Jerry Lewis Drops F-Bomb During Telethon

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good grief, guys! I am SHOCKED that an Australian civil war has erupted in a thread devoted to derogatory terms for me and my kind. One would hope such a battle would be taken elsewhere--out of respect for my well-known love of Australian people and culture!

For the record, I never meant to suggest that British or Australian people are more likely to utter homophobic slurs. I'd have no way of knowing. None of my American, British or Australian friends use any of these words in my presence. But then they wouldn't, would they?

I was merely saying that other English-speaking countries seemed to use a greater variety of slang words for gay men nowadays, where the variety of such slurs in the US seems to be in decline. My impression is based almost entirely on what I read in literature or hear on TV programs and films from those countries.

Narla, we have the same word you mention, which we usually spell "wuss." It used to be more or less synonymous with "*advertiser censored*," but now that most people realize gay men aren't necessarily effeminate, "wuss" is no longer necessarily associated with being gay. Same goes for "wimp."

For tomorrow's seminar, I propose that everyone be prepared to discuss "butt pirate" and "dead ender." :D

Good grief, guys! I am SHOCKED that an Australian civil war has erupted in a thread devoted to derogatory terms for me and my kind. One would hope such a battle would be taken elsewhere--out of respect for my well-known love of Australian people and culture!

For the record, I never meant to suggest that British or Australian people are more likely to utter homophobic slurs. I'd have no way of knowing. None of my American, British or Australian friends use any of these words in my presence. But then they wouldn't, would they?

I was merely saying that other English-speaking countries seemed to use a greater variety of slang words for gay men nowadays, where the variety of such slurs in the US seems to be in decline. My impression is based almost entirely on what I read in literature or hear on TV programs and films from those countries.

Narla, we have the same word you mention, which we usually spell "wuss." It used to be more or less synonymous with "*advertiser censored*," but now that most people realize gay men aren't necessarily effeminate, "wuss" is no longer necessarily associated with being gay. Same goes for "wimp."

For tomorrow's seminar, I propose that everyone be prepared to discuss "butt pirate" and "dead ender." :D
ROFLMA, cant wait for that seminar, I personally have not heard of those terms, you learn something new everyday.

Gay or straight, black or white, in my eyes everyone is equal and should be treated as such, I am not a prejudice person, and whatever anyone does with their life is their business, I had some great gay friends but as life got busier we lost contact, I knew them when I was in the Army, we have had reunions and they are some the loveliest people I know.

Narla, you really have to stop doing that. Awhile back I had a person who did that constantly and people were really aggravated because his posts were never what they started out to be. We have a Preview Post button that you can hit to check over everything before hand and catch anything wrong at that time. Please try to do that instead of editing after you've already posted. It will make it so much easier on everyone.

Okay.

Oh!
That's just how I spell it, but we meant the same word- and yes, it is no longer necassarily associated with being gay.

ROFLMA, cant wait for that seminar, I personally have not heard of those terms, you learn something new everyday.

I first heard "dead ender" from a Canadian. I figure it'll bring a whole new group to the discussion.

I first heard "dead ender" from a Canadian. I figure it'll bring a whole new group to the discussion.
You may be right Nova, I think that will be good as we could all learn something new together.

You may be right Nova, I think that will be good as we could all learn something new together.

To paraphrase George Bernard Shaw, we are just a bunch of countries separated by a common language.

Me too, have my packed lunch, notebook and pen, where are you Nova.

I'm here. I wish this discussion could be classified as "ancient history" and chalked up to the mental failings of an 81-year-old man.

But just last week, my niece's advance placement history teacher told her class that the 1906 San Francisco earthquake shook up the continent "and that's how all the fruits and nuts ended up in California." ("Fruits" is a derogatory term for gay men, at least here in the States.)

Apparently, the same teacher said something worse about gays the next day, but my niece refuses to repeat it.

Her mother (my sister) reminded my niece that I have often cautioned the kids that they don't have to fight these battles and they aren't being disloyal to their gay uncles if they just say nothing. But my niece feels saying nothing signals silent approval. My sister suggested she drop the class.

This is NOT a dilemma a 15-year-old girl should have to face. (She lives in Ohio, BTW.)

I'm here. I wish this discussion could be classified as "ancient history" and chalked up to the mental failings of an 81-year-old man.

But just last week, my niece's advance placement history teacher told her class that the 1906 San Francisco earthquake shook up the continent "and that's how all the fruits and nuts ended up in California." ("Fruits" is a derogatory term for gay men, at least here in the States.)

Apparently, the same teacher said something worse about gays the next day, but my niece refuses to repeat it.

Her mother (my sister) reminded my niece that I have often cautioned the kids that they don't have to fight these battles and they aren't being disloyal to their gay uncles if they just say nothing. But my niece feels saying nothing signals silent approval. My sister suggested she drop the class.

This is NOT a dilemma a 15-year-old girl should have to face. (She lives in Ohio, BTW.)
That is so upsetting to me...not only that your niece has to sit there and listen to that offensive talk, but so does the rest of the class. I think your sister should complain. At the very least talk to the teacher and gently explain how hurtfurl those deragatory words and phrases can be. (Not to mention, illegal.)

That is so upsetting to me...not only that your niece has to sit there and listen to that offensive talk, but so does the rest of the class. I think your sister should complain. At the very least talk to the teacher and gently explain how hurtfurl those deragatory words and phrases can be. (Not to mention, illegal.)

Thanks, Anita. It really breaks my heart, particularly since my niece is such a great kid! And even if she weren't in the class, somebody else with gay relatives might be. Or--God forbid!--there may be gay teenagers themselves in the class. I can't imagine what that teacher is thinking, or that he is thinking at all.

I'll see what my sister wants to do...

Thanks, Anita. It really breaks my heart, particularly since my niece is such a great kid! And even if she weren't in the class, somebody else with gay relatives might be. Or--God forbid!--there may be gay teenagers themselves in the class. I can't imagine what that teacher is thinking, or that he is thinking at all.

I'll see what my sister wants to do...
That's my concern. Especially the second part. Let us know what happens ok?

And regarding Jerry...God bless that old drunk!

That's my concern. Especially the second part. Let us know what happens ok?....

Will do. I'm trying to tread lightly because I don't want either my niece or my sister to think they "owe it" to me to do one thing or another.

In another note, at the same school, my nephew--the ultimate jock--spoke up when his basketball team started calling people "*advertiser censored*." My nephew simply said very firmly, "I really don't like that sort of talk." Not only did his team stop it, for the most part, but he later heard the players telling other kids that it wasn't okay to call people that.

Couple of great kids, my niece and nephew!

It's not Nova, your sis should march in there and tell that teacher to wake up!
It is so not cool to use derogatory names where gays are concernced, that teacher needs to know that.

Sorry to hear your niece is going through this Nova, the teacher must be homophobic and should not bring it into the classroom.

Your family sound very supportive Nova.

Sorry to hear your niece is going through this Nova, the teacher must be homophobic and should not bring it into the classroom.

Your family sound very supportive Nova.

They are. My sister and her kids are absolutely perfect in every way.

And while we might have other complaints about my parents, as far as the "gay issue," my entire family has been pretty supportive.

It's not Nova, your sis should march in there and tell that teacher to wake up!
It is so not cool to use derogatory names where gays are concernced, that teacher needs to know that.
Or any other group.

I have :gasp: had children out of wedlock. I find the outdated term "*advertiser censored*" extremely offensive, especially when the speaker is using it in relation to an innocent who did not have the ability to choose the circumstances of their own birth.

They are. My sister and her kids are absolutely perfect in every way.

And while we might have other complaints about my parents, as far as the "gay issue," my entire family has been pretty supportive.
As are you, darling Nova!:blowkiss:

Or any other group.

I have :gasp: had children out of wedlock. I find the outdated term "*advertiser censored*" extremely offensive, especially when the speaker is using it in relation to an innocent who did not have the ability to choose the circumstances of their own birth.

I agree. But do you live in Ohio, too? 'Cause I don't know ANYONE who uses that word to mean illegitimate any more or who even keeps track of whose parents were married or not. It is such a non-issue here among the "fruits and nuts" of California!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back