JLM Charged in 2005 Farifax Rape Case

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Google aerial views of the attack area.

1. Overall area with Giant shown at lower left.
2. Closer view of apartment complex. Note the newer playground had not been constructed when this photo was taken. It is in the area just above (north) of the pool.
3. The pool and playground area. You can see the gazebo that is mentioned in news stories. It's just Rock Garden Drive points straight to it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&...4&sspn=0.003392,0.003321&t=h&radius=0.11&z=19

Fairfax-1.jpg
Fairfax-2.jpg
Fairfax-3.jpg

Google Street Views.

1. The view all the way from Jermantown Road looking down Rock Garden Drive.
2. Another view down Rock Garden, but closer to the playground.
3. View from end of Rock Garden looking toward pool.
4. View from end of Rock Garden looking toward playground.

Fairfax-5.jpg
Fairfax-6.jpg
Fairfax-7.jpg
Fairfax-8.jpg

I'm surprised they didn't extradite him to be here in FFX....?? Wtf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They said during the PC they were issuing a bench warrant today and he would be sent to FFX a couple days after that.

Bing aerial views.

1. Aerial view of apartment complex, playground and pool.
2. Bird's eye view from the south.
3. Bird's eye view from the west.
4. Bird's eye view from the north.
5. Bird's eye view from the east.

Fairfax-9.jpg
Fairfax-10.jpg
Fairfax-11.jpg
Fairfax-12.jpg
Fairfax-13.jpg

A bit of a description of what happened where.

http://www.readthehook.com/67132/morgans-killer-fairfax-case-connection-offers-hope-fresh-fear

Quote:

Pena recalls all too well the attack that took place on the night of September 24, 2005. After returning on foot to the complex from the Giant grocery store just a quarter of a mile up Jermantown Road, a 26-year-old woman was brutally raped.

According to the report from Fairfax police, the young woman reached the neighborhood carrying her groceries at approximately 10pm that night, when she was grabbed from behind and dragged to a small grassy area near the complex pool and playground.

Startled by a passerby, the assailant fled on foot. His traumatized victim then made her way to one of the closest units where the residents called 911 and comforted the young, dark-haired woman as she waited for medical care.

When resident Stephen Hannan arrived home that night at around 10:30pm from his job cooking at a nearby restaurant, he says seven police cruisers were already on the scene and an ambulance parked on the grass near a wooden gazebo, where the victim–- whose identity has not been released–- was being treated inside.

I'm struck by the extreme violence of the Fairfax attack, as described in the the Hook article of 2010:

http://www.readthehook.com/67132/morgans-killer-fairfax-case-connection-offers-hope-fresh-fear

He beat her viciously, strangled her until she blacked out, leaving marks on her neck, blood on her face, etc. . . and then he suddenly stopped when scared off. He's been charged with attempted murder for this attack.

My first point is: He was clearly pretty "escalated" already by 2005. (Which doesn't bode well for the number of women he may have killed either before or after.)

And, second: It makes me wonder if he planned to carry off the body, if he'd succeeded in completing the Fairfax attack. (In other words, was his M.O. --- at that time --- rape AND murder right at the scene of the abduction, with only the body-disposal part at a more remote location. And might this have a bearing on other cases under current consideration?)

And another description:

http://www.c-ville.com/accused-hannah-graham-abductor-indicted-fairfax-sexual-assault/

Quote:

the victim was walking along Jermantown Road from the Giant grocery store in the City of Fairfax around 10pm when she was attacked from behind as she passed the Oxford Row Condominium complex on her way to a nearby apartment. The assailant carried her to a grassy area near a playground and pool at the rear of the complex, where he raped her and choked her to the point of unconsciousness. He was startled by a passerby and fled, according to a police release soon after the assault. Beaten bloody and disoriented, the woman made her way to a nearby unit, where the residents called 911.

It's hard to imagine he grabbed her on Jermantown and carried her to the playground. That's 550 feet past a lot of apartments.

http://patch.com/virginia/fairfaxci...rs-dna-solve-a-fairfax-rape-and-mor84c9a34d12

There's this one too: A 26-year-old woman was walking along Jermantown Road, carrying two full Giant grocery bags to her townhouse at around 10 one night in September 2005. She didn't get far before she sensed someone behind her.

The strange man said he was waiting for a friend, but something about him made her feel uneasy, said Det. Mike Boone, a Fairfax City Police Department violent crimes investigator who worked on the case. She kept walking and was almost at the front door of her townhouse when she heard his footsteps racing toward her. He grabbed her, lifted her and carried her into a dimly lit, wooded area near Rock Garden Drive, where he tried to strangle and rape her.

She screamed and fought. A neighbor heard her cries and walked to the edge of his driveway. He could hear her, but couldn't see what was going on. The attacker dragged her even farther into the darkness, but the neighbor didn't give up, remaining at the end of his driveway, searching.

Spooked, the suspect fled, leaving behind crucial DNA evidence in the blood and skin under his victim's fingernails.

Why would Camblos ask to be appointed to represent him in Fairfax?

http://patch.com/virginia/fairfaxci...rs-dna-solve-a-fairfax-rape-and-mor84c9a34d12

She kept walking and was almost at the front door of her townhouse when she heard his footsteps racing toward her. He grabbed her, lifted her and carried her into a dimly lit, wooded area near Rock Garden Drive, where he tried to strangle and rape her.

That's definitely more believable than carrying her all the way from Jermantown Road. He might have been able but it would have been extremely risky. It would be interesting to know just how far he did carry her without attracting attention.

Judge issues warrant to transfer Jesse Matthew to Fairfax County to face sexual assault charges

Fairfax County Commonwealth’s Attorney Ray Morrogh said in court Thursday that James Camblos, the attorney representing Matthew in Graham’s case, wants to be appointed by the court to represent him here as well.

Morrogh said after the hearing that it could take a week before Matthew is transported to Fairfax County.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/judge-issues-warrant-to-transfer-jesse-mathew-to-fairfax-county-to-face-sexual-assault-charges/2014/10/23/3eb696bc-5abd-11e4-b812-38518ae74c67_story.html

There's this one too: A 26-year-old woman was walking along Jermantown Road, carrying two full Giant grocery bags to her townhouse at around 10 one night in September 2005. She didn't get far before she sensed someone behind her.

The strange man said he was waiting for a friend, but something about him made her feel uneasy, said Det. Mike Boone, a Fairfax City Police Department violent crimes investigator who worked on the case. She kept walking and was almost at the front door of her townhouse when she heard his footsteps racing toward her. He grabbed her, lifted her and carried her into a dimly lit, wooded area near Rock Garden Drive, where he tried to strangle and rape her.

She screamed and fought. A neighbor heard her cries and walked to the edge of his driveway. He could hear her, but couldn't see what was going on. The attacker dragged her even farther into the darkness, but the neighbor didn't give up, remaining at the end of his driveway, searching.

Spooked, the suspect fled, leaving behind crucial DNA evidence in the blood and skin under his victim's fingernails

Aha! Thanks, ksj3 for posting this link. I had mentioned in a different thread that the DNA from this victim had come from under her fingernails, but could not find the link where I had read it. I wonder if JLM even knew that they had obtained DNA from this attack, since this article wasn't released until after Morgan's disappearance. It gives me hope that maybe there were some traces of his DNA left behind under MH's nails, as well, despite the three months in the elements.

Judge issues warrant to transfer Jesse Matthew to Fairfax County to face sexual assault charges

Fairfax County Commonwealth’s Attorney Ray Morrogh said in court Thursday that James Camblos, the attorney representing Matthew in Graham’s case, wants to be appointed by the court to represent him here as well.

Morrogh said after the hearing that it could take a week before Matthew is transported to Fairfax County.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/judge-issues-warrant-to-transfer-jesse-mathew-to-fairfax-county-to-face-sexual-assault-charges/2014/10/23/3eb696bc-5abd-11e4-b812-38518ae74c67_story.html

Now that's interesting - just a couple days ago Camblos said he would not represent JLM in the Fairfax case.

Why would Camblos ask to be appointed to represent him in Fairfax?

Probably thinking he is going to be the next Jose Baez JMO - but I'll be damned if this guys goes free! I am sure evidence is nicely piling up... it is just going to be a tangled web to decipher in court..."this dna in "case A" matches this shirt in "case B", this forensic evidence in "case B"matches this xyz in "case C" ....

The whole area around the pool/playground/complex in general just doesn't seem very secluded to me. Why would he do this so out in the open? If people from the apartments could hear her (man who looked but couldn't see anything), that is really close to the general public to carry out a rape/attempted murder. Just seems really strange and I don't get why he wouldn't have chosen a more wooded area. There's a whole chunk of woods right there next to the Middle School for example (to the right of the complex).

The whole area around the pool/playground/complex in general just doesn't seem very secluded to me. Why would he do this so out in the open? If people from the apartments could hear her (man who looked but couldn't see anything), that is really close to the general public to carry out a rape/attempted murder. Just seems really strange and I don't get why he wouldn't have chosen a more wooded area. There's a whole chunk of woods right there next to the Middle School for example (to the right of the complex).

I did read somewhere (I know, I need to find the link, again!) that she had walked on a path back to the apartments, and not on the main road. Considering that it was dark and there is a wooded patch there, he probably was acting more on impulse or drive than seriously thinking it all through. It seems that he's triggered into acting at this time of year -- what that trigger is, we don't know for certain, although it's been speculated by many here that it could have been losing his football dreams at Liberty.

We've seen from the incident with the attorney in 2010 that JLM has issues with rage. I'm guessing this is just another example of being driven to act without having control over his actions . . . yet. The premeditation seems to come into play later.

JMO, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member