Japan - Japan Airline plane bursts into flame on landing after poss. coll. with coastguard plane, 5 dead - 2 Jan 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Sky isn't my favourite to give hits to, but this is a pretty comprehensive 'what we know so far', better than most who are still playing catch-up. Usually I have to give a hit to the Mail for a good summary, though, so it's not much of a difference to that. Sky is actually ahead of the Mail on this story right now, though I assume the Mail will catch up at some point once they start paying survivors for exclusives. Circle of (media) life.

MOO

Another passenger told NHK television that cabin attendants were calm and told everyone to leave their baggage behind, then all lights went off and the temperature inside the cabin started rising. The passenger said she was afraid she might not get off the plane alive.

It was frightening, it was dire, but the cabin crew kept their heads and stuck to their training. There is no doubt they saved lives today.

MOO

Watching the video above, I am absolutely amazed at not just a number of survivors, but every soul on that plane. It's like watching a slip and slide out of hell. The heat must have been unbelievable, I'm surprised the inflatable ramps didn't melt or catch fire.

One known survivor of the coastguard crew so far, but yeah. That's probably a very small plane on the ground versus an Airbus at speed, landing. It's not a fair fight.

MOO
I genuinely believe it's because the Japanese culture focuses so heavily on respecting and caring for others. It's very different from the American way of thinking.

Another passenger told NHK television that cabin attendants were calm and told everyone to leave their baggage behind, then all lights went off and the temperature inside the cabin started rising. The passenger said she was afraid she might not get off the plane alive.

It was frightening, it was dire, but the cabin crew kept their heads and stuck to their training. There is no doubt they saved lives today.

MOO

Travelers tend to think of flight attendants as servers but their most important job is safety, and ability to evacuate passengers safely in case of emergency.

CNN has video showing the moment of impact, and also from inside the plane as smoke fills the cabin.

Travelers tend to think of flight attendants as servers but their most important job is safety, and ability to evacuate passengers safely in case of emergency.

CNN has video showing the moment of impact, and also from inside the plane as smoke fills the cabin.
That dynamic top-story page has moved on to another topic. This looks like what you were referring to:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2024/01/02/inside-plane-japan-airlines-haneda-airport-hnk-vpx.cnn

SBS specifies the passenger plane was landing from Hokkaido, so the coastguard plane would have been the one about to leave to help the earthquake victims.

We go through it here, every time we lose a fire fighting crew during bushfire season to accident or misadventure, but it hurts, every time. My thoughts are with the families of the coastguard crew, and their colleagues. I really do hope at least some of them besides the known survivor, their captain, makes it out of this.
My granddaughter is fire fighter for the state of Texas, and I worry every time she goes to to a major fire. Last year we had many wildfires all over the state because it was so windy and dry and under burn ban all over the place. We're hoping got more rain this year yo help.

Paul Hayes, director of air safety at UK-based aviation consultancy Ascend by Cirium, noted that no-one leaving the plane appeared to be carrying hand luggage - safety agencies have warned for years that pausing to collect carry-on bags during an evacuation risks lives.

"The cabin crew must have done an excellent job... It was a miracle that all the passengers got off," he said.

The aircraft's in-flight announcement system did not work during the evacuation, so crew members used megaphones to give instructions, Japan Airlines said in a statement.

Based on interviews with the flight crew, the airline said the crew acknowledged landing clearance from air traffic control, repeated it back to confirm and then conducted approach and landing operations

Paul Hayes, director of air safety at UK-based aviation consultancy Ascend by Cirium, noted that no-one leaving the plane appeared to be carrying hand luggage - safety agencies have warned for years that pausing to collect carry-on bags during an evacuation risks lives.

"The cabin crew must have done an excellent job... It was a miracle that all the passengers got off," he said.

The aircraft's in-flight announcement system did not work during the evacuation, so crew members used megaphones to give instructions, Japan Airlines said in a statement.

Based on interviews with the flight crew, the airline said the crew acknowledged landing clearance from air traffic control, repeated it back to confirm and then conducted approach and landing operations

I have flown Japanese airlines and they are very professional. For the flight attendants in that chaos to recognize the PA system isn't work and be able to switch to bull horns and get everyone off, not leave anyone behind is remarkable. But I am sure they would say they were just doing their jobs.
Now, as for the ground control or whoever was directing traffic..... some questions.

MOO

The cabin crew deserve huge praise - to be able to stick to their training in a disaster situation is amazing.

From videos I’ve seen it seems like all passengers followed the instructions of the crew aswell - stayed calm and allowed for a safe evacuation.

caring for others and respect are Embedded in Japanese culture - I believe this massively helped get everyone off board safely.

The New York Times, with more information about and praise for the cabin crew's successful evacuation of the commercial plane.

They are trained to evacuate the whole plane in 90 seconds.

They evacuated through only three doors due to the fire.

They had to use megaphones and their voices due to failure of the PA system.

Some people were evacuated 'uphill' due to the plane leaning forward after the collapse of the nosecone on landing.

This was all done in the dark with torches (flashlights) while the plane was quickly filling with smoke.

MOO

I’ve read many books that analyze plane crashes, especially the Tenerife disaster where two 747s crashed. It has been estimated that 40% of the victims on the Pan Am plane could have escaped and survived.

Experts have always recommended that passengers should always pay attention to the evacuation instructions and in particular be aware of the closest exit. Count the rows to the nearest exit whether it is in front of you or behind you so you can find it quickly in case of an emergency evacuation.

Also recommended is that your odds of surviving a plane crash greatly increase if you are dressed appropriately. Wear sturdy closed toe shoes, not flip flops, high heels, or sandals. Wear long pants and long sleeve shirts made of cotton rather than synthetic materials that melt in heat and fire.

I’m a frequent traveler for work, and although I don’t currently fly as much as I used to before COVID I averaged four flights a week. I used to have a fear of flying so I researched and studied all the information I could find. I always dress with safety in mind, and choose a seat either in the very front of the plane or a window seat in an exit row.
That's very useful, thanks very much. Do you have any other tips?

I always make sure anything I could not leave behind (for example my wallet, phone - but really i could replace those and i mostly worry about just one very sentimental item i could not live without) is on my body in someway like in pockets, or in the seat pocket ready to put into my pocket immediately, because I know you can't take luggage.

Good article, especially for its context for how the air disaster in the eighties changed things in Japan and made JAL one of the safest airlines to fly.

MOO

I have flown Japanese airlines and they are very professional. For the flight attendants in that chaos to recognize the PA system isn't work and be able to switch to bull horns and get everyone off, not leave anyone behind is remarkable. But I am sure they would say they were just doing their jobs.
Now, as for the ground control or whoever was directing traffic..... some questions.

Well, obviously, one of the two possibilities, either instructions from the ATC were incorrect, or else, they were misinterpreted by the pilot of one, or both, planes. I assume ATC will more likely end up being at fault.

However, given that it happened in the busiest airport on the day after a major earthquake, there might be a strong contributing factor of information, sensory and processing overload plus general personnel burnout. I think ATC is a very difficult job as it is, and the general "airport burnout" given the earthquake might have contributed, thus minimizing each and everyone's individual and collective fault. In the context of one major disaster, other accidents become more possible.

Great that the crew saved so many lives, and as to the Airbus, it was probably insured, although still a major loss for the JAL.

As to the coast guard plane crew, very sorry. I hope it was fast for them. RIP. I hope the pilot survives, the poor man.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaniMiranda82
Back