ACTIVE SEARCH JAPAN - Patricia "Pattie" Wu-Murad, 60, US Citizen, on hiking trip Kumano Kodo Trail, didn't arr next stop Osaka, 10 Apr 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Perhaps this is considered off-topic, but:

I had reason to be in Japan last month—my first time there. I wasn’t near the Kohechi trails, though. Still, when riding the bullet train, I’d be enjoying the views of the hilly, green mountainous areas…then found my mind sadly wandering to thoughts of Pattie, still presumably out in the vicinity of the Kohechi forest trails, waiting to be found. How difficult to find a person in the vast forested mountains, I said to myself.

I had feelings of comfort and safety in this country. So many of its citizens were very helpful and kind to us when we needed help. I‘d find myself thinking: I’ll bet Pattie found this to be true, too.

Her story has touched my heart for a few reasons. Like her, I am Asian-American. I’m in my 60s and enjoy walking trails for not just exercise but for the rejuvenation and feelings of peace and accomplishment it can bring. And now I know Japan, and maybe why she enjoyed visiting this country.

JMO

Kirk Murad and his daughter Murphy sit in the living room of their home with a photo of Kirk and his wife, Patricia Wu-Murad, on their wedding day 33 years ago, Storrs, Conn., August 25, 2023. Wu-Murad went missing in April while on a pilgrimage hiking through the mountains of Japan. Photo by Cloe Poisson/Special to the Court

Kirk Murad and his daughter Murphy sit in the living room of their home with a photo of Kirk and his wife, Patricia Wu-Murad, on their wedding day 33 years ago, Storrs, Conn., August 25, 2023. Wu-Murad went missing in April while on a pilgrimage hiking through the mountains of Japan. Photo by Cloe Poisson/Special to the Court

STORRS — Murphy Murad is home. But her mom isn’t there to make her favorite meal.

“She would do surf and turf for me,” Murphy said. “Because red meat is really expensive in Singapore (where she lived), and I love steak and seafood.”

Her mother, Pattie Wu-Murad, designed the house where her family lives in Storrs. The kitchen was her favorite place.

Such a sad interview.

Yet I notice that there is still no mention of the phone data. When did Pattie's phone ping last, where and how did it move? What other phones were near and who do they belong to?
These data exist, and japanese LE should supply them! They are essential!

Japan has anti-terror police for the cyberspace and they would not be able to come up with a phone number because it was foreign? is there anyone out there (or here) who believes that?

Such a sad interview.

Yet I notice that there is still no mention of the phone data. When did Pattie's phone ping last, where and how did it move? What other phones were near and who do they belong to?

Japan has anti-terror police for the cyberspace and they would not be able to come up with a phone number because it was foreign? is there anyone out there (or here) who believes that?
There‘s some info about the phone data, but it’s little and not current.

May 30:
With the help of Japanese authorities and the FBI, Pattie’s family is seeking cell phone data that might pinpoint her last known whereabouts, monitoring her bank accounts for withdrawals and tracking any use of her passport.
Growing Concern That Connecticut Mom Who Disappeared in Japan Is Victim of Foul Play (Exclusive)

June 5:
Since day one, the Murad family pushed to get her cell phone data so they can pinpoint her last known location before her phone died. Her husband Kirk said he thinks that could be the key to finding her, but they’ve been hitting nothing but roadblocks.

“Whether it's privacy laws, whether it's because it's a U.S. cell phone with a Singaporean sim and Japanese towers makes that complicated, we don't know, but we're not going to accept that there's no data, there's there has to be something,” said Kirk Murad, Pattie’s husband.

The Murad family plans to continue working with Japanese police and the FBI to get that data.
Search for missing Storrs hiker in Japan ends

June 21:
Murad advises people traveling solo abroad to allow trusted individuals access to their location other than through their cell phone.

“We wish that she had an [bluetooth location-tracking] air tag because we could have found her that way. I think that's something everybody should have,” Murad said.

Wu-Murad’s phone had lost battery by the time the family was notified of her disappearance, so they were unable to access her location – or any data through her eSim card due to Japan’s strict privacy laws on telecommunications.
Months after CT mother goes missing during hike in Japan, family still holding out for a ‘miracle’ ❤️

Perhaps this is considered off-topic, but:

I had reason to be in Japan last month—my first time there. I wasn’t near the Kohechi trails, though. Still, when riding the bullet train, I’d be enjoying the views of the hilly, green mountainous areas…then found my mind sadly wandering to thoughts of Pattie, still presumably out in the vicinity of the Kohechi forest trails, waiting to be found. How difficult to find a person in the vast forested mountains, I said to myself.

I had feelings of comfort and safety in this country. So many of its citizens were very helpful and kind to us when we needed help. I‘d find myself thinking: I’ll bet Pattie found this to be true, too.

Her story has touched my heart for a few reasons. Like her, I am Asian-American. I’m in my 60s and enjoy walking trails for not just exercise but for the rejuvenation and feelings of peace and accomplishment it can bring. And now I know Japan, and maybe why she enjoyed visiting this country.

JMO
off topic or not, this is beautiful to read @slowpoke and I appreciate it and think it worthy of posting again.

May answers come for this loved woman's family soon.

Such a sad interview.

not me

FB_IMG_1694470237113.jpg
I saw this photo today, it's a trail in the Kumano Kodo area, and it just struck me of how immense the trees and foliage are, and I can totally understand why Patti hasn't been found, despite teams of search & rescue people looking.
Even more understandable when they don't exactly know where it was Patti went.
The SAR teams simply cannot check under every shrub and bush in miles of forest.
I'm convinced Patti's remains are there somewhere.

View attachment 446390
I saw this photo today, it's a trail on Kumano Kodo and it just struck me of how immense the trees and foliage are, and I can totally understand why Patti hasn't been found, despite teams of search & rescue people looking.
Even more understandable when they don't exactly know where it was Patti went.

There are a few "missing" stories that are so painful, waiting and waiting for any information. I am trying to follow about 5 of the cases, and they just go nowhere. And a few involve 'other countries' so so much more difficult and painful for the loved ones.

This photo is beautiful... but quite honestly...a trail with this much structure, seems easier to follow than many.

There are a few "missing" stories that are so painful, waiting and waiting for any information. I am trying to follow about 5 of the cases, and they just go nowhere. And a few involve 'other countries' so so much more difficult and painful for the loved ones.

This photo is beautiful... but quite honestly...a trail with this much structure, seems easier to follow than many.
If she was actually on this trail, I highly doubt she got lost. I lean towards her possibly having either an injury, or a medical event that could have caused her to go off trail. I don’t recall them ever disclosing if she had any health issues, but some things can happen unexpectedly. It’s also possible she was abducted. It’s a real shame the authorities there won’t disclose her phone info. That’s really not right, IMO.

If she was actually on this trail, I highly doubt she got lost. I lean towards her possibly having either an injury, or a medical event that could have caused her to go off trail. I don’t recall them ever disclosing if she had any health issues, but some things can happen unexpectedly. It’s also possible she was abducted. It’s a real shame the authorities there won’t disclose her phone info. That’s really not right, IMO.
Yes, I think she went off trail. But the photo was just to highlight the enormity and density of the trees and bushes there.

From the Help Find Pattie FB page:

Every Christmas the Connecticut Murads would come with so many gifts. We tried to do Secret Santa but Pattie still brought gifts for everyone. She baked cookies, she brought snacks, she cooked meals. She'd pack everything up along with the family and the dog (s) and head out to NY so we can all be together. She would also have her camera in tow and take spectacular pictures of the grand kids, our parents, and the rest of the family. She had the biggest smile watching the kids open their presents. This is just one of those times. She was truly happy in these moments. Today, when all the family gets here and the crazy Murad Army comes together, there will be a large piece of us missing. Although there is one wish we didnt get this year, We will celebrate and remember you fondly and continue to pray for your safe return. Merry Christmas Pattie, where ever you are. May God's light guide you home soon. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all our HFP family. Thank you for your continued prayers and support this year. We don't know what we'd do with out you. God Bless you all. #helpfindpattie

BBM

Wow this is such a sad case.

Having had broken and injured toes I am well familiar with how crucial they are to balance, especially when climbing or descending steps or when changing elevation. I do think she may have fallen. Alternatively, I think she may have been hit by a vehicle on the road.

I hope her family is able to get answers.

I have pretty much sworn off hiking alone. These cases haunt me.

Looking at a dense forest, I immediately thought, animals. Here is information about Kumano Kodo trail. Two things I paid attention to: 1) spotty reception and 2) beware of bears! Snakes, too, but a bear in spring would be dangerous

A side note, a few days ago I thought of Pattie when I read the fiction book "Cold Enough for Snow" by Jessica Au. It's a short, lovely, contemplative book. At one point the main female character does an overnight hike in Japan and is describing her walk, so of course I thought of Pattie.

I am glad Pattie followed her true passion of hiking, it sounds so lovely, and I am heartbroken for Pattie and her loved ones that it has ended in this unknown way.

I hope eventually her case is solved.

A side note, a few days ago I thought of Pattie when I read the fiction book "Cold Enough for Snow" by Jessica Au. It's a short, lovely, contemplative book. At one point the main female character does an overnight hike in Japan and is describing her walk, so of course I thought of Pattie.

I am glad Pattie followed her true passion of hiking, it sounds so lovely, and I am heartbroken for Pattie and her loved ones that it has ended in this unknown way.

I hope eventually her case is solved.
Agreed! So heartbreaking and horrific for her family and friends :confused: The trails she went on look magnificent…so peaceful even to someone like me who is not an outdoorsy person/hiker. I wonder if Pattie had ever read that book. Imo

My partner and I hiked a portion of the Nakasendo trail in November of last year. It's nowhere near as remote as the trail that Pattie was on but as I was researching some safety precautions for our trip I read about snakes, bears and also giant hornets. Apologies if this has already been highlighted. They are apparently more aggressive in the autumn but they are active from spring through to the autumn and can have a very painful sting and in rare cases it is possible to die from a sting. It just occured to me that if you inadvertently disturbed a nest and got attacked by a swarm of hornets it might be very easy to run off trail and get lost/ injured. Pattie was on my mind during our trip and I truly hope she is found soon

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NaniMom
Back