KatieCoolady Holds 'Court' - The Dedicated KCL Thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
KCL, I've been reading your blog and your posts here about John. It moved me to go read on Wikipedia about Schizophrenia and I ran across the following quote that made me wonder if John's smoking means that he needs a higher dosage of whatever meds he is on.

"It is of interest that cigarette smoking affects liver function such that the antipsychotic drugs used to treat schizophrenia are broken down in the blood stream more quickly. This means that smokers with schizophrenia need slightly higher doses of antipsychotic drugs in order for them to be effective than do their non-smoking counterparts.[citation needed]"

This is also talked about a little in another Wikipedia article "Schizophrenia and Smoking":

"Though smoking may help relieve symptoms of schizophrenia, smoking also counteracts the effects of antipsychotic medication. Smoking results in faster metabolism of antipsychotics, which results in smokers being prescribed higher doses. Studies are unclear as to whether changes in smoking are caused by changes in symptoms, side effects of medication, or primary effects of medication.[2][3]"

You probably already know all of this, but on the off chance that you don't, I thought it might be a missing piece to the puzzle. I'm SO not suggesting that you take John's cigarettes away! :noooo: Just doing a little accidental sleuthing and wondering if they need to raise his meds dose.

I really feel the frustration you and Karmiclaw have discussed about the apathy and inattention to detail in the medical field. It drives me nuts, and I'm not dealing with anything as frustrating as you are! I think they must be too overloaded and overwhelmed to think straight. John is sooooo fortunate to have you.

I hope it helps to know we care. And I wish you a wonderful vacation. :seeya:

I sit here and agonize over the mental anguish your brother must be going through. Having worked in the field, it is not easy for the patient. Paranoid S. are the most difficult to treat....well, at least they used to be. It has been a few years, and I never had one that would take meds. I am glad to hear your brother does.

When I worked in a State facility, I would love to get calls from the family. It was a resource and greatly appreciated. Of course, even back then, staff would tell us not to speak with them unless the pt signed a waiver. It was rare to to see a pt give permission. A paranoid never would. I still tried to get information.

A few years ago, I worked in a private institution. That was a whole different ballgame. The people that worked and gave out meds were not even licensed. They had no rapport with any dr and could not get a dr, if at all. The pt had to wait, sometimes a month for a change in meds, if at all. Had one pt on vicoden x6 a day (three of which she didn't take) and could never get her off of it because no dr cared to read my notes and I was not allowed to call. Mental Health tx has sure changed.

Oh KCL, I am so sorry you are going through this with Alfonse. Sometimes it must seem it is like you against the world. Funny how in nursing school we are taught to be fierce patient advocates, yet a lot of nurses now seem to be complacent and seem to simply not care. Advocating for my patients did not always make me popular with the docs, but it was a source of personal and professional pride.

I truly hope you can leave on your vacation with a sense of peace and know you have done everything possible. At some point, His mental health team needs to take charge so you don't have to. Compassion fatigue runs rampant in caregivers, and the tank you run on gets emptier more quickly the faster and more you do. Hope your time away brings you a renewed energy, some much needed rest and happiness. ((( )))

I sit here and agonize over the mental anguish your brother must be going through. Having worked in the field, it is not easy for the patient. Paranoid S. are the most difficult to treat....well, at least they used to be. It has been a few years, and I never had one that would take meds. I am glad to hear your brother does.

When I worked in a State facility, I would love to get calls from the family. It was a resource and greatly appreciated. Of course, even back then, staff would tell us not to speak with them unless the pt signed a waiver. It was rare to to see a pt give permission. A paranoid never would. I still tried to get information.

A few years ago, I worked in a private institution. That was a whole different ballgame. The people that worked and gave out meds were not even licensed. They had no rapport with any dr and could not get a dr, if at all. The pt had to wait, sometimes a month for a change in meds, if at all. Had one pt on vicoden x6 a day (three of which she didn't take) and could never get her off of it because no dr cared to read my notes and I was not allowed to call. Mental Health tx has sure changed.

That's crazy! That private institution I mean. I have to say I was lucky having worked in pretty elite settings in comparison to everything I'm seeing now. Private rooms, primary nursing care. I had 3-5 patients per shift, lots of time to spend one on one with them. My next job was equally as good in terms of time to spend with patients more in case management. Gone are those days I guess...

Your post makes me feel grateful for so many things. John will always give me as a contact person, he is usually compliant with meds and trustworthy. It could be so much worse.

Thanks for the love guys. :seeya:

KCL, I've been reading your blog and your posts here about John. It moved me to go read on Wikipedia about Schizophrenia and I ran across the following quote that made me wonder if John's smoking means that he needs a higher dosage of whatever meds he is on.

"It is of interest that cigarette smoking affects liver function such that the antipsychotic drugs used to treat schizophrenia are broken down in the blood stream more quickly. This means that smokers with schizophrenia need slightly higher doses of antipsychotic drugs in order for them to be effective than do their non-smoking counterparts.[citation needed]"

This is also talked about a little in another Wikipedia article "Schizophrenia and Smoking":

"Though smoking may help relieve symptoms of schizophrenia, smoking also counteracts the effects of antipsychotic medication. Smoking results in faster metabolism of antipsychotics, which results in smokers being prescribed higher doses. Studies are unclear as to whether changes in smoking are caused by changes in symptoms, side effects of medication, or primary effects of medication.[2][3]"

You probably already know all of this, but on the off chance that you don't, I thought it might be a missing piece to the puzzle. I'm SO not suggesting that you take John's cigarettes away! :noooo: Just doing a little accidental sleuthing and wondering if they need to raise his meds dose.

I really feel the frustration you and Karmiclaw have discussed about the apathy and inattention to detail in the medical field. It drives me nuts, and I'm not dealing with anything as frustrating as you are! I think they must be too overloaded and overwhelmed to think straight. John is sooooo fortunate to have you.

I hope it helps to know we care. And I wish you a wonderful vacation. :seeya:

yes schizophrenia and smoking is like bread and butter. John didn't really smoke at all until he had that break. He smokes like a fiend when in a bad episode and when he's not, he will talk about quitting. I asked him about it this weekend and he said it helps him cope with the voices. Who knows?

It seems more a symptom of his episodes than a cause...but maybe a vicious circle. All I know is he went from close to 3 packs a day the last few days to 8 cigarettes a day in the hospital and he's not complaining. Which in itself is a miracle!

It sure sounded real up-scale at the places you were employed, Katie. May I assume it was more neurotics than psychotic? I worked in a private one but it was for Borderlines (dual dx). That put me completely out of the mental health field. There were 14 female Borderlines....:scared:

I only knew of one patient with that dx before working there and that person was a cutter. I got the surprise of my life being around them...and want nothing to do with Borderlines who have a combined pathology along with it.. EVER~

It sure sounded real up-scale at the places you were employed, Katie. May I assume it was more neurotics than psychotic? I worked in a private one but it was for Borderlines (dual dx). That put me completely out of the mental health field. There were 14 female Borderlines....:scared:

I only knew of one patient with that dx before working there and that person was a cutter. I got the surprise of my life being around them...and want nothing to do with Borderlines who have a combined pathology along with it.. EVER~

OMG how did you survive that? Was it one of those DBT programs? That sounds like a nightmare.
I worked in a regular general hospital with an 18 bed Psych unit. All private rooms, all primary nursing, all RN staff with one aide each shift for vitals etc. In retrospect it was a paradise. We got everything from the occasional BPD (shudder) and yes some psychotic patients, bipolar, everything.
We ran groups, had one on one time, of course meds, had an isolation room. It wasn't a locked unit.

Oh everytime a borderline was admitted we found ourselves going out for drinks after work and spending the first hour processing the trauma we'd all experienced with that one trouble maker, splitting, dramatics, you know. I worked the 3-11 shift and worked my way up to Asst Head Nurse, the last year with no Head Nurse which sent me running and screaming to my next job which was kind of a paradise...residential treatment where we were case managers.
I've had it pretty good in the work dept my whole life I have to say. My challenges always show up in other arenas.
But yeah the BPD's...hideous!

yes schizophrenia and smoking is like bread and butter. John didn't really smoke at all until he had that break. He smokes like a fiend when in a bad episode and when he's not, he will talk about quitting. I asked him about it this weekend and he said it helps him cope with the voices. Who knows?

It seems more a symptom of his episodes than a cause...but maybe a vicious circle. All I know is he went from close to 3 packs a day the last few days to 8 cigarettes a day in the hospital and he's not complaining. Which in itself is a miracle!

It's a miracle they let him smoke anything! I was afraid they'd make him stop completely. I'm glad things are calming down enough for you to get away and rest. Enjoy! Your blog post tonight was beautiful, by the way. :tyou:

Sending you off to R&R with a gentle hug and warm smile. I hope the spa brings all you expect and even more. We will miss you -- will be thinking of you --- and will be wishing you only good thoughts and peaceful days.

Adios WS World! See ya in a week! And thanks (belated) to KiminNM for sending me that sweet funny card! xoxo Off ....I.....gooooo......

I couldn't figure out how to post to your blog, so trying here.

Attachments

• butterfly_1[2]3.pps
    326.5 KB · Views: 39
There was a lot of mentions about you today, KCL, in the Zimmerman trial thread...Were you aware of this?

I just hope she wasn't headed to SFO that morning...poor thing. That news must have made her a nervous wreck. :scared:

She was flying from Phoenix to San Diego, thankfully. The resort is just over the border in Mexico.

I'm always a nervous wreck landing in San Diego. The airport is downtown and on approach you can see people in their cars on the freeway. Very freaky. I just don't look anymore! But coming in low over the water at SFO isn't fun either. I'm always sure the pilot will end up short of the runway...or clip the sea wall. And this one did. So sad.

I searched and only found two posts mentioning KCL, in connection to DeMaio's testimony.
http://websleuths.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7449175

Did I miss something else? Just interested. :)

The posts have been deleted - rightfully so in my opinion. A poster was using KCL's blog to try to convince other posters of their opinion and I thought that was wrong. I know who the poster was and what they said. Another poster was claiming that the NRA was supposedly paying a witness to go along with GZ testimony. It was a crazy day IMO. Let us move on.

She was flying from Phoenix to San Diego, thankfully. The resort is just over the border in Mexico.

I'm always a nervous wreck landing in San Diego. The airport is downtown and on approach you can see people in their cars on the freeway. Very freaky. I just don't look anymore! But coming in low over the water at SFO isn't fun either. I'm always sure the pilot will end up short of the runway...or clip the sea wall. And this one did. So sad.

I am behind here. Who went to Mexico?

I am behind here. Who went to Mexico?

I understand your confusion! :) You'd have to read back a bit to figure it out. KCL is on a much-needed vacation at a resort just over the border from San Diego. :skip:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela