Jay Leno Out, Conan Replacing Him on "The Tonight Show" on 6/1/09

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hopefully one of the other networks will snap Jay up, and then put him against Conan in the same time slot, and then blow Conan out of the water. That would teach NBC!

I think it's sad that they are forcing Jay Leno out. The network is doing him wrong. I probably won't watch Conan (nothing against Conan). I just don't like the way the network has treated Jay.

i like Conan much more than Leno, i have to be honest....he's different though..i hope he doesn't change his 'style' ...

You're right, ttrachel04. I LOVE Conan, and I think most of my friends do, too. I do love Leno too, but I'm really looking forward to Conan taking over. Then I don't have to stay up until 1:30 to see his show!

right!....that's a plus, for sure:)
he won't be on sooooo late....

I think it's sad that they are forcing Jay Leno out. The network is doing him wrong. I probably won't watch Conan (nothing against Conan). I just don't like the way the network has treated Jay.

Actually we out here knew of Jay's intention to retire when he announced it way back. It upset my dear old aunt who continues her monthly Seniors bus ride from Palm Springs to L.A. once a month to go see his show live.

The problem is, he changed his mind about wanting to retire and wanted to stay, but as you can read below, it all boils down to money for NBC.

In 2005, when NBC announced the planned O'Brien-for-Leno substitution, Leno released a statement saying he'd promised his wife, Mavis, that he'd take her out to dinner before he turned 60.

Leno will be 59 in 2009.

"When I signed my new contract," Leno was quoted as saying, "I felt that the timing was right to plan for my successor, and there is no one more qualified than Conan."

NBC pushed for the succession announcement in order to keep the younger and in-demand O'Brien in the network fold. Now, according to the Times, if the network doesn't give O'Brien the 11:35 p.m. time slot in 2009, it'll be on the hook for $40 million—the price you apparently pay when you break a promise to a man with a good agent.
http://www.wibw.com/diversions/headlines/10572156.html

I can't believe Jay will be that old! I find Conan just a bit too "off" to watch. Painful, almost. However, Jay just isn't as funny and entertaining as he used to be...Oh, for the days of Johnny Carson!

I can't believe Jay will be that old! I find Conan just a bit too "off" to watch. Painful, almost. However, Jay just isn't as funny and entertaining as he used to be...Oh, for the days of Johnny Carson!
I don't care for Conan, always switched over to watch Ferguson after Jay's show ended. I don't think he will ever have the following Leno has had.

I agree, Leno has been slipping and the clarity of his delivery is getting worse. I've watched Jay since his beginning out here, but during the strike I started watching Jimmy Kimmel's re-runs for a change of pace. Jimmy cracks me up, and really has a quick wit. My daugher caught Leno's act up in Vegas and she said he was great, better than his show.

Yes, Johnny Carson was great, really great.

I loved Johny Carson, but I also love Jay Leno. I think he is one of the most down to earth celebrities in Hollywood. I actually met him once years ago, when he was a comedian on Johnys show, but not very famous yet. I was in Los Angeles for business, and was in a Banana Republic in Beverly Hills. Mr Leno came in to try on jean jackets, and he was so gracious with the other customers and the shop employees. He was just starting to become famous and could have been an arrogant jerk, but he was so kind and respectful, joking and down to earth with everyone. I knew from that day on he was a nice guy, and I sincerely doubt he has changed through the years. Did you know he still does a comedy show at a comedy theatre in Hermosa Beach every Sunday night?

I do not like Conan and wish they would keep Jay around for a few more years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CatD
Back