KC Could Get A College Degree In Prison For Free - Thoughts Please

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She already has. She just did not graduate with her class due to her pregnancy at the time.

Respectfully, unless there was more than one pregnancy, she wasn't preg. during HS.

I bet we won't have to spend a dime on Casey's education because she didn't even bother to get the half-credit she needed to get her HS diploma and still hasn't gotten it.

Casey is too lazy to study.
SHe does have her HS degree.

I suppose it bothers me as a taxpayer. I remember hearing that Karla Holmolka got her BA in psychology or something while incarcerated. That ticked me off because not only did she get away with murder, she got a free education too! And now she is out with her new hubby and baby. ugh. Sorry for the rant.

So, yeah, Casey could get a free education. Will she? I bet she might take a few classes, but I doubt she will finish anything.

I have a boatload of student loans. My education was definitely not free, but you know what... my Dad is not in the mental hospital because of me and my daughter did celebrate her 3rd birthday and will turn 4 in under two months. I can go buy my own Reese with my own money if I want. I can buy my own fancy bras and I don't have to wear FUGLY blazers and I can go out to a club tonight if I want to. If I wanted to, I could pick up a hot guy and take him home!
I can go to the bathroom with no one waatching me. I can go for walk without a bunch of angry women yelling who knows what at me. The room doesn`t have to be cleared before I watch TV. I can hug my little princess anytime I want and Casey can't do ANY of that. Nada. Oh yeah, I don`t have lice or a boil on my butt. Casey does.

SHe does have her HS degree.

I suppose it bothers me as a taxpayer. I remember hearing that Karla Holmolka got her BA in psychology or something while incarcerated. That ticked me off because not only did she get away with murder, she got a free education too! And now she is out with her new hubby and baby. ugh. Sorry for the rant.

So, yeah, Casey could get a free education. Will she? I bet she might take a few classes, but I doubt she will finish anything.

I have a boatload of student loans. My education was definitely not free, but you know what... my Dad is not in the mental hospital because of me and my daughter did celebrate her 3rd birthday and will turn 4 in under two months. I can go buy my own Reese with my own money if I want. I can buy my own fancy bras and I don't have to wear FUGLY blazers and I can go out to a club tonight if I want to. If I wanted to, I could pick up a hot guy and take him home!
I can go to the bathroom with no one waatching me. I can go for walk without a bunch of angry women yelling who knows what at me. The room doesn`t have to be cleared before I watch TV. I can hug my little princess anytime I want and Casey can't do ANY of that. Nada. Oh yeah, I don`t have lice or a boil on my butt. Casey does.

:)
that's looking at the bright side of it!

Most lifers do get some college education. I think she better start working on getting street smarts if she is going to survive in prison.

A college degree for Casey would be....

(all together now)

.....a waste, a huge waste.

Anyone can and do get a college degree anywhere they are; even from home & on the internet ! It's a great opportunity for us all.

True, but not everybody is eligible for financial assistance or a college education at a reduced cost, but many inmates sure are.

When she graduates from High School, I'll worry about then.
LOL...I was going to say the same thing...

After she graduates from High School.. According to the POI's facebook she is already a Valencia student.... (nurse is shocked and amazed at that lie...not...)

ETA: college is not the only thing we will be paying for...for Casey. We, as tax payers will be feeding, clothing, and housing her as well. But at least (God willing a good outcome at trial) she will be eating, sleeping, and going to college far away from small children!

First, it does bother me that prisoners get free education when I can't afford to send my own children to college. My neice just became a DVM and she will be paying back her students loans for the better part of the rest of her life. I'm totally against college educations for prisoners, but what I am for is a trade that they can train for so they will be able to find work to support themselves and their families. They should earn college just like the rest of us with hard work and sacrifice. But I wanted to tell you a case that has happened in our county. It started in the '70's. A fifteen year old was arrested and when taken to the jail he got hold of one of the officer's weapons and shot and killed that officer and another officer. (That's before the officers had to lock up their guns when around prisoners.) The boy was convicted of the two murders and sent to prison. While in prison he studied law. He was close to becoming a lawyer. The boy was not suppose to get out of jail ever, but somehow he got paroled. His attorney gave him a job in his office and this boy worked there for some time. Then one day, this boy and his brother held up a bank and were shot and killed (both of them). The officer's didn't know who they were until after the fact. I guess I'm saying...even when some people are given the benefit of a doubt, they still have the criminal mentality. And that's why I don't believe we should be paying for college educations for prisoners. I realize there are some criminals that do change and I'm not categorizing any of them, but I think if they really want to prove to society they are changed people, let them live like normal people and work for what they want.

I said this before: I recently had an eye-opener about the subculture of prison life. The things they can have behind bars and the things they get to do is NOT punishment. My friends son, in on raping an underage family member, has a tv, people from family members to the church keeps his account filled with money so he doesn't have to only eat the prison food. He's found a "family" of guys on the inside, and prison life is getting to be like a damn extended camp. Those guys that don't have family to send them things, con women on the outside to send them money and things they are allowed to have. Women in prison, from what I am told even have it easier than the guys because they are better at forming the "prison" family on the inside. As long as Casey is compliant with her surroundings, she can morph her way into a prison "family" and that "family" will believe her lies... even believe that she didn't kill Caylee, if she wishes to tell them that.

Our prison system needs a serious over-haul. No wonder sex offenders re-offend... they aren't made to pay for their crimes and to get proper counseling... they are put in a prison subculture and just conform to it, not really facing their crimes.

*gets off my rambling soap box* Casey in prison has the possibility of getting a college degree paid for by tax payers... and here I sit looking at a future of serious debt if I truly want to get my BS/Masters/Doctorate... so much for being a law abiding citizen... eh?

I would rather see her lose some of her commissary benefits before I would eliminate the education she might take advantage of. At least she would have to work and make an effort if she wanted to earn a degree. She does NOTHING and is allowed to purchase all kinds of things she has no business having. Perhaps the policy will change when she goes to prison.

As far as education goes - I really don't have an issue with it because I think it is better than allowing these prisoners to sit around and get into more trouble. Even IF she were to get out some day...she will find it very difficult, if not impossible - to find anyone who will hire her. Any degree she gets will not be as good or carry as much weight as one from a regular accredited university or college which is earned by someone outside of prison. And don't forget that by being convicted of a felony, she has already severely limited the occupations that she can choose. Many are eliminated because of the felony record.

But again, before getting mad at her having the benefit of an education she has to earn with hard work....how about some more outrage for those room service orders of pork rinds and cocoa butter?

Bold is mine-

Best post I have read in this thread yet! Totally true and not just for murderers.. any and all felons!

True, but not everybody is eligible for financial assistance or a college education at a reduced cost, but many inmates sure are.

But 9 times out of 10 it's useless to them if they ever even get out of prison.

I’m divided on this, what I feel isn’t necessarily what I believe. For example I don’t think theft should be punishable by the death penalty, although many years ago my car was broken into and I lost things that were very valuable to me. If I had the opportunity I would have pulled the switch on whoever did it myself. It wouldn’t be right or appropriate but it sure would have felt good.

This brings me to the point that when we wish harm on others it changes us not them. I’m no Gandhi and in my heart I would like to see KC suffer but in my mind it would bring us down to her level. I’m not saying we should ignore the crime but saying that on a logical level enjoying pain in others no matter how awful they may be is not good for ourselves. And I'm guilty of this too.

IF you can afford it, and barring that, if you can get a grant or a loan. Some cannot, and with the economy the way it is, it's getting harder and harder.

Big if's there. So I guess I should go rob a bank, make sure I get a 10 year sentence, go to college on the taxpayers, and come out a lawyer, or whatever.

Nope, you couldn't even become a nurse!

Exactly, so instead of Casey getting any kind of free education then the county should put that money back into the young adults who it will be useful to.

& to make matters worse (not that I want to remind you or your husband of anything), but I'll bet you guys didn't receive free or even inexpensive therapy from our govt to deal with the crime...huh? I'm so sorry that you went through something terrible.:blowkiss:

You are right!:furious:

If we had an economy that could/would support college educations for all those who desire and have the capability to earn them, I'd say fine with prisoners having access to those programs. Unfortunately, we don't have that kind of economy.

Doesn't bother me. I could care less what education she gets in prison. If my guess is good, she'll be there for the rest of her life. If not, I don't think a degree from University of Florida State Prison, or whatever the prison is called, is going to be a very valuable degree for a baby killer.

Exactly.
So in an economy such as ours, we are wasting tax dollars on giving prisoners a college degree that they may never use. That makes sense :rolleyes:
The US national debt is $10,641,877,013,510.77 as of today increasing an average of $3.31 BILLION per day since Sept. 07. And people don't care that prisoners are getting paid in full education on that?

How about putting that towards a college education for the 100's of thousands of people lining up for unemployment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrancingJeeves