Jason Young to get new trial

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Heather's testimony (Jason's sister) she said they had a search warrant and instructed them to put their things back in the SUV. Mrs, Young also testified to the same thing, I don't believe she was allowed to even have her medicine.
Another thing about the SUV though, Jason brought it back to Raleigh, if he had something to hide, any evidence at all to connect him to the murder, why bring the SUV back? And, this is a little out there, but why not run? He never ran, not even when he was out on bail and things looked bleak. That says a lot to me.

The killer of Kathy Taft is asking for a new trial because LE failed to properly obtain a search warrant for his trash. It will be a shame for taxpayers if his request is granted ('cuz my opinion is the guy is guilty beyond all doubt.) Not following proper LE procedure seems to be accepted practice in that area and it has accomplished nothing worthwhile.

JMO

The links are at WRAL, nurse.

www.wral.com

For Both of them.

This is directly from a MSM article in both cases. And in the case of the conviction being overturned, it's also contained in a link leading to the large PDF from the court, contained on the Cooper threads.

any political stuff needs to stay out of here.. and fwiw when I click on the general link I see nothing related to this case whatsoever. If a specific article has information that would be appropriate to link to when in reference to posting a fact. :seeya:

Exactly WHEN is that going to be????

I need a time frame if I am going to get up to speed on this dang case.
I will admit I have put off watching trial 1 because I suspect I will have a long, long time to do this over the next year (and other trials have jumped to the forefront!).

Has there been any news on the date of the new trial??? TIA!

There are no dates for any of these re-trials. Cooper and Peterson's trials are a sure thing, unless a plea comes along.
Young was awarded a 3rd trial from the NC Appeals Court in an unanimous decision, and the state has asked the NC Supreme Court to review the decision.

Actually neither item mentioned in the original posting (by Sunshine05) has anything to do with the JY case, so both her post and my response should be deleted since it is off topic. thx!

The killer of Kathy Taft is asking for a new trial because LE failed to properly obtain a search warrant for his trash. It will be a shame for taxpayers if his request is granted ('cuz my opinion is the guy is guilty beyond all doubt.) Not following proper LE procedure seems to be accepted practice in that area and it has accomplished nothing worthwhile.

JMO

Oh, I have to say that one I don't care about. GUILTY, and so is Raven Abaroa, but he beat the system on that one. That case makes me so :banghead: also, the light sentence Amanda Hayes got , but I am getting OT.
Sorry!

On July 25, 2007, a search warrant was issued for Michelle's SUV and this is why:

"Due to the situation with the child's bloodied footprints versus the clean condition of the child's feet when found; the confusion over the keys to the decedent's vehicle and how they came to be placed on the kitchen counter, and Meredith Fisher's keys being found on the hood of the decedent's vehicle, it is believed that the 2000 Lexus RX300 could have been used to transport the child from the scene. If this was the case, there may have been transference of blood from the scene to the vehicle using the child for conveyance"
_________________________________________________________________________________

BBM. Did the prosecution advance any theory that the child was removed from the home? Because then it would really make no sense that Jason was involved. If he had a helper, he didn't need to return at all. The idea that he premeditated it, drove all that way back, killed Michelle and then had the helper do a clean up and whisk CY and the dog out of there seems like a very bad work of fiction.

JMO

Oh, I have to say that one I don't care about. GUILTY, and so is Raven Abaroa, but he beat the system on that one. That case makes me so :banghead: also, the light sentence Amanda Hayes got , but I am getting OT.
Sorry!

I'm surprised there are so many cases in that Triangle area that are all getting retrials for errors that really should have never happened in the first place. I think the number of cases is unusual. I'm a layman but I sure did question some of the decisions the Judges were making in both the Young case and Cooper case.

BBM. Did the prosecution advance any theory that the child was removed from the home? Because then it would really make no sense that Jason was involved. If he had a helper, he didn't need to return at all. The idea that he premeditated it, drove all that way back, killed Michelle and then had the helper do a clean up and whisk CY and the dog out of there seems like a very bad work of fiction.

JMO

Several theories have floated around, but it was after 9-10 months before LE even looked at Michelle's car . I posted this mostly to show why it is reasonable for some to think Michelle's car could have been involved, and not just something made up. As you can see, LE also considered this possibility by issuing a warrant.

Several theories have floated around, but it was after 9-10 months before LE even looked at Michelle's car . I posted this mostly to show why it is reasonable for some to think Michelle's car could have been involved, and not just something made up. As you can see, LE also considered this possibility by issuing a warrant.

Doesn't this disprove the assertion that LE only ever looked at Jason? The very nature of this search warrant shows they did consider another scenario involving someone else.

Doesn't this disprove the assertion that LE only ever looked at Jason? The very nature of this search warrant shows they did consider another scenario involving someone else.

They took JY's vehicle the hour he arrived back in town.

MF's car, which was at the crime scene, wasn't searched immediately and they issued a warrant months later. I'm not saying she did it, but it's possible she had her car detailed and cleaned in those months following the murder.

Sent from your mom's smartphone

I wonder why the prosecution discarded it as a possibility. A search warrant obtained months after a murder may not result in useful evidence but that doesn't mean the LE theory it was used to convey the child isn't a valid theory.

JMO

Not really, if anything, they probably thought it was an accomplice. But, its also possible after hearing statements from Ms Beaver and Ms H about a car that fit Michelle's car description, they should look into it.
No, I am pretty sure by the wording of all the warrants and including waiting for Jason to come back to Raleigh and asking Heather if Jason could leave from Meredith's house from another exit, they had one suspect and one suspect only. JMO

Exactly WHEN is that going to be????

I need a time frame if I am going to get up to speed on this dang case.
I will admit I have put off watching trial 1 because I suspect I will have a long, long time to do this over the next year (and other trials have jumped to the forefront!).

Has there been any news on the date of the new trial??? TIA!

No, after the SC decision comes out, sometime after that a trial should be scheduled but I have a feeling they are holding off on this until the new DA is elected. I think it will be a while.

On July 25, 2007, a search warrant was issued for Michelle's SUV and this is why:

"Due to the situation with the child's bloodied footprints versus the clean condition of the child's feet when found; the confusion over the keys to the decedent's vehicle and how they came to be placed on the kitchen counter, and Meredith Fisher's keys being found on the hood of the decedent's vehicle, it is believed that the 2000 Lexus RX300 could have been used to transport the child from the scene. If this was the case, there may have been transference of blood from the scene to the vehicle using the child for conveyance"
_________________________________________________________________________________

So what did they find?

So what did they find?

No evidence found in the Lexus. I should mention that there was a small spot of MY's blood found on the doorknob leading from the kitchen into the garage. It seems the killer(s) likely exited though the garage.

Do you see how you're cherry picking just like the State did? You only trust the 3:30AM sighting of the light colored SUV. Actually there were three independent reports of a light colored SUV Tiller initially told police she saw it at 4-5 and it somehow shifted to 3:30ish but okay. Then Cindy B. sees it with two people inside and no I don't believe she was mistaken based on the details she was able to provide. She seemed very credible at trial. Third, Faye Hinsley reported seeing it, again in the same location a bit later, anywhere from 5-7AM. The two on either side corroborate Cindy's statement. (Compare to Gracie with absolutely nothing to corroborate her sighting of JY)

Was it MY's? That is possible but impossible to know for sure. <mod snip>

I didn't say which witness, if any of the morning witnesses at/near Birchleaf Ln , I "trusted." I might not believe any of them and discard all of them in the end.

Gracie had corroborating facts in that she was able to tell police a light colored large SUV (not unlike a Ford Explorer as an example), pulled into the furthest pump from the office. The time was correct (right before 5:30am) That was unprompted. She further had a cash receipt that showed a $15 purchase of gas, paid with a $20 and she also told and showed a $5 overage in which the person, after cussing her out, left without taking his $5 in change. Her story holds true and the receipt proves there was such a customer.

Like any "eye witness," it comes down to believing their story or not and incorporating or disregarding their testimony. One person's "credible" is another person's "untrustworthy." Good thing eye witness testimony is not the only evidence in this case.

No evidence found in the Lexus. I should mention that there was a small spot of MY's blood found on the doorknob leading from the kitchen into the garage. It seems the killer(s) likely exited though the garage.

No footprints leading out? Is there a pic of that blood spot?

If you are slaughtered in your home... would not your supposidly out-of-town spouse be the very first person LE would need to check/suspect/warn?

How many of you would hang up with LE before knowing exactly what had happened to your spouse and child?

Lawyer or not?

No footprints leading out? Is there a pic of that blood spot?

If you are slaughtered in your home... would not your supposidly out-of-town spouse be the very first person LE would need to check/suspect/warn?

How many of you would hang up with LE before knowing exactly what had happened to your spouse and child?

Lawyer or not?

I think it's understandable that someone in Jason's position - first notified of his wife's murder, and then made fully aware of the fact that police strongly suspected him - would be scared to talk to police. It's possible that he would continue talking with police to try to present himself as innocent, but that can backfire. His lawyer told him not to talk with police, so from that point forth, his priority was probably to talk with his lawyer rather than police. Meredith told him to go to her house, so he knew that he would get all the details from her as soon as he arrived.

I don't know otto... I would have to know what happened. I wouldn't just hang up, that is for sure.

That is a long ride not knowing anything about your wife or daughter IMO.

Gracie might not be the best witness... but doesn't that description sort of fit his personality?

Why would the customer/guy not pump five more dollars or take his change?
In a hurry? Mess up computations? Likes donating to local gas station? Odd indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SueDoeNim