KatieCoolady Holds 'Court' - The Dedicated KCL Thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Knowing what I know of you from what you write ... I think you will love it. All else aside one or two of the cast are well ... let's just say ... easy on the old eye, if you catch me drift? :heartbeat:

The archaic syntax of the dialogue (very authentic if you listen to speech patterns from that era) are a bit tricky in the beginning. Think Victorian Shakespeare (a poor analogy, but the best I can think of) but once you get into it, it becomes second nature. First episode or two you might find yourself rewinding 'what did they say? :floorlaugh:' I did and I'm a Brit! .. but eventually you settle into it and it's bril.

Great old fashioned crime drama - fabulous set, plotlines - a bit dark and gruesome on occasions, but let's face it Victorian London was dark and gruesome ... but such a great series.

Let me know how you go with it Katie if you do decide to buy it? I'd love to hear what you think.

Oh I'm getting it. I go to a spa in July that has no tv or internet (ahhh) and I always bring my mini dvd player and watch some kinda mini series or something at night before bed when I'm not reading...so this will be it this year! Yay! It's not expensive either. I'll letcha know. And as long as it's not Nurmambic Pentameter I'm all good. :floorlaugh:

CEO being foreman would have been nice. At least he might have tried to get a verdict.

I regret watching the ABC15 interview.

The foreman seems like he actually likes Jodi as a person and that, without actually saying it, that he blames Travis for the change in her. He said "she was a normal, healthy, and vibrant woman the first 27 years of her life." He also said that during the 18 days Jodi was on the stand there was not a point that he didn't like her.

I am glad I did not watch him and I think I will never watch them. I was feeling better but now I feel sick all over again.

Oh I'm getting it. I go to a spa in July that has no tv or internet (ahhh) and I always bring my mini dvd player and watch some kinda mini series or something at night before bed when I'm not reading...so this will be it this year! Yay! It's not expensive either. I'll letcha know. And as long as it's not Nurmambic Pentameter I'm all good. :floorlaugh:

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh: No not Nurmambic Pentameter thank heavens lol.

Here's a taster of what I mean in terms of dialogue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO1gpRyn28A

Well then you are official desert dwellers!

I love the whole atmosphere! We r water people, so the river, lake mojave, lake havasu , etc. Really appeal to us!
We r in oc cali, but buying at the beach is crazy dollars! Just fir the land.....even inland!!!

I want to share something along the lines what our thread Prethident Lady Edith posted earlier about sometimes things not being as they seem...and a better plan unfolding that you may not know about or see at the time.

Please forgive if I'm repeating myself but this bears repeating now I think.

When the verdict came in I was with my brother who broke in to tears, put his hand over his tearful eyes and said "I feel just like I did when they let Rudi off Death Row". They argued for 7 years to get the man who slit my sister's throat AND his brother who masterminded the plot for money off DR on a mental retardation claim. It was completely insane if you knew the facts of the case. But as soon as the Supreme Court issued a ruling that the mentally retarded cannot be executed many DR inmates become mentally retarded overnight including Cindy's killers. It was kind of a "test case" in AZ with one trier of fact , a Judge who ruled EVERYTHING for the defense and nothing in our favor. I could go on and on about the abuses levied at my family during those years --far worse than anything we ever experienced during the criminal process (which was very very mild) up to the moment of the resentencing of the one let off death row where his attorney turned and addressed me in open court offering me and my family an apology.

Right before I stepped up to kick his *advertiser censored** with a Victim Impact Statement.

Anyway, it was horrible, just horrible and exhausting and devastating. To watch my then 78 yr old father in court every day, testifying, reliving 18 years later and the ways we were disrespected and flat out abused, just horrible. And then, one of them was granted the reprieve. Horrifying. Luckily he was given consecutive life WITH parole sentences so he will be a. never let out of prison and b. forgotten.

This case brought up all that again for my dear brother.

But after hugging and crying, I sat him down and reminded him of the reality of that situation. It was a very healing conversation for us to have as Alfonse really fell apart during those trials and we just never really talked about all that..now was the time.

Those brothers were on the same situation JA will likely get--23 hrs per day in max security BUT their cells were above each other so they could communicate all day in their native tongue thru the vents. What a luxury for that kind of deprivation. Imagine if JA was in a cell all day with someone she actually cared about (cough) in a cell next to her she could talk to all day vs well nobody. it was huge..and a huge LOSS. So we lost our sister, they ultimate lost each other when one was let off DR and moved to an entirely different part of the State. The only way they will ever lay eyes on each other again is if the one invites the other to his execution. Careful what you ask for. Poetic justice.

It's funny because in a convoluted slam at me, Kiefer mentioned that appeal and how I've "never been the same since" while at the same time blaming ME for "changing in to a completely different person" (he did not mean this as a compliment). Odd as he's not even seen me since that time at all. It was clear he was making a statement about how the DP "ruins" victim's families but at the same time it's our own fault because we agreed to the DP in the first place. He was really using it as an example to bolster all the slams at the Alexanders he was making as if all the horrible things they were hearing about Travis was their own fault for not taking the plea. This is how convoluted these things get. Pure "blame the victim" plain and simple.

But I digress...because the moral of this long tale is that even though the result of that arduous appeal was devastating to us, in the long run it ended up MUCH BETTER. He got separated from his brother meaning a deeper punishment for them BOTH and at the same time, people stopped appealing for him and he ended up. ..............forgotten and locked away for life where we don't have to hear about him again.

See what I mean? There could be something going on here that has a silver lining we just can't see right now. And that's where I really want to do my best to stay open to.

This IS a good vs evil story at play here and I believe with all my heart the GOOD will prevail.

In the meantime, I want to keep supporting the family as really that's the only thing that truly makes sense to me and I can have some control over.

Ok...long winded post...thanks for indulging me and hope it rings somewhere in some of you too.

xoxo

Yes, thank you KCL, it was beautiful the way you put it. I have thought that this could be good in that it gives the family a chance for a condensed trial where the jury will not be able to get connected to CMJA. I really feel that situation is way better than this one, where they dealt with her for 5 months, and some formed a bond as we see very clearly in the Foreman.

This way, the jury sees CMJA for what she is - a cold-blooded killer. It will be much harder for them to humanize her. She will just be a killer sitting there. I know she will probably testify, but it will be much shorter amount of time.

Yes, it would have been good to get the death penalty this time, but they do get another chance, and another chance with a less biased jury in terms of time spent with CMJA, and also they will have this jury's own words as to how they thought (this could help defense too, though.) And if it does end of being LWOP, like you said that it also okay, CMJA will be sent off and forgotten about, grow old and ugly.

I really think the jury having as little contact as possible with CMJA will be very helpful next time around for Juan.

I read Travis' affirmations below and it occurs to me that he was going through a renewal of faith himself before JA killed him. He was washing her out of his system (despite her EVERY attempt to remain firmly entrenched within), he was writing a blog, laying out all of his bold goals for all to see. He was serious about kicking the Jodi drug habit. I think this is what prompted Jodi to record their phone call for the express purpose of blackmail. She knew she could steer the conversation to fantasies at some point. I further believe on may 26, or thereabout, she made him aware of the tape and threatened to post it on her page. Or send it to Mimi. He went ballistic on her in text messages and the rest we know...

When I saw Samantha speak about Travis during the aggravation phase I felt a lump in my throat and a sting in my nostrils. She spoke of his extraordinary kindness to outsiders and the less fortunate. That's how JA wormed her way in initially.

It sickens me that Travis' finest qualities were used against him. What sickens me more is that Juror #18 channeled Don Quixote from the minute he laid eyes on the defendant.

Last night I defended the jurors. I'm still defending 11 of them. The foreperson has me shaking my head.

To cope with yesterday's non-verdict I purposely went to the realitysteve website and read the spoilers for the upcoming Bachelorette show. I was afraid I would watch it all summer and be left with a non verdict on the final rose show. Couldn't have that. Then, this morning at 5 am I bought new cookware. You have to love a Bloomingdale's sale. :floorlaugh:

Enjoy the holiday weekend. I do believe God works in mysterious ways. Perhaps a new jury won't have any Quixotes.

I hit the generic reply button twice and this quoted post randomly showed up in the box...twice. So..I guess I needed to read it again.

And I'm respectfully snipping it to the last part to attempt to refocus our vibe here. Seeing some not so niceness showing up in quotes and now I get the request for the alert button.

I had a foot AND hand massage tonite and my brother's homemade spaghetti. I got my vino fix last night with my "wine guru" date so...tonite has been a recovery day. Now I'm in search of some chocolate victory dust.

Know what? I'm gonna refocus myself with Travis' affirmations which I've been wanting to read all day again--went looking but I found this instead:

The difference between a Stumbling Block and Stepping Stone is the Character of the individual walking the path. To me this is a lesson learned that any of us no matter what lot we have been given in life, can, like the Phoenix rise from out of the ash and accomplish absolutely anything that we choose to. All that is required is that we acknowledge what we have and the source of where it comes. Once we have done that our own limbs become unbound and we become free to do and have anything. - Travis Alexander

Yes.
Can u I.imagine being one of thos jurors? They have been thru alot!
Silently!
For months!
For him to be the only speaker of their ordeal?
I dont think so!!!!!!!
Talk about candidates for PTSD!!!

I don't think he's even coming close to describing the majority's experience.

Headed to bed y'all...thanks for lifting my spirits tonite. :seeya:

Nite nite.

It's 9.30am here and the sun is shining (a rare thing for us :floorlaugh:) so I'm going to go for a walk up on the downs.

Sleep tight and don't worry. All will be well.

I don't think he's even coming close to describing the majority's experience.

I dont either.
Its not his responsibility.
I really want to hear from the other jurors re deliberations.
They dont need to speak of their personal vote tho or anybody else-
I just want to interview and im nobody to influence anyone.
I just want to know.

I could be wrong, but I think the 'innocent until proven guilty' quote from the foreman might be being taken out of context or getting muddled. I'm basing what I'm about to say on the abc interview, when he was talking about her time on the stand.

I personally got confused by a quote earlier and I got the context wrong (I didn't realise that he made the comment about wanting to defend her because she was trashed by the media in the context of "I found out after the admonition was lifted" and I said that he shouldn't have known the media was trashing her and he shouldn't have let it sway his decision while deliberating). So I'm definitely not directing any criticism towards you. The same thing happened to me. To be honest I'm a bit reluctant to defend him because I wasn't impressed by what he said, but I think in all fairness his words should be used correctly.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/jodi-arias-trial-jury-foreman-interview-william-zervakos-19248927

Starting at 3.30 - whether her time on the stand hurt or helped her:

There could be another quote, I've only listened to this interview (I think, it's a bit of a blur). And I'm sick of his voice now that I've listened to that part about 20 times while I typed it out!! But to me, that part sounded like he was saying "we were meant to think she was innocent until we proved her guilty, but her time on the stand made that part hard for us".

Just moo.

Fruity, if you watch the Inside Edition interview, you'll see that in that one he is clearly talking about the public hatred of CMJA and wanting her to get the death penalty, basically the whole "mob mentality" Nurmi keeps bringing up. That's where he says something along the lines of in our justice system, we have innocent until proven guilty and basically he was saying that the "mob" mentality against CMJA wasn't good. But my point is that he says he was first made aware of this "mob" Thursday after the admonition was lifted, and he was referring to the present tense, WHERE JA HAS ALREADY BEEN CONVICTED OF THE CRIME. So what he says doesn't make sense, it's just to defend CMJA is whatever way he can.

Yes, I agree with you in the ABC interview he's talking about it in the sense of they as a jury had to keep an open mind.

All that trial and they deliberate for 13 lousy hours? Thanks, judge heck of a job. What kind of a tinker toy verdict is that? A "Not unanimous" unanimous verdict, what where they sick of the lunch menu?

Wilmott and Nurmi are laughing their azzes off at this chump. You get a load of this guy? What does it take foreman? Who gets the DP in your book? This guy will never live this down, betcha.

I can't believe we were still reeling over Thursday's shock, only to have us pounded down further by the Foreman's remarks. I have a feeling we'll be seeing him sitting with Samuels, ALV, and Nurmi in some Phoenix restaurant in the near future. Oh, add Darryl Brewer to that mix too. Some combination.

I have to believe the family is hearing some of this and they must just not be able to believe their ears. Feel soooooo bad for them. I know what is the worst for me personally is that I know CMJA is going to get so much satisfaction when she hears what this guy is saying. I think that's really what is gonna get the family down the most, too. Knowing that CMJA wanted this (to dupe the jury), and she got it conveyed to at least one person on the jury.

But we have to remember that we still got M1 conviction. And the Foreman's words can't take that away, and he still voted for M1 so we have to thank God for that. He could have easily held out on that one, he doesn't seem to care that much about Travis' family or public opinion. He seems like the type that digs in his heels. I am honestly very surprised that he voted with M1, and will be interested in other jurors' description of the Guilt phase of the trial. As I said before, knowing what we know now about him, this whole trial could have gone horribly, horribly wrong. But it didn't. There was just a setback in the last phase.

I hope that lifts people's spirits a little bit. I hope the family can ignore his media blitz, and hopefully there are other, more wise, jurors who will speak up for Travis.

Fruity, if you watch the Inside Edition interview, you'll see that in that one he is clearly talking about the public hatred of CMJA and wanting her to get the death penalty, basically the whole "mob mentality" Nurmi keeps bringing up. That's where he says something along the lines of in our justice system, we have innocent until proven guilty and basically he was saying that the "mob" mentality against CMJA wasn't good. But my point is that he says he was first made aware of this "mob" Thursday after the admonition was lifted, and he was referring to the present tense, WHERE JA HAS ALREADY BEEN CONVICTED OF THE CRIME. So what he says doesn't make sense, it's just to defend CMJA is whatever way he can.

Yes, I agree with you in the ABC interview he's talking about it in the sense of they as a jury had to keep an open mind.

Thanks, I need to watch that interview. Is there a link to it around here somewhere? I found a link earlier but I couldn't get it to work.

I'm utterly devastated. Not that there was a hung jury but at the things the foreman has been saying.

If he finds it unfair that the jury gets to decide between life or death why on earth did he agree to be a juror in this case? Had he revealed his opinion during jury selection JM would have tossed him out in a second!

He wants JA to find PEACE? After looking at those autopsy photos how can he possibly say that? Who says that on a criminal's behalf before even the sentencing phase is complete? He should have talked about accountability, punishment, remorse etc. but PEACE? I'm so mad I can almost not breathe!

Does he want to punish Travis' family or does he want publicity? In any case I hope they don't listen to this BS.

She is leaving HLN. She did share w me what's next for now but I'm not sure I can share it. Not covering live trials though :( but we haven't seen the last of her. She's also still looking for other options.

Thanks for this! I so very much want to hear and see Beth in a good position. I have enjoyed her perspective on trials for so many years. A classy lady!

BBM--A sentence of 1st degree murder is a strange way of defending someone.

alternet jurior told arizonia republic ..she would have voted dp Jodi showed no remorse and didn't believe abuse...none will tell who didn't want dp but gender had nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member