Josh Powell Detained While Investigators Search Home

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm really not liking the feeling I'm getting from Merritt's quote. What a strange choice of words; he could have just as easily not said them. Was it a slip or an attempt to foreshadow and prepare people for an even more strange story of what happened to Susan?

Maybe he put that out there to throw JP and SP off..to give them a sense of ease. If they think that LE is far off from a conclusion and/or are exploring the possibility that Susan ran off as they say (which I don't believe they are)...it may keep them yakking and vulnerable if feeling less targeted. To offer a false psychological 'safety net' so they don't do something crazy if they feel Josh's arrest is imminent. They are certainly getting rattled from all the new investigation. LE has smoked them out of silence. Maybe they are concerned about a possible Ruby Ridge scenario? They are sure hating on LE.

I dunno. A weird statement.

OLD link (from 2009)

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2009/12/stockbroker_susan_powell_still.php

[snip]

Police have confiscated a journal she kept at work detailing the threats against her. And one of her coworkers said she once found a chilling note written by Susan that described how she'd never commit suicide. She had written it, says the coworker, so that her boys would know their mom would never desert them should she ever disappear.

......................if she wanted to assure her children that she would never commit suicide or desert them - then she is likely not to have run off with a random guy and never look back. How sad is it that she had to leave information at her work to ensure that it would be safe from destruction/alteration by those who supposivedly "loved her" (that would be Josh & Steven)

How sad that Susan couldn't just take a cab from work, grab both boys from the babysitter, pack some stuff and LEAVE? She had access to funds, could easily have got her own credit card from Wells Fargo -- and been back with her parents before Josh got home from "work".

Unfortunately, religious leaders (of all kinds) are more interested in protecting a nonfunctional family unit, than the individuals suffering within it.

In this article:

Investigators declined to discuss what pieces of evidence they gathered.

“What we have here today will help us draw closer to a conclusion,” Merritt said. “Whether it’s the conclusion that everybody wants and hopes for, we don’t know. It may be a conclusion that nobody wants to admit could happen.”

Huh????? What does this mean?

It means "she's dead".

"Everybody wants and hopes for" a happy ending.
He's preparing everyone for the obvious conclusion.

Jaycee and Elizabeth Smart were very young girls, impressionable and afraid of their STRANGER captors. Note also that both were held by a couple, not just one person. There's no comparison.

It really has me scratching my head as to why WVCPD wasn't tracking his every move from day 1. How did they not know he racked up so many miles on a rental car. Do they even have a clue as to when SP arrived in Utah? Seems like golden opportunity lost.

Several people knew what he was doing, and they didn't call police.
The neighbor (Peterson)
Jennifer Graves, who had the kids while Josh had the rental car.

Peterson even took him to return the rental car, and told the police afterwards.

How sad that Susan couldn't just take a cab from work, grab both boys from the babysitter, pack some stuff and LEAVE? She had access to funds, could easily have got her own credit card from Wells Fargo -- and been back with her parents before Josh got home from "work".

Unfortunately, religious leaders (of all kinds) are more interested in protecting a nonfunctional family unit, than the individuals suffering within it.

I've read comments from several of her friends (who were involved in the same church) who encouraged her to leave, a friend from WA who stopped having any contact with Josh and only kept FB contact with Susan. She mentioned early in the investigation that she witnessed Josh being too controlling in front of her and her husband while on a joint vacation. Another friend, the neighbor who made the swingset, disapproved of Josh and suggested Susan leave. Perhaps there were others, as well. Many knew that they had problems in the past, and believed that things were improving during the final year together. They said that Susan wanted to work things out.

For some unknown reason - she loved/was committed to Josh. I don't see anything in his personality that would be attractive. But she wanted to make it work.

I remember that Mr. Cox said that he purchased a cell phone and paid her monthly phone bills so she could always call him in an emergency. (He lives in WA, she lives in UT -- would have to be a big emergency to need to call her dad for assistance). He said that he wanted to make sure that she was never without a phone in the event of financial problems (didn't want them to cancel Susan's phone service for budget reasons). That suggests to me, that the Cox's (despite their public statements) had reasons to be concern about Susan. I remember he once made a statement that he asked if her marriage was okay. (I can't remember ever being asked by any person if my marriage was okay).

I don't believe that Susan was being pressured from the outside to make things work. I think she actually had encouragement to leave. I believe it was her desire to make the relationship work that led her to stay.

I honestly don't know what it was that she found good about Josh, but apparantly there was something.

The neighbor (Peterson)

Peterson even took him to return the rental car, and told the police afterwards.
If LE was suspicious enough to confiscate the van at that point, you would have thought they would also be tracking his every move. I can't believe they didn't. It didn't require info from anyone at the point if they were already looking at his van, they considered him a suspect early on. Yet he got a rental car and drove miles and miles.. and LE missed it. The car got cleaned, no GPS. Window of opportunity gone. No investigation is perfect...but you would have thought that tracking him from the get go would have been a no-brainer. Hopefully they have collected enough evidence to get him, despite that error.

The neighbor (Peterson)

Maybe they really didn't know quite what he was doing? Maybe they assumed that he rented a car (while his only other vehicle was with the police) and went to work for the normal work day? Maybe his getting a rental car didn't seem so crazy to them at the time.

I also believe that it was the rental car business that actually informed the police. I thought that after they saw the news in the papers, they thought it might be interesting to the police that he had put several hundred miles on the car within a 24 hour period. I think it was the mileage that seemed to be a red flag more than the fact that he rented a car.

Jennifer and the neighbor would not have known what mileage he had put on the car.

old link

http://www.abc4.com/mostpopular/sto...d-miles-on-rental/h1Q-Q0MW302LY8msQiSTWw.cspx

[snip]
After his van was taken by police under a search warrant, Powell rented a car at the Salt Lake Airport for the day. West Valley Police Captain Tom McLachlan said, "We do know a car was rented in his name and several hundred miles were put on it. Unfortunately, we don't have any GPS data. The company that rented the car doesn't store that data."

[snip]
When it was time to return the rental car, Peterson said Powell showed up at his house. He said Powell asked for a ride to the police station to get the van. Peterson also observed that Powell's hands were badly wind burned -- to the point where he thought they might have frost bite. He said Powell had a bottle of lotion with him that he frequently applied to his hands.

I've read comments from several of her friends (who were involved in the same church) who encouraged her to leave, a friend from WA who stopped having any contact with Josh and only kept FB contact with Susan. She mentioned early in the investigation that she witnessed Josh being too controlling in front of her and her husband while on a joint vacation. Another friend, the neighbor who made the swingset, disapproved of Josh and suggested Susan leave. Perhaps there were others, as well. Many knew that they had problems in the past, and believed that things were improving during the final year together. They said that Susan wanted to work things out.

For some unknown reason - she loved/was committed to Josh. I don't see anything in his personality that would be attractive. But she wanted to make it work.

Neighbor Tim Peterson was the person who was counseling them on their marriage; LDS church counseling seldom recommends a divorce. Counseling is what you go through, when you're trying to make it work.

When you're married for "time and eternity", and the husband is the patriarch you really have to leave behind part of your beliefs, when you leave the patriarch. (Per my cousin, who was married in the temple but later divorced her husband.)

This is NOT a comment on LDS beliefs; I've seen this happen to Catholic and Baptist couples, too.

I know many wanted her to leave, but she didn't.

old link

http://www.abc4.com/mostpopular/sto...d-miles-on-rental/h1Q-Q0MW302LY8msQiSTWw.cspx

[snip]
After his van was taken by police under a search warrant, Powell rented a car at the Salt Lake Airport** for the day. West Valley Police Captain Tom McLachlan said, "We do know a car was rented in his name and several hundred miles were put on it. Unfortunately, we don't have any GPS data. The company that rented the car doesn't store that data."

[snip]
When it was time to return the rental car, Peterson said Powell showed up at his house. He said Powell asked for a ride to the police station to get the van. Peterson also observed that Powell's hands were badly wind burned -- to the point where he thought they might have frost bite. He said Powell had a bottle of lotion with him that he frequently applied to his hands.

**This is the story I posted earlier, verifying that the rental was from the Salt Lake Airport, not the private-plane airport (which has no rental car facilities).

If people want to believe Steven Powell came into town to "help", this is when it would have occurred. Otherwise, Josh could have rented a car in several locations around the valley, not just the airport.

**This is the story I posted earlier, verifying that the rental was from the Salt Lake Airport, not the private-plane airport (which has no rental car facilities).

If people want to believe Steven Powell came into town to "help", this is when it would have occurred. Otherwise, Josh could have rented a car in several locations around the valley, not just the airport.
Good point. I hadn't connected those dots. I bet you are spot on. I wish I could narrow down in media reports when SP was first seen in WVC.

It sure does make you wonder doesn't it? If only....

Neighbor Tim Peterson was the person who was counseling them on their marriage; LDS church counseling seldom recommends a divorce. Counseling is what you go through, when you're trying to make it work.

When you're married for "time and eternity", and the husband is the patriarch you really have to leave behind part of your beliefs, when you leave the patriarch. (Per my cousin, who was married in the temple but later divorced her husband.)

This is NOT a comment on LDS beliefs; I've seen this happen to Catholic and Baptist couples, too.

I know many wanted her to leave, but she didn't.

http://www.examiner.com/family-in-s...-information-about-the-powell-s#ixzz1WFoA69Y3

[snip]
Peterson suggested she meet with the LDS Family Service counselor, as he’d done with his wife.
"She went to the marriage counselor hoping it would save their marriage," Peterson said.
[snip]
Susan discussed her first four marriage counseling sessions with Peterson, but once he suggested she divorce Josh because he didn’t appear to be making any effort to improve their marriage, she stopped.
[snip]
Though they had stopped talking about marriage counseling, they did stay in touch.

Peterson was not counseling them. He was a neighbor/friend. He recommended counseling because he and his wife benefitted from it. Susan began to tell him about her counseling sessions, but didn't like the feedback from Peterson was giving so she stopped telling him about them.

I have to wonder what lead LE to Ely Nevada. I doubt there were any eye witnesses that saw him. Phone pings from JP and/or SP? Wish I knew what has been going on behind the scenes..

Maybe they really didn't know quite what he was doing? Maybe they assumed that he rented a car (while his only other vehicle was with the police) and went to work for the normal work day? Maybe his getting a rental car didn't seem so crazy to them at the time.

I also believe that it was the rental car business that actually informed the police. I thought that after they saw the news in the papers, they thought it might be interesting to the police that he had put several hundred miles on the car within a 24 hour period. I think it was the mileage that seemed to be a red flag more than the fact that he rented a car.

Jennifer and the neighbor would not have known what mileage he had put on the car.

No, but they'd have known how long he "disappeared" for. He was a POI from the first; I can't believe WVC PD didn't ask others to let them know about strange events.

Renting a car = not strange.
Disappearing with it = strange.

Maybe at that time, they really did believe that someone "stole" Susan while Josh was darkness-sledding and midnight-camping?

I remember that Mr. Cox said that he purchased a cell phone and paid her monthly phone bills so she could always call him in an emergency. (He lives in WA, she lives in UT -- would have to be a big emergency to need to call her dad for assistance). He said that he wanted to make sure that she was never without a phone in the event of financial problems (didn't want them to cancel Susan's phone service for budget reasons). That suggests to me, that the Cox's (despite their public statements) had reasons to be concern about Susan. I remember he once made a statement that he asked if her marriage was okay. (I can't remember ever being asked by any person if my marriage was okay).

I don't believe that Susan was being pressured from the outside to make things work. I think she actually had encouragement to leave. I believe it was her desire to make the relationship work that led her to stay.

I honestly don't know what it was that she found good about Josh, but apparantly there was something.

Here are my thoughts on why she had not left him earlier---the kids. It seems that he was a doting father, and the kids adored him. It is pretty hard to be the 'mean' parent that drags the young kids away from dad, especially if he is a very involved father. And since she was the one with the steady work history, Josh probably played Mr Mom a lot, making it even harder for her to take the kids away. imoo

Peterson was not counseling them. He was a neighbor/friend. He recommended counseling because he and his wife benefitted from it. Susan began to tell him about her counseling sessions, but didn't like the feedback from Peterson was giving so she stopped telling him about them.

I don't want to be disagreeable, but Peterson had been counseling them. It's commonly done between Priesthood members.

Here's a reference from the mainstream media:

Salt Lake Tribune, 7 Jan 2010

"Peterson previously told The Tribune he'd been involved in helping provide marriage counseling to Susan and Joshua Powell. He'd encouraged the woman to leave Joshua Powell, calling him "an energy suck." Susan Powell stopped seeing Peterson for counseling when he suggested divorce.

A clearly distraught Peterson said after Wednesday's playground set incident that he's frustrated Powell isn't stepping up to assist in the search for his wife.

"If he is supposed to be the head of the home and he is supposed to be taking care of his wife Susan, where is he?" Peterson questioned.

"He's one of my neighbors. He is somebody I went to church with. If he is the leader of his home, where is he? Why isn't he taking care of his family? "

Here are my thoughts on why she had not left him earlier---the kids. It seems that he was a doting father, and the kids adored him. It is pretty hard to be the 'mean' parent that drags the young kids away from dad, especially if he is a very involved father. And since she was the one with the steady work history, Josh probably played Mr Mom a lot, making it even harder for her to take the kids away. imoo

Well said, katydid.

Josh seems more like a large child, than an adult.

old link

[snip]
After his van was taken by police under a search warrant, Powell rented a car at the Salt Lake Airport for the day. West Valley Police Captain Tom McLachlan said, "We do know a car was rented in his name and several hundred miles were put on it. Unfortunately, we don't have any GPS data. The company that rented the car doesn't store that data."

[snip]

WTH? What is that all about? I spent a lot of time in the snow because I skiied for years. The only way I know of to get wind burned quickly is to have WET SKIN out in the freezing wind. I am trying to figure out how he managed to get severe wind burn that day.

He was not wearing gloves apparently, but why not? Did he lose them, OR HAVE TO DISPOSE OF THEM. Did he dump them when he hid the body because he was afraid of trace evidence on them? Did he dig in the snow with bare hands?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynthialynn13
Back