Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We don't know that the judge was defenseless. Personally, I suspect many judges carry because of the dangers their job may bring into their lives. I first saw/understood this in a courthouse parking lot. A man got out of his vehicle and reached inside for his jacket. As he turned I could see his gun tucked into a holster in the small of his back. Inside, I realized he was the judge, leading me to evaluate the possibility that it is smart for county judges to be able to defend themselves.

I do not automatically assume Judge Mullins was "defenseless".
Even if he was armed, he wouldn’t have time to react. He never would have expected Stines to draw his gun, and by then it would have been too late.

That his private life isn't mentioned within the obituary, but only his professional success, says a lot (if not all) to me.
not sure what exactly you are reading into that except more baloney from sources unapproved considering the following:

Tributes to Mullins poured in on social media over the weekend, from friends, relatives and others who simply knew him as a judge. Some posted memories of him chatting with colleagues outside the courthouse on smoke breaks and talking about his love for his wife and two daughters.

“Kevin was a lot of things to a lot of people,” his wife, Kimberly Mullins, wrote on Facebook. “But he was Everything to me and my girls.” Mullins said Sunday that she could not comment further.
[snip]
Among them was Emory Mullins, a 67-year-old distant cousin of the judge’s who owns Letcher Flower Shop, which provided the flowers for the service. Mullins remembered his cousin as a “wonderful person,” and said that “everybody” liked both Mullins and Stines.
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2024/09/23/nation-world-news/he-saved-many-lives-small-kentucky-community-mourns-slain-judge/amp/

We don't know that the judge was defenseless. Personally, I suspect many judges carry because of the dangers their job may bring into their lives. I first saw/understood this in a courthouse parking lot. A man got out of his vehicle and reached inside for his jacket. As he turned I could see his gun tucked into a holster in the small of his back. Inside, I realized he was the judge, leading me to evaluate the possibility that it is smart for county judges to be able to defend themselves.

I do not automatically assume Judge Mullins was "defenseless".
I do, unless told otherwise by investigators. Because WS is victim and LE friendly this case is unusual, I will admit. However, Sheriff Stines was charged with murder. not manslaughter, not self defense, not defense of another, murder. MOO JMO feels to me like people WANT there to be some justification but thus far there doesn't appear to be one.

WYMT-TV is reporting that some offices of the Letcher County Courthouse have reopened this morning.

The Letcher County judge executive office, property value administrator's office, and county clerk's office are open.

WYMT-TV also reported that the Letcher County Court system will be closed until Monday September 30 and any scheduled court appearances for this week will need to be postponed.

Source:

Some Offices In Letcher County Courthouse Reopen

I find it both ironic and sad that Sheriff MS is continually referred to as a family man. His actions have resulted in not only murdering a judge and "blowing up" his own life but also will have lifetime of (mostly adverse) impacts for his family and the community as a whole. MOO.

I find it both ironic and sad that Sheriff MS is continually referred to as a family man. His actions have resulted in not only murdering a judge and "blowing up" his own life but also will have lifetime of (mostly adverse) impacts for his family and the community as a whole. MOO.

They are likely talking about it in the context of what they experienced before all of this. Kind of a hate the sin but not the sinner thing.

I don't know if this particular article has been posted yet. It has some interesting tidbits including everything seemed fine to the Court Clerk between the Sheriff and Judge as they went to have lunch "down the street". The other thing I wasn't aware of is that the lawsuit is federal...on what grounds is it a federal case?

Sep 19, 2024

Kentucky State Police speak after judge shot and killed
I'm not sure how things are done in Kentucky (I'm in CA so I only know what happens here). In our state you have to go through metal detectors and have your bag searched to even get into the courthouse. Was the sheriff posibly working inside the courthouse when the shooting occured? (thus being able to have a gun?)

They are likely talking about it in the context of what they experienced before all of this. Kind of a hate the sin but not the sinner thing.

Irony is with reference to sin/sinner, there's also the command to not kill anyone. Imo.

Because of MS's actions, his family has to live with the consequences forever (husband/dad no longer home, a wage earner is gone, family assets will probably be used for his defense, he won't likely be free to be a part of future family milestones like weddings or grandchildren or even funerals of loved ones, missing being a part of daily life, etc.). Whatever the reason, MS chose to be a judge and jury not only to his victim but also for his family. (And everyone else who is affected by these events.) That takes a lot of hubris. Imo and MOO.

My guess would be, this is the way folks felt about the man before he blew up his own life and blew away the judge.
Stating that he was a decent guy, family man, honorable, etc., was how folks thought of him then, and likely why this is such a shock to folks commenting in the media.

It makes perfect sense to me.

jmo

I'm not sure how things are done in Kentucky (I'm in CA so I only know what happens here). In our state you have to go through metal detectors and have your bag searched to even get into the courthouse. Was the sheriff posibly working inside the courthouse when the shooting occured? (thus being able to have a gun?)

Saw an article that mentioned no metal detectors at this courthouse. As Sheriff, I would think MS would be allowed his service weapon regardless.

<modsnip>

ETA:

While the shooting sent some residents looking for answers, it prompted some to advocate for more adequate safety protocols at the Letcher County Courthouse, including installing a metal detector and adding security at the entrance.

“The Letcher County Courthouse is one of the last that you can walk into without a metal detector or security at the front door,” said Matt Butler, commonwealth’s attorney for Letcher County, in a video statement Friday. “This is unacceptable in 2024. It was unacceptable when I started in 2007.”

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason the sheriff is being called “honorable” is definitely a mystery. Hoping more information will come out that will shed light on the situation.
Appalachia was / is an honor culture.

I am thinking that the honorable tag is a reference that he follows traditional Appalachian cultural norms. Its probably used as a generic term of respect in the area.

As a side note, Sicily, Sardinia and southern Italy had the same honor system. One could be in the Mafia, have committed murder etc. and still be viewed as 'honorable' depending on the circumstances.

Last edited:
"his private life isn't mentioned within the obituary" was the comment you cited -- seems to have struck a nerve; I was amused by your reaching out with "more baloney from sources unapproved" and then "Mullins said Sunday that she could not comment further"....nothing to do with an obituary - and from a Hawaiian paper (no offense to Hawaiians, but nothing local?) What could she not comment about?

I also thought the obit was 'unusual' -- used to seeing: "[deceased] is survived by" etc.

Found your take on it amusing -- not HaHa funny....

Judge Mullins' obituary does have the "survived by" info.
Besides his mother, he is survived by his wife; Kimberly, two daughters; Mya and Ava, one sister; Kimberley Bledsoe, three nephews; Channing West, Evan West, Ian Butler and one niece; Ivy Butler.

Community Members' Characterization of Sheriff?
The reason the sheriff is being called “honorable” is definitely a mystery. Hoping more information will come out that will shed light on the situation.
JMO
@IceIce9 :)
Yes, NOW since Sept 19, seems strange for people who have known him to say he IS "honorable", but likely from their PoV, right up THRU midafternoon Sept 19 he was honorable, at least to them.

ETA: Maybe difficult for local commenters to change mental gears.
Cognitive dissonance?

Like you, waiting for more info.
Hopefully factual, not just rumors or insinuations.

My guess would be, this is the way folks felt about the man before he blew up his own life and blew away the judge.
Stating that he was a decent guy, family man, honorable, etc., was how folks thought of him then, and likely why this is such a shock to folks commenting in the media.

It makes perfect sense to me.

jmo

It makes sense to me too. But, after the fact, I'm having a hard time thinking of him being a "family man". Just MOO.

Irony is with reference to sin/sinner, there's also the command to not kill anyone. Imo.

Because of MS's actions, his family has to live with the consequences forever (husband/dad no longer home, a wage earner is gone, family assets will probably be used for his defense, he won't likely be free to be a part of future family milestones like weddings or grandchildren or even funerals of loved ones, missing being a part of daily life, etc.). Whatever the reason, MS chose to be a judge and jury not only to his victim but also for his family. (And everyone else who is affected by these events.) That takes a lot of hubris. Imo and MOO.

Oh I agree about the (alleged) actions ruining a lot of lives, I was thinking of it in small town terms where “everybody knows everybody” and people have to watch what they say.

In the state where I live sworn officers bypass the metal detectors as they are allowed to bring guns into the courthouse.

JMO

My thoughts are that a person who shoots someone like this (knowing the extreme consequences he faces) might feel like he has nothing left to lose. If he’s going to jail he doesn’t care because something has happened that has alienated him from his family, or something along those lines.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minushka
Back