Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Status #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know who Ken Joseph is that asked "where are the Americans" but he's reported as a professor and that means he has enough formal education to know that as industrialized as Japan is that we can't just walk in there.

We can't send recon to assess any damage. We can't send large groups of rescue teams by air or allow our troops to disembark from a ship onto Japanese soil---without express permission from the govn.

We just can't. Where are we? We're waiting for the go ahead. We're trickling in as we can.

We are right there as always. We never waver. Where are the Germans? French? Italians? British? Australians? African Countries? (Too many on that continent to list but one did pledge help) and ever more importantly where is China and other Asian countries? India? The list goes on and on.

I'll bet anything someone turns this around and blames the US for not being there and doing more after this disaster. JMHO.

All JMHO.

BBM. Thanks for this post. I told my friend in Japan when he asked. I said we are there... waiting... At least HE was well aware that it was his own government causing issues.

Does anyone know if this is typical activity or is it on the increase?

I live in the pacific northwest and have alway been fascinated with volcanoes and earthquakes. The USGS is my friend...lol.

This is pretty typical. If you don't look at the sight periodically you wouldn't realize how alive our planet is. The plates are in constant motion.

The 9.0 in Japan is what I call a 'bell ringer'. The earth is still ringing from it. Anytime there is a major shift in the tectonic plates the earthquakes are usually localized in the area of the major quake.

That being said, California is constantly having earthquakes. It hasn't picked up at all. This is the usual.

What I find fascinating is no one was freaking out about Chile. I realize the major freak out is about the nuclear plant but I tend to worry more about earthquakes on this pacific rim than the other side. That being said I live close to the pacific subduction zone.

I personally am not worried about the nuclear plant. It is out of my control and as my doctor would say... "There are some folks that need to step away from the computer, the tv, and all sources of media."

I heed his advice. There are somethings within your control and somethings that are not.

I'll share your opinion, hope you don't mind. There are many countries that are there on the ground, many that are halping by way of humanitarian pledges from far away, it's not just us. Is he aware of the statements from the japanese that up until yesterday still said that they were "considering" us to take a look at the reactors and offer as much on site help in that respect as we could? Is he aware that it is not just our government, but also the citizenry of this country that is helping in every way they can? That we have teams on the ground, but this is too big even for us?

So I ask Mr. Joseph, what have you done today? Who did you share a blanket with, give a drink to or pull fro the rubble? If you haven't, Mr. Joseph, I ask to kindly and diplomatically sit down.

GRRRRR.

Japan has received offers of assistance from 14 international organizations and 102 countries (including a number of unexpected aid donors such as embattled Afghanistan and poverty-stricken Cambodia), according to the latest report from the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia...ernational-community-is-helping/United-States

The US may be doing more, but others are helping.

Thanks teh! :)

NMK, I share your opinion too except you are far more diplomatic than I am....

Mr. Joseph---STFU first and then sit down-------sir. :) all JMHO

Thanks teh! :)

NMK, I share your opinion too except you are far more diplomatic than I am....

Mr. Joseph---STFU first and then sit down-------sir. :) all JMHO

Your post made me wonder how many were helping, lol.

Your post made me wonder how many were helping, lol.

Kind of off topic but we have so many fund raisers going on here right now. They are selling really cool T-shirts to send 1 million over in aid.

Just lot's of activities. I'm sure almost every town and city in the USA has something going on too.

We get the go ahead and we will flood that country with assistance. We just need the go ahead! :)

Prayers for the survivors! Those poor children who have been orphaned :(

Does anyone know if this is typical activity or is it on the increase?

The Honshu quakes are aftershocks-- these are related to the initial shock, so they are not usual. Otherwise, I'd say there are several 5ers around the globe each day, and many many smaller ones. mo

It's reassuring that we finally heard from President Obama and have his reassurance that American soil is safe. I hope that will help stabilize some of the financial markets, at least. It's also reassuring to know we are doing all we can for the Japanese people. Japan is a very proud and noble country and I know it's going to be hard for them to ask for and take help, but it's good to know we're there.

Just the usual -- nothing out of the ordinary. However, we did have a part of Highway 1 collapse (Lord knows why). The part of the highway went into the ocean.

Keeping fingers crossed....

Mel
San Diego

I think it was due to the rain we've had... not unusual to have a slide on the coast at this time of year. mo

I'm torn as to whether the internet is a blessing or a curse, as far as being able to google every scary possibility out there...there is such a thing as too much information, I guess.

Just heard a guy on CNN who was connected to Three Mile Island at some point in his career. He feels this is blown way out of proportion. He does not feel like things are out of control. I think he even thought that evacuating with 50 miles was alittle extreme. I hope he is right.
If its such a "not a big deal",why are we evacuating citizens? Why is radiation(all be it slight) being found on luggage coming from Tokyo?

Just heard a guy on CNN who was connected to Three Mile Island at some point in his career. He feels this is blown way out of proportion. He does not feel like things are out of control. I think he even thought that evacuating with 50 miles was alittle extreme. I hope he is right.
If its such a "not a big deal",why are we evacuating citizens? Why is radiation(all be it slight) being found on luggage coming from Tokyo?

Put a picture of TMI up next to an image of the Fukushima Daiichi plant, and it's pretty plain what's what. imo

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...ia-fish-kill-may-have-been-caused-toxic-algae

This is being reported as the reason for the huge fish die off earlier. (referenced by the geoligist that gave an interview to Fox news, video posted back thread).

I'm not going to shoot down that geologist but I'd like to know how many times he has been accurate in predicting an earthquake (solid proof it was beforehand) instead of just that one earthquake.

As my papaw used to say---even a broken clock is right twice a day. LOL

I hope that there isn't one though. :) all JMHO

capt.photo_1300316011430-2-0.jpg

http://www.drudgereport.com/

The evac's are voluntary. They don't have to leave if they don't want to but it looks like a lot are taking the opportunity provided to them.

The answer to your question can be complex. The American citizens that they are reporting on are there as guests of the US/Japan Govn's and are accompanying a sponsor who is either employed by the US govn or is in the Armed forces (same thing as employed by govn basically).

The US govn paid for the travel of these private citizens and will pay for their return to CONUS. The US gov is responsible for any private citizens that they gave permission to travel with that employee (sponsor).

There are a great many reasons that compel the US Gov to provide evac to private citizens but I will address one of the reasons that military dependents are evac'ed. Just one reason and it's not in the number one position----anyone in the armed forces can't sue the govn but private citizens can even private citizens that are married to or children of an armed forces troop. They are CYA'ing. Why take the chance? Another reason for the above to be evac'ed out of country quickly----how can you ask a troop to raise his/her right hand to defend this country---ect....and leave their family members in any possible harms way at any time? That would be a big ol' moral buster.

Just a couple of reasons off the tippy top of my head. Of course there are regs and rules as to why this happened but I don't know them. I'm just a old beat up military wife. :)

I don't know about the radiation on luggage. I'll have to go have a look at the news :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay