JLM Charged in the Hannah Graham Case

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is this a full preliminary hearing or just motions? Due to start at 10:30 am.

Per news tweets, the Harringtons and JM's family are present. Haven't seen anything about the Grahams.

Thanks Hoosgirl! I don't follow twitter so I am very grateful for updates.

An update from Coy Barefoot this evening:

MEDIA ADVISORY - HEARING SCHEDULED IN JESSE MATTHEW CASE
A hearing in the Jesse Matthew case is scheduled for Wednesday, March 4, at 10:30 am in the Albemarle County Circuit Courthouse, Court Square, 501 East Jefferson Street, Charlottesville, VA. Mr. Matthew is scheduled to attend the hearing in person. Information regarding whether cameras will be permitted in the court room will be provided following the judge’s decision on this matter.
Aha, read down further and no electronic devices allowed in court. Darn, no wonder no twitter updates.

I hope cameras are allowed in for trial, or they make an exception for at least media to have e-devices.

Now reporting continued to an indefinite date and dna motion granted. On my phone so can't copy tweets but I'm sure articles will be out soon.

Mike Murillo ‏@MikeMurilloWTOP

#JesseMatthew's attorney Jim Camblos says the hearing turned out as they expected and that his client is "holding up."
https://twitter.com/MikeMurilloWTOP/status/573191842021416960

When looking at #JesseMatthew Gil Harrington didn't want to glare or stare at him."My role now is to witnesss."
https://twitter.com/MikeMurilloWTOP/status/573190898592419841

The defense says some DNA evidence in this case is still being analyzed by the state.
https://twitter.com/MikeMurilloWTOP/status/573192703133003776

Man Charged in Virginia Student's Slaying Appears in Court
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — Mar 4, 2015, 11:52 AM ET
By LARRY O'DELL Associated Press

[...]
John Graham peered over the top of his glasses at Jesse Matthew Jr., who is accused in the September 2014 disappearance and death of Hannah Graham, 18.

[...]
Harrington said she made eye contact with the handcuffed and shackled Matthew when he was brought into court.

"It's a strange feeling," she said.

[...]
The 33-year-old Matthew is charged with first-degree murder and abduction with intent to defile Graham.

A judge agreed to a defense request to delay a scheduled June 29 start to his and to provide a DNA expert.

A new trial date will be set on May 5.

Jesse Matthew hearing held at Albemarle County Circuit court
Motions granted, status review date set
by Chloe Heskett and Katie Grimesey | Mar 04 2015 | 1 hour ago

The Albemarle County Circuit court granted two motions filed by the defense in the case of the Commonwealth v. Jesse Matthew.

[...]
Defense attorney Jim Hingeley addressed the court regarding both motions. The first motion filed was to appoint a DNA expert to examine evidence, and the second was for a continuance of trial.

Hingeley said the requests were based on the need for funding to be authorized by the court as well as additional time needed to find and appoint an expert. The defense does “not have someone in mind,’ Hingeley said.

[...]
“It’s not just a matter of getting an expert,” Hingeley said. “There are some items that have DNA evidence in them that have not yet been analyzed by the Commonwealth.”

Hingeley said the time-table for identifying a DNA expert and analyzing the evidence is uncertain, and the current trial date set for June is too early.

Murder trial in U-Va. student Hannah Graham’s slaying delayed
By T. Rees Shapiro March 4 at 1:01 PM

[...]
The trial against Matthew was originally scheduled to begin in late June, but Higgins slated a status hearing for May 5 to set a new date for the trial, which is expected to last three weeks.

One of Matthew’s lawyers, public defender James Hingeley, said in court that the delay would allow the defense time to hire an expert witness to analyze DNA evidence gathered in the Graham case. Albemarle County Commonwealth’s Attorney Denise Lunsford said that her case will rely on DNA evidence at trial, and she said scientists are continuing to analyze evidence. She said previously that prosecutors plan to call 52 witnesses during the trial.

Thank you, bessie, for all the information. You're great.

Reports of the Harringtons and the Grahams being there, 'honor bound' with such strength in them to face him. Hoping justice is definitive.

Beautiful update pics from Help Find Hannah Graham FB

Jenna Van Dyke FB of Hannah Graham.jpg
From FHGFB.png

As much as I would like to see swift justice, I think the defense requests were reasonable and I think it's fair they were granted. My thoughts are with the Graham family, and the Harringtons as well.

Snipped by me for space

Murder trial in U-Va. student Hannah Graham’s slaying delayed
By T. Rees Shapiro March 4 at 1:01 PM

[...]
The trial against Matthew was originally scheduled to begin in late June, but Higgins slated a status hearing for May 5 to set a new date for the trial, which is expected to last three weeks.

One of Matthew’s lawyers, public defender James Hingeley, said in court that the delay would allow the defense time to hire an expert witness to analyze DNA evidence gathered in the Graham case. Albemarle County Commonwealth’s Attorney Denise Lunsford said that her case will rely on DNA evidence at trial, and she said scientists are continuing to analyze evidence. She said previously that prosecutors plan to call 52 witnesses during the trial.

Thanks, Bessie for the annotated update links. I just want to add that it was previously reported in The Washington Post that the prosecution plans to call 52 witnesses in the case.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...b05d32-b6de-11e4-9423-f3d0a1ec335c_story.html

Judge delays Jesse Matthew's trial, families react to decision
By Nadine Maeser, WDBJ7 / Mar 04, '15 6:04 pm, report also shows, Morgan's mom, Gil Harrington after court today.

Hannah Graham's parents see Jesse Matthew for the first time
Peggy Fox, WUSA 12:54 am March 5, '15

Judge delays trial in Hannah Graham case
Susan Bahorich /NBC12 On Your Side / Mar 04, '15 4:48 pm

Jesse Matthew's Albemarle County First-Degree Murder Trial Delayed
Henry Graff reports at 6 pm / NBC29 reports about what he saw in the courtroom today

Murder trial in case of U.Va. student delayed
By Neal Augenstein | WTOP | Mar 4, '15 2:11 pm

Albemarle judge agrees to delay in Jesse Matthew case, appointment of DNA expert
by Dani Kass Posted on Mar 4, 2015 with raw feed of the steadfast Gil Harrington's statement to the press

Judge delays Jesse Matthew trial so lawyer can find DNA expert
Laura French CBS 6 News Mar 4, '15 reports all the family members "made it a point to" look him in the eyes.

God bless the Graham and Harrington families. I also wish the reporters would leave JM's mom alone. She has suffered a loss as well...the son she gave birth to is a monster and is not the man she thought he was and this can't be easy for her.

http://m.wdbj7.com/news/judge-delays-jesse-matthews-trial-families-react-to-decision/31612500

OT
I recently saw the effect that a pyschopath has on friends and family here in our little town. A young man set fire to 2 large condos and several cars in Dec. killing two people, several dogs and left several people injured. Folks had to jump off their decks to escape the flames. One of the condos was a complet loss. The guy dated a young lady for 2-3- years who's parents and grandparents own 2 units in our six unit building. We homeowners were all stunned and in disbelief that he was arrested for this rampage and were grateful that our building was spared as the young lady had broken up with him just a few weeks before. He's from a nice family, fairly well off, college student and his life is ruined. You just never know what makes a psychopath a psychopath.

Judge David Schell has granted the motion filed by media to unseal court documents on the Fairfax rape case but only on a partial basis. From the Washington Post:

Media outlets and the public will have access to court documents related to the Fairfax County sexual assault case...

On Friday, Fairfax County Circuit Judge David S. Schell scaled back a previous ruling that sealed the bulk of the court papers in the case of Jesse L. Matthew Jr., 33. The judge ordered that only certain pretrial documents, such as responses to discovery requests and law enforcement notes, would remain sealed. Those documents could also become publicly available if they become part of the actual trial proceedings, Schell ruled.

Federal judge revises ruling....

Bessie,

can we start a new thread based on this news?

Isn't JM due to appear in court tomorrow in Charlottesville to face the abduction with intent to defile charge?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainsilversquirrel
Back