Joanne Johnson, 93, murdered in her Augusta, Kansas home, September 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From that link :
He said his daughter said she and her friend were walking in a park on the day of the murder when a white man came up to them and "coerced" them into going to Johnson's home. She said the man grabbed a rusty axe from Johnson's garage and beat Johnson to death.

Holy cow.
I'm not buying that a white man walked up to them and coerced them into this brutal crime.
Nope.
I get wanting to protect your kid, however... their excuse is ridiculous; imo.
Omo.
Interesting that the death was thought to be an “unattended death” (ie natural causes, a fall etc.) at first, was progressed to a homicide investigation and the girls’ excuse via their father is that a white man beat this poor innocent lady to death with an axe.

Could someone beaten with an axe possibly be misconstrued as having died of a fall when there would likely be impact wounds etc. that wouldn’t match up with an axe strike, particularly one supposedly perpetrated by “a white male” who would have the ability to swing the weapon with at least some force? Even a strike with the blunt side of an axe would leave an impact point dissimilar to hitting a flat surface such as a floor.
The only thing I could think of would be misidentifying an axe wound as an impact point from a sharp counter edge/corner etc.

Will be interested to hear more details, but what a horrible situation all around.

Original report that mentioned the killing progressing from an “unattended death” to homicide investigation
- Police: Woman dead in Augusta homicide

Interesting that the death was thought to be an “unattended death” (ie natural causes, a fall etc.) at first, was progressed to a homicide investigation and the girls’ excuse via their father is that a white man beat this poor innocent lady to death with an axe.

Could someone beaten with an axe possibly be misconstrued as having died of a fall when there would likely be impact wounds etc. that wouldn’t match up with an axe strike, particularly one supposedly perpetrated by “a white male” who would have the ability to swing the weapon with at least some force? Even a strike with the blunt side of an axe would leave an impact point dissimilar to hitting a flat surface such as a floor.
The only thing I could think of would be misidentifying an axe wound as an impact point from a sharp counter edge/corner etc.

Will be interested to hear more details, but what a horrible situation all around.

Original report that mentioned the killing progressing from an “unattended death” to homicide investigation
I think "unattended death" was a place-holder of sorts. They found a woman dead in her home, not in the hospital, not under at-home medical care. I expect it was a checkbox on a preliminary form - perhaps needed to proceed to the next steps of examining the body further, not meant to be a final determination.

That's my lay-person understanding. I don't read anything mysterious into it at all.

jmo

The MSM quoted is dated 9/5/2023, and I believe poorly written.

IMO, -- also taken out of context by reporter given a welfare check for a 93 yr old could easily be first assumed a natural causes death.

However, clearly, after officers arrived, a homicide was ruled upon a preliminary investigation.

I trust the most recent statement by the victim's family, EMPHASIZING the HEINOUS NATURE OF THE CRIME together with the suspects own words citing a rusty axe used on the victim puts the act in an accurate perspective.

Make no mistake, this was indeed a brutal, heinous act. MOO

8/17/24

"The family has no words, or ability to understand what has happened," Tim further lamented in the statement given to KWCH.

The victim's family acknowledged their unfamiliarity with the young suspects, emphasizing the heinous nature of the crime and their belief in stern repercussions regardless of the culprits' ages.
^^rsbm

The blunt side of an axe, could be fairly easily wielded by two, 13 year-old girls if they were so inclined. Further, it would do plenty of damage. It doesn't require an adult for that. MOO

The blunt side of an axe, could be fairly easily wielded by two, 13 year-old girls if they were so inclined. Further, it would do plenty of damage. It doesn't require an adult for that. MOO
Oh definitely, what I meant was that the girls’ excuse that a “white man” struck the elderly victim with an axe would likely leave a much different imprint than an accidental fall etc.
I’m not inclined at all to believe the excuse we have heard from the girls’ father.

I am interested to hear how the two suspects were tracked down by LE after what seemed to be an extended period of investigation. I wonder if one of the girls has felt guilty and told someone, be it a parent/family member or a friend and that has somehow reached LE as a tip.

They pled not guilty. No shocker.

AUGUSTA, Kan. (KWCH) - Two 14-year-old girls charged with first-degree murder in the death of 93-year-old JoAnne Johnson appeared in court virtually on Thursday.

The Butler County Court administrator confirmed that the girls appeared before Judge Lee. They were identified only by their initials, I.H. and A.W. Both entered not-guilty pleas.

The judge denied a formal request to release the affidavit in the case.

Both girls are expected back in court on October 31 at 9 and 10:30 a.m.

As expected, Judge denied release of the AA so no details for the public until trial-- and that's only if a local reporter attends the trial, and reports from Court.

8/29/24

AUGUSTA, Kan. (KWCH) - Two 14-year-old girls charged with first-degree murder in the death of 93-year-old JoAnne Johnson appeared in court virtually on Thursday.

The Butler County Court administrator confirmed that the girls appeared before Judge Lee. They were identified only by their initials, I.H. and A.W. Both entered not-guilty pleas.

The judge denied a formal request to release the affidavit in the case.

Both girls are expected back in court on October 31 at 9 and 10:30 a.m.

Last edited:
MOO, charging docs should have been released.

Generally, most states restrict juvenile records. Appears KS is no exception. But I also think serious felonies should be exempt from juvenile court. Brutal murders belong in adult Court and should be subject to conviction and not adjudication. JMO

According to Section 38–2304 of the Kansas Statutes, the district courts have original jurisdiction over juvenile cases. Records of these cases are created and stored at the courthouse, where they are heard and resolved. Access to juvenile records is restricted by law. Even then, authorized law enforcement agencies and the record holder may obtain these records.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanamburga
Back