Japan - Japan Airline plane bursts into flame on landing after poss. coll. with coastguard plane, 5 dead - 2 Jan 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have asked for the header to be altered, as the story has been expanded from the initial size (several very brief sentences) and it looks like there may have been casualties on the coastguard plane crew. Several airmen are missing. Still saying all commercial flight crew and passengers safe. First major commercial aviation accident in Japan for decades.

Last edited:
Coastguard plane and remaining crew 'have been found but condition unknown'.

It says that one of the aircraft - I assume the coastguard one, but it is unclear - was on its way to deliver aid to earthquake affected Noto peninsula.

A large airliner carrying 379 passengers exploded today at an airport near Tokyo after colliding with a coastguard plane as it came into land, Japanese media reported.
Shocking footage showed the Japan Airlines jet engulfed in a raging inferno as it sat on the runway at Haneda Airport, in Ota City, Tokyo, with gouts of flame seen pouring out of the passenger windows.
One horrific clip showed the flames licking from the airliner's main cabin door as smouldering debris fell from the fuselage onto the tarmac, while another showed passengers sprinting along the runway to escape the blaze.
A Japan Airlines spokesperson told Japanese broadcaster NHK that all 379 passengers aboard the aircraft - JAL flight 516 Airbus A-350 - at the time of the explosion were successfully evacuated from the stricken plane.
There has been no official confirmation of casualties or injured, but a successful evacuation of all passengers and crew would be a truly miraculous feat given the blaze completely gutted the plane and melted through huge chunks of its bodywork.
Images from the scene showed how the passenger escape slide protruding from one of the airliner's doors was set ablaze as more flames burned within the cabin.
Meanwhile, a coastguard official confirmed a coastguard aircraft was involved in the incident, with NHK reporting one crewmember had escaped that plane but five others remained unaccounted for.
The Japanese Airlines flight had flown out of Shin Chitose airport in Japan and was landing at Haneda airport when the disaster occurred.

Last edited by a moderator:

SBS specifies the passenger plane was landing from Hokkaido, so the coastguard plane would have been the one about to leave to help the earthquake victims.

We go through it here, every time we lose a fire fighting crew during bushfire season to accident or misadventure, but it hurts, every time. My thoughts are with the families of the coastguard crew, and their colleagues. I really do hope at least some of them besides the known survivor, their captain, makes it out of this.

Amazing that everyone managed to get off the commercial plane alive - the crew onboard deserve huge credit for that.

I pray for the people on the coastguard plane - I’m not sure how much of a chance they have though if the large commercial collided with it, unfortunately.

Amazing that everyone managed to get off the commercial plane alive - the crew onboard deserve huge credit for that.

I pray for the people on the coastguard plane - I’m not sure how much of a chance they have though if the large commercial collided with it, unfortunately.
Watching the video above, I am absolutely amazed at not just a number of survivors, but every soul on that plane. It's like watching a slip and slide out of hell. The heat must have been unbelievable, I'm surprised the inflatable ramps didn't melt or catch fire.

One known survivor of the coastguard crew so far, but yeah. That's probably a very small plane on the ground versus an Airbus at speed, landing. It's not a fair fight.

MOO

<modsnip> it specifies that the coastguard plane was also engulfed in flames, which I had not seen elsewhere. Which bodes even more ill for the missing then status unknown crew. Given the source, though, pinch of salt. (With a moving target like a disaster, though, even the best sources can be inaccurate.)

Nothing short of a miracle everyone got out alive from the passenger plane, I wasn't expecting many survivors when I first saw the news break.
Hope the smaller aircrafts crew are located and safe, although that will be another miracle if so

<modsnip>

Sincere condolences to the families and loved ones and colleagues of this crew, who were just doing their jobs, trying to go to help others in desperate need and rescue from devastation.

Sleep well. You will not be forgotten.

Sky News UK which I believe is approved on here is now also confirming that 5 people on board have died

According to what I could see of this Washington Post article, the survivor of the Coast Guard plane ejected, and is in critical condition. Please keep them in your thoughts this evening if you've been reading this thread.

It also said seventeen from the commercial plane injured, which is remarkably low given the force of the impact, the ferocity of the fire, and the hurtling speed of the emergency exit ramp. From the footage of people escaping, I'd be surprised if any walked away without some road rash.

MOO

Last edited:

According to what I could see of this Washington Post article, the survivor of the Coast Guard plane ejected, and is in critical condition. Please keep them in your thoughts this evening if you've been reading this thread.

It also said seventeen from the commercial plane injured, which is remarkably low given the force of the impact, the ferocity of the fire, and the hurtling speed of the emergency exit ramp. From the footage of people escaping, I'd be surprised if any walked away without some road rash.

MOO
I was just listening to Sky News and they had an air crash investigator on they were amazed at how he/she managed to escape alive.

My thoughts are with them and I hope they manage to survive.

17 physical injuries from the plane is quite amazing - the crew must have managed the situation amazingly. All on board will have mental trauma though I am sure which in the long run will need to be dealt with.

I was just listening to Sky News and they had an air crash investigator on they were amazed at how he/she managed to escape alive.

My thoughts are with them and I hope they manage to survive.

17 physical injuries from the plane is quite amazing - the crew must have managed the situation amazingly. All on board will have mental trauma though I am sure which in the long run will need to be dealt with.
My mother loves disaster shows, especially about plane disasters. They scare the hell out of me. (I watch true crime, though. Each to their own.) But yeah, she'd have all this stuff on the tv while I was growing up which I absorbed, despite myself, because we had one tv and no internet at that point. Rescue of Flight 232 she played a LOT because she had it recorded on VHS. That one was a dramatisation but had actual footage of the landing in the film. And I was astonished how many survived that one. Still am. And a lot of it came down to disaster preparedness. You can't do anything about a plane that just falls out of the sky, but with one that manages some kind of a landing, a fast response and cool heads both inside and outside the plane can make a huge difference as to how many people are able to be saved.

Anyway, just my two cents, from someone absolutely terrified of flying for so many reasons.

Last edited:
My mother loves disaster shows, especially about plane disasters. They scare the hell out of me. (I watch true crime, though. Each to their own.) But yeah, she'd have all this stuff on the tv while I was growing up which I absorbed, despite myself, because we had one tv and no internet at that point. Rescue of Flight 232 she played a LOT because she had it recorded on VHS. That one was a dramatisation but had actual footage of the landing in the film. And I was astonished how many survived that one. Still am. And a lot of it came down to disaster preparedness. You can't do anything about a plane that just falls out of the sky, but with one that manages some kind of a landing, a fast response and cool heads both inside and outside the plane can make a huge difference as to how many people are able to be saved.

Anyway, just my two cents, from someone absolutely terrified of flying for so many reasons.
I have a few independent YT channels I watch for plane crash/incident videos. They do such a good job with analyses and I will be curious to see a full analysis of what went so terribly wrong here

RIP to those who've died. Doubly tragic that they were on the plane to help people suffering in the earthquake zone :(

A bunch more detail here thanks to the Japan Times, including the names of the fallen crew members of the Coast Guard.

The five members who died in the accident were Nobuyuki Tahara, 41, Yoshiki Ishida, 27, Wataru Tatewaki, 39, Makoto Uno, 47, and Shigeaki Kato, 56.

I’ve read many books that analyze plane crashes, especially the Tenerife disaster where two 747s crashed. It has been estimated that 40% of the victims on the Pan Am plane could have escaped and survived.

Experts have always recommended that passengers should always pay attention to the evacuation instructions and in particular be aware of the closest exit. Count the rows to the nearest exit whether it is in front of you or behind you so you can find it quickly in case of an emergency evacuation.

Also recommended is that your odds of surviving a plane crash greatly increase if you are dressed appropriately. Wear sturdy closed toe shoes, not flip flops, high heels, or sandals. Wear long pants and long sleeve shirts made of cotton rather than synthetic materials that melt in heat and fire.

I’m a frequent traveler for work, and although I don’t currently fly as much as I used to before COVID I averaged four flights a week. I used to have a fear of flying so I researched and studied all the information I could find. I always dress with safety in mind, and choose a seat either in the very front of the plane or a window seat in an exit row.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue210
Back