Kathi Belich as a Defense Witness? Seriously?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
GO KATHI B!!!!!! Woot!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...-statements-not-used-20110228,0,5124246.story

"Under Florida's reporter's privilege statute, Ms. Belich has a qualified privilege not to be a witness concerning, and not to disclose, information she obtained while actively gathering news in the normal scope of her employment,unless the defense proves the information is relevant to unresolved issues, cannot be obtained elsewhere and a compelling interest exists for disclosing the information, according to the filing." ..
The motion, filed by media attorneys Rachel Fugate and Gregg D. Thomas, says the defense has not "made the requisite showing to defeat application of the privilege."

Keeping fingers crossed. I sure don't want Baez to be able to get away from keeping KBelich out of the courtroom.

Keeping fingers crossed. I sure don't want Baez to be able to get away from keeping KBelich out of the courtroom.

Sun, for some reason I think that is what exactly JB is doing..It is and was no secret KB was treated with contempt by Jose over and over again....but for him to actually put her on the stand could be devistating to HIS case..as she would then be open to cross (friendly cross) to expose many BAD things that Jose has spent 2+ years trying to quash.....So, in the end..it is truly a personal thingy..to keep her out of the Courtroom...

LOL..Jose is really his own worse enemy...I dont think she was on the Pros. Witness list..so it seems more a personal thing :loser:

I love it that it is HER attorneys that filed a motion!! Go KB! Can't wait to read it! From the articles, they used the privilege that AZ mentioned within five minutes of hearing about this.

I love it that it is HER attorneys that filed a motion!! Go KB! Can't wait to read it! From the articles, they used the privilege that AZ mentioned within five minutes of hearing about this.

Good for your attorneys KB!!!! I'm pizzed @ Baez antics. THank goodness they are right on top of this!!:great:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...-statements-not-used-20110228,0,5124246.story

"Under Florida's reporter's privilege statute, Ms. Belich has a qualified privilege not to be a witness concerning, and not to disclose, information she obtained while actively gathering news in the normal scope of her employment,unless the defense proves the information is relevant to unresolved issues, cannot be obtained elsewhere and a compelling interest exists for disclosing the information, according to the filing." ..
The motion, filed by media attorneys Rachel Fugate and Gregg D. Thomas, says the defense has not "made the requisite showing to defeat application of the privilege."

Probably because Jose doesn't understand what that means ? :loser:

Me too, Sun but I don't think these lawyers, Fugate and Thomas, have lost yet on any of the issues they've had to defend in this case, have they?

Yay, Kathi B ... you go girl !! Sit right behind Cynthia on Wednesday !!

This day just keeps getting better and better ... we're in for a great week I think ! :)

Sun, for some reason I think that is what exactly JB is doing..It is and was no secret KB was treated with contempt by Jose over and over again....but for him to actually put her on the stand could be devistating to HIS case..as she would then be open to cross (friendly cross) to expose many BAD things that Jose has spent 2+ years trying to quash.....So, in the end..it is truly a personal thingy..to keep her out of the Courtroom...

LOL..Jose is really his own worse enemy...I dont think she was on the Pros. Witness list..so it seems more a personal thing :loser:

I'm pretty sure it was a personal attack on her and that Mason initiated it ... IMO

When I heard about Jose putting her on the witness list, I thought it had something to do with the duct tape on the poster at the command center that she uncovered in one of WFTV videos .. then I thought well THAT's stupid, why would he want testimony about that from her ??? :waitasec:

But no, it really seems he was just trying to keep her from the trial ... :doh:

I noticed in the motions sections that there is an order for a hearing for K. Belchi, but cannot open. Does anyone when this would be? TIA

I noticed in the motions sections that there is an order for a hearing for K. Belchi, but cannot open. Does anyone when this would be? TIA

WFTV has asked to be heard at either the 3/3 hearing or whenever is best possible to schedule, so we will probably see the KB motion to strike addressed Wednesday or Thursday.

I can't imagine it will take a lot of time. The case law quoted in the WFTV filing pretty clearly illustrates that rebuttal of a witness is not sufficient or compelling reason to override the statutory journalistic privilege in Florida. The reporter would pretty much have to be testifying to a direct material matter in the case, and not simply being used to rebut or challenge a witness. HHJP will ask the defense "does this witness offer any direct testimony regarding the crime for which the defendant is accused"? When the answer is the normal drooling defense hemming and hawing without a simple yes or no, HHJP will strike her from the witness list.

Thanks for the info, re: K. Belchi witness motion to hear. Just read now. I do not think it's going to be a good day for Mr. B:loser:

From the motion:
15. Counsel for WFTV attempted to confer with Defendant's counsel, but has been unable to resolve the matter. :banghead:

Why did JB want Kathy on his witness list?

The general drift of it was she was trying to lead Maya D to change her testimony when she interviewed her. Part of the big ole conspiracy. HHJP said hockeypuckeys - denied.

Something I noted during the hearing, was Baez dropping the "intimidating a witness" line... I ponder if this was nothing but a ploy to try to get legal hooks in Kathi to maybe later try to get her charged with a crime to get one over on her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back