchen trays and were sledding down the stairs. Someone was gonna get hurt, especially if there were 22 of them with only one adult.

But, come to think of it, would only the “babysitter” be liable for charges in that case, or would all of the parents as well as JimBobby and Michelle? They would all be negligent for having only one babysitter, surely?

Any of the rumors seem unlikely to create charges (as opposed to a warning or a ticket). I’m thinking the channel had to be from an obligated reporter, like a physician.

If I were poor Jana, I’d probably have unconscious fantasies about acting on how difficult my position was, and it might be difficult to contain those or slip up from the pressure of the fantasy. I could imagine it being extremely difficult not to take it out on something or someone.
I have a lot of room for empathy here…

those 22 grandchildren all have their own set of parents so it's doubtful that they would all be at the house being babysat by only Jana

To be honest, I did consider that, but I don't think the Duggars would want to use Jana in particular as a tool to take the spotlight off Josh. She is too valuable to the parents for the running of the household and taking care of the kids. They have other daughters (and sons) outside of the home who they could use as a pawn to divert attention away from Josh for lower risk. (Believe me, this is something I mulled over a lot in my head.) I think it was a legitimate mistake or lapse of judgment on Jana's part.
To clarify, I don’t think they chose jana or set her up. I just find it interesting that the incident happened in September, but doesn’t become public until the day or the day after Josh is found guilty.

To clarify, I don’t think they chose jana or set her up. I just find it interesting that the incident happened in September, but doesn’t become public until the day or the day after Josh is found guilty.

I actually think Jana's case might have been found out when people went searching online to see Josh's booking info after his verdict, and maybe someone inadvertently found Jana's data and it became public then. So -- connected in a way, due to public online searches, but not intentionally connected by the family or by the legal system.

My speculation only...

When you say the channel had to be from a mandated reporter (i.e. a physician, etc.), do you mean a mandated reporter may have reported Jana for neglect, or something like that?
Snipped for focus

Yes, I'm thinking the channel was someone like a physician in an ER, someone who was required to report.
I don't buy the idea that a child ran off....I just think that wouldn't have involved a ticket, and it would require some kind of authority to turn Jana in, unless it happened on a regular basis. Most people, IMO, can kinda understand a child on the lam, so I'm not sure they'd report. IMO they're more likely to return a child to the source, and maybe give the caretaker a lecture.
I suppose it could also be something like chronic diaper rash, but you'd think a parent would be charged for that, not Jana.
So, I'm leaning towards "accident that required a mandatory reporter's intervention". Let's see, from experience, imagination, and empathy:
--trying to fly off the roof with umbrellas (my brother and I planned this once, so I can totally see it)
--kitchen-tray sledding down the stairs
--hanging off the railing; one kid hangs another off
--jumping on the beds and incidentally flying off
--one kid tries to choke another
--they were eating toadstools in the yard
--they were playing with matches
--they found a secret bourbon stash, got drunk, and no one knew why they were falling all over the place; the truth was revealed in the ER
--someone got stabbed with a knitting needle
--they all start brawling while Jana is getting a rare soak in the tub
--a kid put their hand on the stove because they didn't understand "hot"
--J put 5 kids in the tub together so she'd only have to deal with one bathing session and one splashed-all-over floor; someone slipped on said floor
--3 kids locked themselves in a closet, and Jana was so fed up with them, she didn't retrieve the key from the Twinkie box in the pantry; alternatively, she locked them in the closet herself, and they all got sore throats from screaming; then, when they went to the doctor, they said, "Jana did it".
Endless possible ways to end up in the ER when there are a bunch of kids...... All would have my empathy for Jana.

IMO it was easy to get the idea from their TV show that (except Josh), they all got along. But maybe someone or other was actually every day batting at the mobile, to use @mickey2942 's metaphor. And AFAIK we don't know if the grandkids get along.

Last edited:
What makes you think "the children got kitchen trays and were sledding down the stairs"....all 22 of them?... while in the care of one babysitter? Was that referenced in the channel you referred to?
I prefaced my idea with "I'm thinking..."
The "channel " I was referring to was a term someone else applied to my idea that a report to LE from a mandatory reporter such as a physician could be a source for charges.

I don't buy the idea that a child ran off....I just think that wouldn't have involved a ticket, and it would require some kind of authority to turn Jana in, unless it happened on a regular basis. Most people, IMO, can kinda understand a child on the lam, so I'm not sure they'd report. IMO they're more likely to return a child to the source, and maybe give the caretaker a lecture.

I'm not sure if I agree with this. If it was a 6+ y/o, there might not be much concern, but if it was a toddler wandering the streets, I can imagine that it would be easy (and logical) for any random person who happened upon the child to call police and say "Hey, there's this unattended 3 y/o wandering around on xyz drive, can you check on him/her?" And a random person driving or walking through could easily have no idea whose child it is, or if this was what happened, it may not even have been a Duggar grandchild, just some random kid. So it's hard to say. If I saw a random toddler wandering around the street, I would try to get the child in a safe place and call the police.

Maybe the best plan for this family would be to send kids to school!

You said it, not me!

I'm not sure if I agree with this. If it was a 6+ y/o, there might not be much concern, but if it was a toddler wandering the streets, I can imagine that it would be easy (and logical) for any random person who happened upon the child to call police and say "Hey, there's this unattended 3 y/o wandering around on xyz drive, can you check on him/her?" And a random person driving or walking through could easily have no idea whose child it is, or if this was what happened, it may not even have been a Duggar grandchild, just some random kid. So it's hard to say. If I saw a random toddler wandering around the street, I would try to get the child in a safe place and call the police.
This definitely sounds plausible. It might have showed up on someone’s Ring, too.
I suppose she could also have put way too many kids in a mini van to go to Walmart or something. I could totally see someone calling that in, and Walmart has cameras for verification…
There are sooo many things that can go wrong if you have to caretake a lot of kids. IME

A child wandered away.

Jana Duggar's Cousin Amy Defends Her After She's Charged With Endangering Welfare of a Minor

In her message, Amy alleged that "the child was okay and found" but didn't provide additional details.

"I will call out what is right and I will call out what is wrong," Amy wrote. "This couldn't have been intentional."

She added, "I bet you were exhausted, stressed and just emotionally worn out. Watching multiple kids is hard! Bc there's so many of them and you only have two eyes!! It's a very sad situation going on and my heart goes out to @janamduggar love you."

Last edited:
Well, since it's pretty much confirmed by Amy, I'm going with the child wandering away. Which is honestly not great, but pretty understandable, and I can't judge her too much for it. At least the child was safe and unharmed, that's what really matters. I am glad that the child was presumably found by a good Samaritan who made sure they were OK.

Well, since it's pretty much confirmed by Amy, I'm going with the child wandering away. Which is honestly not great, but pretty understandable, and I can't judge her too much for it. At least the child was safe and unharmed, that's what really matters. I am glad that the child was presumably found by a good Samaritan who made sure they were OK.

I guess Amy would be in a position to know.

IMO, as I know I've stated previously, a 31-year old woman who has never been married and has no children should never have been been put into this situation.

If her parents wanted to have 19 kids, great, their business, as long as they can provide for them all.

Apparently they’re able to care for them financially, but childcare for everyone has increasingly been Jana’s burden.

I do remember watching the show in the earlier years, and Jana was part of a team with her three other older sisters. They had their buddy groups, which weren’t overwhelming (though still, IMO, not necessarily fair to the older kids). Once the three other older girls were married, and then the much younger sister also got married, AFAIK all womanly chores fell on Jana.

I don’t know if she had to watch the grandchildren or not, as they have their own parents. And yes the youngest Duggar child is not a baby anymore, so I have no idea what child she was watching. I think Jana has likely been supervising children for 20 years, perhaps, and that is exhausting.

No one wants to see a child endangered, and thankfully apparently the child was unharmed, but IMO Jana needs a break!

I’d love to see her married and out of the house, have maybe 2 or 3 kids of her own, and be responsible for only them. Right now, to me, this falls into the “no good deed goes unpunished” category.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679
Back