John Travolta's son, autism and Scientology

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Children who need such medications do not react by being in a haze..

Something in their chemical or biological makeup reacts differently to medications.

I do not have a link .. just my own observations and conversations with Dr's
I can tell you that medications that would have knocked out a full grown adult have absolutely no effect on my son.
I have seen this to be true of other children as well.
Most often when medicating its a balancing act to find what would work on that specific child.. Its just trial and error.

Children who need such medications do not react by being in a haze..

Something in their chemical or biological makeup reacts differently to medications.

I do not have a link .. just my own observations and conversations with Dr's
I can tell you that medications that would have knocked out a full grown adult have absolutely no effect on my son.
I have seen this to be true of other children as well.
Most often when medicating its a balancing act to find what would work on that specific child.. Its just trial and error.

To Amraann and all the other moms and dads whose kids are dealing with Autism, I admire and respect you so much.

As a very fortunate parent of a healthy 10 year old I know that raising a kid these days is hard. I can only imagine what it is like when you are dealing with something like Autism.

You have also enlightened me a great deal. The next time I see a kid throwing a monster tantrum I won't judge. If appropriate, I will offer to help.

You never know what a person is going through until you attempt to walk in their shoes. I feel that I have been given a glimpse into your lives.

Thank you for sharing.

Tricia

I saw on E a couple days ago where John and Kelly were saying they are trying for another child and they hope for a son because they already have their princess.
Personally I thought that was not fair to Jett. sounds like they want a "normal" son

To Amraann and all the other moms and dads whose kids are dealing with Autism, I admire and respect you so much.

As a very fortunate parent of a healthy 10 year old I know that raising a kid these days is hard. I can only imagine what it is like when you are dealing with something like Autism.

You have also enlightened me a great deal. The next time I see a kid throwing a monster tantrum I won't judge. If appropriate, I will offer to help.

You never know what a person is going through until you attempt to walk in their shoes. I feel that I have been given a glimpse into your lives.

Thank you for sharing.

Tricia

Thank you Tricia .... I cannot tell you how much that means to parents of autistic children. (or those with any non-visable disability)
If you read the "what is autism" thread we have pretty much all commented about how we have endured those stares in the grocery store.
I was telling hubby of this thread today and about the "drug induced haze"

Let me tell you at this point I would sell my soul for a drug induced haze in that child.
Nothing works and every med says ... "may cause drowsyness" Heck!! Please, really when??????
Sorry if this is too off topic but nothing works and it is frustrating.
I will resume this rant on the appropriate thread.

It was a rough day with Richie...

Back to topic .... Although I am no fan of scientology AT ALL...
I cannot second guess how other parents of autisitics handle it.

I do on threads here that are about obvious outright neglect... but I can see both sides of the coin within the realm of not being cruel and even Dr's don't have the answers yet.
Until they do I am open to any method that works for that child.

Thank you Tricia .... I cannot tell you how much that means to parents of autistic children. (or those with any non-visable disability)
If you read the "what is autism" thread we have pretty much all commented about how we have endured those stares in the grocery store.

Let me tell you at this point I would sell my soul for a drug induced haze in that child.
Nothing works and every med says ... "may cause drowsyness" Heck!! Please, really when??????

I do on threads here that are about obvious outright neglect... but I can see both sides of the coin within the realm of not being cruel and even Dr's don't have the answers yet.

Hi Am!

Please hang in there. I know that sometimes it takes awhile to find the proper meds or cocktails, and sometimes they just peter out.
My nephew is having a hard time again. One of the meds he was on brought on Tourettes. He never had those symptoms when he was younger and now he is in a very bad cycle.

To everyone else who has been reading this and the Autism thread,

I am happy to hear that people are getting educated about these issues and maybe when they see a parent dealing with a meltdown, they will stop and think before judging.

I saw on E a couple days ago where John and Kelly were saying they are trying for another child and they hope for a son because they already have their princess.
Personally I thought that was not fair to Jett. sounds like they want a "normal" son

Wow...did those words come out of their mouths on camera, or were they quoted? I'm seriously hoping for a misquote, because otherwise...just wow :(

The Parade interview I posted above is about the same as far as time spent talking about the daughter vs. the son. If I recall, there is also only a family picture of the daughter with John and his wife....no son in sight. :(

Maybe he has chosen not to have publicity, and that is certainly his right!

Amra, you totally had me laughing re: sleepiness or drug-induced haze. You are soooo right, I WISH! LOL Mine is also on seizure meds and they are supposed to induce sleep. Not a chance. This child is the walking energizer bunny times 10.

Thank you also, Tricia, for your kind thoughts. I especially enjoyed hearing that you'll refrain from judging the next tantrum you see.

If one person has learned anything new in this thread, or changed the way they view children that are different...well, then it's been worth it. :blowkisses:

Wow...did those words come out of their mouths on camera, or were they quoted? I'm seriously hoping for a misquote, because otherwise...just wow :(
He said they wanted another boy, because they already had their princess...This was from johns mouth himself!

Yes dolceaura, this is one of the biggest clues when it comes to autism. My experience with an autistic child was he would do something very damaging then get the "blank look." Or when he was very young he would just sit there with the "blank look." This look is very obvious when you encounter it in a child with autism.

The ONLY reason I think this is an important discussion is the fact that Travolta is a huge star and is not afraid to state his beliefs in his "cult." I believe it is a cult.

If Jett is autistic and John is denying it then it becomes a big deal.

People look up to him. People may take their cues from him.

If he thinks his son doesn't have it (when he really does) then others in the public may think their kids are ok too. When in reality they need help.

dolceaura and Amraan have gotten their children the proper care and they have thrived in spite of their condition.

Someone's child may have the same symptons as Jett and they may be in denial because of Travolta's Scientology.

Below is a link that may explain Jett's size.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19375437/

Absolutely- I Sooooooooooooo agree with you! It is irresponsible of these celebs to speak out so negatively the way they do. They could seriously damage some crazy a$$ed fans who believe in them!

I wouldn't say that school shootings can be attributed to any ONE thing. There's a myriad of issues that are variable.

However, I am extremely concerned at the sheer numbers of children who are spending their childhood in a drug-induced haze with all the ADHD diagnoses and Ritalin and other drugs being dispensed at a record pace. I just recently learned that Ritalin isn't even FDA approved for childhood ADHD, yet it is the number one drug prescribed for children. ???

The expressionless face being talked about is called the "flat affect" and there are actually many problems/issues that can cause that.

yes, the school "system" diagnosed my son as ADHD when he was 12. Sent to child psychiatrist who became enraged when I challenged him on the Ritalin, turned it down.
My son, at the time said later, Mom, I think theres something wrong with HIM. lol
Well, anyways today to make a long story short, hes in his mid 20's, works at one of Top 100 US companies, professional level. I took him to an excellent school that had therapies which included relaxation techniques, wonderful support, they actually realized how bored he was, he was also gifted. They did ask me to try one medication which I did but he didnt like it and the side affects were kind of scary. Im glad he was never on anything long term. Ive never seen so much "labeling" that goes on in schools. At one point, the Public school system had him labeled gifted under achiever:rolleyes: I DO believe there are hyper active children and mine was one but today it actually helps him, he gets more done than the average person and even he does get bored if not challenged, probably functions better than most people.

With the autistic children, I have seen the blank, totally "youre not there" in MY world look, it is something you dont see in so called normal kids who interact.
I also believe there are different levels of Autism. JMO I feel sorry for the Travoltas, I totally believe Jetts problems are private and people shouldnt worry about Jett, Im sure he gets good care. If they dont believe drugs is the way to go, then its their business. Since they are Scientolgists, has anyone found out what they believe a treatment/cure would be?

Actually Tricia I am glad you said it first :)
I see it as well.. There is no way to tell based on two pics if its autism but I agree its is DEFINATELY something.
The second picture shows his eyes. You can see something there.
Also In the first picture you can see him tugging on his shirt.. that nervous type of thing I see often in my own son.. and is common in children with many different disabilities.

This is the first I've read about this. I, in no way, want to start any rumors about this child. The only thing that jumped out at me in the pictures ya'll posted was that in a few I saw what looked like Jett walking on his toes and then it seemed like he had his sweatshirt hood pulled over his head a few times (even when his mom had a tank top on so it probably wasn't that cold out). Both of those things can possibly be signs of a child with possible sensory integration issues (which can possibly be a characteristic of autism or something else).

I hope for this child's sake though, it is just rumors that his parents won't get him any help if he does have a disability. It did make me feel better to see a lot of pictures where he seemed "connected" to his parents, so if he does have autism, that is good to see him like that.

In fact, I'm trying to think of the last time I saw any child I know using this type of medication walking around in a drug induced haze. ~~shrugs~~

I'm sure there are, but I think the vast majority are being helped. And I've seen where some parents or guardians hold off on medication because of over-used phrases like "drug-induced haze". I know. I was one of them until we tried it for our children.

Gosh, isn't that the truth! As with many medications, the gains are so life changing (even life saving) that the possible risks are worth it!

The medications I take for my Bipolar cause Liver damage, Cognative issues, and there are major class action law suits because one of the medications is known to cause Diabetes (I'm not even going to go into all the "minor" side effects like weight gain and Diminished sex drive).. but, to ME, it is worth it to be sane!!

I'm so sick of hearing about drug induced hazes from people who have no idea what the "haze" we (people who take "psych" medications) lived in before our meds was like.

I get that medication isn't for everyone, I respect that...honestly, I do! But I'd also like for others to respect that there are those of us that choose to take meds or give our children meds and that the medications may just possibly work, they might just help us! We deserve the same respect we give to them, no?!

Ok ok- I'm shutting up now!!!

yes, the school "system" diagnosed my son as ADHD when he was 12. Sent to child psychiatrist who became enraged when I challenged him on the Ritalin, turned it down.
My son, at the time said later, Mom, I think theres something wrong with HIM. lol
Well, anyways today to make a long story short, hes in his mid 20's, works at one of Top 100 US companies, professional level. I took him to an excellent school that had therapies which included relaxation techniques, wonderful support, they actually realized how bored he was, he was also gifted. They did ask me to try one medication which I did but he didnt like it and the side affects were kind of scary. Im glad he was never on anything long term. Ive never seen so much "labeling" that goes on in schools. At one point, the Public school system had him labeled gifted under achiever:rolleyes: I DO believe there are hyper active children and mine was one but today it actually helps him, he gets more done than the average person and even he does get bored if not challenged, probably functions better than most people.

With the autistic children, I have seen the blank, totally "youre not there" in MY world look, it is something you dont see in so called normal kids who interact.
I also believe there are different levels of Autism. JMO I feel sorry for the Travoltas, I totally believe Jetts problems are private and people shouldnt worry about Jett, Im sure he gets good care. If they dont believe drugs is the way to go, then its their business. Since they are Scientolgists, has anyone found out what they believe a treatment/cure would be?

Scientologists don't believe illnesses are real and are a sign of weakness or failure. Other than vitamins, auditing and perhaps an assist there is no "treatment/cure" that Scientology allows.

I hope you don't mind me asking but how did the Seroquel work out for y'all?

"Scientologists don't believe illnesses are real and are a sign of weakness or failure. Other than vitamins, auditing and perhaps an assist there is no "treatment/cure" that Scientology allows."

Same as Christian Scientists then. I dont think they believe in Drs, etc.
Also Jehovah Witnesses....no blood transfusions. If youre a Mormom, no coffee:eek: Just thought Id throw the coffee one in there:)

I hope you don't mind me asking but how did the Seroquel work out for y'all?

I don't mind at all :blowkiss:

And its not working.. I have known people taking speed who were less hyper.

I wanted to comment on something I read on page 7 of this thread...
I don't think denying a disability is unique to Scientology.

I know plenty of people who refuse to acknowledge their child is autistic.

ETA: about meds, If I take benydryl because I feel stuffy... it makes me tired and irratable... If I take it because I am stung by a bee (I am allergic) while it will control my reaction it will not make me tired or irratable.
It has a totally different effect on me.

Hopefully all of us talking about it openly will change that:)

And the very important thing to realize is that everyone has their own "level of a particular disease" as well as a completely unique body chemistry. So while one may be quite functional without medication, that doesn't make medication "bad" especially for other people. There was a similar discussion here or on another board about depression. I know most had tried Effexor at some point and many felt it did nothing. I'm on it and it DOES help me.

So we can't make a blanket statement for or against medication with a disease. There are so many "different levels/categories" of autism and ANY disease and then you must also factor in a single patient's body chemistry.

So when a parent of an autistic child says their child only needed tailored education or activity without drugs and was fine, that doesn't mean that the other parents who are using medications for their child are wrong - especially if those meds are getting their child to a place where the child and family are happy with quality of life.

I don't mind at all :blowkiss:

And its not working.. I have known people taking speed who were less hyper.

I wanted to comment on something I read on page 7 of this thread...
I don't think denying a disability is unique to Scientology.

I know plenty of people who refuse to acknowledge their child is autistic.

ETA: about meds, If I take benydryl because I feel stuffy... it makes me tired and irratable... If I take it because I am stung by a bee (I am allergic) while it will control my reaction it will not make me tired or irratable.
It has a totally different effect on me.

Hopefully all of us talking about it openly will change that:)

Wow, no kidding- that surprises me! What kind of dosage do they have him on?

I used to take it for the Bipolar and it would knock me out- I mean OUT- for like 12-18 hours at a time. My body didn't even wake me to tell me to go pee and I'd wet the bed!! I was on between 100 and 200 mgs a night depending on the degree of my mania's.

Gosh, isn't that the truth! As with many medications, the gains are so life changing (even life saving) that the possible risks are worth it!

The medications I take for my Bipolar cause Liver damage, Cognative issues, and there are major class action law suits because one of the medications is known to cause Diabetes (I'm not even going to go into all the "minor" side effects like weight gain and Diminished sex drive).. but, to ME, it is worth it to be sane!!

I'm so sick of hearing about drug induced hazes from people who have no idea what the "haze" we (people who take "psych" medications) lived in before our meds was like.

I get that medication isn't for everyone, I respect that...honestly, I do! But I'd also like for others to respect that there are those of us that choose to take meds or give our children meds and that the medications may just possibly work, they might just help us! We deserve the same respect we give to them, no?!

Ok ok- I'm shutting up now!!!

I'm going to reply to this because I think you are directing this to me regarding my "drug induced haze" comment.

If you go back and read my post, you'll notice that I was specifically talking about children and ADHD and the ever-increasing amount of prescriptions written for children diagnosed with ADD/ADHD each year. This is a well-documented, often discussed problem that has been shown to be a cause of concern. There have been thousands of cases where a child is prescribed daily, long-term Ritalin/Adderrall dosing after simply being seen by their primary care physician for a mere 15-20 minute visit.

Are there kids who truly do need medication? Yes-without a doubt.
Are there kids who truly DON'T need medication, but have been hastily prescribed it large, long-term doses? Absolutely.

Autism and ADHD are profoundly different diagnoses, and I would never suggest that children with autism shouldn't be medicated or that they are medicated too much. Never. I'm not that dumb or shortsighted.

Bipolar and other mental health issues are also completely different from ADHD, and again I would never suggest that people with those issues shouldn't benefit from medication. You said you were so sick of hearing about drug induced hazes from people who have no idea....but again, I wasn't talking about bipolar or autism---those words weren't even mentioned in my post. I do, however, have an idea about irresponsible prescribing and ADHD diagnosing--which is what I was commenting on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charity4668
Back